• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

swifty

Established Member
Turners coachways of Bristol are opening a base near plymouth, strongly suspect it might be connected to Flixbus

Hmm it was supposed to open back in Jan/Feb, suspect it’ll be a mix of private hire and Flixbus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

padbus

There's plenty of nearside photos online that confirm they don't.

Indeed, I've now had a chance to research some nearside pictures. There is no sign of any wheel chair lifts nor destination displays. There could be some interesting court cases to come.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Indeed, I've now had a chance to research some nearside pictures. There is no sign of any wheel chair lifts nor destination displays. There could be some interesting court cases to come.

There is a display in the front, however as the place names are in full cap letters it also fails to meet PSVAR!

darloscott

The mind just boggles about how they think they are going to get away with this.
Not sure if they’ve been used recently though (certainly one has VOR in front!) as they’ve hired some Levantes from Holmeswood that have been working instead. They were using two grey Temsa Safari’s on Leeds yesterday that were both PSVAR compliant too.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not sure if they’ve been used recently though (certainly one has VOR in front!) as they’ve hired some Levantes from Holmeswood that have been working instead. They were using two grey Temsa Safari’s on Leeds yesterday that were both PSVAR compliant too.

Are they PSVAR compliant? I've seen a photo of one where there's a wheelchair sticker near the door implying it has a lift, however every single photo i can find of them they don't have lifts.

awsnews

Are they PSVAR compliant? I've seen a photo of one where there's a wheelchair sticker near the door implying it has a lift, however every single photo i can find of them they don't have lifts.

The door for the lift can be made out in this view
It is a bit more visible on the higher resolution versions but for some reason the icon doesn't always work on this tablet. Looking at older images there wasn't a lift so it appears to be a recent retrofit.

MotCO

Established Member
One could almost forgive a foreign company for not realising PSVAR applies to their services but surely the British-based coach operators providing the vehicles for them should be aware. (Not an excuse, but trying to understand the mentality.)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
It is a bit more visible on the higher resolution versions but for some reason the icon doesn't always work on this tablet. Looking at older images there wasn't a lift so it appears to be a recent retrofit.

Thanks, a retrofit which explains it. However it still lacks some of the credentials that make a vehicle PSVAR compliant.

darloscott

Looks like one is fitted in the front there. Although there's certainly no side/rear ones.
They could be behind the glass. Not 100% on the height from the floor rules but something is telling me 2.5m for the side which the bottom of the windows might just be within. You wouldn’t cut into the bodysides to retrofit a screen, certainly some I’ve seen have had them in the first window.

extendedpaul

Anyone actually travelled on a UK route with Flixbus yet ?

I've just booked a return from London to Bristol for £6.98 partly to try it out, but mainly because advance rail and other coach fares are currently pitched much higher than pre-COVID. Can use my Wales bus pass from there to complete my journey via Chepstow and Newport

Martin2012

I've just booked a return from London to Bristol for £6.98 partly to try it out, but mainly because advance rail and other coach fares are currently pitched much higher than pre-COVID. Can use my Wales bus pass from there to complete my journey via Chepstow and Newport
Yes I went on the very first journey on the 041 Bristol route. On the whole it was no different to an NX or Megabus journey although it was my first coach trip in the post Covid era so there were a few changes such as wearing a face mask, all the aisle seats being blocked off and being dropped off at the entrance to departures at Victoria Coach Station

Was a bit disappointed the vehicle ended up being an ex National Express levante but oh well.

There were about 3 other passengers on the journey to London (two of which were enthusiasts) and I was the sole passenger on the ride back to Bristol that evening.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yes I used the Leeds-London service yesterday.
6 people in total on the service.
Aisle seats were blocked off and hand sanitizer was available and encouraged to be used. However there was no facemask announcement, simply signs dotted around the coach. From what I saw, other passengers wore their masks throughout.

anthony263

Established Member
One could almost forgive a foreign company for not realising PSVAR applies to their services but surely the British-based coach operators providing the vehicles for them should be aware. (Not an excuse, but trying to understand the mentality.)

Considering who now owns Turners of Bristol I am surprised but not at the same time.

richw

Veteran Member
Considering who now owns Turners of Bristol I am surprised but not at the same time.
Turners are the sub contractor who’s 100% compliant using ex natex Levantes. It’s the other sub contractor who’s not using psvar vehicles

padbus

I'm sorry but, even after viewing the image on a widescreen PC monitor, I can't see the wheelchair door.

MotCO

Established Member
I'm sorry but, even after viewing the image on a widescreen PC monitor, I can't see the wheelchair door.

Even I have been able to find it! The door is half in the window area, and half a bit below the windows.

anthony263

Established Member
Turners are the sub contractor who’s 100% compliant using ex natex Levantes. It’s the other sub contractor who’s not using psvar vehicles

Good thats why I was surprised for a moment as I kniw Mr Jones from when he ran Thomas of Barry and new adventure travel before he sold it

Boo_

On Moderation
Been looking at gov.uk Check vehicle operator decisions and applications

So looks like they withdrawn getting a operator licence But there a issue with the site as you can`t click on more info.

PF2026148
FLIXBUS UK LTD.
Public Inquiry (81578) to be held at The Court Room (Cambridge), CB2 8BF, Eastern Traffic Area, Eastbrook, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge, on 30 July 2020 commencing at 14:00 (Previous Publication 2419)) Previous hearing on 07 April 2020 was adjourned. PF2026148 FLIXBUS UK LTD. Director(s): MAX SEBASTIAN ZEUMER FIRST FLOOR, TEMPLE BACK, 10 TEMPLE BACK, BRISTOL, BS1 6FL
S14 - Consideration of new application under Section 14 (The Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981)

Publication: N&P East of England(2438), Notice of PI to be held
Date: 29 Jul 2020

PF2026148
FLIXBUS UK LTD.
PF2026148 SI
FLIXBUS UK LTD. Director(s): MAX SEBASTIAN ZEUMER

Publication: N&P East of England(2440), Application Withdrawn
Date: 12 Aug 2020

MotCO

Established Member
Been looking at gov.uk Check vehicle operator decisions and applications

So looks like they withdrawn getting a operator licence But there a issue with the site as you can`t click on more info.

PF2026148
FLIXBUS UK LTD.
Public Inquiry (81578) to be held at The Court Room (Cambridge), CB2 8BF, Eastern Traffic Area, Eastbrook, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge, on 30 July 2020 commencing at 14:00 (Previous Publication 2419)) Previous hearing on 07 April 2020 was adjourned. PF2026148 FLIXBUS UK LTD. Director(s): MAX SEBASTIAN ZEUMER FIRST FLOOR, TEMPLE BACK, 10 TEMPLE BACK, BRISTOL, BS1 6FL
S14 - Consideration of new application under Section 14 (The Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981)

Publication: N&P East of England(2438), Notice of PI to be held
Date: 29 Jul 2020

PF2026148
FLIXBUS UK LTD.
PF2026148 SI
FLIXBUS UK LTD. Director(s): MAX SEBASTIAN ZEUMER

Publication: N&P East of England(2440), Application Withdrawn
Date: 12 Aug 2020
What is the impact of this? I thought Flixbus operated like Nat Ex by contracting out the operation of the coaches to other companies. Does Flixbus need an Operator's Licence to be able to do this?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What is the impact of this? I thought Flixbus operated like Nat Ex by contracting out the operation of the coaches to other companies. Does Flixbus need an Operator's Licence to be able to do this?

Apparently it does - Megabus and NatEx have/had one, with one vehicle each[1], as a result.

[1] They may now have more, NatEx certainly does, but that was the principle.

Boo_

On Moderation
They may not need a Operator's Licence as they don`t sell tickets on the services or get funding for them.
So they are acting as just a ticket agent.

Megabus don`t have a Operator's Licence in Megabus name.
But they trade under Midland Red South along with Stagecoach Rail Replacement.
If they need to hire in coaches and drivers they can use that Licence. but as Megabus dont own any coaches or Depot`s

Stagecoach Rail Replacement may of changed since I last worked as they have moved it to Stagecoach Travel Solutions