• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West Yorkshire & York discussion

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Are first planning an increase on the Headingley routes from late Sept with Leeds rather large student population returning?
Seen a lot of bus full operation over the past week out the city, implying more people are using the bus network.

They don't seem to have registered any changes happening after the end of August. It could get quite busy. Although there will be many fewer students on the campuses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Are first planning an increase on the Headingley routes from late Sept with Leeds rather large student population returning?
Seen a lot of bus full operation over the past week out the city, implying more people are using the bus network.

I can't really see any increases happening until late January to be honest.

Leeds1970

first leeds 784 otley to skipton changes to transdev operation nxt month and x6&72 go back to leeds bus station

leedslad82

On another forum it states with the headrow in leeds reopening the 10 will be withdrawn with the 1 returning to serve Beeston. However the 1 will no longer serve holt park and will terminate at the lawnswood roundabout instead with 8 services an hour

bluenoxid

Established Member
784 switching to Transdev is interesting.

Check out the withdrawn applications PB0001748/147 and146

Deerfold

Veteran Member
784 switching to Transdev is interesting.

Check out the withdrawn applications PB0001748/147 and146

I'm wondering if those were when First withdrew between Skipton and Ilkley and were withdrawn when First put the 784 back in.

leedslad82

Metro have announced following

Services affected: 1, 5, 5A, 6, 8(First), 10, 11, 11A, 15, 27, 28, 29, 33, 34, 42, 49, 50, 50A, 56, 72, 74, 75, 85, 117, 118, 200, 201, 201A, 202, 203, 254, 254A, 255, 784, X6, X17, X25, X84, X85, X98 and X99
First and Arriva are changing bus services in Leeds from Sunday 4 October due to the reopening of The Headrow in the City Centre

Updated: 18 September 2020

This a summary of the changes to bus services in and around Leeds from Sunday 4 October:
Timetables will be available soon if not stated below
1 – will now operate between Beeston, Leeds City Centre and Lawnswood School only replacing service 10. Service 8 will run to Holt Park see below.
5 5A - Evenings and Sunday services that run via Calverley St instead of Leeds City College and Clarendon Way are renumbered 5A.
First will be using electric buses on these routes from Sunday 4 October.
6 – Rerouted into Leeds City Bus Station via The Headrow and Eastgate
7 7A 7S X7 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability
8 – New route. Leeds City Bus Station – Holt Park via Headingley and Lawnswood
11 11A – Timetable for punctuality and reliability. Service 11A running from New Briggate instead of from Infirmary Street
15 – Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability and will also be serving Amazon at Logic Business Park
27 - Rerouted into Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate instead of running from Leeds Rail Station
28 - Rerouted into Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate instead of running from Leeds Rail Station.
Will no longer serve Leeds Dock To be replaced by new 29.
29 – New Route operating between Leeds Dock and University of Leeds (Parkinson Steps) via Leeds City Bus Station
33 34 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability Rerouted towards Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate
42 – Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability and rerouted via The Headrow and Eastgate towards Oakwood
60 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability Rerouted towards Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate
72 X6 - Rerouted back into and out of Leeds City Bus Station
74 75 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability
85 – New route calling at all stops between Leeds Bus Stn and Pool-in-Wharfedale
Arriva services 117 118 200 201 201A 202 203 254 254A 255 X17 - are rerouted from Leeds City Bus Station via Eastgate stopping on Vicar Lane
784 - Will not be run by First and will be taken over by Transdev (Keighley Bus Company)
X84 - Rerouted into Leeds Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate. Monday to Saturday daytimes - a 15 minute service between Leeds Bus Station and Otley with two bus an hour to/from Ilkley
X85 will be withdrawn replaced by service 85
X98 X99 – Rerouted in Leeds City Centre, towards Wetherby services will not be going from New Briggate. X98 and X99 will start and terminate at Boar Lane.
Into the city centre running via The Headrow and Park Row. From Boar Lane running via Duncan Street, Vicar Lane and Eastgate.
Passengers can board on the Headrow for outbound journeys towards Wetherby

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Metro have announced following

Services affected: 1, 5, 5A, 6, 8(First), 10, 11, 11A, 15, 27, 28, 29, 33, 34, 42, 49, 50, 50A, 56, 72, 74, 75, 85, 117, 118, 200, 201, 201A, 202, 203, 254, 254A, 255, 784, X6, X17, X25, X84, X85, X98 and X99
First and Arriva are changing bus services in Leeds from Sunday 4 October due to the reopening of The Headrow in the City Centre

