• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flixbus Discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
Is the service not using the M1?
I'd assume so. Serving Meadowhall is 10? minutes delay, Derby would be 40?, Nottingham another 40?. East midlands parkway might be viable for a 10-15? minutes delay. Question marks because I'm not local so somebody is bound to point out that I need to add/subtract 5 minutes somewhere however the overall point would be the same.

anthony263

Established Member
Snap make sure that contractors provide accessible vehicles now. Usually vehicles are provided by Adventure Travel Mainline or Watts coaches

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Or provide a free taxi?

No, that also isn't good enough. All vehicles used on timetabled public transport bus or coach services (presently except rail replacement, but only temporarily) must be capable of carrying at least one wheelchair with that wheelchair loaded without the user having to leave it. It is an offence to use a vehicle which is not so accessible.

There is a classic exemption but other than that nothing I know of.

carlberry

Established Member
Or provide a free taxi?
It gets rid of the actual issue (for the person trying to use it) but not the offence.

It's a bit like sending out a vehicle without an MOT on the assumption that if somebody checks it you can replace it at the time with a vehicle that actually has an MOT and the authorities will forget about the issue.

cnjb8

Established Member
I'd assume so. Serving Meadowhall is 10? minutes delay, Derby would be 40?, Nottingham another 40?. East midlands parkway might be viable for a 10-15? minutes delay. Question marks because I'm not local so somebody is bound to point out that I need to add/subtract 5 minutes somewhere however the overall point would be the same.
Sounds right.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Just Meadowhall? Why not Nottingham or Derby as well?

I've not seen any coach company serving either Derby or Nottingham on services between Leeds and London except on overnight coach services where journey times are less important (and traffic levels are lower). Derby is served by some National Express services between Manchester and London.

Man of Kent

All vehicles used on timetabled public transport bus or coach services (presently except rail replacement, but only temporarily) must be capable of carrying at least one wheelchair with that wheelchair loaded without the user having to leave it.
In fact, it only applies to vehicles with "a capacity exceeding 22 passengers" which appears to include standing capacity on a bus. A typical 17 seats and 5 standing Mercedes Sprinter or similar, would not be covered.
Snap make sure that contractors provide accessible vehicles wherever possible.
I don't know why these companies think it's optional. It's not!
I'd say Snap is in a grey area, because it is not timetabled as such, but rather runs on demand. My understanding of their business model is that by and large, journeys only operate when there are sufficient passengers commited to travel. I don't think it is an intentional way of avoiding PSVAR, rather it's a category that didn't exist when the regulations were drawn up two decades ago.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I've not seen any coach company serving either Derby or Nottingham on services between Leeds and London except on overnight coach services where journey times are less important (and traffic levels are lower). Derby is served by some National Express services between Manchester and London.

I think, but may be wrong, that Megabus used to have a service that ran London to Leeds via Nottingham.

darloscott

No, that also isn't good enough. All vehicles used on timetabled public transport bus or coach services (presently except rail replacement, but only temporarily) must be capable of carrying at least one wheelchair with that wheelchair loaded without the user having to leave it. It is an offence to use a vehicle which is not so accessible.

There is a classic exemption but other than that nothing I know of.
School services are also exempt but obv doesn't apply here.

Mwanesh

The 465 does London, Nottingham, Mansfield, Chesterfield , Sheffield all the way to Huddersfield.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I think, but may be wrong, that Megabus used to have a service that ran London to Leeds via Nottingham.

I stand corrected - but it's a service that only does it when traffic levels are very low. There's no return journey, so clear they're providing services from Leeds and Nottingham and the service between them is almost incidental.

Boo_

On Moderation
Well today the first Leeds to London was a non PSVAR and this photo have been taken from FB Flixbus UK Coach enthusiast so there no sign of them giving up on using non PSVAR coaches

Attachments

• 117331932_3519623648047625_368936953267548510_n.jpg
    117331932_3519623648047625_368936953267548510_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 101

padbus

Well today the first Leeds to London was a non PSVAR and this photo have been taken from FB Flixbus UK Coach enthusiast so there no sign of them giving up on using non PSVAR coaches
We would need to see the nearside of those new Van Hools to see if they have wheelchair lifts.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
A post on Friends of the PSV Circle on Facebook has a photo of one of the services being operated by a Temsa which is appears to be PSVAR compliant at least.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Have there been no posts on there pointing out that they are acting illegally ?

richw

Veteran Member
A post on Friends of the PSV Circle on Facebook has a photo of one of the services being operated by a Temsa which is appears to be PSVAR compliant at least.
Wheelchair accessible but not compliant. It’s missing various other requirements of psvar

richw

Veteran Member
Turners coachways of Bristol are opening a base near plymouth, strongly suspect it might be connected to Flixbus