• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

carlberry

Established Member
44907 is out on the 76 - just passed me when it was heading south down Gloucester Rd...
I suspect a side effect from loaning 20+ deckers to Kernow for the G7. There was a Streetlite on the Y6 this morning which I haven't seen for a while (However might not be unusual).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
35113/14/15/39 do not appear to have returned to Bath after their Cornish holiday at the G7 conference. It's suggested they may have gone to Hengrove and they are not showing on the bus tracker at the moment.
Will they be replacing anything? ALXs perhaps? Although I believe HE only has 32292 but Lawrence Hill has three?

Citistar

35113/14/15/39 do not appear to have returned to Bath after their Cornish holiday at the G7 conference. It's suggested they may have gone to Hengrove and they are not showing on the bus tracker at the moment.
Will they be replacing anything? ALXs perhaps? Although I believe HE only has 32292 but Lawrence Hill has three?
Bath's vehicle requirement reduced significantly as a result of the changes introduced on 30th May, which may explain why fewer vehicles have returned. I think there will also be plenty of vehicle shuffling after this weekend's service changes in Bristol.

nw1

Established Member
More cuts coming down the line. Not surprising but I've definitely heard of a few people who won't get for instance the Bristol 4 because of the infrequent Sunday service

Was very familiar with the Bath network in the mid-1990s. Striking how the current network *appears* to be a shadow of its former self, there seem to be significantly less city routes and some out-of-town routes have gone altogether (where is the X37/337 to Keynsham? The 332 to Bristol via the north bank of the Avon? The 178 to Bristol via Radstock? The 231/2 to Chippenham? The 228 to Colerne? The 271/2 to Devizes?)

Aware from an earlier thread that the 184 to Frome went some time ago.

Citistar

Was very familiar with the Bath network in the mid-1990s. Striking how the current network *appears* to be a shadow of its former self, there seem to be significantly less city routes and some out-of-town routes have gone altogether (where is the X37/337 to Keynsham? The 332 to Bristol via the north bank of the Avon? The 178 to Bristol via Radstock? The 231/2 to Chippenham? The 228 to Colerne? The 271/2 to Devizes?)

Aware from an earlier thread that the 184 to Frome went some time ago.
It's all swings and roundabouts on the out-of-town journeys.

X37/337 have morphed in to the Bath - Keynsham stretch of the 18 and Bath Bus Company's A4 towards the Airport. Now three buses an hour rather than two.
332 has become 37 and now runs off peak only (although the West of England Combined Authority (WECA) are keen on it returning to more usable frequency). The Bath to Willsbridge section is also covered by service 19.
178 has been split. 171 and 172 now provide the service between Bath and Paulton, every half hour rather than the hourly of the 178. 178 runs hourly between Radstock and Bristol, although there is no evening or Sunday service on this stretch. The service between Bath and Midsomer Norton is now four buses an hour rather than the three when it was split between 173, 176, 178 and 184.
231/232 have passed to Faresaver as their X31, now every 20 minutes rather than the half hourly 231/232.
228 to Colerne has also passed to Faresaver on a similar timetable to how it was with First, perhaps missing a few journeys against peak flow.
271/2 to Devizes have passed to Faresaver too, now running half hourly to Melksham and hourly through to Devizes.

The only one of these services which have significantly been cut is the 332 (now 37), and that remains a political hot potato. The city stuff is a bit more polarised. Services to places such as Fairfield Park and Larkhall have suffered, being reduced from every 10 mins in the 90s to half hourly now, likewise the Kingsway route. Services to Bathampton and Haycombe are now reliant on a big old chunk of subsidy to run hourly where they were previously commercial every 15 to 30 minutes. But routes to Weston, Batheaston, Twerton, Whiteway and Southdown remain at a comparable frequency.

freetoview33

Established Member
Is this everywhere across the whole network or are there specific examples?
1,2 & 4 leave Cribbs Causeway within a minute of each other (Okay this does provide a equal service down Whiteladies!) It does mean you have a convoy coming down towards Henbury then a nice gap!
2 & 76 between Henbury and Southmead all but leave at the same times.
Just a few examples and annoying when technically the area is well served, but all the buses between the same places all turn up at once!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
1,2 & 4 leave Cribbs Causeway within a minute of each other, (Okay this does provide a equal service down Whiteladies!) Does mean you have a convoy coming down towards Henbury then a nice gap!
2 & 76 between Henbury and Southmead all but leave at the same times.
Just a few examples, just annoying when yes technically the area is well served but all the buses between the same places all turn up at once!
There's not an easy solution and as you've intimated, there's the disconnect in having a nice even headway between Cribbs and Henbury if they are then bunching all the way through Clifton and Whiteladies Road which is arguably where more of the passengers are.

carlberry

Established Member
Something weird was going on with the service 1 in Weston yesterday. The timetable suggests it should operate every half hour (and the tracker suggests that's what is happening today) however it appeared to be operating hourly with a closed top vehicle, but with an open topper parked on the sea front most of the day!

freetoview33

Established Member
I was on the 3 today and it is on diversion around Avonmouth, so it is now serving temporary stops outside the Coop distribution centre and a few people got on and off in both directions there, although I'm not sure a permanent 1.3 mile diversion would be the best idea ever.

Citistar

I was on the 3 today and it is on diversion around Avonmouth, so it is now serving temporary stops outside the Coop distribution centre and a few people got on and off in both directions there, although I'm not sure a permanent 1.3 mile diversion would be the best idea ever.
I think in the longer term, it would make sense for the 3 to serve more of the Avonmouth industrial area. There are a lot of very poorly paid jobs along the banks of the Severn which are inaccessible because of poor transport links. Of course, this has resulted in quite the explosion in closed door services in the area, but these don't provide anything beneficial to the rest of the travelling public.

freetoview33

Established Member
I think in the longer term, it would make sense for the 3 to serve more of the Avonmouth industrial area. There are a lot of very poorly paid jobs along the banks of the Severn which are inaccessible because of poor transport links. Of course, this has resulted in quite the explosion in closed door services in the area, but these don't provide anything beneficial to the rest of the travelling public.
Yeah it is just the 3 is a very long route, it is a hard mix, but there must be a better way to serve the area.

Yeah it is just the 3 is a very long route, it is a hard mix, but there must be a better way to serve the area.
It’s a long time ago now, but I have got vague memories of Henbury having a limited stop service (X66?) that operated from Crow Lane, along Long Cross, through Shire, then following the route of the old 57 onto the Portway, then via Hotwells into the city centre. Might have been a peak hours only service, originally using some of the City Clipper liveried Roe Olympians.

More info/corrections welcome.

DaveHarries

Established Member
TBH I would never use the 40s (now the 3 & 4) from my part of BS9: the 528 & 530 were my preference and I would rather see them back. May not be much point in that come December if the improvements on the Severn Beach line come into being as has been suggested though.

Dave

freetoview33

Established Member
TBH I would never use the 40s (now the 3 & 4) from my part of BS9: the 528 & 530 were my preference and I would rather see them back. May not be much point in that come December if the improvements on the Severn Beach line come into being as has been suggested though.

Dave
What are the improvements are planned? I've been a bit of a hermit on rail recently.

I definitely feel like the current situation isn't the best but not sure what is!

Tommy Walters

Interestingly former WoE 32329/30/43 have all received familiar new numberplates down in Weymouth.

32329 - 620 HOD (former 32001)
32330 - KFX 791 (former 32006)
32343 - TPR 354 (former 32007)

With WYY 752 & RKZ 4760 having been previously mentioned as already in use by two open tops down there, this only leaves PSU 630 & NTL 655 for use. Might be a long shot but perhaps we might see these two plates put onto the two remaining coasters at Weston?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Interestingly former WoE 32329/30/43 have all received familiar new numberplates down in Weymouth.

32329 - 620 HOD (former 32001)
32330 - KFX 791 (former 32006)
32343 - TPR 354 (former 32007)

With WYY 752 & RKZ 4760 having been previously mentioned as already in use by two open tops down there, this only leaves PSU 630 & NTL 655 for use. Might be a long shot but perhaps we might see these two plates put onto the two remaining coasters at Weston?
The odd thing is that they could have kept 32001/2 and simply sent 32011-3 to Wales if that were the case?

Arguably, the plates are now returning home (to part of what was Southern National), having all been worn by vehicles
that were part of Comfy-Lux (Pearce, Darch and Wilcox) that was purchased by Southern National. They were worn by Tigers before being put on former Badgerline PS down in Yeovil for the first two and so ending up with FWoE.

HOD was originally on a Bedford SB delivered to a firm in Devon; don't know where the others originated but they weren't on buses and are from Bournemouth area.

aquae39

I can confirm that 37 can use one more type of vehicles from yesterday, which are 8 Bath Unibus E400MMCs, not only two Scanias 36822 and 36824. Probably they can also handle the low railway bridge in Bitton, this also includes school routes OS1 and OS2.

sk688

Surely something needs to be done in the next set of timetable changes about the scheduling of buses down Upper Bristol Road ?

Often i've seen instances where an X39, 18/19 , 4 , 21 , A4 all pass through as a convoy , and then quite a gap until the next service.

Surely it would be more convenient for residents along Upper Bristol Road ,as well as in Newbridge and Lower Weston to rejig the timetables a bit to get rid of this bunching ? Appreciate it might not be as simple as that tbh

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Surely something needs to be done in the next set of timetable changes about the scheduling of buses down Upper Bristol Road ?

Often i've seen instances where an X39, 18/19 , 4 , 21 , A4 all pass through as a convoy , and then quite a gap until the next service.

Surely it would be more convenient for residents along Upper Bristol Road ,as well as in Newbridge and Lower Weston to rejig the timetables a bit to get rid of this bunching ? Appreciate it might not be as simple as that tbh
They are scheduled

X39 xx.05
4 xx.09
4a xx.19
X39 xx.20
4 xx.29
19 xx.30
X39 xx.35
4a xx.39
18 xx.45
4 xx.49
X39 xx.50
4a xx.59

You are always going to have issues when you have a major service 4/4a every 10 mins, and the X39 every 15 mins, and when you have traffic conditions as in Bath.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Just heard on Radio Bristol that Bristol City Council have postponed the introduction of the Clean Air Zone until ‘Summer 2022’. Originally it had stated October this year would be the time of its introduction.

So First West of England can keep their oldies going in Bristol for a bit longer!

Nailseabus

An unusual working on the 5 this afternoon as excel liveried 47553 SN14 FGE performed some duties (image below).

SN14 FGE.JPG

TheLastMinute

Attachments

• E5ssb3PWYA0xSOL.jpg
    E5ssb3PWYA0xSOL.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 72
  • E5ssbJnX0AgEMpm.jpg
    E5ssbJnX0AgEMpm.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 72
  • E5ssaYVXMAoNOJM.jpg
    E5ssaYVXMAoNOJM.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

aquae39

Is the Wessex Water staff bus now available for public use? The new E200MMC has a ticket machine and the route timetable is now on the First Bus app and Google Maps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citistar

Is the Wessex Water staff bus now available for public use? The new E200MMC has a ticket machine and the route timetable is now on the First Bus app and Google Maps.
Interesting. I wonder if this is something which has been added to the National Public Transport Information (NPTI) database deliberately or accidentally? The timetable on BusTimes also shows two vehicle workings, so are both of the new E200MMCs out now, or just the one?