• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

flying scotsman, london to southampton 6th june

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VEP3417

yes did think that might be the case, wondered as it was going to romsey/sailsbury after what route it might take, forwards in the redbridge direction or backwards in the eastligh direction then turn off

Romsey

yes did think that might be the case, wondered as it was going to romsey/sailsbury after what route it might take, forwards in the redbridge direction or backwards in the eastligh direction then turn off
That will depend whether 60103 is turned via Laverstock Spur outside Salisbury.
If it isn't turned it will probably return tender first via Eastleigh to be facing correctly for the return to Paddington.
If it is turned it will run via Redbridge to face the correct way.

VEP3417

im sure i read somewhere online, but i cant find it now a section saying it would run tender first at one point

it also appears to be doing a mini tour on the same day which sounds lie it might be going in the redbridge direction?

As we depart Southampton, observant ones can catch a glimpse out to Southampton docks and the Solent. After leaving the suburbs, there is no rest for our locomotive which will be working hard as we are now rushing north, following the River Itchen to Eastleigh and beginning a steady 20 mile climb, up to the edge of the South Downs through the heart of Hampshire. We briefly cross into Wiltshire passing by the outskirts of Salisbury with a chance to catch a glimpse of Salisbury cathedral's iconic Spire as we pass by, before returning to Hampshire and retracing our steps to Southampton.

Spamcan81

im sure i read somewhere online, but i cant find it now a section saying it would run tender first at one point

it also appears to be doing a mini tour on the same day

As we depart Southampton, observant ones can catch a glimpse out to Southampton docks and the Solent. After leaving the suburbs, there is no rest for our locomotive which will be working hard as we are now rushing north, following the River Itchen to Eastleigh and beginning a steady 20 mile climb, up to the edge of the South Downs through the heart of Hampshire. We briefly cross into Wiltshire passing by the outskirts of Salisbury with a chance to catch a glimpse of Salisbury cathedral's iconic Spire as we pass by, before returning to Hampshire and retracing our steps to Southampton.

From information received, 60103 will run tender first Salisbury - Romsey - Eastleigh - Southampton.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

it also appears to be doing a mini tour on the same day which sounds lie it might be going in the redbridge direction?

That doesn’t make sense to me, they basically start off describing leaving Southampton via Redbridge, then they’re going via Eastleigh, the “steady 20 mile climb” would be the route through Winchester, then they go to Salisbury then back to Southampton.

zwk500

Veteran Member
From information received, 60103 will run tender first Salisbury - Romsey - Eastleigh - Southampton.
This is wrong. 60103 will be Chimney-first the entire time it's working the train. Also running at 45mph and running round at Southampton are things avoided at all costs, and easily done so in this part of the world.

(Edited to remove reference to route)

Last edited:

VEP3417

does seems bit complicated to understand ...or maybe they want it to be confusing to deter people going to see it :lol:

so basically, im either going to see it, or miss it as im having to guess a route it might take :lol:

zwk500

Veteran Member
does seems bit complicated to understand ...or maybe they want it to be confusing to deter people going to see it :lol:

so basically, im either going to see it, or miss it as im having to guess a route it might take :lol:
Check RTT on the morning of the tour. It is running the most direct route for each tour.

VEP3417

just seen railway herald lists the route as
  • Southampton Central - Eastleigh - Romsey - Salisbury
  • 60103 (Tender First)Salisbury - Romsey - Eastleigh - Southampton Central
so that clears that up

zwk500

Veteran Member
hmm interesting :s
I'm reluctant to state the exact route for the very reasons that it hasn't been published, but I can confirm the engine won't be running Tender-first and won't be running round at Southampton Central. There'll be a diesel on the back to assist with positioning/turning moves.

VEP3417

there is a facebook group and someone on there will be publishing the times at some point as i know some people are for and against releasing stuff but it just means i may or may not miss it as there seems to be no real accurate info at the moment

zwk500

Veteran Member
there is a facebook group and someone on there will be publishing the times at some point
The time will be published on RTT when the trains are published to TRUST no later than the night before it runs.
as i know some people are for and against releasing stuff but it just means i may or may not miss it as there seems to be no real accurate info at the moment
Scotsman has led to very real dangers on the railway before. It's a shame a small minority of idiots mean the BTP, NR and TOCs are forced to take actions that prevent others who would behave perfectly sensibly from enjoying their hobby, but the threat to life takes priority and quite rightly so.

