• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

Robertj21a

On Moderation
They're the last one however - the remaining Stagecoach NX contracts have vanished by the wayside as they were re-tendered.

Back on topic, it surprises me that Manchester hasn't been put into this first batch - Manchester-Birmingham-London would seem a sensible routing, using a local coach firm in the North West to start the southbound trips.

However, I suggest both NX & Megabus will complain if, as suggested, the Flix coaches used on scheduled coach services don't meet PSVAR.

How can they run a UK scheduled service with a non- PSVAR vehicle ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tramboy

How can they run a UK scheduled service with a non- PSVAR vehicle ?

Precisely - see post 48 in this thread. That image, if correct, doesn't appear to be a PSVAR compliant vehicle in Flix livery. Let's see what appears as their regular vehicles from contractors after tomorrow.

Mwanesh

Manchester is hard to do from both ends. It has to be double manned. London United and Go Ahead London do some of the weekend Manchester runs.

cnjb8

Established Member
They're the last one however - the remaining Stagecoach NX contracts have vanished by the wayside as they were re-tendered.

Back on topic, it surprises me that Manchester hasn't been put into this first batch - Manchester-Birmingham-London would seem a sensible routing, using a local coach firm in the North West to start the southbound trips.

However, I suggest both NX & Megabus will complain if, as suggested, the Flix coaches used on scheduled coach services don't meet PSVAR.
Yet, Stagecoach East Kent did run all the NX Dover services until NX took them in house with Kings Ferry due to Megabus expansion in the area.
Even stranger! Doesn't make sense

Man of Kent

Yet, Stagecoach East Kent did run all the NX Dover services until NX took them in house with Kings Ferry due to Megabus expansion in the area.
As far as I understand it, Stagecoach East Kent lost the routes on normal retendering. There was a 23 month gap between Kings Ferry taking over and Stagecoach running their own (not actually Megabus) express service.

winston270twm

Established Member
Whilst they have one director in common, the Flixbus services are actually being operated by ‘Your Partner In Journey Ltd’, rather than BM Coaches. YPIJ are a separate company in their own right, with their own Operating Licence.

That said, YPIJ do also operate scheduled cross-channel London to Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam services for French-based BlaBlaBus (formerly SNCF-owned Ouibus), who compete with Flixbus on the continent.

YPIJ was what became of NX UK element of Ouibus routes after quitting Eurolines consortium

winston270twm

Established Member
As far as I understand it, Stagecoach East Kent lost the routes on normal retendering. There was a 23 month gap between Kings Ferry taking over and Stagecoach running their own (not actually Megabus) express service.

Amazing how Kings Ferry started bidding for NX work in Dover, where they didn't have an existing depot though.

Bwsbro

Amazing how Kings Ferry started bidding for NX work in Dover, where they didn't have an existing depot though.

I dont understand your argument there. Any NX approved operator could bid for them journeys. EYMS operate some journeys to Portsmouth.

Edwards bidded for the SGBC contracts and had to launch a large base in Bristol.

secondly they also acquired drivers based in London to operate the 201 through to Brighton

Yourbus opened a depot in bradford for operation of National Express Contracts.

even small operators have introduced services. Llew Jones operate two round trips to London from Liverpool on the weekend. (65 miles away)

Also could it have been the first in a new change of direction for NX in self operating routes. Since then they purchaed woods in Leicester and took over the 349 Nottingham Stanstead & 350 Liverpool Stanstead service. Dont forget NX West Midlands have been operating a number of services since Whittle withdrawn in 2014/2015 (409 London - Aberystwyth, 570 London - Whithaven)

Plus their purchase of Lucketts a major NX operator on the South Coast and operator of the 025 Brighton & A3 Gatwick service

tramboy

It would appear that the departures this morning are being operated by Levantes, all former Nat Ex vehicles, meeting PSVAR.

