• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Flying From Edinburgh Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You generally don’t need to remove shoes in the UK unless they have a heel or have a large sole, or some sort of metal like a toecap.

Yes, this. The US has the "shoe carnival" (as they liked to call it on Flyertalk) for everyone, the UK and EU don't unless there is something that draws attention to the shoe. Very rarely indeed have I had to remove mine, other than in about the month after the "shoe bomber" incident.

I disagree as I've found the complete opposite to happen at all airports both in Europe and in the UK who have a common policy that regardless of being shoes or boots that they MUST go though the x-ray machine.

This is not the EU or UK policy. Do you have particularly large or metal-containing shoes, perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
You generally don’t need to remove shoes in the UK unless they have a heel or have a large sole, or some sort of metal like a toecap.
I'm just saying that my experiences of flying within the last 4 years is they do more random checks and people DO get asked to remove footwear regardless.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just for the record no shoe removal required at EDI or LHR on my outward leg to Belfast.

From my experience at some Airports they ask every 5th punter or so as a random measure.

Journeyman

Established Member
Just for the record no shoe removal required at EDI or LHR on my outward leg to Belfast.

From my experience at some Airports they ask every 5th punter or so as a random measure.
It also very much depends on what shoes you're wearing. I was wearing walking boots last time I went through, and they had to come off. Anything that covers your ankle seems to need removing.

Butts

Veteran Member
It also very much depends on what shoes you're wearing. I was wearing walking boots last time I went through, and they had to come off. Anything that covers your ankle seems to need removing.

Probably to check if you are "tagged" :E

Sometimes if the beeper goes off and you have go through the body scanner your shoes also have to be removed.

Great news the BA Lounge at Belfast City has reopened under the Aspire Banner.

Here I am sitting in said lounge sipping Cognac at 6am on a Tuesday Morning - who says I'm an Alcoholic ? :E

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm just saying that my experiences of flying within the last 4 years is they do more random checks and people DO get asked to remove footwear regardless.
Where are you flying from? I’ve logged about 250 ex-UK flights in that time and have only ever been asked to take off my big Timberland boots on the few occasions I was wearing them. Plus maybe a couple of random checks.

nlogax

Established Member
Where are you flying from? I’ve logged about 250 ex-UK flights in that time and have only ever been asked to take off my big Timberland boots on the few occasions I was wearing them. Plus maybe a couple of random checks.

I'm also toting Timberlands when flying, they have needed to come off every time I've been through LHR, LCY and GLA.

Butts

Veteran Member
One tip for anyone travelling from Edinburgh Airport they are still giving away free copies of The Sun and The Times if you fancy a free read.

The Bins are right up the far end of the departures area - beyond the travellator.

Bizarrely they are also to be found in the Domestic Arrivals Baggage Hall.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can I remind posters that this thread is about flying from Edinburgh Airport.

If anyone wants to discuss anything else they are welcome to start a new thread.

XAM2175

Established Member
One tip for anyone travelling from Edinburgh Airport they are still giving away free copies of The Sun and The Times if you fancy a free read.

The Bins are right up the far end of the departures area - beyond the travellator.
Oh that's nice, they're saving people the trouble of putting the rags in the bin themselves.

Butts

Veteran Member
Oh that's nice, they're saving people the trouble of putting the rags in the bin themselves.

Ho Ho - very witty ?

Annoying thing is you never get the supplements !!

It's a free read but I'm surprised the WH Smith outlets at EDI don't object.

pitdiver

As per previous posts my wife and I flew from Edinburgh Airport. On our return we had decided to stay overnight at an airport hotel. We chose the Moxy. In a word too gimmicky, poor service, no proper check in ( check in is at the bar). Television didn't work, room was too warm and the food was outrageously expensive. Wished we'd stayed at the Hilton or even the Premier Inn, a couple of miles away.

Sorry to say we won't be staying in the " Poxy Moxy" as my wife called it, again

Forgot to mention we departed from Gate 9 but coming back it was a high numbered gate,. Fortunately we didn't have to walk far as it was a domestic flight we just exited the building at the nearest exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.