• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cockneyviking

If I rightly recall, if they don't go ahead with replacing the 3G pitch with grass, Harrogate would then face instant demotion down to the National League North.
Starting the new season at Doncaster Rovers Keepmoat until the grass pitch has been laid, good luck to them for the forthcoming season

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Remember watching South Liverpool with my uncle at their ground next to Allerton station (now Liverpool South Parkway)read somewhere the club folded but it's now going again at a new ground.Had some good players who went on to bigger clubs ; Jimmy Case,John Gidman and John Aldridge are the ones I can remember.

South Liverpool giant killed Halifax Town 4-2 in an FA Cup first round replay in 1964. They are currently members of the West Cheshire League and were eight points clear at the top of its higher division when the season was abandoned. They were thus denied promotion to the NWCL. Their ground is the Jericho Lane Sports Hub.

Bradford drew 1-1 on all four visits to their old ground Holly Park, now Liverpool South Parkway, between 1970 and 1974. I saw all four. In the process, we scored our first goal in non-league football since leaving the Southern League in 1908.

Bradford and Oldham Athletic both applied for Southern League membership in 1907 having failed to be elected to FL D2 thanks in no small part to negative lobbying by our friends from Manningham. A day later, at the SL AGM, Bradford received 30 votes to Oldham's 2, thanks to the large amounts of compensation offered to southern clubs to travel to Yorkshire. Oldham had the last laugh however. They were given a place in FL D2 a couple of weeks later when Burslem Port Vale resigned due to financial difficulties.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If Droylsden (the Bloods) have folded, noting other clubs could well follow, it makes for some interesting lines of thought on those charged with compiling next seasons fixtures in the lower echelons of the non-league pyramid.
Hoping to go again in season 2021-22, but it may have to be at a lower level, such as in the North West Counties League.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I wonder what plans Frank Lampard will employ in the second-leg Champions League match to overcome the 3-0 first leg Chelsea deficit?
Whatever they were, unfortunately, they don't seem to have worked!

Another three goal defeat, and Chelsea bow out of the competition 7-1 on aggregate.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
That’s sad. Droylesden always seemed a nice club to go to when Halifax were down in the glue leagues. And I’m sure we won 6-0 there with male model / star of the Salford documentary Gareth Seddon scoring a hat trick.

Mind you, Dave Pace is an absolute bellend

Thank god for your final sentence.

I’m just surprised he has stayed there so long.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Sorry about the late reply, congratulations. I didn't think there was much in it to be honest, thought it was going to penalties until the howler. Horrible way to leave York Street but in all honesty were probably not ready to go up yet as only half the new ground will be ready etc. Sadly it seems like some of our better player are going. Hopefully see you in two years!

Well at HT I thought our run had ended but a solid second half brought it up to an even affair.

I’m not sure Alty are ready to go up but it’s a bit catch 22 when going up. Maybe civic could be a bit of a leveller to our advantage.

Six games in Oyster card, lets just hope I can fill my boots locally for a change.

99-00 iirc I manage 28 games from Wandsworth so the challenge is there

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Macclesfield had one deduction with another suspended that was then enacted. Not sure if they have a further amount hanging over them but it would seem so. Whilst Stevenage would not be missed by many; its a terrible day out. I have to say that Maccliesfield have been a liability with dubious financial dealing going back ten years. My totally unbiased...opinion is that they are an accident that's already happened.

I would also be very interested to see if the Conference accept them into to their set up. Could be triple drop to the Northern Premier League which is traditionally their level and would suit them far better.

After the successful EFL appeal, Macclesfield Town had the "pending" four-point sanction brought into immediate effect and as a result, they have now been relegated to the National League. Stevenage have retained their League 2 status.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
After the successful EFL appeal, Macclesfield Town had the "pending" four-point sanction brought into immediate effect and as a result, they have now been relegated to the National League. Stevenage have retained their League 2 status.

I poured a glass of Argentinian Malbec to celebrate. Here’s to the derby next year!

