• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

stuart81

Then there's the three which were randomly diverted to Eastern Counties (66950/57/59) which despite still being here 15 years on have displayed the nomadic qualities of their sisters in Bath, by managing to work at every EC depot apart from King's Lynn in their lifetime. :lol:

Not sure why they ended up here, at the time the only B7RLEs were a small batch dedicated to Norwich Park and Ride (69005-11).
If I remember correctly, Great Yarmouth were getting a battering about the standard of their vehicles in the media so I think they were diverted as a way to try and improve relations

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Then there's the three which were randomly diverted to Eastern Counties (66950/57/59) which despite still being here 15 years on have displayed the nomadic qualities of their sisters in Bath, by managing to work at every EC depot apart from King's Lynn in their lifetime. :lol:

Not sure why they ended up here, at the time the only B7RLEs were a small batch dedicated to Norwich Park and Ride (69005-11).
I have to say, they do look very smart in the latest Ipswich scheme too - First really do seem be learning how to come up with smart localised liveries of late.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I was very surprised to see a former Dart 2 SLF / ALX200 (?) which I think was V735 FAE heading up Whiteladies Road, Bristol sometime between 12noon and 1pm today. Didn't know any of them were left in these parts.

Dave

carlberry

Established Member
I was very surprised to see a former Dart 2 SLF / ALX200 (?) which I think was V735 FAE heading up Whiteladies Road, Bristol sometime between 12noon and 1pm today. Didn't know any of them were left in these parts.

Dave
It's been in preservation for a few years now.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Anyone know what has happened to 32360? It came to Bath from Weston in exchange for 32338 earlier this month. According to the tracker Bath used it for one day on 8 Feb but it has now disappeared off the tracker.

Private Baxter

Established Member
If I remember correctly, Great Yarmouth were getting a battering about the standard of their vehicles in the media so I think they were diverted as a way to try and improve relations
Had always wondered why three random ones ended up being sent east, whilst the other 25 came straight to WoE.
I have to say, they do look very smart in the latest Ipswich scheme too - First really do seem be learning how to come up with smart localised liveries of late.

at least they are still there. I think they have had several liveries over the last five years, as have several of the ex Bath ones. Funny to think others still run in their original barbie!

Whiteway215

Established Member
32007 went to Press at Avonmouth for a repaint on 8 February.

I’ve been told that (sadly!) 32291 and 32360 have been withdrawn at Bath.

aquae39

32007 went to Press at Avonmouth for a repaint on 8 February.

I’ve been told that (sadly!) 32291 and 32360 have been withdrawn at Bath.
Bath last Barbie was withdrawn, Bristol 32283 also withdrawn, this means all Barbie double deckers are all gone now from WOE. Only a few Barbie Eclipses left on 72/a.
A bit off topic: I wonder if Faresaver can operate their B7TLs on X31 when clean air zone becomes effective.

DaveLondon

Bath last Barbie was withdrawn, Bristol 32283 also withdrawn, this means all Barbie double deckers are all gone now from WOE. Only a few Barbie Eclipses left on 72/a.
A bit off topic: I wonder if Faresaver can operate their B7TLs on X31 when clean air zone becomes effective.
Off topic reply - they have more B9TLs recently acquired which may answer your question

Volvodart

Established Member
It is probably that they are not really needed, as there are unlikely to be many similar Euro 3 B7RLEs needed too.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Question about off topic query......
Is the problem with the B7TL that it simply can't be modified - or that it's too expensive to modify ?

It is probably that they are not really needed, as there are unlikely to be many similar Euro 3 B7RLEs needed too.

It's a fair chunk of money to spend on vehicles that are getting on for 17 years old.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's a fair chunk of money to spend on vehicles that are getting on for 17 years old.
Quite. I was just trying to understand whether or not it's even possible to upgrade a B7TL. I guess the answer is anything is possible, but it might need a whole new engine/exhaust?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Regarding Bath's redundant B7RLEs

66720 removed for scrap this week-which particular dealer not known.
66722/27 removed for scrap this week believed gone to Ripleys.
66725 still at Bath depot today believed to be for donation.
66726 purchased by driver/private individual and seen in Bath today being driven by new owner.

