• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Why are you setting out to antagonise a driver? Fair enough if this particular driver admits to any mistake, but from being in this game long enough I doubt it. I'd just bar you from any vehicle I was driving if you came at me with such a self-righteous attitude. End of the day, driver decides who boards and travels, regardless of policy or legislation.
I’m not. But what I do object to is to be spoken to in a manner which is aggressive. With respect, you weren’t there on this particular occasion and it sounds like this ‘policy’ is actively coming from somebody above, who knows who, but the point stands that it’s causing problems that should never have been allowed to exist. Proof in the pudding is the fact others have seen it happen too. I’m not interested in causing bother, but what I will do is stand up for myself when someone is flat out lying to me. Now, perhaps they’re not aware that they are, but that excuses the point.

Again, banning someone from a bus due to my supposed attitude is bit excessive. You’re judging this with half the facts. The driver was an extremely rude and aggressive individual, who was taking joy enforcing this policy and leaving people behind, smiling at them sarcastically as he turned them away. I was trying to explain to him that he was wrong, instead he just shouted back at me. But in your eyes that’s acceptable? At no point did I get aggressive or abusive, because that is fundamentally wrong and no individual should have to put up with that.

At one point he threatened to leave my girlfriend behind in Edinburgh for the night over this. Eventually I made him see sense given the coach was practically empty and it was late at night, ie not a good precedent.

I am angry and upset by this as it’s unacceptable. Flixbus shouldn’t be leaving people behind unless it’s fully booked up/already full, end of. No ifs, no buts. Believe me this driver would try and turn away 80 year old Mrs Smith. Nothing would stop him trying.

At some point the wrong individual is going to come across this and it’s going to end up in the press if it isn’t fixed. Like I say, it could fall within the breaches of ASA, TC and CMA. McGills have to be really careful and remove it as soon as possible.

A lot of drivers make the rules up as they go along on the McGill's Flixbus runs. With regard to the NEC, they get away with it cause nobody challenges them. Speak up in future is my advice and don't let them dictate.
I’m sure it’s not just one drivers made up policy. I have seen several people refused onto FlixBus coaches in Aberdeen with an NEC card but no booking.
I’m glad this isn’t the case. It’s clear then it’s someone in management doing this, which in fairness is what the driver told me. He referred to it as a McGill’s policy when I asked.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nawm8

If the driver was rude and aggressive to you then that's a separate issue, and sad to hear.

If they've been told no walk on NEC, then it would be within their remit to refuse travel. Waving a phone about saying the website says otherwise is antagonistic, regardless of intent.

If it has upset you then I'd hope you've passed this incident onto the depot or flixbus for further investigation.

Hopefully clear instruction for all drivers will come from your bad experience.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Flixbus Inverness starts 25th April. This is the current timetable. Data from bustimes which gets it's data from Flixbus open data and so while it's not available to book yet, the trips are in their system.

Operator MGE is McGills Scotland East Livingston Depot, operator MCG is McGills Johnstone Depot. The trips with no operator are the ones I presume will be operated by the Inverness depot, I am unsure which management division this will fall under (West, East or XploreDundee) so I've not assigned a code to these trips.
Operator for all locations is Loch Lomond Bus Services Ltd. None of the other McGill’s Group operators licences have any involvement with Flixbus.

Martin2012

The only time I was told to seat in an assigned seat was when traveling with McGill's despite the bus being mostly empty and alighting at the next stop.

Most other operators will allow you to sit in any unreserved seat
Last Flixbus trip I took a couple of months ago was with McGills, traveling from Bristol to Birmingham and back. On the outbound journey to Birmingham I had paid for a front row seat but upon boarding I was told by the driver that the front seats were unavailable 'because they were wet' (they had the driver's bags on them) and told to sit in any free seat. I ended up on the back row. On the return journey my reserved seat was 20D on the back row but upon boarding there was a passenger sat there and two front seats were empty so I ended up sitting there instead.

