• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

SteveM70

Established Member
A lady in my Super 6 league was on for the jackpot until the last minute Swansea penalty yesterday. Gutted!

Nightmare. Although I’d predicted 2-1 Swansea in both Super 6 and a bet so the 90+7 penalty was great for me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Bradford City FC have suddenly had a good run in League Two, winning four and drawing one of their last five league matches. They are currently in tenth place in the division.
After sacking Stuart McCall for the 18th time... of course they failed to win yesterday after I'd included them in my acca. :rolleyes:

The way things are going, they may have more chance of a derby next season with Huddersfield than with Halifax or Bradford (Park Avenue).

backontrack

Established Member
Dundee Utd 0-0 Celtic

Rangers are champions.

No fabled 10IAR for Celtic - instead, Rangers lay claim to their 55th title. Steven Gerrard gets his first league triumph.

It’s 6 now isn’t it?
Liverpool 0-1 Fulham (Lemina)

Oh mate.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Dundee Utd 0-0 Celtic

Rangers are champions.

No fabled 10IAR for Celtic - instead, Rangers lay claim to their 55th title. Steven Gerrard gets his first league triumph.

Liverpool 0-1 Fulham (Lemina)

Oh mate.

I would like to mention that depending upon various viewpoints that it is the very first title for the present incarnation of the Ibrox side unless the honours of the 1872-2012 incarnation transferred across back then.

A friend of mine who provided match day services at Ibrox has still not been paid nine years later, and the outcome that would be preferable is for David Murray to be pulled into the dock (ideally the Old Bailey as it is outwith Murray's comfort zone) on charges of tax fraud, and for Murray to be stripped of his knighthood and sent to jail.

backontrack

Established Member
I would like to mention that depending upon various viewpoints that it is the very first title for the present incarnation of the Ibrox side unless the honours of the 1872-2012 incarnation transferred across back then.
Hence "Rangers lay claim".

I'm not getting into that, though, because of all the crap patter on either side of the divide.

backontrack

Established Member
That was why I had used the phrase "depending upon various viewpoints" and left it at that for that reason you mentioned.
Of course. I'm fairly agnostic when it comes to this stuff - I follow Ross County a little but that's about it.

The Rangers team was properly good this season. Their captain James Tavernier has been exceptional - can we talk about the proliferation of excellent English right-backs? AFAIK Tavernier is their top-scorer, and I reckon he's properly EPL mid-table standard at least. Another name to add to the list of Alexander-Arnold, Walker, James, Trippier, Justin, Godfrey, Wan-Bissaka, Cash, Ayling, Fredericks, Walker-Peters...even Sheffield United have George Baldock and Jayden Bogle.

Celtic have been - for the most part - mind-numbingly terrible. They were certainly in the mix at the start of the season, always with a few games in hand, but then they started to squander points. Their midfield was hopelessly unbalanced. Scott Brown is past it and Olivier Ntcham didn't press, leaving Callum McGregor to do all the defensively work - and creating nothing going forward. Bringing David Turnbull and Tom Rogic into the mix was a sensible step, but it came far too late in the season. Contrast that with Rangers, who have had a balanced stable of midfield options (Kamara/Davis/Aribo/Jack/Arfield/Zungu) to pull from.

Mo Elyounoussi has been their one solid performer, while Ryan Christie has toiled without any discernable success, often as an auxiliary striker (with neither Albian Ajeti nor Patryk Klimala being fully trusted by Neil Lennon). All Lennon did was try the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. By the time he actually changed things, the players' heads had gone.

Recent recruitment had been poor. Diego Laxalt was quickly discarded. Jeremie Frimpong and Hatem Abd Elhamed have left for pastures new. The spine of the team - Kristoffer Ajer, Ntcham, Christie and Odsonne Edouard - have all been coveted by other teams. Shane Duffy has been a walking disaster in central defence - a ludicrously poor signing - while Vasilis Barkas hasn't been much better in goals. Overall, this season has been a disaster for Celtic, and they're lucky that Hibernian are still Hibsing it and that Aberdeen are in a little tailspin of their own.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
EFL TROPHY FINAL

Portsmouth from League 1 against Salford City from League 2 in this final played at Wembley. Scoreless at half-time, full-time and extra-time, but Salford seemed to have the edge and were not like a side a division below their opponents.

