• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Geezertronic

Established Member

FT:
Brentford 2-0 Arsenal

Canos 22 ...........................
Norgaard 73 ......................
Football is back, folks.

I wonder whether this was a true result rather than an abnormal result - whether Brentford are actually that good, and/or if Arsenal or actually that bad. Only future results will tell I guess

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
It didn't seem to be a problem for Rangers' phoenix first team to restart at league Two rather than at the bottom of the pyramid... <D
I feel as if the recent comment by @Mcr Warrior is equally applicable to you :D
As well that you are raising that point on here, rather than a dedicated Scottish football-related forum, as you'd have probably just started another hundred page long flame war! :rolleyes:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What have the Highland League teams had to say about this, given that their champions play the Lowland champions for the right to play the bottom team in Scottish league two?
Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' are both not currently eligible to take part in any end-of-season play offs. If the Old Firm colts finish 1st and/or 2nd in the Lowland League, the next best placed team will then take on the Highland League champions for the chance of promotion to SPFL League Two.

Tryfan

I wonder whether this was a true result rather than an abnormal result - whether Brentford are actually that good, and/or if Arsenal or actually that bad. Only future results will tell I guess
Seem to recall Hull City doing something similar to one of the top sides about twelve years ago. I think they beat Arsenal at The Emirates

They led the Premier League for a while but ultimately ended up scrapping to stay in the division once other clubs sussed them out

SteveM70

Established Member
Rangers 'B' and Celtic 'B' are both not currently eligible to take part in any end-of-season play offs. If the Old Firm colts finish 1st and/or 2nd in the Lowland League, the next best placed team will then take on the Highland League champions for the chance of promotion to SPFL League Two.

Yes, but if as has been said a condition of their membership is some sort of sweetener to the lowland league teams, that potentially gives them an unfair advantage over the highland league teams doesn’t it?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, but if as has been said a condition of their membership is some sort of sweetener to the lowland league teams, that potentially gives them an unfair advantage over the highland league teams doesn’t it?
Not sure I quite follow your argument on this. Are you referring to the one-off payment, rumoured to be £25thd per LL club?

SteveM70

Established Member
Not sure I quite follow your argument on this. Are you referring to the one-off payment, rumoured to be £25thd per LL club?

I had no idea of the amount. My point was that if it’s significant the lowland league teams could use it to fund players they couldn’t otherwise afford

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whilst Scotland seems currently an area for discussion on this thread, in my early 20s in 1967, Third Lanark who played (I think) at Cathkin Park went out of existence. That club was formed out of the Third Lanark Athletics Club, so I am informed. Is there any website member who actually saw them play in their final years?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Whilst Scotland seems currently an area for discussion on this thread, in my early 20s in 1967, Third Lanark who played (I think) at Cathkin Park went out of existence. That club was formed out of the Third Lanark Athletics Club, so I am informed. Is there any website member who actually saw them play in their final years?
Can't be many of their supporters still around, it's been some 54 years since the Thirds folded, and in their final season, attendances were down to as low as a few hundred. In their final days, players had to be paid from the day's gate takings, i.e. bags of random small change.

Believe the Third Lanark club had military origins, being formed in late 1872 as the football team of the 'Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers'. The subsequent name change to 'Third Lanark Athletics Club' in 1903 reflected the severing of military links over the intervening years.

Cathkin Park (not that far from Hampden) is still a green space in Glasgow, sometimes used for recreational football matches and indeed some of the old terracing is still there, albeit the grandstands have long since gone.

backontrack

Established Member
At least two (Inverness Caley Thistle and Ross County) have reached the top flight and stayed there for a few years.
There's also Peterhead and Cove Rangers in the leagues.

Pitching In Northern Premier League ... Premier Division

Hyde United 0 ... Atherton Collieries 1

Atherton always seem to win when they play Hyde in recent seasons..whether at home or away... :rolleyes:

********************************************************************************************************

It is always worth having a glance at both the Lowland League and the Highland League for some eye-catching results. Today, the Lowland League had them:-

Vale of Leithen 0 ... Celtic B 10

Rangers B 9 ... Gretna 2008 1

Bonnyrigg Rose 7 ... Edinburgh University 0
A week ago: Buckie Thistle 10-0 Keith!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Fort William can still register being on the wrong side of a heavy defeat, even playing Highland League home matches...

Fort William 0 ... Brora Rangers 8

Back on the other side of Hadrian's Wall, Oldham Athletic are finding life harder in Division 2 than they did in Division 1 for many years and have the wrong type of a 100% league record this season......:'(

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Fort William can still register being on the wrong side of a heavy defeat, even playing Highland League home matches...

