• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flooding at Manor Park 25/07/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Having seen the that clip of the flooding at Pudding Mill Lane DLR station plus the streets of Walthamstow and Hackney, it is little surprise that the Liverpool Street services are severely disrupted.

Gathursty

Established Member
Crikey! So lucky I did the Lea Valley lines yesterday. Hope it gets cleared up quickly!

Tube driver

Just dodged this going home.

Rain was biblical and it was only a matter of time before it started to affect services. That area around Manor Park is notorious for flooding when we get downpours like we’ve seen earlier.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
How ironic, we drove home via A12/M25 early this evening - not a drop of rain! I did wonder why there was such a long tailback to get through the Dartford tunnel into Essex - now I know why...

Very sorry for all those directly affected

martin2345uk

Established Member
Do people think this is likely to still be stopping GEML services tomorrow morning..?

There is a 22:55 to Norwich which has just departed Liverpool Street. That would appear to be the first one since 16:18.

Will they have rail replacement buses from shenfield

I don't believe so as the roads were also suffering from flooding.

Jimini

Established Member
A bit further round the north circ here in South Woodford, if you fancied using the underpass earlier to get from one side of the central line tracks to the other, you'd be needing your goggles / snorkel etc.:

SWO.jpg

Established Member
I was in East London earlier and the rain in the Loughton area in particular was just something else. Went through a huge storm on the way up the Central line and Epping was bone dry. Loughton was a very different story and needless to say I took advantage of the bus validity of a travelcard to go and do the 'Spoons. Still got very wet though.

Headed back down to Stratford which was also very wet and boarded a pair of 720s to Liverpool Street at around 16:05. Driver announced en route that there was a 40mph ESR between Stratford and Liverpool Street due to the weather but there was no obvious flooding at that point.

dk1

Veteran Member
I finally managed to get through with ECS from Stratford to Norwich after 23:00 having sat at Stratford over 5 hours. Lots of S&T activity going on at Manor Park with 5mph through the affected area.

colchesterken

Got the hump, garden water buts empty no rain yesterday sat in the garden in the afternoon reading train mag, Grrrr

dk1

Veteran Member
Got the hump, garden water buts empty no rain yesterday sat in the garden in the afternoon reading train mag, Grrrr
Do you know what, I’ve got the hump too for the same darn reason. Emptied what was left in the butt into containers Saturday ready for it to fill up & came home to bugger all after being delayed 5h20 due to flooding & doing an almost 15 hour shift Grrrrr!!!

Class 170101

Established Member
Apparently the rain band was so narrow that 20 miles either side from its centre it was bone dry. Nothing where I live all day.

reddragon

Established Member
Having seen the that clip of the flooding at Pudding Mill Lane DLR station plus the streets of Walthamstow and Hackney, it is little surprise that the Liverpool Street services are severely disrupted.
Walthamstow not helped by NR severing loads of sewers & laying track drainage uphill when they electrified the Gospel Oak Line. A victim of their own actions!

colchesterken

Manor Park has been a problem for years. how about a drainage tank under the tracks and pump the water into Alders Brook.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Walthamstow not helped by NR severing loads of sewers & laying track drainage uphill when they electrified the Gospel Oak Line. A victim of their own actions!
Hmm... I do remember some pioneering 'anti-gravity' drainage back in BR's day on Merseyside, so it's not exactly a new issue.

Nevertheless, I'm a bit surprised that it has taken Walthamstow several years after the work to finally back up.

reddragon

Established Member
Hmm... I do remember some pioneering 'anti-gravity' drainage back in BR's day on Merseyside, so it's not exactly a new issue.

Nevertheless, I'm a bit surprised that it has taken Walthamstow several years after the work to finally back up.
it's not about backing up, its about an event big enough to expose the issues that exist. The top of the pipe is just below the bottom of the outlet so normally it can trickle away, but being shallow that very reduced capacity results in flooding and of course silting up!

Taunton

Established Member
Manor Park has been a problem for years. how about a drainage tank under the tracks and pump the water into Alders Brook.
One has to get the OK from the river authority before pumping into their network. While this sounds reasonable, to stop overloading their own systems, some can take the cheap/easy way out, by not allowing anything.

In dealing with the recurrent flooding in Sodbury Tunnel east of Bristol Parkway on the Badminton line, the river authority refused a whole range of suggestions, eventually saying that the railway should pipe/channel it to the Severn Estuary, which is about 10 miles away.

In passing I would note that at our own house at Canary Wharf, which itself was right in the middle of this Sunday afternoon tempest, in our back garden there was no flooding of the level lawn, it all soaked into the ground. But the progressive concreting over of ever increasing areas means an ever higher proportion of rainfall runs straight off. Meanwhile the gully emptying and periodic maintenance of road drainage seems to have taken ever more of a back seat - the sucker truck I recall regularly around of a generation ago seems to have gone. It's all very well to blame it on global warming, but the solutions (and causes) are often nearer at hand. Divisions of responsibility between local councils, Thames Water, and the Environment Agency, and their internal arguments and buck-passing between one another, doesn't help.

Last edited:

Sleepy

Established Member
Liverpool Street has had a dose of flooding today too - not sure if it affected whole station ?

Status
Not open for further replies.