• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SS4

Established Member
1 PL game at 3pm today. I know it's not as relevant with no attendees and only TV (if you want to pay through the nose for it...) but it still feels like the game has lost its soul in pursuit of money (that probably happened years ago!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
1 PL game at 3pm today. I know it's not as relevant with no attendees and only TV (if you want to pay through the nose for it...) but it still feels like the game has lost its soul in pursuit of money (that probably happened years ago!)

What i havent been able to work out is why some lower level clubs havent kicked off more often at say 1100 or noon to save turning the floodlights on

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What i havent been able to work out is why some lower level clubs havent kicked off more often at say 1100 or noon to save turning the floodlights on
Might depend on just how early away teams would have to set off (from wherever) in order to arrive at the playing venue at say 9.30 a.m. in time for an 11.00 a.m. KO.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Fourth defeat on the spin for Rovers this afternoon. Yet another chance to push on into the top 6 wasted. Taxi for Mowbray...

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Liverpool defeated by the mighty Toffees at Anfield for the first time since 2000

Liverpool's chances of a league title all but evaporate under our eyes.

d9009alycidon

Just shows the ridiculous pressure that is placed on the shoulders of any Old Firm managers, the respective fans along with the media in Scotland place them on a pedestal and laud their every move when things go right, but are happy to stick the knife in as soon as things don't. Celtic have dominated Scottish Football for the last decade, they have prevented any other team from winning anything for four years yet for their so called fans it is never enough and as soon as the winning streak comes to an end it is a national disaster. Only problem I have is that there are not more teams beating both sides of the Old Firm and making it a more competitive and open league, it is really sad for the likes of Hibernian and Aberdeen fans who start the season thinking "I wonder if we can finish third this year?" It is now 37 years since someone outside the OF won the league, and in the history of the game in Scotland the Championship has only been won 19 times by non-OF teams, that is out of 124 Championships, and they wonder why the game is losing fans

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ridiculous pressure? Celtic, favorites for their 5000000 title in a row, are 18 points adrift of Rangers and fairly rubbish this season. In almost any other top flight club Lennon would have been a goner months ago. The fact he has done so well as player and manager has preserved him in role for to long.

BTW The SPL is a pub league ( due to the size, finances and relative success of the old firm clubs) that Celtic only had to turn up to win for the last decade. They couldn't be bothered to turn up this year!

PS - it will be a while before St Mirren win the league! Although incredibly they are 6th this season.

PPS stick to lower league Scottish football. Much more honest

d9009alycidon

Ridiculous pressure? Celtic, favorites for their 5000000 title in a row, are 18 points adrift of Rangers and fairly rubbish this season. In almost any other top flight club Lennon would have been a goner months ago. The fact he has done so well as player and manager has preserved him in role for to long.

BTW The SPL is a pub league ( due to the size, finances and relative success of the old firm clubs) that Celtic only had to turn up to win for the last decade. They couldn't be bothered to turn up this year!

PS - it will be a while before St Mirren win the league! Although incredibly they are 6th this season.

PPS stick to lower league Scottish football. Much more honest

I do - Loyal Airdrie supporter for 60 years

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I do - Loyal Airdrie supporter for 60 years

insert thumbs up icon here - cant beat the Airdrie Onions ;)

BTW - The Excelsior Stadium is a smart ground. I will have to check my records but i think i saw a freezing cold 0-0 there a few years back.

PS was it Airdrie who were top flight runners up 3 times in a row in the 1920's?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding Airdrie, there is a chequered history there regarding the 1878-2002 incarnation. It was four in a row when they were runners up of the top flight division.

I do recall that they once groundshared Broadwood Stadium (home of Clyde) when the former Broomfield Park was sold and demolished.

On the final day of the 2001-02 season when they played away to Ayr United, Airdrieonians went into liquidation.

The next bit is what may be perceived as a bizarre twist of events. The 1965-2002 incarnation of Clydebank were homeless as Kilbowie Park was sold for retail development back in 1996. Clydebank groundshared Boghead Park - the home of Dumbarton. When Boghead was being rebuilt, Clydebank had to leave which there was a long running saga in that the owners of Clydebank wanted to relocate the side to Lansdowne Road, Dublin and play their "home" matches there but still remain members of the Scottish FA. Needless to say and rather unsurprisingly, this proposal got booted out. The only time Clydebank ever got close to Ireland was an away match at Stair Park - the home of Stranraer.

There was some other proposals put forward with the idea of relocating to Galashiels (not surprisingly, Gala Fairydean were not keen on that), and also playing home matches at Brunton Park - home of Carlisle United. Both were rejected. Clydebank spent the last moments of their existence groundsharing Cappielow Park - the home of Greenock Morton which is south of the Clyde. Also, there was a newspaper advertisement that the owners of Clydebank were selling the club for the princely sum of £10.

Back to the former Airdrieonians (1878), in their final year of existence, the former Aston Villa, Barcelona, and Scotland internationalist Steve Archibald took over, and alongside Jim Ballantyne after Airdrieonians went into liquidation, Clydebank were purchased, relocated to Airdrie, and renamed to Airdrie United. In 2013, there was a name change to Airdrieonians.

Meanwhile, a new incarnation of Clydebank was formed in 2002 with Budge Burgess, and they presently play their matches at Peel Glen Park.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
PS was it Airdrie who were top flight runners up 3 times in a row in the 1920's?
The original Airdrieonians FC were actually Scottish League runners up four times in a row in the 1920s (1922-23, 1923-24, 1924-25 and 1925-26).

They also lifted the Scottish Cup in 1923-24.

d9009alycidon

The original Airdrieonians FC were actually Scottish League runners up four times in a row in the 1920s (1922-23, 1923-24, 1924-25 and 1925-26).

And I had the pleasure of watching the following matches

Texaco Cup:
Airdrie 2: Nottingham Forest 2 (agg 4:4) Airdrie won the first penalty shootout int he UK!
Airdrie 2: Manchester City 0 (agg 4:2) OK it was Man City Reserves that came to Broomfield, but we still beat them!
Airdrie 5: Huddersfield 1 (Agg 7 (seven):2) Minor English team put to the sword
Airdrie 0: Derby County 0 (Agg 1:2) The year that Clough won the English League Championship, and the result at the Baseball Ground was a joke, Derby Keeper punched Drew Jarvie and the referee ignored it!

Also been to three Scottish Cup Finals and a few minor cup finals

DarloRich

Veteran Member

thanks - trivia fail there Gary. To be fair the lad will be disappointed with that when he sees the replay ;)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
English semi-pro football in the Northern Premier and Southern League and Isthmian League (and immediate regional feeder leagues) for the 2020-21 season all to be "null and voided" again.

Subject to FA Council ratification but that's almost certainly a formality.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
English semi-pro football in the Northern Premier and Southern League and Isthmian League (and immediate regional feeder leagues) for the 2020-21 season all to be "null and voided" again.

Subject to FA Council ratification but that's almost certainly a formality.

See post #27,044 ;)

They are still charging teams, including Darlo, for not fulfilling fixtures.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
See post #27,044 ;)

They are still charging teams, including Darlo, for not fulfilling fixtures.
Be interesting to see how that pans out. All sorts of sanctions possible for non-fulfilment of fixtures at National League North level, including fines and possible expulsion from next season's competition! o_O

roversfan2001

Established Member
5 defeats on the bounce now for Rovers. First time since 2012 and the first time at this level since 1979. We're truly awful to watch now.

Pakenhamtrain

Melbourne Victory tonight lost thier game against Western United in the last second of the game 4-3. The winning goal for Western United came at 4:59 of 5 minutes of stoppage time.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Melbourne Victory tonight lost thier game against Western United in the last second of the game 4-3. The winning goal for Western United came at 4:59 of 5 minutes of stoppage time.
Steve Kean working wonders then :lol: I've been keeping a close eye on the A-League this season, there's a few ex-Rovers players knocking about. Rudy Gestede and Matt Derbyshire look to be scoring goals for fun which is nice to see.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Shame Gestede is getting wasted at Victory. We've been terrible this year.
What are the general thoughts on Kean over there (if any)? Has his time at Blackburn been mentioned much in the media etc.? Genuinely curious how he's perceived over there as he'll never get a job in English football again after his time here.

Pakenhamtrain

What are the general thoughts on Kean over there (if any)? Has his time at Blackburn been mentioned much in the media etc.? Genuinely curious how he's perceived over there as he'll never get a job in English football again after his time here.
I can't say I've heard much. Most a blaming the board for the current state of the team.
I wouldn't be surprised if he does become the head coach. They're likely to give Brebner the flick rather than themselves.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I imagine both you and @Old Yard Dog will be relishing the prospect of a league derby against Bradford City FC next season, given the situation that club finds itself in...

Bradford City FC have suddenly had a good run in League Two, winning four and drawing one of their last five league matches. They are currently in tenth place in the division.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
A lady in my Super 6 league was on for the jackpot until the last minute Swansea penalty yesterday. Gutted!