JN114

Established Member
Scotsman has led to very real dangers on the railway before. It's a shame a small minority of idiots mean the BTP, NR and TOCs are forced to take actions that prevent others who would behave perfectly sensibly from enjoying their hobby, but the threat to life takes priority and quite rightly so.

All their grandparents who drove Scotsman would be very disappointed…

VEP3417

ive touched a hand rail on the cab before...going by that logic it mean "ive driven it" :lol:

is that particular train like some very old rare race cars in that only a few people are aloud to drive it? or does any driver get to drive it when it visits a heritage railway ect

UP13

ive touched a hand rail on the cab before...going by that logic it mean "ive driven it" :lol:

is that particular train like some very old rare race cars in that only a few people are aloud to drive it? or does any driver get to drive it when it visits a heritage railway ect

My impression is that with any visiting locomotive to a preserved railway that the volunteer drivers at the railway drive the locomotive but there may be a representative of the owner in the cab too.

On railtours, the TOC (usually West Coast Railways) provide the driver and fireman, there is also a traction inspector, somebody with route knowledge of needbe and a representative of the locomotive.

VEP3417

thanks for that, did wonder, whilst locos are probably all similar to drive all are also very different in their own way so must be tricky to hop onto a new loco and get the hang of it

thanks for that, did wonder, whilst locos are probably all similar to drive all are also very different in their own way so must be tricky to hop onto a new loco and get the hang of it

Indeed yes, whilst the principals are the same each has it's own characteristics [even within the same class]. For example on my Railway [as I'm as member] the NYMR they have "Lucie" a former Belgium vertical boilered shunter [an 0-4-0] and a class 9F 92134 [a 2-10-0] two totally different steam engines. As for Flying Scotsman, apparently every railway man in the land has driven her. You hear tales like.- "Oh Great Uncle Cedric drove her." Where was Great uncle Cedric based? Answer the Snowdon Mountain Railway! What's more he did at least 3 round trips up the Mountain with her........!And that's despite the Snowdon line being a narrow gauge rack and pinion line!o_O:so_O

Last edited:

VEP3417

interesting to know thanks for that

the timings now show up on RTT either with 1Z or 5Z codes, the 5z is for when it goes in and out of the southampton down siding wich it goes into at about 12.25 and dosnt appear to come out of till 2.10 then it goes and does a run to sailsbury and back

T-Karmel

Hey all! Just seen it passing through Hanwell from direction of Southall towards Greenford at exactly 1723. It was on steam and had only one carriage attached which says "60009 & 61994 Support Coach".

D6130

Established Member
Now shown on RTT: 1Z72, 09 48 London Paddington-Southampton Central, arr.12 15; 5Z72, 12 25 Southampton Down Loop, arr. 12 28; 5Z73, 14 07 Southampton Down Loop-Southampton Central, arr. 14 10; 1Z74, 14 20 Southampton Central-Salisbury, arr. 15 09; 1Z75, 15 20 Salisbury-Southampton Central, arr. 16 03 (timed at 45 mph for running tender-first); 5Z75, 16 18 Southampton Central-Southampton Down Loop, arr. 16 21; 5Z76, 18 15 Southampton Down Loop-Southampton Central, arr. 18 18; 1Z76, 18 30 Southampton Central-London Paddington, arr. 2048. No sign of the light engine and support coach turning moves Southampton-Romsey-Eastleigh-Southampton or vice-versa. Interestingly, the passenger runs are timed at 60 mph, even though 60103 is permitted to run at 75. Shame it doesn't have time to turn on the Laverstock triangle at Salisbury.

3973EXL

Established Member
1Z74, 14 20 Southampton Central-Salisbury, arr. 15 09; Shame it doesn't have time to turn on the Laverstock triangle at Salisbury.

Schedule for 1Z74 shows via Laverstock North Reverse.

D6130

Established Member
Schedule for 1Z74 shows via Laverstock North Reverse.
Yes, you're right....I hadn't spotted that - and looking at the detailed timings, I would assume that from Laverstock North Junction onwards, the train will have to run at considerably more than 45 mph....more like 60, or even 75.

David Goddard

Established Member
The only time the loco runs in reverse is on 1Z74 from Laverstoke North Junction at 1503 into Salisbury station platform 4 at 1509.

D6975

Established Member
Yes, 1Z75 has clearly been entered incorrectly as timed for 45mph, but the station - station passing interval times are the same as 1Z74, which is timed for 60mph.

It's shown through Maidenhead platform 4 (UR) on its down journey from Paddington. Any idea if that is genuine e.g. because of a clearance issue, or probably a mistake please?

Status
Not open for further replies.