• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Trenitalia (Avanti!) WCML branding, naming and livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

I13

The WiFi, on Pendolinos at least, has been renamed "westcoastfreewifi" - yesterday, there was still a Virgin logo on the landing page, but today it is no more. The Virgin name is still there in the URL, though.

The automated announcement this morning began with "Welcome on board _this train_" (as opposed to Virgin Trains), with the "this train" sounding very stitched together (rather reminiscent of LNR announcements soon after they won the franchise). As we arrived, the announcement had the usual "and please mind the step down to the platform", but ended there, dropping the "Thank you for travelling with Virgin Trains".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprunt

They are amusing, but they are a bit unimaginative and do cause issues by people thinking they're the real ones.

It doesn't help that the real one isn't verified. I've never been involved with a corporate account, but is that not something that companies can sort out with the social media companies before launching the account, does anyone know?

Darandio

Established Member
It doesn't help that the real one isn't verified. I've never been involved with a corporate account, but is that not something that companies can sort out with the social media companies before launching the account, does anyone know?

Twitter suspended the verification process some time ago. I've no doubt people in higher places can arrange it though.

nlogax

Established Member
It's really quite impressive at the way VTWC have almost entirely erased their own branding before they cease to be on December 8th. How come this has been so perceptibly efficient compared to other TOC handovers we've known and winced at? I'm assuming this is contractual?

py_megapixel

Established Member
It's really quite impressive at the way VTWC have almost entirely erased their own branding before they cease to be on December 8th. How come this has been so perceptibly efficient compared to other TOC handovers we've known and winced at? I'm assuming this is contractual?
I was assuming that as well, though I'm unsure. It could possibly be that Virgin simply doesn't want their brand to stick around under the new franchise though.

Incidentally, why is everything always debranded, rather than simply rolling out the "Avanti" brand in announcements, on-board services etc. now? Also, rather unprofessionally, their flashy marketing videos do not have subtitles for the hearing impaired, nor have they updated the "West Coast Partnership" site to reflect the new brand.

sigma421

Automated announcements on my train this afternoon have changed to ‘welcome onboard this train’.

zn1

at least its been done with a bit of dignity, last thing you want to see is a bit of vinyl painted over crudely or a another logo pasted over top...London Midland being a classic example of it...

Energy

Established Member
West Midlands Trains took a while to rebrand, lots of the stickers on the inside or still LM ones despite them being refurbished units. Meanwhile Virgin Trains are barely existent (apart from the red) and they still have 5 days left.

rdlover777

kind of surprised Avanti isnt running under First Avanti with first barbie liveried 390s since First is a known brand here in the UK, kind of like how Brightline in the US is now know as Virgin Trains America because Virgin is a known brand

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
kind of surprised Avanti isnt running under First Avanti with first barbie liveried 390s since First is a known brand here in the UK, kind of like how Brightline in the US is now know as Virgin Trains America because Virgin is a known brand

First are moving away from slapping the F-in-circle all over everything, and the DaFT don't want them to either.

First seem to have been stepping away from that kind of identity, they dropped "First" from their Great Western and Transpennine TOCs, and they didn't even bother with it when they got the South Western franchise. They still have it on Hull Trains though, but even then I don't think they refer to it as "First Hull Trains" anymore.

nlogax

Established Member
Incidentally, why is everything always debranded, rather than simply rolling out the "Avanti" brand in announcements, on-board services etc. now? Also, rather unprofessionally, their flashy marketing videos do not have subtitles for the hearing impaired, nor have they updated the "West Coast Partnership" site to reflect the new brand.

Not sure why the metaphorical air gap between brands, other than to give the newcomer time to make their own mark on things. It feels like it'll be an (almost literal) fresh sheet of paper for AWC, that's for sure.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure why the metaphorical air gap between brands, other than to give the newcomer time to make their own mark on things. It feels like it'll be an (almost literal) fresh sheet of paper for AWC, that's for sure.

It's simply because the outgoing franchisee is required to remove their brand before they finish, and the new one can't practically add theirs until they start.

DMU180

I'd also put it down to the fact that Virgin is a known brand which is continuing in other businesses. They sell their brand to companies, for example, Virgin Media has nothing to do with Richard Branson, they just pay him a load of money to call themselves Virgin. Avanti West Coast would probably be charged licensing costs if the Virgin brand was still visible anywhere.

Mathew S

Established Member
Twitter suspended the verification process some time ago. I've no doubt people in higher places can arrange it though.
Indeed. Those who run accounts with a genuine need for it will have the contacts to get it done.

Darandio

Established Member
Avanti West Coast would probably be charged licensing costs if the Virgin brand was still visible anywhere.

I doubt it, it isn't their obligation to remove the brand. You cannot charge if you didn't remove the brand as instructed.

DMU180

I doubt it, it isn't their obligation to remove the brand. You cannot charge if you didn't remove the brand as instructed.

I'm pretty sure it is Virgin Trains' obligation to remove it for Virgin Group Management. That would be why Virgin Trains are getting it removed from everywhere.

cheese

Virgin, as a brand, is pretty much just that; a brand. I'd think Virgin Group will be taking every step they can to protect it and ensure the public no longer see them as in any way responsible for the West Coast services. They could also be preparing to licence it to new railway-related ventures after the current Virgin Trains brand is gone.

xc170

Virgin probably don't want First damaging the brand after they take over...

Let's be honest, what was the last franchise to change hands that didn't suffer from terrible performance and strikes for the first 12-18 months?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The automated announcement this morning began with "Welcome on board _this train_" (as opposed to Virgin Trains), with the "this train" sounding very stitched together (rather reminiscent of LNR announcements soon after they won the franchise). As we arrived, the announcement had the usual "and please mind the step down to the platform", but ended there, dropping the "Thank you for travelling with Virgin Trains".

Surely just “Welcome Onboard. We’ll be travelling to <station>” would suffice. Seems a bit weird sticking two words together

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Couple of screens in Glasgow Central advertising Avanti today. Quite weird that Virgin is almost all gone, compared to its dominance a few years ago.

Darandio

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it is Virgin Trains' obligation to remove it for Virgin Group Management. That would be why Virgin Trains are getting it removed from everywhere.

Yes, as well as a Virgin Trains obligation as per the franchise handover. Your post seemed to suggest that if Virgin Trains didn't meet this obligation and left branding in situ, then they could then charge Avanti West Coast licensing costs. Which would be hilarious and quite the money making scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.