• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TitanMike

Solo 53865 is showing on route 86, currently heading to Newquay. From when I was down in Holywell Bay these were solid decker workings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
A random question, are you allowed to use the DayTripper services as a normal service with a standard Kernow day ticket rather than using them as they intend. I’m planning a trip involving catching the return journey at 1330, but not actually using the outward journey.

83G/84D

Established Member
Very surprised to see some of the 'temporary fleet' appearing on the bus tracker today.
30565 on U1, 32014 on D5, 32015 on 87 and 32069 on S2. Or are these because of ticket machine swaps?

They see regular use on normal services as well as college duties so nothing particularly unusual.

On the Buses

A random question, are you allowed to use the DayTripper services as a normal service with a standard Kernow day ticket rather than using them as they intend. I’m planning a trip involving catching the return journey at 1330, but not actually using the outward journey.
Yes

richw

Veteran Member
Very surprised to see some of the 'temporary fleet' appearing on the bus tracker today.
30565 on U1, 32014 on D5, 32015 on 87 and 32069 on S2. Or are these because of ticket machine swaps?
32014 ran dead to Eden, but will work the 1330 and 1700 D5 as it’s the Eden supervisors vehicle. Solos worked the 0900 and 1000 D5. Dead runs seem to be tracking now under the next scheduled run the bus will do

embers25

Established Member
Driver on the D9 only had me as a passenger but was helping TfC people with info happily and the friendly D11 driver also only had me as a passenger until just outside Padstow where we grabbed 4 passengers from TfC as they were late. He also ensured I made the Atlantic Coaster just at Padstow Tesco which I'm the only one on now waiting for time in Newquay. Excellent service all round so far although loadings not the best except the 1100 from Newquay to Padstow which was very busy on top.
I'm guessing it's not allowed but could the Ride Cornwall not be sold on the kernow app as I'd much rather they got my money than TfC or GWR given it's their service innovations that bring me here in the first place.

Coaster is lightly timed to Pereanporth and impossible after...even given we missed both Perran Sands Holiday Park and
Porthtowan completely.
32069 I can confirm is on the S2 as we passed it. 30955 also in the bus station.. 32015 is parked up at St Austell

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Driver on the D9 only had me as a passenger but was helping TfC people with info happily and the friendly D11 driver also only had me as a passenger until just outside Padstow where we grabbed 4 passengers from TfC as they were late. He also ensured I made the Atlantic Coaster just at Padstow Tesco which I'm the only one on now waiting for time in Newquay. Excellent service all round so far although loadings not the best except the 1100 from Newquay to Padstow which was very busy on top.
I'm guessing it's not allowed but could the Ride Cornwall not be sold on the kernow app as I'd much rather they got my money than TfC or GWR given it's their service innovations that bring me here in the first place.

Coaster is lightly timed to Pereanporth and impossible after...even given we missed both Perran Sands Holiday Park and
Porthtowan completely.
32069 I can confirm is on the S2 as we passed it. 30955 also in the bus station.. 32015 is parked up at St Austell
I was your D9 driver.

embers25

Established Member
I was your D9 driver.
Lol well my compliments good sir, you were a credit to Kernow along with the D11 driver. Really hope daytripper picks up in the hols as it is a great idea and both were great rides and the great bus arrival and grande depart at Eden is cool too. I had a great day out.

richw

Veteran Member
Lol well my compliments good sir, you were a credit to Kernow along with the D11 driver. Really hope daytripper picks up in the hols as it is a great idea and both were great rides and the great bus arrival and grande depart at Eden is cool too. I had a great day out.
Thank You.
It’s got a lot of potential, and I’d like to see it develop and numbers pick up.

Accelerator59

Little bit miffed at the driver of 37045 around 2:25pm today at Marazion/Long Rock roundabout who cut me up there. Didn’t even attempt to slow down, just waltzed his way through. Beeped my horn at him, and he then stopped, presumably annoyed that I beeped at him.

Lizard1324

It's nice to see some older buses in the fleet, but they are well looked after with the open top Presidents and East lances looking younger then they are.
It's a shame kernow don't still have 32755 as that was really clean for it's age, unfortunately met it's fate.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's nice to see some older buses in the fleet, but they are well looked after with the open top Presidents and East lances looking younger then they are.
It's a shame kernow don't still have 32755 as that was really clean for it's age, unfortunately met it's fate.
I thought 32755 had all sorts of electrical issues?

nanstallon

Are bus passes accepted?

Thank You.
It’s got a lot of potential, and I’d like to see it develop and numbers pick up.
When I was at Eden Friday last week, there was barely anyone using the daytripper services. I don’t think the lack of advertising is helping so hopefully if it starts being advertised more, numbers I’m sure will pick up. Maybe some more journeys could be added in the future also as I still feel that you just don’t get enough time at some of the places. I do apologise if I’m sounding negative but I’m just speaking my mind here.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
When I was at Eden Friday last week, there was barely anyone using the daytripper services. I don’t think the lack of advertising is helping so hopefully if it starts being advertised more, numbers I’m sure will pick up. Maybe some more journeys could be added in the future also as I still feel that you just don’t get enough time at some of the places. I do apologise if I’m sounding negative but I’m just speaking my mind here.
Most touring coaches only give a similar 2-3 hours at destinations then move on.

embers25

Established Member
The rail tour from Derby yesterday gave 90 mins at St Ives which became an hour due to delays. 7+ hours each way for 1 hour.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The rail tour from derby yesterday gave 90 mins at st Ives which became an hour due to delays. 7+ hours each way for 1 hour.
That's the nature of railtours. You don't go on them specifically to spend a lot of time at the destination. It's all about the travel.

Looking on Bustimes there are no less than four closed tops on the Land's End Coaster today. That's 50% of the PVR.

Last edited:

vla50

Not on DayTripper except between St Austell and Eden

Why?
Marc Huws put out a tweet saying it was not for something expected, and I think a vaccination bus could maybe match that description, but I obviously don't work for Kernow so I wouldn't know.

On the Buses

Marc put out a tweet saying it was not for something expected, and I think a vaccination bus could maybe match that description, but I obviously don't work for Kernow so I wouldn't know.
I’m not sure that makes it ‘likely’