Fort William 0 ... Brora Rangers 8
Fort William not playing any actual "home" games as such this season, due to vandalism at Claggan Park. Today's HFL match would have been played at Dudgeon Park in Brora.

backontrack

Established Member
Fort William not playing any actual "home" games as such this season, due to vandalism at Claggan Park. Today's HFL match would have been played at Dudgeon Park in Brora.
Very unfortunate for them seeing as relegation is being introduced!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Very unfortunate for them seeing as relegation is being introduced!
Relegation is also an established fact of life in the Lowland League, subject to who wins the play-off match? It seems that the Highland League were always treated more favourably than the Lowland League, similar to what used to be the case for the bottom club in Scottish League 2.

There is a likely candidate in that league....Vale of Leithen

P9...W0..D0..L9...Goals for 2..Goals against 45...Points 0

The problem with Claggan Park is because it is an open public park, quite unusual for football teams in the highest levels of Scottish non-league football. The tractor used to keep the grass pitch in order, the sprinkler system and seating in the stand have all been subject to vandalism. You are quite right in that Fort William have been told to play all their home matches away from Claggan Park.

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
Relegation is also an established fact of life in the Lowland League, subject to who wins the play-off match?
Yes - although it's all very confusing. Something to do with who gets relegated from League 2 and whether they would go into the Lowland as the Lowland should remain at 16 teams (18 currently with the Old Firm B teams) regardless of who goes up and down. I tried to properly understand it once but very quickly gave up. :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This will see a greatly increased transport budget for Fort William to bear. Also every match this season being an away-type match, the playing staff will be faced with long travelling distances every week.

My contention is that the Scottish FA should set a minimum level of enclosed ground facilities for their top two non-league divisions, as is the case in England. It beggars belief that a club in the Highland League plays its home matches in an open public park area.

backontrack

Established Member
Relegation is also an established fact of life in the Lowland League, subject to who wins the play-off match? It seems that the Highland League were always treated more favourably than the Lowland League, similar to what used to be the case for the bottom club in Scottish League 2.
It's not favouritism, it's the previous inability of teams in the North Caledonian Football League to play at the Highland League level. Golspie Sutherland are still the only team below the HL who are registered with the SFA.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
My contention is that the Scottish FA should set a minimum level of enclosed ground facilities for their top two non-league divisions, as is the case in England. It beggars belief that a club in the Highland League plays its home matches in an open public park area.
They do. It's called the SFA's National Club Licensing system. However, almost all (quite possibly all) Highland League clubs only have the most basic "Entry" level status. Essentially all that is required is for there to be a boundary wall/fence to prevent unimpeded access and permanent screens in place to obscure the playing area from the publicly accessible areas.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Over the years I have had the misfortune to watch Atletico Madrid B in LaLiga2 and VfB Stuttgart B and Werder Bremen B in 3.Liga in order to cop new grounds. These teams had no support and played without passion. The Werder Bremen game at home to SV Wehen first team was played in what was little better than a field outside the main stadium and "attracted" just 334 spectators, many away fans. The so-called programme covered half or dozen or so games, including ladies matches. B teams probably vary in strength from week to week and are not welcome anywhere in the English football pyramid. As crowds at the Freight Rover Trophy have so clearly demonstrated.

THC

I'm a Celtic fan but have always taken an interest in football right down the leagues. I totally agree with those who don't want 'B' teams anywhere near the pyramid and I hope that the Lowland League "experiment" is canned after this season. There are plenty of ambitious clubs bubbling under in both the EoS and WoS leagues who will prove far more deserving of a place higher up and we shouldn't be standing in their way.

THC

Loppylugs

Doh, my beloved AFC Wimbledon have been drawn away again in the Carabao Cup. Had to deal with Charlton and Northampton, now we get Arsenal. Oh well, just have to look forward to a home draw in the next round :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Doh, my beloved AFC Wimbledon have been drawn away again in the Carabao Cup. Had to deal with Charlton and Northampton, now we get Arsenal. Oh well, just have to look forward to a home draw in the next round :lol:
Oldham Athletic, who have lost all their league games so far in this new season, have been drawn away to Brentford, after winning 5-4 on penalties against Accrington Stanley in the previous cup round after the match finished 0-0.

**************************************************************************************************
The posting below was made on Saturday, 28th August....Unfortunately the new system attached it to a posting made some days earlier.

Pitching-in Northern Premier League...Premier Division

Hyde United 2 ... FC United of Manchester 1

In this derby match. Hyde scored twice early in the first half, with FC United pulling a goal back in the second half.

A four-figure attendance as usual for this derby match.... 1,194.

Last edited: