• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

cnjb8

Established Member
Does it matter if they are Barbie however because they seem to be the youngest Tridents in the fleet whereas the branded ones seem to be the oldest?

This does beg the question though, when will we perhaps see the 21/22/36/37/38 branded ones withdrawn, even the 02/52 reg B7TLs? It will be interesting to see if 33120 gets withdrawn whenever the electric stock enter Glasgow.
Yes it does, it’s silly of First to be repainting buses of this age out of Barbie, they should be disposing of them. By bringing in the Geminis you improve age and in Great Yarmouth and Lowestofts case, you standardise the fleet.
The reason why Norwich has been repainting Tridents is to give them a last push before replacement, they have also been given a mechanical overhaul.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vla50

Yes it does, it’s silly of First to be repainting buses of this age out of Barbie, they should be disposing of them. By bringing in the Geminis you improve age and in Great Yarmouth and Lowestofts case, you standardise the fleet.
The reason why Norwich has been repainting Tridents is to give them a last push before replacement, they have also been given a mechanical overhaul.
RE the Norwich Tridents (again sorry for going a tad bit off topic!) is there any approximate date as to when they will be replaced?

I don't know if it's silly for them to dispose of the Tridents just yet especially as they seem to be popular with commuters and though life expired seem to be in good nick.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
RE the Norwich Tridents (again sorry for going a tad bit off topic!) is there any approximate date as to when they will be replaced?

I don't know if it's silly for them to dispose of the Tridents just yet especially as they seem to be popular with commuters and though life expired seem to be in good nick.
You’d think the best ones are getting the expenditure and will carry on for a while whilst the untreated ones will go.

Depending on new vehicle intakes (time and number), that will dictate when cascades can take place.

D2007wsm

Established Member
It would be interesting to see if some of the Enviro 400s move to Somerset to perhaps replace the ALX400s.
I think it would make more sense for Weston to replace the Badgerline B7TLs with displaced E400s, at least once the CEZ is introduced in Bristol they can still be sent up to cover whatever goes onto Excel work. Apart from the Coasters, this would then erradicate B7TLs from the WoE fleet.

I’m sure there would be enough of the 335** E400s to cover the 7 and 20 with spares. The newer E400s could then remain on Excel work to cover boards not covered by the new buses.

If they are short and the only spare deckers are B7TLs, the service will have to be replaced by a Streetlite and trust me they are not popular when they turn up on a busy X1.

With the B7TLs down in Bridgwater and Taunton, that problem won’t exist.

volvob12

Doesn’t look like the B7s have got long left in Weston either. 37324 seemingly in a new-life, de branded, on the X1 this morning.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
You’d think the best ones are getting the expenditure and will carry on for a while whilst the untreated ones will go.

Depending on new vehicle intakes (time and number), that will dictate when cascades can take place.

The branded/repainted Presidents in Norwich were brought up to Euro6 standard a couple of years ago, and will be the last ones to be withdrawn. When that will be though, is totally up for question! I would assume their fate lies with the bid for electric buses in Norwich.

The ones still in Barbie/Olympia are on borrowed time, but will probably see 2022.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The branded/repainted Presidents in Norwich were brought up to Euro6 standard a couple of years ago, and will be the last ones to be withdrawn. When that will be though, is totally up for question! I would assume their fate lies with the bid for electric buses in Norwich.

The ones still in Barbie/Olympia are on borrowed time, but will probably see 2022.
Appreciate that information and so they will be around for a while longer. I would guess that as well as electric buses bid, there is a commitment with the DfT money already secured that there will be new and refurbished vehicles in any case. Certainly, I'm not expecting any B7TLs from FWoE to head in that direction.

Doesn’t look like the B7s have got long left in Weston either. 37324 seemingly in a new-life, de branded, on the X1 this morning.
Or at least, the urban B7TLs in the short term but let's face it, we're talking about 18 year old vehicles. They should be on their way.

D2007wsm

Established Member
37324 isn’t a B7, it’s a B9. It may have been one of the Marlborough Street boards.

I did see one of Weston’s B7TLs at lunch time on an X1 too. I think Weston are short of deckers atm.

volvob12

37324 isn’t a B7, it’s a B9. It may have been one of the Marlborough Street boards.

I did see one of Weston’s B7TLs at lunch time on an X1 too. I think Weston are short of deckers atm.
Yes, I’m well aware of that, hence the post. It’s lost it’s ‘2’ branding and believe it’s one of a number being transferred to WsM as B7 replacements.

carlberry

Established Member
I think it misses Whiteladies Road. It was sat at the end of the Long Ashton bypass with it's hazards on this evening!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think it misses Whiteladies Road. It was sat at the end of the Long Ashton bypass with it's hazards on this evening!
I saw it there as well (from a passing X1)

I had plans set up for yesterday but an unfortunate turn of events suddenly meant I had a clear day. Rather than cancel my days holiday, I decided to enjoy the good weather and have a trip out around Somerset using the two First firms. Here's the travelogue - hope it's of interest.

The day began in Midsomer Norton but a combo of my getting up late and some traffic delayed me by a crucial minute. Hence, I missed my early 173, seeing it disappear and so denying me the delight of travelling across the Mendips and the view across from the Horringtons across to Glastonbury. Instead, I waited for the 174, tracking its progress as it leisurely arrived 5 mins late; one thing I noticed is that Bath and NE Somerset council have the times at stops for the indies but not for First where a QR code is provided. On arrival, the driver then revealed that the Volvo was indeed a bit sickly and the temp gauge was a bit high. After a quick call to the depot, it was agreed that he'd nurse the vehicle back to Wells. The B9 was one of those refurbished for Mendip Explorer routes, gaining new moquette and USBs which seems like a long time ago yet it was only 3 years ago. Certainly, our driver was very careful to stop frequently and let the vehicle rest. Now, I am somewhat dismayed by Mendip Explorer and this typified the issue. It was launched with a revised network and new Streetdecks/refurbished B7 Eclipses a few years ago. At that time, the vehicles had excellent interior promotion. Whilst there were banners at Wells bus station and other promo stuff in Bristol and Bath, the bus stop flags were never updated, even in new sections of route such as Chilcompton to Shepton. I was sat on a bus and it was slightly depressing - a major route that once had regular new vehicle intakes now surviving with 13 year old B9s and a mix of 7 and 9 year old e400s with none of the internal promotion. Moreover, roadside publicity is now absent (covered over) and at Shepton, the bus flag still proclaims the 161/2 (withdrawn 2015?) and the 901 (withdrawn 2011). It really feels that the ME scheme's mojo has gone and it's now just "some livery". Still, the scenery was still nice as we passed the rushing torrent of overnight rains near Croscombe and then a very laborious climb as our driver got the Volvo over the hill from Dulcote. Time for a coffee in Wells, and then ready for some BoS action.

I went for the 75 and instead of the usual e200, one of the ex Cornish, now 21 liveried Solars appeared. The vehicle looked smart though I still can't get on board with the red and dark blue interior on these machines. I KNOW it's just my subjective view but I find it a bit discordant. Again, the provision of times is now really poor in Wells where it used to be excellent. BoS actually do a good professional job - it's FWoE that is quite bad though someone did stick on some sheets of A4 with the 126 and 376 times on the bus shelter (and again, the stand markers again reference services that no longer exist). Note, there can be some allowance for Covid in these respects but if BoS can get stuff sorted, so should FWoE. The bus was a rattly affair as we headed across the slightly sodden route to Glastonbury and then into Street despite some terrible drivers and parking; driving standards in that area are noticeably poor for some reason! I got off in Street and had a quick nip to a particular target shop and then back for the 77. This was another elderly machine being one of the ex Bristol/Southampton Darts, and it was actually a really good machine. Very clean and having had a repaint, it looks smart. The eLeather inside is also wearing very well and it belied its 15 years as it had barely a squeak as we headed across to Somerton. Again though, and this is a common criticism (that I hope is constructive) is that there is so little publicity on BoS vehicles on any route. Instead, I had four NHS ads regarding Hep C but one knocked up A4 poster on Axminster market. Surely there must be something to shout about with BoS - day tickets, Yeovil Zone, Exmoor Coaster?

I got off at Somerton and had a cup of tea, whilst awaiting my 54. It duly arrived and it was surprisingly, one of the ex Hampshire Omnicities that are on loan. It's a smart vehicle and nicely presented despite it being in Urban. Again, a noticeable lack of rattles and squeaks despite its age (and experience of similar ones not being so good) as we made our way towards Langport. The evidence of the overnight deluge being evident by the large tracts of flooded land in the area, it's a superb ride across the levels. Now, this is an observation and not a criticism of BoS; I really hope that the BSIP for Somerset can ensure some money and improvements for the county's bus services. The 54 runs every 90 mins, combining with the 77 between Yeovil and Somerton and from Henlade to Taunton with the 30 to be every 45 mins. It would be good if some core routes could be uplifted as well as gaining evening services. Also, and I appreciate the economics of bus operation and that Somerset has always been thin territory, but the BoS fleet is really quite mature now as are the cascades now due. Now a 15 year old Gemini is much better than a 15 year old VR of old and I'm sure that BoS will spend some time and money on making them better; however, it's quite an old fleet. Perhaps, with new vehicles for the Taunton P&R allowing Streetlites to be cascaded and a number of other cascades in future, this statement will age badly in a couple of years time; I hope so. We got into Taunton, passing the depot with a sorry looking Trident (33177?) in the yard and into the town centre. This is where I get frustrated again but again, not with BoS. Taunton is a town where no small amount of money has been spent on new road links in recent years. Yet, the routes into town like East Reach have no bus lane or priority. Instead, it's perfectly fine to have cars parked, for free, using up the road space. Despite all the new roads, there is still a constant flood of cars through the very centre of the town; it is crazy and I feel for BoS. It's not so bad on a quietish Thursday but I've seen it so much worse and it makes any semblance of service reliability difficult to achieve. Now, a confession.... I have mentioned the age of the BoS fleet and also, I very seldom travel on a bus just to travel on a bus but instead for the scenery or to get from a to b. However, I did have a very quick trip on the 22 towards Wellington and back, just to have a last trip on some of the older Tridents. Pleasantly, it was on one of the ALXs (which have been good servants) and then back on a President. The latter reminded me that we have nearly reached the end of an era in a positive sense - the awful First Bus seats that afflicted 1998-2002 are nearly consigned to history! That said, they were very decent vehicles to travel on (apart from the President's bum numbing seats) but at 18/19 years of age, it's time for them to be replaced even if their replacements are perhaps not that much newer.

Back into Taunton and a hope that a) it might be a decker and b) wouldn't be a Solar. Well, half there as it was one of the pair of refurb e300s that went to the 21 rather than the 28. I've mentioned it before but I really like the job that's been done on these in terms of the new seat cushions. They look great when you walk on board; my gripe is that there was some vinyl attached to the seat backs (in Glasgow) so the rear of the seats looks grubby. A bit of solvent would bring them up, I suspect. That minor whinge aside, it was a very pleasant place to be for the next 1h20 as we headed to Burnham. The light traffic was evident by the constant stopping to wait time. Passing through Bridgwater, it was interesting to see lots of all white Streetdecks on Hinckley work before we headed back out to Burnham. Despite this, we were somehow late arriving but my connecting Badgerline vehicle was there as I left the relative modernity of the e300 for a former London B7TL. These machines are also supposedly in their final days but the livery has taken years off them but they are a little tired internally. It was a healthy load as we left Burnham with many heading for the now out of season caravan and holiday parks around Brean. There was the odd low branch that I assume saw off the open top operations. All the bus stop flags had been changed to Badgerline as had the timetables but sadly, these were showing the half hourly summer times erroneously. The sun was shining and the route had fantastic views of the Bristol Channel - it was absolutely glorious with views over to Cardiff and the Glamorgan coast.

However, it was clear when we crossed the county boundary into North Somerset as the smart Badgerline flags gave way to faded First and the defunct Crosville. In fact, how poor are North Somerset Council (cue @Citistar ). They sum up the most inept public transport bodies. They've had great schemes with central funding and attendant photo ops that dwindle to nothing. Meanwhile, they have a singularly weak approach on even the most basic stuff like tidy bus stop flags though I assume they have insisted that no one else can touch them, with defunct firms and route numbers now joined by timetable displays that have a blank Covid poster and that times cannot be displayed as emergency timetables may exist - true in 2020, but not true now. Then you have the scheme to redevelop Regent Street in Weston so buses are dispersed across a range of stops. The 20 now terminates at the WSM rail station and goes nowhere near the town centre being a half mile walk; if that's the best resolution they could come up whilst the works are on, lord knows what they dismissed! Annoyed and hungry, I grabbed a bite to eat and then wandered to the sea front where all the local routes now depart from. I decided to have a leisurely trip to Worle and was pleasantly surprised to see that my service 5 was operated by a former Bath Dart, one of a handful that still survive. I travelled on these so often on often quite demanding routes and they have been great servants so it was nice to have one last trip (as I suspect they won't last much longer) and again, it was a very decent trip on a well presented if elderly vehicle. Moreover, it was a fascinating trip as we headed up the hill and I had a view of Weston that I've never seen before. It was an absolute if unexpected joy. I got off at Worle and the mini interchange there expecting an excel e400 but instead, it was a B9 heading back to its home depot of Bristol. I mentioned the Excel network a few weeks ago and the points are similar to Mendip Explorer in many ways with a set of services that really do need a reboot, some attention and some investment. The B9 was probably an improvement on the e400s on there but still....

After seeing the stricken 37324 on the Long Ashton bypass, with the service 2 vinyls removed and yet retaining Bristol fleetnames, we passed the end of the new south Bristol link road, traffic tailing back. When will planners realise that building more roads is not the solution? Our X1 entered the city and yet again, another of my pet peeves with the outbound bus lane in Hotwells yet not an inbound one despite their being the room. Can't do too much to upset the motorist, I guess? The B9 deposited me in Bristol bus station and I had chance to pop and get a few bits of necessary retail therapy. That meant forgoing the usually lovely 178 and instead, I took the X39 to Bath. It was one of the usual dual door Scania e400s and finally, a bit of modern kit. And it had USBs, and internal promotion - just what a service really should have. We made steady progress out through the rush hour traffic and fairly bounded along the A4 before we trudged through Bath (another place crying out for bus priority but instead has penalised commercial vehicles but private cars are not covered by the CAZ) and into the bus station. Onto my final bus of the day and eventually, an e400 got me with one of the 2014 ex Bolton machines. Ok, it may not have had the stuff like USBs and the like but it was stunningly clean inside and it made short work of the hills such as Dunkerton as it returned me back to Norton Radstock.

In summary, I can make some criticisms of BoS but really, they are operating in very thin territory and their hands are tied somewhat by the harsh economics of the area. It would be good if the age profile can be improved further than getting 16/17 year old cascades but I have a lot of sympathy for them. First West of England perhaps less so - it feels like they have dropped the ball a bit from just a few years ago and in much better bus territory, and that's even allowing for Covid. Not replacing erroneous bus times on the 20 is something that never used to happen, and the decline in standards in all aspects of the ME and Excel routes is really apparent. Somerset CC have traditionally been tepid in supporting buses and have chopped so much from their budget (though I have sympathy for many LAs who had to swallow that) and hope that BSIPs will see some funding to allow developments in areas such as restoring hourly headways to the 30, 54 and 77 and having a better service on the 25, and perhaps even some late evening services on stuff like the 21, 22 and 28. However, it was BaNES and especially North Somerset that really got me. The BaNES approach to roadside publicity is fairly poor, NSCs is downright appalling. It really should be better.

Anyhow, I've talked too much - I hope you enjoyed this wittertainment and thanks to First for a very nice trip out - every bus did turn up and in these challenging days, they should be applauded for that!

Attachments

• DC418259-B925-4D78-A299-BECB7C6DADBE.jpeg
    DC418259-B925-4D78-A299-BECB7C6DADBE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 33
  • 43D1E236-A3EC-458C-940E-FEAFE2EC6BE4.jpeg
    43D1E236-A3EC-458C-940E-FEAFE2EC6BE4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • 246FA783-155E-478F-B573-AFF2A2439FFA.jpeg
    246FA783-155E-478F-B573-AFF2A2439FFA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 1150D8E7-E37C-408B-AA64-925664544908.jpeg
    1150D8E7-E37C-408B-AA64-925664544908.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 23
  • 0D3AE35D-8DA2-482F-A7A3-D5D4FC1251EE.jpeg
    0D3AE35D-8DA2-482F-A7A3-D5D4FC1251EE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 2971C270-0971-4904-AA4F-C53535958294.jpeg
    2971C270-0971-4904-AA4F-C53535958294.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

On the Buses

All fair comment for BoS, but as you note, the viability in rural Somerset does determine the fleet. That said the raft of E200s and Streetlites are a mile away from the collection of tat that was inherited when BoS was created. The deckers joining will have to work their way through paint and trim. Some are 07 reg and the 3 08 E400s are joining too. Ultimately having fully depreciated Geminis on college and school work in particularly isn’t a bad place to be. Interior vinyls yes, but to be frank, other routes across the SW are a greater opportunity and therefore priority but we will get there.
Somerset CC’s BSIP is encouragingly ambitious so let’s hope it finds favour with the DfT !

vla50

I had plans set up for yesterday but an unfortunate turn of events suddenly meant I had a clear day. Rather than cancel my days holiday, I decided to enjoy the good weather and have a trip out around Somerset using the two First firms. Here's the travelogue - hope it's of interest.

The day began in Midsomer Norton but a combo of my getting up late and some traffic delayed me by a crucial minute. Hence, I missed my early 173, seeing it disappear and so denying me the delight of travelling across the Mendips and the view across from the Horringtons across to Glastonbury. Instead, I waited for the 174, tracking its progress as it leisurely arrived 5 mins late; one thing I noticed is that Bath and NE Somerset council have the times at stops for the indies but not for First where a QR code is provided. On arrival, the driver then revealed that the Volvo was indeed a bit sickly and the temp gauge was a bit high. After a quick call to the depot, it was agreed that he'd nurse the vehicle back to Wells. The B9 was one of those refurbished for Mendip Explorer routes, gaining new moquette and USBs which seems like a long time ago yet it was only 3 years ago. Certainly, our driver was very careful to stop frequently and let the vehicle rest. Now, I am somewhat dismayed by Mendip Explorer and this typified the issue. It was launched with a revised network and new Streetdecks/refurbished B7 Eclipses a few years ago. At that time, the vehicles had excellent interior promotion. Whilst there were banners at Wells bus station and other promo stuff in Bristol and Bath, the bus stop flags were never updated, even in new sections of route such as Chilcompton to Shepton. I was sat on a bus and it was slightly depressing - a major route that once had regular new vehicle intakes now surviving with 13 year old B9s and a mix of 7 and 9 year old e400s with none of the internal promotion. Moreover, roadside publicity is now absent (covered over) and at Shepton, the bus flag still proclaims the 161/2 (withdrawn 2015?) and the 901 (withdrawn 2011). It really feels that the ME scheme's mojo has gone and it's now just "some livery". Still, the scenery was still nice as we passed the rushing torrent of overnight rains near Croscombe and then a very laborious climb as our driver got the Volvo over the hill from Dulcote. Time for a coffee in Wells, and then ready for some BoS action.

I went for the 75 and instead of the usual e200, one of the ex Cornish, now 21 liveried Solars appeared. The vehicle looked smart though I still can't get on board with the red and dark blue interior on these machines. I KNOW it's just my subjective view but I find it a bit discordant. Again, the provision of times is now really poor in Wells where it used to be excellent. BoS actually do a good professional job - it's FWoE that is quite bad though someone did stick on some sheets of A4 with the 126 and 376 times on the bus shelter (and again, the stand markers again reference services that no longer exist). Note, there can be some allowance for Covid in these respects but if BoS can get stuff sorted, so should FWoE. The bus was a rattly affair as we headed across the slightly sodden route to Glastonbury and then into Street despite some terrible drivers and parking; driving standards in that area are noticeably poor for some reason! I got off in Street and had a quick nip to a particular target shop and then back for the 77. This was another elderly machine being one of the ex Bristol/Southampton Darts, and it was actually a really good machine. Very clean and having had a repaint, it looks smart. The eLeather inside is also wearing very well and it belied its 15 years as it had barely a squeak as we headed across to Somerton. Again though, and this is a common criticism (that I hope is constructive) is that there is so little publicity on BoS vehicles on any route. Instead, I had four NHS ads regarding Hep C but one knocked up A4 poster on Axminster market. Surely there must be something to shout about with BoS - day tickets, Yeovil Zone, Exmoor Coaster?

I got off at Somerton and had a cup of tea, whilst awaiting my 54. It duly arrived and it was surprisingly, one of the ex Hampshire Omnicities that are on loan. It's a smart vehicle and nicely presented despite it being in Urban. Again, a noticeable lack of rattles and squeaks despite its age (and experience of similar ones not being so good) as we made our way towards Langport. The evidence of the overnight deluge being evident by the large tracts of flooded land in the area, it's a superb ride across the levels. Now, this is an observation and not a criticism of BoS; I really hope that the BSIP for Somerset can ensure some money and improvements for the county's bus services. The 54 runs every 90 mins, combining with the 77 between Yeovil and Somerton and from Henlade to Taunton with the 30 to be every 45 mins. It would be good if some core routes could be uplifted as well as gaining evening services. Also, and I appreciate the economics of bus operation and that Somerset has always been thin territory, but the BoS fleet is really quite mature now as are the cascades now due. Now a 15 year old Gemini is much better than a 15 year old VR of old and I'm sure that BoS will spend some time and money on making them better; however, it's quite an old fleet. Perhaps, with new vehicles for the Taunton P&R allowing Streetlites to be cascaded and a number of other cascades in future, this statement will age badly in a couple of years time; I hope so. We got into Taunton, passing the depot with a sorry looking Trident (33177?) in the yard and into the town centre. This is where I get frustrated again but again, not with BoS. Taunton is a town where no small amount of money has been spent on new road links in recent years. Yet, the routes into town like East Reach have no bus lane or priority. Instead, it's perfectly fine to have cars parked, for free, using up the road space. Despite all the new roads, there is still a constant flood of cars through the very centre of the town; it is crazy and I feel for BoS. It's not so bad on a quietish Thursday but I've seen it so much worse and it makes any semblance of service reliability difficult to achieve. Now, a confession.... I have mentioned the age of the BoS fleet and also, I very seldom travel on a bus just to travel on a bus but instead for the scenery or to get from a to b. However, I did have a very quick trip on the 22 towards Wellington and back, just to have a last trip on some of the older Tridents. Pleasantly, it was on one of the ALXs (which have been good servants) and then back on a President. The latter reminded me that we have nearly reached the end of an era in a positive sense - the awful First Bus seats that afflicted 1998-2002 are nearly consigned to history! That said, they were very decent vehicles to travel on (apart from the President's bum numbing seats) but at 18/19 years of age, it's time for them to be replaced even if their replacements are perhaps not that much newer.

Back into Taunton and a hope that a) it might be a decker and b) wouldn't be a Solar. Well, half there as it was one of the pair of refurb e300s that went to the 21 rather than the 28. I've mentioned it before but I really like the job that's been done on these in terms of the new seat cushions. They look great when you walk on board; my gripe is that there was some vinyl attached to the seat backs (in Glasgow) so the rear of the seats looks grubby. A bit of solvent would bring them up, I suspect. That minor whinge aside, it was a very pleasant place to be for the next 1h20 as we headed to Burnham. The light traffic was evident by the constant stopping to wait time. Passing through Bridgwater, it was interesting to see lots of all white Streetdecks on Hinckley work before we headed back out to Burnham. Despite this, we were somehow late arriving but my connecting Badgerline vehicle was there as I left the relative modernity of the e300 for a former London B7TL. These machines are also supposedly in their final days but the livery has taken years off them but they are a little tired internally. It was a healthy load as we left Burnham with many heading for the now out of season caravan and holiday parks around Brean. There was the odd low branch that I assume saw off the open top operations. All the bus stop flags had been changed to Badgerline as had the timetables but sadly, these were showing the half hourly summer times erroneously. The sun was shining and the route had fantastic views of the Bristol Channel - it was absolutely glorious with views over to Cardiff and the Glamorgan coast.

However, it was clear when we crossed the county boundary into North Somerset as the smart Badgerline flags gave way to faded First and the defunct Crosville. In fact, how poor are North Somerset Council (cue @Citistar ). They sum up the most inept public transport bodies. They've had great schemes with central funding and attendant photo ops that dwindle to nothing. Meanwhile, they have a singularly weak approach on even the most basic stuff like tidy bus stop flags though I assume they have insisted that no one else can touch them, with defunct firms and route numbers now joined by timetable displays that have a blank Covid poster and that times cannot be displayed as emergency timetables may exist - true in 2020, but not true now. Then you have the scheme to redevelop Regent Street in Weston so buses are dispersed across a range of stops. The 20 now terminates at the WSM rail station and goes nowhere near the town centre being a half mile walk; if that's the best resolution they could come up whilst the works are on, lord knows what they dismissed! Annoyed and hungry, I grabbed a bite to eat and then wandered to the sea front where all the local routes now depart from. I decided to have a leisurely trip to Worle and was pleasantly surprised to see that my service 5 was operated by a former Bath Dart, one of a handful that still survive. I travelled on these so often on often quite demanding routes and they have been great servants so it was nice to have one last trip (as I suspect they won't last much longer) and again, it was a very decent trip on a well presented if elderly vehicle. Moreover, it was a fascinating trip as we headed up the hill and I had a view of Weston that I've never seen before. It was an absolute if unexpected joy. I got off at Worle and the mini interchange there expecting an excel e400 but instead, it was a B9 heading back to its home depot of Bristol. I mentioned the Excel network a few weeks ago and the points are similar to Mendip Explorer in many ways with a set of services that really do need a reboot, some attention and some investment. The B9 was probably an improvement on the e400s on there but still....

After seeing the stricken 37324 on the Long Ashton bypass, with the service 2 vinyls removed and yet retaining Bristol fleetnames, we passed the end of the new south Bristol link road, traffic tailing back. When will planners realise that building more roads is not the solution? Our X1 entered the city and yet again, another of my pet peeves with the outbound bus lane in Hotwells yet not an inbound one despite their being the room. Can't do too much to upset the motorist, I guess? The B9 deposited me in Bristol bus station and I had chance to pop and get a few bits of necessary retail therapy. That meant forgoing the usually lovely 178 and instead, I took the X39 to Bath. It was one of the usual dual door Scania e400s and finally, a bit of modern kit. And it had USBs, and internal promotion - just what a service really should have. We made steady progress out through the rush hour traffic and fairly bounded along the A4 before we trudged through Bath (another place crying out for bus priority but instead has penalised commercial vehicles but private cars are not covered by the CAZ) and into the bus station. Onto my final bus of the day and eventually, an e400 got me with one of the 2014 ex Bolton machines. Ok, it may not have had the stuff like USBs and the like but it was stunningly clean inside and it made short work of the hills such as Dunkerton as it returned me back to Norton Radstock.

In summary, I can make some criticisms of BoS but really, they are operating in very thin territory and their hands are tied somewhat by the harsh economics of the area. It would be good if the age profile can be improved further than getting 16/17 year old cascades but I have a lot of sympathy for them. First West of England perhaps less so - it feels like they have dropped the ball a bit from just a few years ago and in much better bus territory, and that's even allowing for Covid. Not replacing erroneous bus times on the 20 is something that never used to happen, and the decline in standards in all aspects of the ME and Excel routes is really apparent. Somerset CC have traditionally been tepid in supporting buses and have chopped so much from their budget (though I have sympathy for many LAs who had to swallow that) and hope that BSIPs will see some funding to allow developments in areas such as restoring hourly headways to the 30, 54 and 77 and having a better service on the 25, and perhaps even some late evening services on stuff like the 21, 22 and 28. However, it was BaNES and especially North Somerset that really got me. The BaNES approach to roadside publicity is fairly poor, NSCs is downright appalling. It really should be better.

Anyhow, I've talked too much - I hope you enjoyed this wittertainment and thanks to First for a very nice trip out - every bus did turn up and in these challenging days, they should be applauded for that!
This certainly made an interesting read

Citistar

However, it was clear when we crossed the county boundary into North Somerset as the smart Badgerline flags gave way to faded First and the defunct Crosville. In fact, how poor are North Somerset Council (cue @Citistar ). They sum up the most inept public transport bodies. They've had great schemes with central funding and attendant photo ops that dwindle to nothing. Meanwhile, they have a singularly weak approach on even the most basic stuff like tidy bus stop flags though I assume they have insisted that no one else can touch them, with defunct firms and route numbers now joined by timetable displays that have a blank Covid poster and that times cannot be displayed as emergency timetables may exist - true in 2020, but not true now. Then you have the scheme to redevelop Regent Street in Weston so buses are dispersed across a range of stops. The 20 now terminates at the WSM rail station and goes nowhere near the town centre being a half mile walk; if that's the best resolution they could come up whilst the works are on, lord knows what they dismissed!

The town centre redevelopment has probably been slightly beneficial to us. Because First and Stagecoach are terminating at the station, we're doing tremendous business out of Banwell because i've been making the effort to stop somewhere closer to the town centre (current the Town Hall stop). This has occasionally raised the ire of the workers on the project who went through a phase of coning things off without warning, but given that there has been absolutely zero effort from Clevedon to establish revised stopping places with us, i make no apologies.

Roadside publicity seems to have been forgotten pretty much everywhere now. We have bus stops throughout the Bath & NE Somerset part of the Chew Valley which still promise that Hackney CT will be running the 672 five times a day, rather than the current schedule of Eurotaxis running twice a day. I've offered to assist with updating these things several times in the past, but nobody is interested and just suspicious. Ceding control of anything is viewed as an admission of weakness by our beloved local councils.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
All fair comment for BoS, but as you note, the viability in rural Somerset does determine the fleet. That said the raft of E200s and Streetlites are a mile away from the collection of tat that was inherited when BoS was created. The deckers joining will have to work their way through paint and trim. Some are 07 reg and the 3 08 E400s are joining too. Ultimately having fully depreciated Geminis on college and school work in particularly isn’t a bad place to be. Interior vinyls yes, but to be frank, other routes across the SW are a greater opportunity and therefore priority but we will get there.
Somerset CC’s BSIP is encouragingly ambitious so let’s hope it finds favour with the DfT !
It's always been an area of a few good routes and a hinterland of marginal stuff and so the home of some superannuated fleet. I know that the Geminis will belie their years too and appreciate that not all the deckers arriving are of 2004/5 vintage. It would be good if something akin to 2012 e400s could be cascaded in but neither the economics nor availability will permit that.

The fleet is much better presented now than in 2013 and, I have to say, even a couple of years ago when there was a lot of Urban on show. Nowadays, the fleet is very smart externally and internally, much improved too. Here's hoping that the new P&R fleet will permit some Streetlites to be cascaded, and as for the BSIP, I really hope that it is ambitious in improving both the physical infrastructure to enable more reliable services to be operated, and to restore some of those later journeys or depleted headways (rather than some daft DRT schemes). Look forward to seeing it.
Roadside publicity seems to have been forgotten pretty much everywhere now.
Buses of Somerset commendably are on top of things.

Just been in Shepton and the service to Wells has been enhanced to half hourly.... nothing from FWoE but the old times still in situ. So on the 20, you have an hourly service but the times show a half hourly, yet the 174 has the opposite!
The town centre redevelopment has probably been slightly beneficial to us. Because First and Stagecoach are terminating at the station, we're doing tremendous business out of Banwell because i've been making the effort to stop somewhere closer to the town centre (current the Town Hall stop).
Was it First's or NSC's idea to have the buses stopping in Locking Road/Rail Station? I assumed it was the council because it's a ludicrous state of affairs but a bit better for the @Citistar coffers

Interesting that WECA is supposed to be getting funding for "A fully prioritised bus route between Bristol and Bath" according to the BBC website. About time, as my comments on the X39 suggested. There is ample room for a bus lane on the Upper Bristol Road from Newbridge into Bath, as well as the area around Arnos Vale. Perish the thought that the local denizens and patrons of the executive health spas opposite the cemetery would have to park their cars elsewhere... (Note: there is a bus lane by Arnos Vale - 1630-1830 Weekdays only)

-Colly405-

At about 1730 last night I saw a Citylines East decker heading south in Bradley Stoke Way. The front showed Huboo H1, the rear H2.

Is this a new contract gain?

Marcus Fryer

At about 1730 last night I saw a Citylines East decker heading south in Bradley Stoke Way. The front showed Huboo H1, the rear H2.

I think so. I’ve also seen it on a couple of occasions in the last month, whist waiting for a m1 at Willow Brook.
They have a warehouse on the Woodlands trading estate in north Bradley Stoke.

Last edited:

Callum15632

Is it the first time that 47559 isn't working the Sunday 12 and 622 today? 47447 seems to be working it instead?

Might be a staff shuttle for workers that work at Huboo in Emerson's Green near the science park?

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member

Thanks, as always for an interesting report. Pity it didn't quite start out as planned, but looks like you made full use of the day anyway.

It has been ages since I've been on a bus, other than the occasional short hop on the 48 or 49 (hardly thr most inspiring!) so was good to be updated on how things currently stand. For me, the WoE fleet has become pretty similar, quite bland and not much variety, which perhaps explains why my enthusiasm has wained somewhat. Even in Wells it's pretty much all e400s with the occasional B9. You're right, the promotional stuff for a lot of routes seems to have disappeared recently, which is a shame given how much fanfare was met when the 376 was relaunched back in 2015. Now it all just seems a bit tired and worn. Didn't realise Shepton was still displaying 161/162! I think the 161 went in around 2015/2016, whereas the thrice daily 162 last ran in 2010!

BoS seems to be plodding on, and from your reports seems to be a bit more effort involved. A day in that territory would be good, though as you say have always suffered from relatively low usage. That region has always had the most mature fleet, which isn't always a bad thing of course, at least for enthusiasts, but have in the past benefitted from new stuff too. Glad they are making a decent effort with some of their more popular routes. On that, what is the situation with Taunton bus station? I read recently that the council are considering reopening it on a temporary basis, though can't remember the reason. Wells bus station too has just benefitted from some cosmetics, which I think must have been completed last week.

Thanks for the info on the Weston 5. Perhaps a day trying the various Weston locals is on the cards.

carlberry

Established Member
On that, what is the situation with Taunton bus station? I read recently that the council are considering reopening it on a temporary basis, though can't remember the reason.
I think it was mainly that it was embarrassing that nothing had been done about it, however it was Somerset that suggested using it as a bus station (possibly part of their bus improvement plan) whereas it's owned by the town council who had a different agenda (most likely a temporary car park!).

Citistar

Was it First's or NSC's idea to have the buses stopping in Locking Road/Rail Station? I assumed it was the council because it's a ludicrous state of affairs but a bit better for the @Citistar coffers
I've no idea. We weren't consulted about arrangements, but i expect nothing else from the Castlewood Lad's Club. The additional passengers from Banwell don't actually gain us anything as we're on fixed concessionary reimbursements for the time being.

Buses in Bath

Temporary changes to Bath services due to driver shortage.

