• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Ostrich

I’m not knowledgeable on the non-league game in England, but I’m guessing this will be a very welcome move for clubs. Hopefully a similar move will occur up here.
Non-league clubs at step three and below can admit fans to grounds

Ah but, the devil will be in the detail. We are awaiting a further FA pronouncement supposedly to be issued sometime today, and I won't be celebrating until I see what sort of bureaucracy that throws up ......

As an aside, of the 4 pre-season friendlies below Step 7 I've attended so far, two have had excellent Covid-prevention set-ups; the other two perhaps not quite so good. It's a learning curve for smaller clubs, after all. Last night, I was temperature-checked on arrival for the first time, but was a bit alarmed at the requirement to stand 5m behind the touchline, as that appeared to put me the wrong side of what seemed to be an electric fence and into a horse paddock! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Liverpool away first up for Leeds in the Premier League. A nice easy one to ease us in...

Probably better to get it out of the way to be honest. Much better than Liverpool away on the final day if a win was desperately needed.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Liverpool away first up for Leeds in the Premier League. A nice easy one to ease us in...

Probably better to get it out of the way to be honest. Much better than Liverpool away on the final day if a win was desperately needed.

Leeds play the Baggies at home last game of the season so that one could be good or bad depending on the form of the boing boings.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
NSÍ Runavík 5 Barry Town United 1

Surely one of the worst performances by a Welsh side in Europe for many a year?

I have seen sides from North Wales hold their own against some of Europe's strongest clubs over the years. I look forward to going to these matches each July but obviously couldn't this time around. Connah's Quay Nomads knocked out Kilmarnock last year and TNS were beaten but not battered against Liverpool and Manchester City a few years back. So for Barry to lose 5-1 against a team from the Faroe Islands is pretty poor. I'm struggling to find the highlights online, maybe there aren't any as I understand the game was played in fog?

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I cannot believe it looks like Messi might actually leave Barcelona. 2020 with yet another curveball.

I never thought it could actually happen.

Darandio

Established Member
I cannot believe it looks like Messi might actually leave Barcelona. 2020 with yet another curveball.

I never thought it could actually happen.

I still don't think it happens, the agreed clause to leave on a free expired in June and Barcelona are well within their rights to keep him there for another year. More likely is that President Bartomeu resigns and elections are held, then Messi stays.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Same. I never thought we’d see the day. BetFair have the odds at 6/4 on him joining Man City.

I would love to see Messi play in the Premier League, finally everyone that says hes only done it in one league will be proved wrong.

Also him eneding up at Juventus would be insane to see him and Ronaldo, the two greatest players of all time on the same team.

And obviously this wont happen, but imagine he goes to Real Madrid, it will be Luis Figo times 20.

gnolife

Established Member
NSÍ Runavík 5 Barry Town United 1

Surely one of the worst performances by a Welsh side in Europe for many a year?

I have seen sides from North Wales hold their own against some of Europe's strongest clubs over the years. I look forward to going to these matches each July but obviously couldn't this time around. Connah's Quay Nomads knocked out Kilmarnock last year and TNS were beaten but not battered against Liverpool and Manchester City a few years back. So for Barry to lose 5-1 against a team from the Faroe Islands is pretty poor. I'm struggling to find the highlights online, maybe there aren't any as I understand the game was played in fog?
I think it was Bala that got done 3-0 by a lot from San Marino a couple of years ago. That was an utterly abysmal show as well.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I still don't think it happens, the agreed clause to leave on a free expired in June and Barcelona are well within their rights to keep him there for another year. More likely is that President Bartomeu resigns and elections are held, then Messi stays.

True but I think you understimate how out of touch Bartomeu is and how he is determined to stay at Barcelona. The board have said they will take Messi to court and that doesn't sound like someone who has any intention of resigning, if anything he seems determined to stay.

wireforever

I think Messi needs a new challenge he should sign for newly promoted Barrow.If he is sorts out the paperwork quickly he could make his debut against Derby in the League Cup.Rooney superstar for Derby, Messi the Goat for Barrow

Howardh

Established Member
The new Bury, Bury AFC, playing a friendly at Daisy Hill right now, gate limited to a ridiculous 150 and Bury sold all their tickets within 10 minutes. Could have been 1000 there tonight, what a boost for a local club needing the gate money. I'm sure a thousand could safely be spread around an open-air ground.

4 - 0 to Bury...now 5 as I write!

wireforever

Yes perhaps his dad and legal team told Messi he was never going to leave without a costly legal battle which he may have lost anyway.I think it went downhill after Liverpool beat them at Anfield in the Champions League be interesting how long Koeman lasts as he was no great shakes at Everton

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The new Bury, Bury AFC, playing a friendly at Daisy Hill right now, gate limited to a ridiculous 150 and Bury sold all their tickets within 10 minutes. Could have been 1000 there tonight, what a boost for a local club needing the gate money. I'm sure a thousand could safely be spread around an open-air ground.

4 - 0 to Bury...now 5 as I write!
Is this team the official successor club to the one which was expelled from the football league, or a "Phoenix club" which is completely separate from the old one? I think I read somewhere that the expelled club had been taken under new ownership as a going concern, while at the same time a fan-owned phoenix club had been established.

Given the struggles (off the field) in the last few years, I could see there being further problems if the fanbase ends up split in two.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A match taking place tonight and on 8th October is Scotland v Israel, which should not be played at all due to the Israeli Government's disregard of human rights and not complying with international law.

I can remember back in the 1980s when various teams refused to play against South Africa during the apartheid regime.

If anybody is thinking about that ideally politics should be left out of sport, remember that UEFA, the UK Government, and one or two other Western European countries made that a political issue when they admitted the Israeli FA to participate in European tournaments after they got expelled from the Asia equivalent.