• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
It says withdrawn 66725 is on the Bath and West Showground Shuttles today but I thought it got withdrawn do any of you know which bus that one actually is Thanks.

66725 was withdrawn at Bath around 9 January. All its sisters at Bath went for scrap apart from 66726 which is preserved. I was told 66725 was down to be donated somewhere. Today I heard it had gone to the Fire Service Training Centre so I doubt if it’s the bus on the Showground Shuttles.
66725 gone to fire brigade (will take a few years to burn the mould on that). 66726 I think sold elsewhere

Bath’s 32329/30/43 have now been transferred to the Wessex, Dorset and South Somerset tracker and there is discussion on First Hampshire & Dorset Enthusiasts website they are due for open top conversion.
Having driven most of those that's quite a surprise they'll be open top. 32329 certainly seems a lot of internal improvements. Mechanically though they're pretty good, though they take forever to pull away and aren't the best on hills.

It definitely won’t be Thornton’s! It’ll probably somewhere like Graysons.
Graysons

It is notable that according to the tracker the Weston Streetlites in Badgerline livery have been used on the 20 ( and the 1 ) for the last few days. So perhaps the 20 will be part of the "town" services this year . Two open toppers and 39005 for spare / wet weather should cover the 1 for the summer timetable. With the lock down extended until May there will not be too many passengers for a while.
It's been confirmed that 20 will be single deck this summer as trees have not been cut back, presumably Streetlites and darts. 32011/3 are for 1 along with 39005. Considering its reliability issues, I'm somewhat surprised 39005 has gone to Weston. There was some rumour going that it would go back to York, but clearly not the case.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
With the emission zone in Bath starting on 15th March are there still any non compliant buses (euro I-V) remaining.

Is the policy simply to take another city’s compliant buses, and move the non compliant stuff to somewhere else (a sort of move the pollution rather than reduce it policy)

Bath doesn’t seem to have gained any new buses as a result of LEZ, perhaps I have just missed them but I haven’t seen anything less than 3-4 years old, and many of them seem to be 2012 buses originally used for Olympic spectators

carlberry

Established Member
With the emission zone in Bath starting on 15th March are there still any non compliant buses (euro I-V) remaining.

Is the policy simply to take another city’s compliant buses, and move the non compliant stuff to somewhere else (a sort of move the pollution rather than reduce it policy)

Bath doesn’t seem to have gained any new buses as a result of LEZ, perhaps I have just missed them but I haven’t seen anything less than 3-4 years old, and many of them seem to be 2012 buses originally used for Olympic spectators
I believe there were only a few none compliant left with First as of a few weeks ago so likely all gone now, the majority of vehicles have had engine mods to make them Euro 6. Bath has quite a few of the vehicles that were used at the Olympics however I don't think their use for that really effected them much. I suspect most operators would rather have those than something after 7 years in London.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I believe there were only a few none compliant left with First as of a few weeks ago so likely all gone now, the majority of vehicles have had engine mods to make them Euro 6. Bath has quite a few of the vehicles that were used at the Olympics however I don't think their use for that really effected them much. I suspect most operators would rather have those than something after 7 years in London.
Think they've largely been cleared out. There were a few elderly B7TLs still knocking around a week or two ago but even they may have moved. In the meantime, whilst waiting for some Aberdeen B9s to arrive, a few B9TLs are on loan from Bristol. The older vehicles (2007-2012 vintage) like B7, Eclipses B9s and e400s have been retrofitted with engine mods etc or, in the case of e400Hs, been repowered.

Vehicles show a First standard green logo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141674251@N02/50976584442/in/photostream/

And a blue rear sticker (which I suspect is a council one)

Credit to photographer. The last new vehicles that Bath received were their Solos in 2018, though they did get the 2018 e400s to update the X39. Mostly, it is with older but compliant fleet; First West of England did get a lot of new vehicles in early 2020 but as they're CNG powered, they're at Lawrence Hill though their arrival allowed the e400s to move to the X39.

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member

I believe there's a couple of euro6 mods to be done. I do question if 33731 has been done for euro6. The way to usually tell if it's been modified is the amber/red lights on the right of the driver next to the handbrake. All the Wells enviros/B9s have this.