Not sure where the fully liveried Van Hool in post 48 comes into the equation therefore.

padbus

I assume the Brussels/Paris routes can be operated as none PSVAR so it could the the UK vehicle for these?
This raises a slightly off topic query about Megabus's use of left hand drive coaches on UK routes. The Van Hool Altano and Plaxton Elite-i coaches have centre mounted doors on the driver's side which are used for boarding those passengers capable of climbing the steep steps into the coaches. However, it is difficult to see how a wheelchair user could gain access to the wheelchair space alongside the driver.

darloscott

From what has been posted on the Flixbus group on Facebook the 041 Bristol service is operated by Turners with Levante BK14LFE and 064 Portsmouth is Levante BK15AKG though not sure who that is with now. Both plain white with a Flixbus sticker. Not seen any mention of the Birmingham service yet.

darloscott

Your Partner In Journey (YPIJ), a company associated with - but technically separate from - West London-based BM Coaches.
I did wonder if it was theirs... Birmingham route numbered 020 is VanHool EX YJ19BDE from YPIJ in Flixbus green livery today.
Tomorrow will be interesting as there is 6 coaches out on a Friday compared to just 4 today.

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I did wonder if it was theirs... Birmingham route numbered 020 is VanHool EX YJ19BDE from YPIJ in Flixbus green livery today.
Tomorrow will be interesting as there is 6 coaches out on a Friday compared to just 4 today.
YJ19 BBU, another Van Hool EX, has also been spotted in FlixBus green, so expect that may also be out. Be interesting to know if they've had lifts fitted! There are a couple of photos, and a comparison with National Express' timetable on the Portsmouth route, on this blog: https://handsbusblog.wordpress.com/2020/07/02/flixbus-first-day/

winston270twm

Established Member
I dont understand your argument there. Any NX approved operator could bid for them journeys. EYMS operate some journeys to Portsmouth.

Edwards bidded for the SGBC contracts and had to launch a large base in Bristol.

secondly they also acquired drivers based in London to operate the 201 through to Brighton

Yourbus opened a depot in bradford for operation of National Express Contracts.

even small operators have introduced services. Llew Jones operate two round trips to London from Liverpool on the weekend. (65 miles away)

Also could it have been the first in a new change of direction for NX in self operating routes. Since then they purchaed woods in Leicester and took over the 349 Nottingham Stanstead & 350 Liverpool Stanstead service. Dont forget NX West Midlands have been operating a number of services since Whittle withdrawn in 2014/2015 (409 London - Aberystwyth, 570 London - Whithaven)

Plus their purchase of Lucketts a major NX operator on the South Coast and operator of the 025 Brighton & A3 Gatwick service

Yes, any NX approved contractor could bid for those EK routes, but it turned out to be an NX subsidiary which took them over from Stagecoach in July 2017.

NXWM took on the former Whittle NX diagrams as no one else could within the timescale of Whittle's closure IIRC & they haven't really expanded the fleet much since.

Woods taking over the 349/350 is only a very recent thing. Stewarts are yet to enter NX coach work & Clarke's only get involved in dupes.

Why bother buying Lucketts with a fleet of 160 coaches if the intention was to take NX routes back in-house? Just take them in-house when they're up for re-tender. The 025 & A3 are what were formerly operated by NX Ops from Crawley before that depot closed (originally came with Speedlink Airport Services).

duncombec

KF had been covering duplicates and spares on NatEx work between commuter runs for some time before they took over the whole contract. There was at one point a scheduled NatEx working operating by KF vehicles, in much the same way some other routes are mixed operator allocation. Added to that, the Kings Ferry depot is a short drive from Hempstead Valley, which is where crew-changeovers used to take place.

There was no domestic megabus activity at all whilst Stagecoach had the NatEx contract on Kent... the closest we would have got was the continental services which passed straight through.

winston270twm

Established Member
Your Partner In Journey (YPIJ), a company associated with - but technically separate from - West London-based BM Coaches.

BK15AKG has paper BM Coaches legals:

winston270twm

Established Member
Clarkes had some regular NX trips of their own until Covid. They don't just do dupes.

Clarkes had some regular NX trips of their own until Covid. They don't just do dupes.

They may do, but they don't have any NX liveried coaches either.

Clarkes had been providing cover for another operator Chalfont iirc on London - Birmingham, I think Clarkes may have only had weekend 561's etc.

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
BK15AKG has paper BM Coaches legals:
That’s interesting, as the press releases all state Turners and YPIJ. I wonder if there is some temporary arrangement whereby YPIJ are subcontracting some of the work to BM Coaches should they be awaiting a vehicle authorisation increase (bearing in mind the short notice commencement of services and fact they’re also operating the Brum route) or acquisition of their own vehicles (hence its paper in window legals), or suchlike? Not impossible given the two operators have a Director in common, but I guess it could also be the case plans have changed and the Pompey route will now be run by BM Coaches rather than YPIJ.

darloscott

That’s interesting, as the press releases all state Turners and YPIJ. I wonder if there is some temporary arrangement whereby YPIJ are subcontracting some of the work to BM Coaches should they be awaiting a vehicle authorisation increase (bearing in mind the short notice commencement of services and fact they’re also operating the Brum route) or acquisition of their own vehicles (hence its paper in window legals), or suchlike? Not impossible given the two operators have a Director in common, but I guess it could also be the case plans have changed and the Pompey route will now be run by BM Coaches rather than YPIJ.
One of the branded VanHools on 020 Birmingham was also wearing BM Coaches legal address

winston270twm

Established Member

Originally when Kings Ferry & NX ceased with the Ouibus routes in Partnership with SNCF, those routes became YPIJ / Ouibus branded with coaches provided by BM coaches instead of Kings Ferry.

YJ19BBO:

YJ19BBA:

There seems to be at least 3 x BM coaches Yan Hool's in Flixbus livery, the UK version of the livery seems bland, the orange elements has been dropped unless they're unfinished?

BM Coaches YJ19BDE in Flixbus livery:

BM Coaches YJ19BBU in Flixbus livery:

BM Coaches YJ19BBA in Flixbus livery:

Coaches seem to carry BM legals as opposed to YPIJ

MotCO

Established Member
Originally when Kings Ferry & NX ceased with the Ouibus routes in Partnership with SNCF, those routes became YPIJ / Ouibus branded with coaches provided by BM coaches instead of Kings Ferry.

YJ19BBO:

YJ19BBA:

There seems to be at least 3 x BM coaches Yan Hool's in Flixbus livery, the UK version of the livery seems bland, the orange elements has been dropped unless they're unfinished?

BM Coaches YJ19BDE in Flixbus livery:

BM Coaches YJ19BBU in Flixbus livery:

BM Coaches YJ19BBA in Flixbus livery:

Coaches seem to carry BM legals as opposed to YPIJ

No obvious wheelchair lifts or disabled persons accessibility.

darloscott

Some changes to the network from tomorrow.
063 London to Portsmouth is cancelled
041 London to Bristol has extra journeys on a weekend
020 London to Birmingham renumbered 023 & extended to Manchester with a revised timetable

Revised V2 schedule attached.

Attachments

• flixbusuk_2020_v2.pdf
    531.1 KB · Views: 100

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I assume they've found some loophole that's allowing them to run non-psvar compliant coaches. I know this has been raised before but it is quite surprising, especially given all the fuss over non-psvar coaches on rail replacement and schools.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Some changes to the network from tomorrow.
063 London to Portsmouth is cancelled
041 London to Bristol has extra journeys on a weekend
020 London to Birmingham renumbered 023 & extended to Manchester with a revised timetable

I thought they were nuts not going to Manchester, that being by far the UK's largest InterCity flow.

richw

Veteran Member
I assume they've found some loophole that's allowing them to run non-psvar compliant coaches. I know this has been raised before but it is quite surprising, especially given all the fuss over non-psvar coaches on rail replacement and schools.
The only loop hole is if the service is advertised through to Europe which it isn’t.
I noticed on twitter, forum member @kingqueen had difficulties with a non compliant vehicle this morning