Although I have to say Stevenage deserved to go down too.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Seems like EFL officials have been making it up as they go along vis-a-vis who gets relegated from the Championship and League 2.

Who exactly are the EFL officials to took the various decisions to relegate Wigan, Charlton and Macclesfield and reprieve Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Stevenage? How many people were involved and what are their affiliations?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Seems like EFL officials have been making it up as they go along vis-a-vis who gets relegated from the Championship and League 2.

Who exactly are the EFL officials to took the various decisions to relegate Wigan, Charlton and Macclesfield and reprieve Sheffield Wednesday, Barnsley and Stevenage? How many people were involved and what are their affiliations?

I’m sure each case covered different misdemeanours and different levels of crimes so cannot be directly compared?

Stevenage were not reprieved as such just benefitted from Macc predicament so different to SWFC situation

scotrail158713

Established Member
FA Cup Replays and League Cup Semi Final's being 2 legged both scrapped for 2020/21. Fixtures release will be 9am on August 21st
Correct decision IMO. Ultimately it’s one of the easiest things to do to help this season, as the potential for fixture congestion is extremely likely - if the season is ever able to start.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Champions League....Quarter Final

Barcelona 2 ... Bayern Munich 8

Shades of a certain World Cup match between Brazil and Germany.

Seen that too. Bayern have always been capable of results like that and Barcelona are so much worse than they used to be

Karl

On Moderation
Simply unbelievable. I listened to the commentary on radio 5 Live. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Eight goals for Bayern? Unbelievable. What happened? Crazy!

Established Member
Champions League.....Quarter Final

Manchester City 1 ... Lyon 3

This result will now see no English clubs participating at the semi-final stage, unlike the previous season.

If it was any other manager, they would have been sacked for spending all that money and ending up with a charity shield and a league cup. Under Guardiola, they have gone out in the last sixteen to Monaco, and quarter finals to Liverpool, Spurs and now Lyon, who finished 7th in Ligue 1 this season, respectively. Lyon also got two good results against City in last season's Champions League group stages, so you'd have thought Guardiola would have learned from these.

The club will never win the Champions League while Guardiola is still the manager, as his record in the tournament since he won it with Barcelona in 2011 has been dreadful.

wireforever

Just a thought who will win the Champions League soonest City or Barcelona.Perhaps Pep will jump ship and be the next Barca manager stranger things have happened

Established Member
Just a thought who will win the Champions League soonest City or Barcelona.Perhaps Pep will jump ship and be the next Barca manager stranger things have happened

It's hard to say really, Barcelona's squad needs a complete rebuild and in my opinion City have very few leaders in the squad. Kompany and David Silva have left, and in my view the only others in the squad who look like leaders are Aguero and de Bruyne. All of those players were signed by other managers, I don't really see any of the players who Guardiola has signed being able to fill the void left by the likes of Kompany, Silva and Aguero (who is now in the final year of his deal).

If he stays at City or goes back to Barcelona, I think the task will be equally as difficult.

Darandio

Established Member
Really cannot see Pep going back to Barca, certainly not in their current state and in need of a major rebuild which will take a few years. He's very much opted to walk into what were effectively ready made jobs so far.

Established Member
Really cannot see Pep going back to Barca, certainly not in their current state and in need of a major rebuild which will take a few years. He's very much opted to walk into what were effectively ready made jobs so far.

I expect when he does move on, it'll be to either PSG or Juventus.

That's what makes Klopp the better manager, he builds teams that win titles. Guardiola only goes to ready-made teams which are already winning them.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Darlington, apparently, are considering a temporary move back to their old ground at the Darlington/Reynolds Arena if restrictions are imposed on how many fans can enter Blackwell Meadows.

I'd be interested to know what our resident Darlington fan DarloRich thinks about this.