32543-5 I believe are moving to Bristol with some B9s going on loan to Bath for a while until the 6 Aberdeen B9s turn up from their euro6 mods. I don't know how many B9s from Bristol or which depot from.

All the rest of the old stock has been withdrawn or transferred elsewhere.

In terms of new fleet, they had euro6 compliant solos new in 2018. Everything else has been modified to meet the emission standards.

Trust me those ex Olympic enviros really aren't the best after being left with Rotala. A prime example is 33737 - the only good thing on that is the suspension

Any of the 12 plate fleet which has always been with First seems to be in a pretty good shape, but the euro6 mods are making them unreliable, especially in Wells.

Think they've largely been cleared out. There were a few elderly B7TLs still knocking around a week or two ago but even they may have moved. In the meantime, whilst waiting for some Aberdeen B9s to arrive, a few B9TLs are on loan from Bristol. The older vehicles (2007-2012 vintage) like B7, Eclipses B9s and e400s have been retrofitted with engine mods etc or, in the case of e400Hs, been repowered.

Vehicles show a First standard green logo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141674251@N02/50976584442/in/photostream/

And a blue rear sticker (which I suspect is a council one)

Credit to photographer. The last new vehicles that Bath received were their Solos in 2018, though they did get the 2018 e400s to update the X39. Mostly, it is with older but compliant fleet; First West of England did get a lot of new vehicles in early 2020 but as they're CNG powered, they're at Lawrence Hill though their arrival allowed the e400s to move to the X39.
Correct, blue sticker is the council one saying it's compliant.

Like I say I question if some of these are actually compliant. 33731 doesn't have an indicator to say it's been modified. It might have been done in a different way admittedly, but it's got all the stickers.

Something which surprises me is the 56 plate Enviros in Weston, which all have the euro6 green stickers. I was under the impression these couldn't be modified but clearly I'm wrong.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Trust me those ex Olympic enviros really aren't the best after being left with Rotala. A prime example is 33737 - the only good thing on that is the suspension

Any of the 12 plate fleet which has always been with First seems to be in a pretty good shape, but the euro6 mods are making them unreliable, especially in Wells.
Yes, I forgot about that; be careful who you lend things to!

Whiteway215

Established Member
32543-5 I believe are moving to Bristol with some B9s going on loan to Bath for a while until the 6 Aberdeen B9s turn up from their euro6 mods. I don't know how many B9s from Bristol or which depot from.

All the rest of the old stock has been withdrawn or transferred elsewhere.
I don’t know if 32543 or 32544 have been moved out from Bath yet but I presume their move to Bristol will take place soon. Meanwhile 32545 continues to see daily use wending its way to Southdown on the Bath 1.

Another mystery is 32360 which came to Bath from Weston and seems to have seen one day on service in Bath on 8 Feb and has now disappeared.

One more question I have regarding the Bath LEZ is what will happen with Wessex Water contract 44902/3/4? These are 08 plate so could these have been modified to comply?

THarris123

Established Member
I don’t know if 32543 or 32544 have been moved out from Bath yet but I presume their move to Bristol will take place soon. Meanwhile 32545 continues to see daily use wending its way to Southdown on the Bath 1.

Another mystery is 32360 which came to Bath from Weston and seems to have seen one day on service in Bath on 8 Feb and has now disappeared.

One more question I have regarding the Bath LEZ is what will happen with Wessex Water contract 44902/3/4? These are 08 plate so could these have been modified to comply?
It's my understanding that the Wessex water enviros will be moved out of Bath, I don't yet know where. They are being replaced with two new buses. I know what these are, but not sure I'm allowed to reveal yet.

cnjb8

Established Member
It's my understanding that the Wessex water enviros will be moved out of Bath, I don't yet know where. They are being replaced with two new buses. I know what these are, but not sure I'm allowed to reveal yet.
I think new buses for Wessex Water was mentioned a good few months ago. It'll be interesting to see what they are, especially if they've decided to stick with Optare
With the Covid pandemic, you have to wonder whether it could have been easier and cheaper to upgrade the existing E200s to Euro6 spec.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I think new buses for Wessex Water was mentioned a good few months ago. It'll be interesting to see what they are, especially if they've decided to stick with Optare
With the Covid pandemic, you have to wonder whether it could have been easier and cheaper to upgrade the existing E200s to Euro6 spec.

