• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Since we've already got a South West and Wales discussion, lets have one for West Yorkshire and York.

I'll start it off with two vehicles in Huddersfield were seen (one was 69561) in a new baby blue livery similar to that of what is seen in Bristol, is this the new route branding for the 372 or for Huddersfield in general as I can't see anything online about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex 2901

I'll start it off with two vehicles in Huddersfield were seen (one was 69561) in a new baby blue livery similar to that of what is seen in Bristol, is this the new route branding for the 372 or for Huddersfield in general as I can't see anything online about it?

Route branding for the 370, 371, 372. A number of B7TL/Geminis are being done as well (37020, 37024 being 2 i can remember)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Route branding for the 370, 371, 372. A number of B7TL/Geminis are being done as well (37020, 37024 being 2 i can remember)

I wonder if something similar is in the pipeline for the 181-185 with purple, the 301 & 302 with yellow, the 548/549 with pink and the 398 & 399 in grey? As I have to say that its going to look rather colourful in Huddersfield.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wonder if something similar is in the pipeline for the 181-185 with purple, the 301 & 302 with yellow, the 548/549 with pink and the 398 & 399 in grey? As I have to say that its going to look rather colourful in Huddersfield.

First will probably carry on with it for 6 months, then randomly buses will randomly appear on any route.

mic

not sure that would happen as 184 is run by First Greater Manchester and they have de-branded the buses that had 180/184 branding on

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
First will probably carry on with it for 6 months, then randomly buses will randomly appear on any route.

I remember that happening a lot with the 590-594 Green Line branded vehicles on the unbranded Pink Line 548/549. The latter two sees the odd Solo working it now and again, usually in the evening.

Andyh82

Established Member

I’m surprised they haven’t done the Golcars, I expect the reason may be that the Streetlites are new and not due for a repaint yet.

None of the others are very likely, a very odd list of services you’ve picked there. You’ve missed the other most likely recipient which is the 328

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Doesn't the 328 use whatevers lurking at the back of Old Fieldhouse Lane? It wasn't that long a go when it was littered with 'boneshakers' or the odd Verde. I've never seen any new buses on it this also includes the one from Bristol which is/was running around in Barbie. I see what you mean though with the 328 being an ideal candidate for being branded.

Andyh82

Established Member
Doesn't the 328 use whatevers lurking at the back of Old Fieldhouse Lane? It wasn't that long a go when it was littered with 'boneshakers' or the odd Verde. I've never seen any new buses on it this also includes the one from Bristol which is/was running around in Barbie. I see what you mean though with the 328 being an ideal candidate for being branded.
No, the 328 was allocated the Eclipse IIs from new. In recent times some were moved to the 372 though to upgrade the service due to the competition from Yorkshire Tiger so it’s had a down grade.

The 327 gets any old bus, as does the Marsdens, and the uni service is Two ALX400s with loads of extras working on and off schools and bingo.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
The route brand for the blue fronted fllet for the 370, 371 and 372 seems to have been made a lot clearer, as one Gemini has it vinyled up as HD Connect.

Meanwhile in Leeds, the latest timetable change in September sees the 29 between Student Village and Headingley Campus scrapped in favour of a service 1B, surely First could introduce "U" prefixes for the University services as they have elsewhere and the 714 between Bradford and the Owlcotes Centre is also facing the chop.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Those Streetdecks could be for the 1B which replaces the 29, either that or possibly the 2,3,3A,12,13,13A which could be the next route to become part of the the LeedsCity network? Most of the fleet in Leeds has already seen the Pulse branding scraped off but some may still be in service with it.

Shame that First West Yorkshire doesn't produce their own Bus Guides (similar to the FWoE Keynsham guide) complete with up-to-date route maps and timetables, as some of the WYCA issued timetables still have route maps that date back to the dawn of the Overground and some of the latest ones aren't even up on the website.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I understand that this batch is ~60 buses. So it could have a big impact on a number of routes. Potentially a lot of effort will be put into routes around the bus station because that is the area where the new CAZ is most likely to fail.

Kieran1990

Those Streetdecks could be for the 1B which replaces the 29, either that or possibly the 2,3,3A,12,13,13A which could be the next route to become part of the the LeedsCity network? Most of the fleet in Leeds has already seen the Pulse branding scraped off but some may still be in service with it.

Think the 33/33A routes could be candidates to go over. The current street decks seem to spend a lot of their time onSaturday’s & Sunday’s on that route.

You never know they could go on the 56/19/19A which would convert the entire Hyde Pk/Headingley/West Pk area to streetdecks.

Andyh82

Established Member
The 19/19A always seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

I believe the 2, 3 etc are the next recipients, the PVR is 40-odd buses on those routes

goldisgood

I'd guess the 2/3/3A/12/13/13A - the pvr of those is about 45 if I did the sums correctly, and if around 60 are coming there are enough for the 1B and possibly another route. The 1B may not get them as I think it is university term time only? I don't think the 56 will get Streetdecks - can they be fitted with guide wheels for the busway sections? I doubt the 19/19A would get the buses if the 2/3, etc get them as if the estimated 60 is right there just don't seem to be enough coming for these. The 33/33A could get them as if around 60 are coming then it should fit about right? (c.45 for the 2/3/3A/12/13/13A, c.14 for the 33/33A). These seem to be some of the busier routes (?) which normally get the newer buses. Perhaps when these buses come, the York/Selby Road guided routes (19, 19A, 40 and 56, probably not the 64?) could get the 2012 B9s? According to ukbuses there are 42 of these left at Leeds, with c.12 needed for the 19/19A, c.10 for the 40 and c.10-12 for the 56, which would let some of them run as spares or on other routes. It would be a shame for them to go, when there are older buses still running around, and particularly with the CAZ coming up they would be ideal to upgrade. A lot of ifs here!

In a nutshell - I'd guess the 2/3/12/13s and probably the 33/33A would get the Streetdecks, hopefully releasing the B9s onto the 19/19A, 40 and 56 to upgrade the guided routes.

BradK2017

I'd guess the 2/3/3A/12/13/13A - the pvr of those is about 45 if I did the sums correctly, and if around 60 are coming there are enough for the 1B and possibly another route. The 1B may not get them as I think it is university term time only? I don't think the 56 will get Streetdecks - can they be fitted with guide wheels for the busway sections? I doubt the 19/19A would get the buses if the 2/3, etc get them as if the estimated 60 is right there just don't seem to be enough coming for these. The 33/33A could get them as if around 60 are coming then it should fit about right? (c.45 for the 2/3/3A/12/13/13A, c.14 for the 33/33A). These seem to be some of the busier routes (?) which normally get the newer buses. Perhaps when these buses come, the York/Selby Road guided routes (19, 19A, 40 and 56, probably not the 64?) could get the 2012 B9s? According to ukbuses there are 42 of these left at Leeds, with c.12 needed for the 19/19A, c.10 for the 40 and c.10-12 for the 56, which would let some of them run as spares or on other routes. It would be a shame for them to go, when there are older buses still running around, and particularly with the CAZ coming up they would be ideal to upgrade. A lot of ifs here!

In a nutshell - I'd guess the 2/3/12/13s and probably the 33/33A would get the Streetdecks, hopefully releasing the B9s onto the 19/19A, 40 and 56 to upgrade the guided routes.

Depending on when they are all due to arrive (or possibly the next batch) its possible that some will operate the new services to Thorpe Park,as the advertisment on the Website ( http://www.thorpepark-parklife.co.uk/new-bus-services-arriving-soon/ ) features the Leeds City Branding.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Hasn't it been confirmed previously that you can't fit guidewheels to Streetdecks ?

goldisgood

Hasn't it been confirmed previously that you can't fit guidewheels to Streetdecks ?
Correct. That is also the reason behind why the X6 was split in Bradford, the new buses couldn't go up Manc Road guideway.

Also, I can't be the only one who realises the entire fleet will have to be replaced all at roughly the same time in about 15 years, when every (now new) bus will be looking very scruffy and tired. Streetdecks ain't gonna last as long as Volvos. I realise that they need to buy new buses by 2020, but this is going to lead to a massive cost when it comes to replacing (all of) them

Bayum

Established Member
Correct. That is also the reason behind why the X6 was split in Bradford, the new buses couldn't go up Manc Road guideway.

Also, I can't be the only one who realises the entire fleet will have to be replaced all at roughly the same time in about 15 years, when every (now new) bus will be looking very scruffy and tired. Streetdecks ain't gonna last as long as Volvos. I realise that they need to buy new buses by 2020, but this is going to lead to a massive cost when it comes to replacing (all of) them

With the cleaner emissions going on around Leeds, there's a big push to get all buses switched over ASAP. When the streetdecks are the majority of the fleet, First won't have such a mission to make their buses greener within a certain time period. So say in 15 years time, the new buses will still be 'cleaner' and they'll not need to alter their fleet quite so quickly.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Why can’t you put guidewheels on a streetdeck ?

Could it be to do with clearance issue between the axle and bodywork or possibly the bodywork is fraction or two larger, thus risking clipping the guideway infrastructure?

bluenoxid

Established Member

It won’t be the entire fleet. There is a programme of Euro 6 equivalent emissions retrofitting going on.

goldisgood

I think the issue with the Streetdeck may be the chassis, not the body. I think that the guidewheels attach to the chassis, and I guess that there isn't an easy way to attach them on the Streetdeck.

Yorks185

I Thought it was to do with Lightweight vs Heavy weight chassis,with only Scania & Volvo being the only Chassis to take guidewheels in the UK. Arriva tried fitting them to the Tempos for routes 163/166 back in 2009 but after numerous problems over the first couple of week,took the routes off the guideway on York Rd & Selby Rd (this is also the reason why 268 never used the Manchester Rd guideway in Bradford)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

I would suspect that, in the same manner as the 2012 Volvos being sent to Swansea and Leeds, there will be some mid-life cascades (either to other OpCos or within West Yorkshire) so that it won't be that they'll be a slew of new vehicles up to 2020 then nothing for years.