I can't see Bradford asking to move to Odsal or Manningham as we struggle to fill 20% of the capacity of our ground for most matches.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Darlington, apparently, are considering a temporary move back to their old ground at the Darlington/Reynolds Arena if restrictions are imposed on how many fans can enter Blackwell Meadows.

I'd be interested to know what our resident Darlington fan DarloRich thinks about this.

I can't see Bradford asking to move to Odsal or Manningham as we struggle to fill 20% of the capacity of our ground for most matches.
You might get a competitive rate at Odsal right now, with the egg-chasers having upped sticks to Dewsbury... ;)

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’m not knowledgeable on the non-league game in England, but I’m guessing this will be a very welcome move for clubs. Hopefully a similar move will occur up here.
Non-league clubs at step three and below can admit fans to grounds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53817206
Fans will be allowed to attend football in the seventh tier and below, after the government updated its guidance on recreational team sport events.
Clubs in the leagues below National League North and South will be able to open their gates to spectators for the first time since the coronavirus pandemic began.
The decision means a distinction has been drawn between the return of fans to recreational sport and elite sport, where pilots are required before an intended expansion from 1 October.
It comes after more than 30 MPs wrote to sports minister Nigel Huddleston calling for the "urgent return of fans to non-league clubs".
The letter, which was coordinated by former sports minister Tracey Crouch and Dame Cheryl Gillan, warned that clubs "at the heart of our constituencies" could be "lost forever" if an exemption is not granted.
BBC Sport can reveal that the government's return to recreational team sport framework was updated on Tuesday afternoon to draw up protocols for allowing spectators in.
Fans will need to abide by social distancing rules, and spectator groups must be restricted to "discrete six-person gathering limits".
Meanwhile, organisers of events that are likely to attract a crowd will need to put forward a "named person or persons with responsibility for ensuring adherence with these guidelines and ensuring the facility is Covid-19 secure".
They would also need to publish a risk assessment limiting the number of spectators, and assist with the NHS Test and Trace scheme by collecting information from spectators.
The MPs who signed the letter had said that non-league clubs "tend to be supported by those within the town itself" and that average crowds are "in the hundreds".
BBC Sport understands that the Football Association defines elite football as being everything from the Premier League down to National League North and South, which explains why the new rules apply to step three and below.
A campaign using the slogan "#LetFansIn" has gained significant traction among non-league clubs in recent days, while two petitions supporting the cause have received more than 6,000 signatures.
Crouch posted on Twitter: "Football has many wonderful layers but non-league is often at its heart and soul. With fewer fans it's easier to make clubs Covid secure but without them coming back soon their future is shaky so we've written to Sports Minister calling for non-league clubs to #LetFansIn."
She later told the BBC that not allowing fans to attend non-league football "makes no sense".
An FA spokesperson said: "We continue to follow government advice with regards to the return of spectators and are working continuously with the Sports Ground Safety Authority, DCMS and Leagues to seek approval for a safe return as soon as feasibly possible."

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Well.

There appears to be a big National League sized hole in that.

Although looking on the bright side it’s the first time Halifax have been classified as “elite sport”

But joking aside it’s bloody daft. In the National League there’s no income from Sky (even in league two it’s over a million a year), but the clubs are generally full time so have lost their income whilst being hamstrung with costs. And the Shay has a capacity of over 11,000 and an average crowd of about 2,000 so ideal for socially distanced football watching. And wherever I sit I can always hear the moaning toaster who shouts “gerrit forrad!” every time there’s a sideways pass

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Good luck to Connah's Quay Nomads as they make their debut in the Champions League tonight. The Nomads face NK Sarajevo of Bosnia-Herzegovina at the Cardiff City Stadium, kick off 7 pm.

The Nomads finally broke TNS's stranglehold on the League of Wales last season. I remember watching the second half of what turned out to the decisive game against TNS on S4C last spring. The game was played in pouring rain and a howling gale and was very exciting as CQN held on to win 1-0.

Tonight's match is being streamed live and free of charge on CQN's YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/c/gapConnahsQuayNomadsFC