Interesting in that those e200s, whilst 12 years old, are very low mileage and also that they are replacing 3 for 2; a reflection on a post Covid reduction in staff working in the Combe Down offices? They lasted longer on those duties than their predecessors though they too managed 19/20 years service with First.

Whiteway215

Established Member
I understood from a First official that the buses are owned by Wessex Water so if they are being transferred within the group as were their predecessors First will presumably have to purchase them.

cnjb8

Established Member
Interesting in that those e200s, whilst 12 years old, are very low mileage and also that they are replacing 3 for 2; a reflection on a post Covid reduction in staff working in the Combe Down offices? They lasted longer on those duties than their predecessors though they too managed 19/20 years service with First.

I understood from a First official that the buses are owned by Wessex Water so if they are being transferred within the group as were their predecessors First will presumably have to purchase them.
Yes that is interesting. Maybe the fact they are owned by Wessex Water suggests why they haven't had a Euro 6 upgrade yet

THarris123

Established Member
Yes that is interesting. Maybe the fact they are owned by Wessex Water suggests why they haven't had a Euro 6 upgrade yet
Correct. I think First just basically said pay for euro6 upgrade or pay for new buses. I can't remember exactly, but I think the new ones will have a slightly bigger capacity

matt_splat

Correct. I think First just basically said pay for euro6 upgrade or pay for new buses. I can't remember exactly, but I think the new ones will have a slightly bigger capacity
wasn't buying 2 new busses wessex waters plan for the contract over paying to upgrade the other 3 to Euro 6 with the bike racks on the inside i'd expect the capacity would be simular to the smaller ones?

Whiteway215

Established Member
35130 in Steel Link livery parked in Bath Weston Island depot this morning. 32543 there as well and 32545 is out on service. 32291 still there as well.

36231 and 44556 now repainted in Bath blue.

Last edited:

Mendip_Bus

A few photos from Yesterday (07/03/2021) in Bath.
DSC07260~2.jpg
BD12 TBZ 36231, in its new livery.
DSC07243.jpgDSC07287.jpg
Rail replacement buses, 69458 & 53857
DSC07278.jpg
Screenshot_20210308-101441_Gallery.jpg
Airport flyer, 67108, on Rail Replacement

Last edited by a moderator:

Callum15632

Latest news I've saw on Facebook that 37587 has been repainted into a blue colour for 75/76 and 37590 is at press getting repainted into the same blue for citylines 75/76

Whiteway215

Established Member
Latest news I've saw on Facebook that 37587 has been repainted into a blue colour for 75/76 and 37590 is at press getting repainted into the same blue for citylines 75/76
Also seen a report that 37633 ex Aberdeen is at Press

The Bath CAZ comes into effect on Monday 15th. However although most non compliant buses have been banished from Bath I was interested to see that 32543 and 32545 have been in daily use this week, often on the Oldfield School bus workings and also on 18.

Other non compliants 32291 32360 and 32544 may still be at Weston Island Bath depot.

Snow1964

Established Member
Also seen a report that 37633 ex Aberdeen is at Press

The Bath CAZ comes into effect on Monday 15th. However although most non compliant buses have been banished from Bath I was interested to see that 32543 and 32545 have been in daily use this week, often on the Oldfield School bus workings and also on 18.

Other non compliants 32291 32360 and 32544 may still be at Weston Island Bath depot.

Maybe these last 5 will be switched over the weekend, before Bath’s LEZ goes live on Monday

However Oldfield school is long way outside LEZ and routes 19, OS1-5 go nowhere near the LEZ, and Weston Island depot is also outside LEZ.

So more a risk that will someone accidentally use them on wrong route and enter the LEZ if the stay

Citistar

I may be wrong, but i think that the bus which operates OS3 and OS4 (same vehicle) is the only one which doesn't have a duty which also includes work within the CAZ. Service 19 at the Bath end is within the CAZ, as is anything terminating in the city centre. I'd be amazed if Bath keep anything which isn't compliant as the penalties for a cock-up rather outweigh the potential savings.

Last edited: