• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
I don't think they did. That was always South Gloucestershire until Stagecoach took them over.
There was one route down the south west which Turners did to Bristol.

Turners website says
Turners support MegaBus by providing coaches via the Bristol to London corridor, duplication routes for additional bookings and breakdown cover.

swifty

Established Member
There was one route down the south west which Turners did to Bristol.

Turners website says

The South West Megabusplus feeder services into Honiton Station were operated by Hamilton (Mid Devon Coaches) with the ex Oxford Panthers in Megabus livery weren’t they?

They then took on the South West routes (and M18 runs to/from Bath - London) before they went in house, see here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hamilton-gray-megabus-services.118629/

Apart from duplicates and extras I don’t think Turners (of Bristol) ever did full time Megabus work.

Last edited by a moderator:

darloscott

The South West Megabusplus feeder services into Honiton Station were operated by Hamilton (Mid Devon Coaches) with the ex Oxford Panthers in Megabus livery weren’t they?

They then took on the South West routes (and M18 runs to/from Bath - London) before they went in house, see here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hamilton-gray-megabus-services.118629/

Apart from dupes and extras I don’t think Turners (of Bristol) ever did full time Megabus work.
I’m fairly certain Turners had some of their own work, probably weekend extras like a few other companies - Compass Royston from my area for example.

Mwanesh

Turners used to do weekend duplicates for Megabus.Some of the buses where even used by Cwmbran as loan vehicles.

Martin2012

Turners had a weekend extra working on the Bristol to London route for several years. Think it was something like 1400 off of Bristol and 1830 return from London on Friday and Sunday. As mentioned above they also did duplicates and breakdown cover as well as loaning vehicles to other depots.

darloscott

I can't see any extras for Bristol?

Northampton stop seems to not be bookable.

Leicester has an extra departure. Only serving Fosse Park though.

Liverpool - London via Chester I am excited for. Shame about no ticket sales Chester - Liverpool. The times aren't very good for people from Chester going to London.

I'm interested to see how big Flixbus gets using these existing operators. A lot of hotels will be needed with these operators. If they opted for some operators closer to the route extremities, they could have buses run 'home' each night. Hopefully they get an operator up North soon.
Just done my latest timetable (v6) and there is a few extra trips into Bristol each week, out of Bristol the 0600 runs additionally on Friday, 1000 on Sat, 1400 on Fri/Sun, 1800 on Sat and the returns from London are 1000 additionally Friday, 1400 Sat, 1800 Fri/Sun, 2200 Sat.
There's also an additional 1100 Leeds-London Fri/Sun and 1730 return plus the new 0700 London-York and 1510 York-London which calls Leeds, Meadowhall and Fosse Park (forming the extra Fosse Park departure) on Fri/Sat/Sun.
The 0900 London-Manchester and 1530 return call at Stoke instead of Birmingham. These calls are picked up by the new Liverpool services which run via Warrington or Chester too. The short London-Birmingham trips are removed as a result.
Latest timetable attached below...

Attachments

• flixbusuk_2021_v6.pdf
    615.4 KB · Views: 126

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Just done my latest timetable (v6) and there is a few extra trips into Bristol each week, out of Bristol the 0600 runs additionally on Friday, 1000 on Sat, 1400 on Fri/Sun, 1800 on Sat and the returns from London are 1000 additionally Friday, 1400 Sat, 1800 Fri/Sun, 2200 Sat.
There's also an additional 1100 Leeds-London Fri/Sun and 1730 return plus the new 0700 London-York and 1510 York-London which calls Leeds, Meadowhall and Fosse Park (forming the extra Fosse Park departure) on Fri/Sat/Sun.
The 0900 London-Manchester and 1530 return call at Stoke instead of Birmingham. These calls are picked up by the new Liverpool services which run via Warrington or Chester too. The short London-Birmingham trips are removed as a result.
Latest timetable attached below...
Thanks for taking the time to create these, Scott - they are a very useful resource.

Bwsbro

Thanks for the new updated timetables, I must say I’ve had the pleasure of using Flixbus a couple of times this week due to the train troubles

Loadings we’re approximately 1/3 of what National Express were carrying. However it was good to hear positive comments from some passengers on the real prices of journeys (not 99p) - All the journeys I took this week we’re cheaper than the Nat ex fares and we’re more convenient in regards to some stop locations

Great bunch of drivers aswell with a high level of customer service - a real credit to their operating companies

Class 33

Established Member
I did a journey to London on Saturday on the 0600 from Bristol. Got on and was surprised to find there were already people on there. Where does this service originate from?

johncrossley

Established Member
I've just been on a trip to Manchester and back. They were late because of having to refuelling at service stations. Why don't they refuel at the depot or at least when not in service? Surely the motorway service stations are very expensive anyway.

The new Van Hools also don't offer adjustable width seating like most of the ones running in mainland Europe. That means they will be uncomfortable once social distancing ends.

Bwsbro

I've just been on a trip to Manchester and back. There were late because of having to refuelling at service stations. Why don't they refuel at the depot or at least when not in service? Surely the motorway service stations are very expensive anyway.

The new Van Hools also don't offer adjustable width seating like most of the ones running in mainland Europe. That means they will be uncomfortable once social distancing ends.
It’s not unusual for coaches to refuel at service stations en route. I've experienced it many times whilst traveling with on Megabus and one unfortunate occasion, a coach broke down at the pumps.

Most coach operators/drivers would have fuel cards which charge them a set price for fuel regardless of outlet. Unless they were paying cash they wouldn’t have been paying the retail outlet

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It’s not unusual for coaches to refuel at service stations en route. I've experienced it many times whilst traveling with on Megabus and one unfortunate occasion, a coach broke down at the pumps.

Most coach operators/drivers would have fuel cards which charge them a set price for fuel regardless of outlet. Unless they were paying cash they wouldn’t have been paying the retail outlet

I don't see any great issue with it, to be honest. But it should be timetabled for and isn't a valid excuse for delay.

johncrossley

Established Member
I've travelled extensively on NX and Megabus over the last 35 years or so and can't remember having to stop for fuel. I've now stopped for fuel twice in two days on Flixbus. A few years ago on either a Cologne to London or Amsterdam to London Flixbus we stopped for fuel near Calais but there was plenty of time allowed before the Channel crossing.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'd rather the thread didn't become a list of examples of when any old coach stopped to refuel. Please stay on topic!

extendedpaul

Six Flixbus journeys for me so far all between London and Cardiff. Every driver friendly, every arrival early, every coach spotlessly clean. Still fewer than 10 passengers though.

Slightly scary moment tonight when driver pulled up on inside lane of M4 in roadworks area and dashed to use the toilet. Back on the move in about a minute.

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
Six Flixbus journeys for me so far all between London and Cardiff. Every driver friendly, every arrival early, every coach spotlessly clean. Still fewer than 10 passengers though.

Slightly scary moment tonight when driver pulled up on inside lane of M4 in roadworks area and dashed to use the toilet. Back on the move in about a minute.
So no problems other than breaking the law and endangering the passengers then!

M803UYA

From Route One:

Building ‘the UK’s largest coach network’: FlixBus to double UK routes​

By routeone Team- May 18, 2021

One month after its relaunch on British roads on April 15, FlixBus has committed itself to further UK expansion after it promised to double the number of domestic routes across the country from May 20.

It means 40 direct routes will now make up FlixBus’s domestic UK networks, compared to 18 in April.

Eight new destinations will mean 20 cities across England and Wales are served, with Liverpool, York, Nottingham, Northampton, Warrington, Stoke-on-Trent, Chester and Bridgend joining the list. Tickets start from 99p.

Consistent growth in demand has precipitated the expansion. FlixBus’s busiest corridor, the London-Bristol route, will soon have nine daily departures in each direction. FlixBus UK Managing Director Andreas Schörling says the growth is part of a wider plan to grow the UK’s largest coach network: “People are seizing the opportunity to move around the country again and there is a great demand for a new, value for money travel alternative in the UK,” he says.

“Since we have restarted our network, we have seen a strong growth every week in the number of passengers travelling with us. Our website data shows that interest towards our domestic routes is tripling as restrictions are being removed in May.

“FlixBus has built a smart system that quickly reacts to passenger needs. We will continue to grow our offer in the UK. Our plan is to build the country’s largest coach network by 2025.”

More journeys will become available as restrictions ease. Vehicles are currently operating at half capacity.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
From Route One:
Are they counting each trip as a "route".

It's an interesting expansion, and I look forward to using them, but I wouldn't describe that as 40 routes!

Planning to build the country's largest coach network by 2025 is certainly ambitious!

markymark2000

On Moderation
Are they counting each trip as a "route".

It's an interesting expansion, and I look forward to using them, but I wouldn't describe that as 40 routes!

Planning to build the country's largest coach network by 2025 is certainly ambitious!
I'd like to know how they are counting as they have 8 route according to https://bustimes.org/operators/flixbus (020 not included since it was replaced by more through buses). I've counted through and it works out as upto 34 round trips per day so surely they aren't using that as their figure?

Every way which I try to make it work, I can't make it 40.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Apologies if this has been asked, are they using branded coaches or is it just whatever they have access to?

busesrusuk

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Thanks for the replies about the branding!
Had an interesting trip to London over the weekend (which is why I asked the question in the first place).
Outward coach was mainly all white with a small Flixbus green logo, and return was one of the fully green ones (which was also a lot nicer inside!).

Coach from Bristol to London was half hour late from Bristol and there were quite a few worried faces whilst we were waiting for it to turn up (presumably wondering the same as me if this coach from a relatively new company was going to turn up). Thankfully it did and we had about 30 people so it was fairly busy (that is a rough estimate based on the number before boarding so may be wrong but at the very least once onboard it looked like every pair of seats had at least one person if not two). The actual journey was a nightmare though, not Flixbuses fault (M4 around slough shut and bad London traffic) so we were about 75 minutes late in the end (so in realty about 45 mins lost on route considering the half hour late departure) - though I do wonder if we could have gone another way rather than through Slough town centre!

The return journey was a lot quieter (maybe 10 people) and we were ready to depart a good ten mins early and kept really good time (we were just ten mins late arriving into Bristol and that included a diversion up the M40 and then down the A404 to avoid the M4 closure mentioned above).

Ultimately I don't think they were any worse or better than Megabus, so based on that they will probably get my custom going forward if their prices remain cheaper!

Bwsbro

Thanks for the replies about the branding!
Had an interesting trip to London over the weekend (which is why I asked the question in the first place).
Outward coach was mainly all white with a small Flixbus green logo, and return was one of the fully green ones (which was also a lot nicer inside!).

Coach from Bristol to London was half hour late from Bristol and there were quite a few worried faces whilst we were waiting for it to turn up (presumably wondering the same as me if this coach from a relatively new company was going to turn up). Thankfully it did and we had about 30 people so it was fairly busy (that is a rough estimate based on the number before boarding so may be wrong but at the very least once onboard it looked like every pair of seats had at least one person if not two). The actual journey was a nightmare though, not Flixbuses fault (M4 around slough shut and bad London traffic) so we were about 75 minutes late in the end (so in realty about 45 mins lost on route considering the half hour late departure) - though I do wonder if we could have gone another way rather than through Slough town centre!

The return journey was a lot quieter (maybe 10 people) and we were ready to depart a good ten mins early and kept really good time (we were just ten mins late arriving into Bristol and that included a diversion up the M40 and then down the A404 to avoid the M4 closure mentioned above).

Ultimately I don't think they were any worse or better than Megabus, so based on that they will probably get my custom going forward if their prices remain cheaper!

Like yourself I traveled once again by Flixbus between Bristol and London, I do know that Turners still have a few coaches in White with Flixbus branding however Whippets on the route were operating all weekend with a fully branded Levante.

I must admit the drivers are fantastic on this route, and I’m sure enjoying the fact they are back on the open road. On my journey on Saturday the driver on departing Bristol informed us that there would be a diversion at Slough and have an updated travel time upon departure