32291 also noted this morning in process of being decommissioned.

Private Baxter

Established Member

66726 purchased by driver/private individual and seen in Bath today being driven by new owner.

Thank you for the update on these buses. It had been speculated that one of them, possibly 66720 would have been preserved, so whilst this one hasn't been, delighted to see 66726 chosen instead. I wonder what the new owner has planned for it.
That said, sad nonetheless to see others go for scrap.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Thanks for that update.

Whilst I'm pleased to see 66726 being saved, I hope it doesn't disappear into the ether like so many others vehicles that enter preservation; remember this https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751...vPG-Mm5ph9-paJhvP-oTeru9-jB9zeF-paAQEr-yXPXgC (credit to photographer) when 34564 was dragged out from somewhere at Lawrence Hill. Seem to recall a former Badgerline Bedford/Duple trainer as well?

swifty

Established Member
Thanks for that update.

Whilst I'm pleased to see 66726 being saved, I hope it doesn't disappear into the ether like so many others vehicles that enter preservation; remember this https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751...vPG-Mm5ph9-paJhvP-oTeru9-jB9zeF-paAQEr-yXPXgC (credit to photographer) when 34564 was dragged out from somewhere at Lawrence Hill. Seem to recall a former Badgerline Bedford/Duple trainer as well?

A964THW and EKU75V (I think) had both been stored at Caerwent for a number of years. You can see them in the background of the ‘80s Hot Hatch’ episode of Top Gear, before they moved to Muller.

Presumably both had since been scrapped? I’ve a vague recollection of it being mentioned they and the Lance SLF and L reg Voly/Palatine 2 parked round the back were all owned by/loaned to Gwent Police?

It’d be nice to see 66726 eventually repainted into Badgerline livery though!

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A964THW and EKU75V (I think) had both been stored at Caerwent for a number of years. You can see them in the background of the ‘80s Hot Hatch’ episode of Top Gear, before they moved to Muller.

Presumably both had since been scrapped? I’ve a vague recollection of it being mentioned they were owned/loaned to Gwent Police?

Really? I thought I'd seen they'd been in LH depot and moved to Muller Road; they moved at the same time as the anti-Wessex expansion. Thanks for the correction though it's a bit odd that they were dragged back to MR to sit and decay before being sent for scrap; like you, I assume that was their fate.

swifty

Established Member
Really? I thought they'd been in LH depot and moved to Muller Road; they moved at the same time as the anti-Wessex expansion. Thanks for the correction though it's a bit odd that they were dragged back to MR to sit and decay before being sent for scrap; like you, I assume that was their fate.
I’ve just been looking into 9654 and it’s apparently still work in progress in preservation!

swifty

Established Member
Really? I thought I'd seen they'd been in LH depot and moved to Muller Road; they moved at the same time as the anti-Wessex expansion. Thanks for the correction though it's a bit odd that they were dragged back to MR to sit and decay before being sent for scrap; like you, I assume that was their fate.

The four of them were certainly at Caerwent in 2014 and by that time the Duple looks to have been in the same spot since 2004.

That's good to know.

I do admire those who have the sufficient skills, energy and money to preserve and restore historic vehicles. I know I couldn't do it.

Completley agree, it must be a long labour of love. It certainly looked like it needed a lot of TLC when at Muller Road.

Former First Bristol A964 THW 34564 (9564)
by firstbusphotos, on Flickr

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

The four of them were certainly at Caerwent in 2014 and by that time the Duple looks to have been in the same spot since 2004.

Completley agree, it must be a long labour of love. It certainly looked like it needed a lot of TLC when at Muller Road.

Former First Bristol A964 THW 34564 (9564)
by firstbusphotos, on Flickr

So the need to vacate Caerwent, and the increase in operations at Lawrence Hill, were purely coincidental. I'd forgotten about the Pathfinder and the Palatine 2 - seem to recall that they were out the back of Muller Road and had been thoroughly trashed.

And in completely different news, @Jordan Adam reports on the Aberdeen thread that 37633/4 are heading south to Bath today.

Guess that their arrival will allow the disposal of either some ALXs and/or the cascade of Gemini B7TLs elsewhere within First.