Service 1: Monday-Saturday frequency will reduce from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. Sunday frequency will reduce from every 20 to every 30 minutes. Service 1 will also move back into the bus station as its final destination.
Service 3/3a: no changes Monday-Friday or Sunday. On Saturdays service 3a will be withdrawn and run just as the service 3, which will run every 20 minutes and additionally serve Elmhurst.
Service 4/4a: Monday-Friday frequency will reduce from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes. Service 4 will will extend to Upper Weston Monday-Fridays meaning a combined every 15 minute frequency will operate between Bear Flat and Upper Weston. No changes Saturday or Sunday.
Service 5: Monday-Saturday frequency will reduce from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. There are no changes on a Sunday. The service 5 will also move back into the bus station as its final destination.
Service U5: Monday-Friday frequency will reduce from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. No changes Saturday or Sunday.
Service X39: frequency off-peak will reduce to every 20 minutes
Service D1x: all off peak journeys will be withdrawn Monday-Friday and all journeys will be withdrawn on Saturdays
Service D2: frequency off-peak will reduce to every 60 minutes Monday-Friday and all day on Saturday.
New timetables are listed here: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/planned-changes/first-west-england-announc

A lot of changes and movements in Weston-super-Mare as well with 1 & 20 which are being withdrawn on a Sunday marking the end of the summer season.
As well as this first are taking over service 51/51s from Stagecoach which is extended to Wrington. New timetable here: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/uploads/maps/51_51s_A4_Web.pdf
Finally 32011, 32328, 32332, 32338, 32341, 32356, 32349, 42903, 42904 & 42925 are now all off fleet. 32011 is off to Wales with 32013 following shortly behind soon and the rest are mostly scrap or preservation apparently.

I also just want to mention that these Bath changes have hopefully marked the end to the reliability issues that have been present recently. I am much more happy with these reductions if this is the case. For example routes 4/4a have been absoloutely shocking recently. This seemed to mostly be down to the fact that they had they're waiting times at the end of each route slashed to just 2 mins (4a) and 5 mins (4). These have now been increased to 13 (4a) and 15 (4) so this should end this and also shows just how wrong they got it at the last changes.

Last edited:

vla50

Temporary changes to Bath services due to driver shortage.

Service 1: Monday-Saturday frequency will reduce from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. Sunday frequency will reduce from every 20 to every 30 minutes. Service 1 will also move back into the bus station as its final destination.
Service 3/3a: no changes Monday-Friday or Sunday. On Saturdays service 3a will be withdrawn and run just as the service 3, which will run every 20 minutes and additionally serve Elmhurst.
Service 4/4a: Monday-Friday frequency will reduce from every 20 minutes to every 30 minutes. Service 4 will will extend to Upper Weston Monday-Fridays meaning a combined every 15 minute frequency will operate between Bear Flat and Upper Weston. No changes Saturday or Sunday.
Service 5: Monday-Saturday frequency will reduce from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. There are no changes on a Sunday. The service 5 will also move back into the bus station as its final destination.
Service U5: Monday-Friday frequency will reduce from every 10 minutes to every 15 minutes. No changes Saturday or Sunday.
Service X39: frequency off-peak will reduce to every 20 minutes
Service D1x: all off peak journeys will be withdrawn Monday-Friday and all journeys will be withdrawn on Saturdays
Service D2: frequency off-peak will reduce to every 60 minutes Monday-Friday and all day on Saturday.
New timetables are listed here: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/bristol-bath-and-west/news-and-service-updates/planned-changes/first-west-england-announc

A lot of changes and movements in Weston-super-Mare as well with 1 & 20 which are being withdrawn on a Sunday marking the end of the summer season.
As well as this first are taking over service 51/51s from Stagecoach which is extended to Wrington. New timetable here: https://www.firstbus.co.uk/uploads/maps/51_51s_A4_Web.pdf
Finally 32011, 32328, 32332, 32338, 32341, 32356, 32349, 42903, 42904 & 42925 are now all off fleet. 32011 is off to Wales with 32013 following shortly behind soon and the rest are mostly scrap or preservation apparently.

I also just want to mention that these Bath changes have hopefully marked the end to the reliability issues that have been present recently. I am much more happy with these reductions if this is the case. For example routes 4/4a have been absoloutely shocking recently. This seemed to mostly be down to the fact that they had they're waiting times at the end of each route slashed to just 2 mins (4a) and 5 mins (4). These have now been increased to 13 (4a) and 15 (4) so this should end this and also shows just how wrong they got it at the last changes.
Why are 32011/13 moving to Wales and is anything replacing them?

Jj79

Is Weston getting any new or newer buses anytime soon? And is the Badgerline livery here to stay? Seen a number of buses recently around weston on the 7 in urban livery.

Ancelljb

Is Weston getting any new or newer buses anytime soon? And is the Badgerline livery here to stay? Seen a number of buses recently around weston on the 7 in urban livery.
According a driver on a Facebook group (I can find the link), they are to receive 28 streetdecks to replace the excel E400s, and are in the process of receiving B9s from Bristol to replace their Badgerline B7s, and I’m guessing these will be painted into Badgerline for use on the 1/7/20.

Callum15632

According a driver on a Facebook group (I can find the link), they are to receive 28 streetdecks to replace the excel E400s, and are in the process of receiving B9s from Bristol to replace their Badgerline B7s, and I’m guessing these will be painted into Badgerline for use on the 1/7/20.
37319/20/21/22/24/25/26/27 have already transferred to Weston from Bristol already.