Updated: 18 September 2020

This a summary of the changes to bus services in and around Leeds from Sunday 4 October:
Timetables will be available soon if not stated below
1 – will now operate between Beeston, Leeds City Centre and Lawnswood School only replacing service 10. Service 8 will run to Holt Park see below.
5 5A - Evenings and Sunday services that run via Calverley St instead of Leeds City College and Clarendon Way are renumbered 5A.
First will be using electric buses on these routes from Sunday 4 October.
6 – Rerouted into Leeds City Bus Station via The Headrow and Eastgate
7 7A 7S X7 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability
8 – New route. Leeds City Bus Station – Holt Park via Headingley and Lawnswood
11 11A – Timetable for punctuality and reliability. Service 11A running from New Briggate instead of from Infirmary Street
15 – Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability and will also be serving Amazon at Logic Business Park
27 - Rerouted into Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate instead of running from Leeds Rail Station
28 - Rerouted into Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate instead of running from Leeds Rail Station.
Will no longer serve Leeds Dock To be replaced by new 29.
29 – New Route operating between Leeds Dock and University of Leeds (Parkinson Steps) via Leeds City Bus Station
33 34 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability Rerouted towards Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate
42 – Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability and rerouted via The Headrow and Eastgate towards Oakwood
60 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability Rerouted towards Leeds City Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate
72 X6 - Rerouted back into and out of Leeds City Bus Station
74 75 - Revised timetable for punctuality and reliability
85 – New route calling at all stops between Leeds Bus Stn and Pool-in-Wharfedale
Arriva services 117 118 200 201 201A 202 203 254 254A 255 X17 - are rerouted from Leeds City Bus Station via Eastgate stopping on Vicar Lane
784 - Will not be run by First and will be taken over by Transdev (Keighley Bus Company)
X84 - Rerouted into Leeds Bus Station via the Headrow and Eastgate. Monday to Saturday daytimes - a 15 minute service between Leeds Bus Station and Otley with two bus an hour to/from Ilkley
X85 will be withdrawn replaced by service 85
X98 X99 – Rerouted in Leeds City Centre, towards Wetherby services will not be going from New Briggate. X98 and X99 will start and terminate at Boar Lane.
Into the city centre running via The Headrow and Park Row. From Boar Lane running via Duncan Street, Vicar Lane and Eastgate.
Passengers can board on the Headrow for outbound journeys towards Wetherby

Where have Metro announced this?

I've found it:

Seems a hard page to find! Certainly not one you come across if you're looking for information about general bus changes.

bluenoxid

Established Member
A lot of extra departures for Leeds Bus Station here. Will it cope with so many extra departures each hour? It is already very busy.

Most of these changes are restorations of previous routes that were halted by the Headrow works but I do understand where you are coming from.

Andyh82

Established Member
A lot of extra departures for Leeds Bus Station here. Will it cope with so many extra departures each hour? It is already very busy.
Can't see why not, they've had more departures in the past

It'll also still be quieter than Huddersfield

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
So that explains why the 1, 6, 10, 27 and 28 maps have been taken off the First Leeds route maps page. I did have a funny feeling that the 28 would be renumbered to the 8 and that a 5A would be introduced somehow whether to the Docks or via Calverley Street, I can imagine the 19A being renumbered to the 18 within the next year.

The 784 being taken over by Transdev is an interesting one, I wonder if this will be interworked with the 965 and 72 at the Otley and Skipton ends?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
So that explains why the 1, 6, 10, 27 and 28 maps have been taken off the First Leeds route maps page. I did have a funny feeling that the 28 would be renumbered to the 8 and that a 5A would be introduced somehow whether to the Docks or via Calverley Street, I can imagine the 19A being renumbered to the 18 within the next year.

The 784 being taken over by Transdev is an interesting one, I wonder if this will be interworked with the 965 and 72 at the Otley and Skipton ends?

Interworking doesn't seem to be their style. The 965 and 62 don't interwork. Nor do the 66 and the 72.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Interworking doesn't seem to be their style. The 965 and 62 don't interwork. Nor do the 66 and the 72.
The 72 is a largely self-contained one (small) bus duty, whilst the 66 requires much larger buses, at least in normal circumstance. The same applies to the 965 and 62. Therefore, inter-working would probably create problems, rather than solving any!

