• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding and Weather Disruption (Nov 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Planner

Veteran Member
As the title says, all gone a bit Pete Tong, apparently platform 12 at New St is a bit moist too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
It looks like I got through there just in time this morning then. I didn't notice any trouble between Birmingham and Coventry while on board the 08:10 New Street to Euston, but I hope that I can get back to Birmingham without mishap this evening!

It only takes a little bit of rain for Britian's transport network to go tits up: Reportedly the roads in the West Midlands were atrocious as well during the morning rush hour.

ushawk

Established Member
It only takes a little bit of rain for Britian's transport network to go tits up: Reportedly the roads in the West Midlands were atrocious as well during the morning rush hour.

A "little bit" is what we have had where i am now in Sussex.

I wouldnt describe what other parts of the country, mainly the West, has has - is a "little bit". Service disruption is as followed -

-Swindon/Bristol to Newport/Gloucester - Suspended
-Great Malvern to Hereford - Replaced by buses
-Bristol to Taunton/Westbury - 2 hour delays

Looks like the line as reopened at Coventry according to LM on Twitter.

philjo

Established Member
NRE currently also reporting:

No trains between Bristol Temple Meads and Gloucester.
2 hour delays between Bristol/Westbury & Exeter.
Also a landslip at Honiton.

Buses running between Great Malvern & Hereford.

sprinterguy

Established Member
A "little bit" is what we have had where i am now in Sussex.

I wouldnt describe what other parts of the country, mainly the West, has has - is a "little bit".
Well it didn't seem like anything more noteable than heavy drizzle in Birmingham this morning, unless it rained more heavily during the night. Even if it did, persistent rain for several hours is nothing out of the ordinary for November, and yet the roads and railways still can't cope.

ushawk

Established Member
Well it didn't seem like anything more noteable than heavy drizzle in Birmingham this morning, unless it rained more heavily during the night. Even if it did, persistent rain for several hours is nothing out of the ordinary for November, and yet the roads and railways still can't cope.

Might of been a heavy downpour, about 15 minutes of incredibly heavy rain would overflow anything. Think ive broke my luck now as its got very, very storm like where i am :(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now flooding at Barnt Green - the rail network in the Midlands/West is becoming very wet !!

sprinterguy

Established Member
According to National Rail Enquiries, trains are on the move again between Birmingham International and Coventry, with delays of thirty minutes.

SS4

Established Member
Not at all surprised considering the amount of rain we've had over the last couple of days. Glad I'm staying at home today :D

ushawk

Established Member
Service suspended between Carmarthen and Swansea due to flooding at Ferryside, buses are running. Wouldnt be surprised if it starts to hit the South/Central/East of England just at the start of the PM peak !!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Even if it did, persistent rain for several hours is nothing out of the ordinary for November, and yet the roads and railways still can't cope.

But persistent rain for several hours on the back of one of the wettest summers in a while is. Maybe it's not the same where you are but round my way we've not had much rain or a few weeks yet the ground is still sodden.

sprinterguy

Established Member
But persistent rain for several hours on the back of one of the wettest summers in a while is. Maybe it's not the same where you are but round my way we've not had much rain or a few weeks yet the ground is still sodden.
Bah, the summer was quite dry round here. ;) Or at least it was wherever I happened to be at any time - Maybe I was just lucky! The worst summer that I can recall in recent times was 2008, if I remember correctly, and this year didn't seem comparable to that. Other than those freak heavy rain storms we had towards the end of the summer, I would say that 2012 has been reasonably "average" in the weather department.

ushawk

Established Member
Service now suspended between Whitlocks End and Stratford-Upon-Avon - flooding at Wilnecote - FGW and London Midland are baring the brunt of this.

jimm

Established Member
Service now suspended between Whitlocks End and Stratford-Upon-Avon - flooding at Wilnecote - FGW and London Midland are baring the brunt of this.

That would be Wilmcote

ushawk

Established Member
Line at WilMcote (got it right this time !!) is now re-open, but the WCML is blocked between Rugby and Northampton. Also now problems on services via Yeovil Pen Mill and at Chesterfield.

In other news, the wind is getting up down in SE, might get a few trees down if it keeps up !!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Might of been a heavy downpour, about 15 minutes of incredibly heavy rain would overflow anything. Think ive broke my luck now as its got very, very storm like where i am :(
Now flooding at Barnt Green - the rail network in the Midlands/West is becoming very wet !!

Here in Exeter we've had very heavy rain most of yesterday and extremely heavy for long periods over night, finally stopped around 9am (but of course the river will take a few hours to rise as water comes down from the hills)

_64279821_64279820.jpg

That's a puddle (there are no streams or other watercourses on that bit of road)

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
So is it safe to say I won't be able to get from Cheltenham to Birmingham at 1512?

Geezertronic

Established Member
Just drove past Marston Green and saw a 390 sat in the platform (towards International). Just come off the M6 as well which is down to 1 lane between Jcn 7 & 8 because of a massive pothole in lane 2 - M5 is closed between Jcn 1 & 2 as well :(

sonic2009

Established Member

HSTEd

Veteran Member
We really are going to need dewatering boreholes all over infrastructure if we keep getting insane weather patterns like this.....

michael769

Established Member
We really are going to need dewatering boreholes all over infrastructure if we keep getting insane weather patterns like this.....

Boreholes will not work when the water table is at or above surface level as it is in much of the country at the moment.

Basic problem is that rainwater has nowhere to go at the moment.

MadCommuter

Basic problem is that rainwater has nowhere to go at the moment.

...and more expected tomorrow.
NRE: "The First Great Western Sleeper services tonight are cancelled. No replacement transport has been arranged."

Status
Not open for further replies.