• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
And Messi stays at Barcelona, knew it was never going to happen.

Noting the current age of Messi, if one were to consider his likely playing time, it still would work out a costly annual amount for any new club when you divide the stated release fee by the number of likely years he can still play at the highest level......unless he is mindful to emulate the long playing career of Stanley Matthews.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this team the official successor club to the one which was expelled from the football league, or a "Phoenix club" which is completely separate from the old one? I think I read somewhere that the expelled club had been taken under new ownership as a going concern, while at the same time a fan-owned phoenix club had been established.

Given the struggles (off the field) in the last few years, I could see there being further problems if the fanbase ends up split in two.
Bury AFC (playing in the North West Counties League Division One North in season 2020-21 and ground sharing at Stainton Park (Radcliffe FC)) is the Phoenix club.

The expelled Bury FC (without a league to play in during 2020-21) are still under the ownership of the widely derided Steve Dale are the former EFL club that were based at Gigg Lane.

Butts

Veteran Member
Bury AFC (playing in the North West Counties League Division One North in season 2020-21 and ground sharing at Stainton Park (Radcliffe FC)) is the Phoenix club.

The expelled Bury FC (without a league to play in during 2020-21) are still under the ownership of the widely derided Steve Dale are the former EFL club that were based at Gigg Lane.

Is Gigg Lane still there - the ground ?

Howardh

Established Member
Is this team the official successor club to the one which was expelled from the football league, or a "Phoenix club" which is completely separate from the old one? I think I read somewhere that the expelled club had been taken under new ownership as a going concern, while at the same time a fan-owned phoenix club had been established.

Given the struggles (off the field) in the last few years, I could see there being further problems if the fanbase ends up split in two.
Thereby lies a tale. Technically it's a completely different entity than Dale's Bury FC; grown from nothing by the fans to having a membership of 1000 and I think around 1500 shirt pre-sales. However, the (so-called) fans part of the original Bury, "Forever Bury" aka "Forever Useless" who are supposed to be custodians of the club, and don't have any money to buy from Dale, or pay the debts/mortgages etc HAVE indicated that it IS an option, should the FC eventually be sold or the ground become available, for the phoenix to slide sideways and become the "real" FC and play at Gigg.

As for the "split" there are a few noisy facebookers who simply won't accept AFC, but with no football this coming season, and a huge chance of liquidation and no more football whatsover, they seem to be small in number. The rest want to watch (a) Bury, don't want anything to do with Dale and are quite happy to get behind AFC and should FC reform, will stick with AFC.

Let's face it, although AFC have no ground of their own, there's no debt, no big-time wages and playing every week. And the general concensus seems to be that the water down here's quite nice. make that beer.

But the story will run and run....
EDIT - the pitch at Gigg is apparently in excellent condition, groundsman Mike Curtis is working hard and I'm not sure if he's being paid.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
And the general concensus seems to be that the water down here's quite nice. make that beer.

FC Isle of Man have just set up too and are in the same tier as Bury, just the NWCL 1st Division South not North. There was a 4000 sell-out for their first game a couple of weeks ago, a friendly against Guernsey. It's exciting times.

It just remains to be seen how FC Isle of Man can fulfil fixtures given our border restrictions. Supposed to be playing in the first round of the FA Vase in a couple of weeks...

Howardh

Established Member
FC Isle of Man have just set up too and are in the same tier as Bury, just the NWCL 1st Division South not North. There was a 4000 sell-out for their first game a couple of weeks ago, a friendly against Guernsey. It's exciting times.

It just remains to be seen how FC Isle of Man can fulfil fixtures given our border restrictions. Supposed to be playing in the first round of the FA Vase in a couple of weeks...
If they were a professional team they could base themselves on the mainland, but they aren't, most have full time jobs and its gonna be really difficult for the club. If things don't improve here, the IOM may have to sit out the season.
Fixtures out 10am tomorrow!!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If things don't improve here, the IOM may have to sit out the season.

Home fixtures might just be possible, the government can and do give dispensation for people to come to the island for essential work, so opponents could potentially fly in, play, then fly out again. Whether they'd be happy with that in a contact sport I don't know, there's plenty of risk and the public here still largely support the border controls.

Away games, forget it, not if the players are held to the quarantine when they get back.

It's a real shame when you think they got a crowd of 4000. Maybe a year of playing friendlies with Guernsey, the reverse fixture takes place next week in Guernsey.

Howardh

Established Member
I think that anyone would be hard pressed to describe playing football as "essential work",
They do for "elite sports" although I'm struggling to find the North West Counties Football League Division 2 "elite"! Think the IOM will find their first month of fixtures on the back burner in the hope they can play them later, seeing as a number of cup competitions aren't taking place and the league (I think) has 20 teams = 38 fixtures so they might squeeze them all in before June.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I think that anyone would be hard pressed to describe playing football as "essential work",

Tynwald will stretch definitions if everyone wants them to!

the IOM will find their first month of fixtures on the back burner in the hope they can play them later

I think that will be the case, but I don't expect the border to re-open soon. Our Chief Minister has said we won't ease the restrictions to level three until the UK infection rates drop quite dramatically, and it's level two before the quarantine requirement is dropped. I fear the season will have to be skipped, which given the fanfare around their first game at The Bowl seems a shame

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
After the successful EFL appeal, Macclesfield Town had the "pending" four-point sanction brought into immediate effect and as a result, they have now been relegated to the National League.

UPDATE

Macclesfield Town FC were wound up today in the High Court, with debts over £500,000, of which £190,000 was in unpaid taxes.

Established Member
Liverpool have completed the £20m signing of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich.

This is our second signing of the summer, with Greek left back Kostas Tsimikas being the first.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Liverpool have signed Diogo Jota from Wolves for £41m.

With Hoever going the other way.

Great bit of business for all concerned. Wolves make a profit of £28m on Jota in 2 years. Super player, but does take a run of a few games to get match sharp. Not sure how rotation will work for him, seeing as he has Salah, Firmino, Mané, Origi, and Mini-me all competing for the front line.

Established Member
With Hoever going the other way.

Great bit of business for all concerned. Wolves make a profit of £28m on Jota in 2 years. Super player, but does take a run of a few games to get match sharp. Not sure how rotation will work for him, seeing as he has Salah, Firmino, Mané, Origi, and Mini-me all competing for the front line.

Very good signing, he adds some much needed quality in depth up front. Hoever is a fantastic talent too so I'm sure he'll do well at his new club.

I expect Origi will be leaving fairly soon, with Minamino and Jota rotating with the first choice front three.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Very good signing, he adds some much needed quality in depth up front. Hoever is a fantastic talent too so I'm sure he'll do well at his new club.

I expect Origi will be leaving fairly soon, with Minamino and Jota rotating with the first choice front three.

Wolves fans are definitely in the camp of ‘great servant, good business’ rather than ‘why have we let him go’.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yet another new name sponsor to remember for our local non-league....now known as the Pitching In Northern Premier League
Seen that also. Not quite sure who they (Pitching In) are, what they do, or what individual clubs get out of the sponsorship deal. (It's almost certainly not much actual cash money).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In the "XXX" Northern Premier League, I wonder if the team squads have been affected since this Covid-19 wiped out the last part of last season.
Not that I've noticed, but as playing contracts at this level rarely extend to more than the end of current season, there may well have been a slight downward revision in playing budgets, and hence what an individual player can expect to earn, unless a Club is backed by a wealthy benefactor.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Isle of Man FC postpone their October fixtures. With Covid not going away, the chances of them starting the season are slim. A real shame.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Shelley CFC (North West Counties League - Division One North) have now completely withdrawn for the 2020-21. As already have Guernsey FC (Isthmian League - South East Division) and Droylsden FC (Northern Premier League 1st Division - North West).

Likely to be more, sadly.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
I noticed you have Brad Abbot who was at Boston, real good player, surprised he dropped down a league.
Aye. Played as a triallist pre-season. Brad explains that he decided to drop down a league to play under the Gingerbreads gaffer. He was aware of Martin Mackintosh's style of management and coaching staff during his time at Buxton. Brad handed the role of captain this season.