Kieran1990

I noticed that as well!
Saw a map showing 29 and wondered if they would be changing a few bits about. Wonder how the 29 will turn up at Parkinson steps?
Assume with the 1 returning through to Beeston that Park Row will be re-opening towards the light?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The 72 is a largely self-contained one (small) bus duty, whilst the 66 requires much larger buses, at least in normal circumstance. The same applies to the 965 and 62. Therefore, inter-working would probably create problems, rather than solving any!

Until recently the 66 was run with very similar buses to the 72. |'m hoping the 784 will be run with larger buses than on the 962.

Andyh82

Established Member
Until recently the 66 was run with very similar buses to the 72. |'m hoping the 784 will be run with larger buses than on the 962.
I expect it’ll be full sized single decks like what First use. If they can get 2795/6 in service in the next few weeks, then two buses will become available there

Stan Drews

Established Member
I should also have said that the 72 timetable was designed so that it could be a simple one bus/one driver duty, avoiding the need for any driver change-overs during the day.
I suspect much will depend on the frequency of the 784 (and number of buses it will require), but I’d be surprised if they chose to interwork it with other routes.

Andyh82

Established Member
Plans for the new Halifax Bus Station have been given the go ahead

Works to start 2021 with opening expected in 2023

Plans for a new £15.8 million Halifax Bus Station delivered in partnership with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority have been approved by members of Calderdale Council’s Planning Committee.

The scheme will be delivered through Leeds City Region’s £317 million Transforming Cities Fund (TCF) - a major new programme of transport infrastructure investment secured as part of West Yorkshire’s devolution deal earlier this year.
The current 1989 Bus station will be demolished but the 3 listed buildings will of course be kept and incorporated into the new station

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I noticed that as well! Saw a map showing 29 and wondered if they would be changing a few bits about. Wonder how the 29 will turn up at Parkinson steps? Assume with the 1 returning through to Beeston that Park Row will be re-opening towards the light?

I'm guessing that the 29 will be ran as a circular, Leeds Dock to Leeds Dock via University then from the university a sharp right hander back towards the city centre. I think that the 5 should have been expanded to serve the University and the Docks instead of this 29, with the City Centre to Halton Park section being reverted back to a 37 or even changed to a 17 or a 41. Then the 5 would be truly be a City Centre service serving the Docks, railway station, universities, the city itself and the bus station.

Hvae you got a copy of that map that shows the 29?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is also the 508 and if you have a MetroCard, the A1 as well

Thanks - I shouldn't forget the 508, I used to be a regular (although mostly before it was rerouted through Kirkstall). There's the 60, too, for those with a MCard (I don't think there's any Metrocards left).

Kieran1990

I'm guessing that the 29 will be ran as a circular, Leeds Dock to Leeds Dock via University then from the university a sharp right hander back towards the city centre. I think that the 5 should have been expanded to serve the University and the Docks instead of this 29, with the City Centre to Halton Park section being reverted back to a 37 or even changed to a 17 or a 41. Then the 5 would be truly be a City Centre service serving the Docks, railway station, universities, the city itself and the bus station.

Hvae you got a copy of that map that shows the 29?

Sadly any maps on metro or First is out of date.
It might swing round by the new library before Parkinson steps and drop off/ p-up outside of Tesco’s.
Shame to lose the 27/28’s for Leeds station

Absolute chaos the last 2 days with the Headrow stops re-opening.
The main strip had all the bollards/ fences and work site removed on Saturday- sadly mixed messages went out to drives on X6/42/49/50/50A/72 to what stop to be served- temp stop should of been served but buses pulling up at the new stops outside Horse and Trumpet

Plus both re-opened stops list Horsforth , Bramley & Burley as served from both stops- a lot of confusion today

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Plans for the new Halifax Bus Station have been given the go ahead

Works to start 2021 with opening expected in 2023

The current 1989 Bus station will be demolished but the 3 listed buildings will of course be kept and incorporated into the new station

The Halifax bus station has been the worst of the large interchanges for a while with the island platforms and pedestrian crossings so it's replacement is about due. As someone from out of area, I've always thought it a bit on the periphery and surprised that Metro could've tried to use the site better but haven't. It's a large site for a relatively modestly sized town.

That being said, this is Metro and they do like an oversized, ostentatious bus station (see Ossett, Cleckheaton etc)