Numerous times I've been allocated a seat right on the back row when booking but on occasions when I have boarded and the back row has already been occupied I've been told by the drivers to just sit anywhere. Also on several occasions I've paid to reserve a front seat only to board and find the seats either already occupied or blocked off with the driver's bags. On one occasion with Turners on the 070 when I booked the front seat, I boarded to find all 4 seats blocked off and whilst the driver reluctantly allowed me to sit there he told me that I 'had no more right than anyone else to sit in the front seat just because I boarded first'

route101

Established Member
Last Flixbus trip I took a couple of months ago was with McGills, traveling from Bristol to Birmingham and back. On the outbound journey to Birmingham I had paid for a front row seat but upon boarding I was told by the driver that the front seats were unavailable 'because they were wet' (they had the driver's bags on them) and told to sit in any free seat. I ended up on the back row. On the return journey my reserved seat was 20D on the back row but upon boarding there was a passenger sat there and two front seats were empty so I ended up sitting there instead.

Numerous times I've been allocated a seat right on the back row when booking but on occasions when I have boarded and the back row has already been occupied I've been told by the drivers to just sit anywhere. Also on several occasions I've paid to reserve a front seat only to board and find the seats either already occupied or blocked off with the driver's bags. On one occasion with Turners on the 070 when I booked the front seat, I boarded to find all 4 seats blocked off and whilst the driver reluctantly allowed me to sit there he told me that I 'had no more right than anyone else to sit in the front seat just because I boarded first'
I prefer the National Express way of only certain seats bookable. I think there is people who book Flixbus without realising they have a seat allocated. McGills seem to enforce the reservations more than other operators.

Mwanesh

I’m not. But what I do object to is to be spoken to in a manner which is aggressive. With respect, you weren’t there on this particular occasion and it sounds like this ‘policy’ is actively coming from somebody above, who knows who, but the point stands that it’s causing problems that should never have been allowed to exist. Proof in the pudding is the fact others have seen it happen too. I’m not interested in causing bother, but what I will do is stand up for myself when someone is flat out lying to me. Now, perhaps they’re not aware that they are, but that excuses the point.

Again, banning someone from a bus due to my supposed attitude is bit excessive. You’re judging this with half the facts. The driver was an extremely rude and aggressive individual, who was taking joy enforcing this policy and leaving people behind, smiling at them sarcastically as he turned them away. I was trying to explain to him that he was wrong, instead he just shouted back at me. But in your eyes that’s acceptable? At no point did I get aggressive or abusive, because that is fundamentally wrong and no individual should have to put up with that.

At one point he threatened to leave my girlfriend behind in Edinburgh for the night over this. Eventually I made him see sense given the coach was practically empty and it was late at night, ie not a good precedent.

I am angry and upset by this as it’s unacceptable. Flixbus shouldn’t be leaving people behind unless it’s fully booked up/already full, end of. No ifs, no buts. Believe me this driver would try and turn away 80 year old Mrs Smith. Nothing would stop him trying.

At some point the wrong individual is going to come across this and it’s going to end up in the press if it isn’t fixed. Like I say, it could fall within the breaches of ASA, TC and CMA. McGills have to be really careful and remove it as soon as possible.

I’m glad this isn’t the case. It’s clear then it’s someone in management doing this, which in fairness is what the driver told me. He referred to it as a McGill’s policy when I asked.
I would suggest that's an operator issue. As a driver and passenger at times. I just book tickets saves me the aggro. Let's make things easier.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I would suggest that's an operator issue. As a driver and passenger at times. I just book tickets saves me the aggro. Let's make things easier.
I understand your point and for yourself and many others that works. It’s just something that I fundamentally don’t agree with though. The pass is there to offer flexibility as well as opening up the industry to wider travel. Yes, you run the risk of not being able to get on, which I’m aware of, but the issues I’ve faced are unwarranted and unnecessary.

I won’t be using Flixbus again after the hassle I’ve had. I’m no fan of McGills as it is but this has just driven me away completely. Unfortunately, if others have the choice, something like the this could also drive them away from using it. There’s 3 other operators on the corridor I use so plenty of alternatives, none of which are like this. Yes, the journeys are mostly slower, but you usually get pleasant, friendly and happy staff. At worst, someone who says nothing. The only nice driver I’ve come across is the award winning one. She was really chatty and friendly, someone you could see who took pride in doing their job.

That aside, Flixbus will always appeal to the budget market, so the business will succeed massively at this. Unfortunately, in these cases, they can get away with rubbish customer service. I’d compare it similarly to Greyhound in the US, known for its awful customer service.

philthetube

Established Member

sounds as if the driver was doing his job and you did not like shat you were hearing, he followed company policy and you argued, if you keep arguing what does he do.?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think it's time we moved on from this. There is clearly a discrepancy between what staff on the ground are saying and the policies laid out in the Flixbus website. I suggest that a complaint to Flixbus is in order.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Upcoming Flixbus Changes March/April/May 2024.
This is all information that I have compiled (with some help from various people who have tipped me off on some changes). All have been verified using the Flixbus website and/or Flixbus Open Data (which Bustimes very helpfully shows).

Full timetables still available on the free to view Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZGwhJjOBWVxUCND-_Z12VWZYtgM_qMPU3mxkXr_QH_c). Best viewed on desktop or Google Sheets App. Just change the route and day of the week using the dropdown menus and it should all work.
DateRouteChange
21st March041 Bristol - LondonExtra trip Thurs-Mon with Newport Transport Electric Bus. Operated Bristol to London returns London to Newport via UWE and Bristol
28th March076 Manchester - BirminghamNew service linking Manchester, Manchester Airport and Birmingham. 2 return trips daily
2nd April074 Manchester - YorkNew service starting linking Manchester, Leeds and York. Variations on trips
25th April002 Leeds - LondonMinor retimings
25th April006 Cambridge - LondonMinor retimings
25th April010 Glasgow - LondonMinor retimings
25th April041 Bristol - LondonWithdrawn Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Retimed on other days
25th April042 Cardiff - LondonIncreased to 2 trips per day.
25th April045/N45 Plymouth - LondonIncreased to run upto 3 times per day. Minor timetable amendments too.
25th April046 Swansea - LondonTimes changed. Reduced to 2 full trips per day plus 2 short Newport-Swansea trips
25th April078 Taunton - NewcastleNow runs daily. Minor retimings northbound
25th April091 Glasgow - AberdeenRetimed. Glasgow-Dundee trips extended to/from Aberdeen
25th April092 Edinburgh - AberdeenIncreased to 5 buses per day
25th April093 Glasgow - PerthReduced to 2 trips per day but extended to Inverness
25th April094 Edinburgh - PerthReduced to 3 trips per day. Extended to Inverness. No longer serves Dundee
25th April940 Swansea - GatwickRetimed
25th AprilN31 Glasgow - LondonAdditionally runs Wednesday to London and Thursday to Glasgow
2nd May079 Manchester - Leicester1 round trip added via Sheffield & Nottingham

route101

Established Member
Upcoming Flixbus Changes March/April/May 2024.
This is all information that I have compiled (with some help from various people who have tipped me off on some changes). All have been verified using the Flixbus website and/or Flixbus Open Data (which Bustimes very helpfully shows).

Full timetables still available on the free to view Google Sheets (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZGwhJjOBWVxUCND-_Z12VWZYtgM_qMPU3mxkXr_QH_c). Best viewed on desktop or Google Sheets App. Just change the route and day of the week using the dropdown menus and it should all work.
DateRouteChange
21st March041 Bristol - LondonExtra trip Thurs-Mon with Newport Transport Electric Bus. Operated Bristol to London returns London to Newport via UWE and Bristol
28th March076 Manchester - BirminghamNew service linking Manchester, Manchester Airport and Birmingham. 2 return trips daily
2nd April074 Manchester - YorkNew service starting linking Manchester, Leeds and York. Variations on trips
25th April002 Leeds - LondonMinor retimings
25th April006 Cambridge - LondonMinor retimings
25th April010 Glasgow - LondonMinor retimings
25th April041 Bristol - LondonWithdrawn Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Retimed on other days
25th April042 Cardiff - LondonIncreased to 2 trips per day.
25th April045/N45 Plymouth - LondonIncreased to run upto 3 times per day. Minor timetable amendments too.
25th April046 Swansea - LondonTimes changed. Reduced to 2 full trips per day plus 2 short Newport-Swansea trips
25th April078 Taunton - NewcastleNow runs daily. Minor retimings northbound
25th April091 Glasgow - AberdeenRetimed. Glasgow-Dundee trips extended to/from Aberdeen
25th April092 Edinburgh - AberdeenIncreased to 5 buses per day
25th April093 Glasgow - PerthReduced to 2 trips per day but extended to Inverness
25th April094 Edinburgh - PerthReduced to 3 trips per day. Extended to Inverness. No longer serves Dundee
25th April940 Swansea - GatwickRetimed
25th AprilN31 Glasgow - LondonAdditionally runs Wednesday to London and Thursday to Glasgow
2nd May079 Manchester - Leicester1 round trip added via Sheffield & Nottingham
Interesting the N31 gets an increase. I have taken this service from Glasgow and its quiet until Leeds.

davehsug

Reported in the Stoke Sentinel that they're starting a twice a day service from Hanley to Mancherster airport. I don't know if it's just going to be an extra stop on the Birmingham to Manchester airport service? Probably so.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Reported in the Stoke Sentinel that they're starting a twice a day service from Hanley to Mancherster airport. I don't know if it's just going to be an extra stop on the Birmingham to Manchester airport service? Probably so.
Yes, that is the case. Bus calls Manchester Shudehill, Manchester Airport, Stoke (Hanley) and then Birmingham.

Simon75

On Moderation
Yes, that is the case. Bus calls Manchester Shudehill, Manchester Airport, Stoke (Hanley) and then Birmingham.
Pity no service from Stoke-on-Trent to East Midlands Airport or Liverpool (including the airport)

Last edited by a moderator:

MCR247

Established Member
Pity no service from Stoke-on-Trent to East Midlands Airport or Liverpool (including the airport)
With East Midlands being such a regional airport I’m not sure there’s much demand for coaches.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't even think National Express serve Liverpool or East Midlands airport.

Not any more. Pre-Covid there were half a dozen services a day from West Yorkshire on their way to Heathrow on the 240. There's only 2 a day from Bradford and Leeds now on the 240 which now goes via Nottingham and Leicester.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Flixbus' safety record is in the balance:

At least five people have died after a bus travelling from Berlin to Switzerland came off a major road in eastern Germany and ended up on its side.

The accident happened on the A9 highway near Leipzig this morning, leading to the road being closed in both directions.

Last edited by a moderator:

johncrossley

Established Member

Four people have been killed and more than 40 injured in a motorway crash involving a coach near the east German city of Leipzig, police say.

Is Flixbus actually a contributory factor in the accident, or could it have happened if the contractor was operating on behalf of another firm, or indeed as a private hire?

Stan Drews

Established Member
Is Flixbus actually a contributory factor in the accident, or could it have happened if the contractor was operating on behalf of another firm, or indeed as a private hire?
Other than it operating on a FlixBus service at the time, FlixBus isn’t really a contributing factor. It’s more likely that human error or a mechanical issue will have contributed, but you’d assume that will all be part of the investigation.

johncrossley

Established Member
I suppose *IF* it could be shown that Flixbus use cheaper contractors which may have poor maintenance and/or reckless drivers, then the involvement of Flixbus could be relevant, but that would be quite a stretch.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I suppose *IF* it could be shown that Flixbus use cheaper contractors which may have poor maintenance and/or reckless drivers, then the involvement of Flixbus could be relevant, but that would be quite a stretch.

Unless there's something underhand going on (and I've no reason to think there is), I think it would be expected that if Flixbus contracted someone, that someone would be expected to perform to the legal minimum standard.

Spsf3232

You need to remember Flixbus is a large company who operates all through Europe. When you have that large an operation your chances of a major accident go up.

RT4038

Established Member
You need to remember Flixbus is a large company who operates all through Europe. When you have that large an operation your chances of a major accident go up.
Well quite. The more mileage that is operated on your behalf, the more accidents there will be involving your brand. Unless it can be proved that the accident rate per mile of Flixbus is higher than that of a comparable (if there is such a comparator) brand, there is no cause to be singling out Flixbus. However, any accident is going to be damaging to the brand.

dmncf

In partnership with Newport Transport, Flixbus is set to trial the first electric long-distance coach service in England and Wales.

Starting on 21 March, it'll run for about three months between Newport, Bristol and London with a Yutong TCe12.

I travelled on this to Newport and the driver mentioned that the coach then returns to Bristol to be charged - at Turners Coachways I think. Does anyone know more about this? I had assumed that the coach went to Newport Transport's depot to be charged, but is that not right?