Last edited:

swifty

Established Member
So the need to vacate Caerwent, and the increase in operations at Lawrence Hill, were purely coincidental. I'd forgotten about the Pathfinder and the Palatine 2 - seem to recall that they were out the back of Muller Road and had been thoroughly trashed.
Seems that way, there must’ve been a reason for the four to end up there. I know the Lance (67640) was scrapped in the end, that was throughly trashed by the vandals that plagued Muller Road, but I wonder what happened to the Palatine 2 and the old Duple trainer?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Seems that way, there must’ve been a reason for the four to end up there. I know the Lance (67640) was scrapped in the end, that was throughly trashed by the vandals that plagued Muller Road, but I wonder what happened to the Palatine 2 and the old Duple trainer?

The Lance was 67340 and it looked pretty bad by the end

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhugh...c2j-kA5LpS-dWfTfW-juUB6Q-7b1bDQ-7NrCMq-pBB2Mt

Same with 34154

https://www.flickr.com/photos/first...Uz-qhdW3V-ARu55X-unkTe5-AfQf1c-22qu35d-wp5oph

so expect it also went for scrap. Credit to photographers

It was certainly an interesting phase when stuff was being dumped there from various OpCos. Seem to recall most were short term residents but the Excels were there for years. There were some Irizar coaches that may have passed through en route for sale, and I seem to recall two or three Darts arriving there that were subsequently reactivated for FWoE - 42109 was one and another from the same batch, plus one of those ex Hong Kong ones IIRC.

freetoview33

Established Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jhugh...c2j-kA5LpS-dWfTfW-juUB6Q-7b1bDQ-7NrCMq-pBB2Mt

Same with 34154

https://www.flickr.com/photos/first...Uz-qhdW3V-ARu55X-unkTe5-AfQf1c-22qu35d-wp5oph

It was certainly an interesting phase when stuff was being dumped there from various OpCos. Seem to recall most were short term residents but the Excels were there for years. There were some Irizar coaches that may have passed through en route for sale, and I seem to recall two or three Darts arriving there that were subsequently reactivated for FWoE - 42109 was one and another from the same batch, plus one of those ex Hong Kong ones IIRC.
It was a sight to see when going past

35160 still has serving South Bristol branding

Last edited:

DaveLondon

Presumably both had since been scrapped? I’ve a vague recollection of it being mentioned they and the Lance SLF and L reg Voly/Palatine 2 parked round the back were all owned by/loaned to Gwent Police?

I am interested in EKU 75V - my records show it passing to Avon & Somerset Constabulary in 4/02 and then going to Ripley, Carlton 2/05 for scrap. Curiously according to DVLA it was taxed until 12/14 which does not seem to fit!! What is the Caerleon site? Any ideas on this vehicle?

swifty

Established Member
I am interested in EKU 75V - my records show it passing to Avon & Somerset Constabulary in 4/02 and then going to Ripley, Carlton 2/05 for scrap. Curiously according to DVLA it was taxed until 12/14 which does not seem to fit!! What is the Caerleon site? Any ideas on this vehicle?
Interesting that it was Avon & Somerset, I wonder if that’s who the other 3 were with as well then? She survived Muller Road and in 2015 surprisingly...

Same with 34154

Ah, 67340, that’s the badger! Neither were in that bad a nick when the arrived, the vandals destroyed them and many others, so it’s surprising the Excels and the Irizars lasted so long unscathed in the yard.

I’d also forgot the amount of vehicles from FDC, FHD and Cymru that also stopped off on their way to Barnsley.

Last edited:

DaveLondon

Interesting that it was Avon & Somerset, I wonder if that’s who the other 3 were with as well then? She survived Muller Road and in 2015 surprisingly...

Ah, 67340, that’s the badger! Neither were in that bad a nick when the arrived, the vandals destroyed them and many others, so it’s surprising the Excels and the Irizars lasted so long unscathed in the yard.

I’d also forgot the amount of vehicles from FDC, FHD and Cymru that also stopped off on their way to Barnsley.
Swifty re EKU - that's brilliant! (in a sad sort of way!). Do you know whose yard that is?