So it came down to the dreaded penalty shoot-out, which Portsmouth contrived not to score from either of their first two attempts, whereas Salford held their nerve and won the penalty shoot out 4-2. This is the first trophy win for Salford since they became an EFL club. A couple of the "noted" Salford owners were there watching the match.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And of course Salford City now get to retain the (season 2019/20) EFL Trophy for all of 24 hours, as the season 2020/21 EFL Trophy final between Sunderland and Tranmere Rovers is being held tomorrow (Sunday).

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
News on the BBC earlier on today mentioning former Leeds Utd and Scotland internationalist Peter Lorimer has passed away. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56234156

Although was good at scoring goals such as in Scotland's 2-0 win against Zaire in the 1974 World Cup, like his teammate Billy Bremner, he was a very dirty player in that both Lorimer and Bremner made sure that opponents got tackled, even though the ball was nowhere near. Putting into context, back in 1995, Duncan Ferguson got sent to jail for giving Jock McStay a Glasgow kiss on the pitch.

Iskra

Established Member
News on the BBC earlier on today mentioning former Leeds Utd and Scotland internationalist Peter Lorimer has passed away. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56234156

Although was good at scoring goals such as in Scotland's 2-0 win against Zaire in the 1974 World Cup, like his teammate Billy Bremner, he was a very dirty player in that both Lorimer and Bremner made sure that opponents got tackled, even though the ball was nowhere near. Putting into context, back in 1995, Duncan Ferguson got sent to jail for giving Jock McStay a Glasgow kiss on the pitch.
This is something that comes up frequently ('dirty Leeds'), but you have to remember that the standards at the time were a bit different and it's not exactly reasonable to judge football from then by today's standards. I'm 31 and even within my lifetime tackles that would have been fine in the 1990's can now get you sent off... However, I can't comment too much as I wasn't there when he was playing. What I can say is that I've met him multiple times and that he came across as an absolute gentleman on all those occasions.

Maybe they were a dirty team, but there was certainly some footballing merit behind that team;

'Poor Southampton just don't know what day it is'

- - - - -

In other Leeds United news, we beat Fulham last night to pretty much ensure our Premier League survival, and it was an important win to bolster our recently faltering confidence.

SteveM70

Established Member
The Leeds team of the early/mid 70s weren’t massively dirty by the standards of the day, but they were horribly cynical

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Indeed. Leeds weren't the only ones on the end of "questionable" European results either

I was thinking more, though, about the long history of allegations of bungs and backhanders offered by Revie. All unproved of course but supported by decent circumstantial evidence. That said Leeds and their fans are massively one eyed so it is to be expected that they prefer to focus on when they were robbed rather than when, it is alleged, they were up to no good.

Cloughie had it right: "as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest f***ing dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating"

( and I know he probably didn't say that but it is a good line!)

PPS - Leeds probably were robbed in the 1975 European Cup Final. They should have had at least one penalty and had a goal disallowed in tight circumstances. We will over look the fact that Leeds stuck in a couple of "tasty" challenges early doors and that the side was then manged by Jimmy Armfield as Revie had left for the England job.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Indeed. Leeds weren't the only ones on the end of "questionable" European results either

I was thinking more, though, about the long history of allegations of bungs and backhanders offered by Revie. All unproved of course but supported by decent circumstantial evidence. That said Leeds and their fans are massively one eyed so it is to be expected that they prefer to focus on when they were robbed rather than when, it is alleged, they were up to no good.

Cloughie had it right: "as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest f***ing dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating"

( and I know he probably didn't say that but it is a good line!)

PPS - Leeds probably were robbed in the 1975 European Cup Final. They should have had at least one penalty and had a goal disallowed in tight circumstances. We will over look the fact that Leeds stuck in a couple of "tasty" challenges early doors and that the side was then manged by Jimmy Armfield as Revie had left for the England job.
Indeed, Gary Sprake came out and said it happened, but then he was skint, alienated and got paid handsomely for his story. I’m not saying it didn’t happen, just that things were different back then and that to single Leeds or Revie out for it alone is unfair.

I agree it’s a good line, have you seen The Damned United? Clough’s behaviour was hardly upstanding, but of course history is written by the victors isnt it?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Indeed. Leeds weren't the only ones on the end of "questionable" European results either.
Cloughie also allegedly got the rough end of the stick whilst manager of Derby County in a European Cup semi-final 1st leg away vs Juventus in 1973 where it was claimed that the home centre forward had had a convivial chat in the match referee's dressing room, both before the game and at half time.

Juventus won 3-1 and the numerous dubious cautions issued meant that a number of key Derby players had to sit out the (0-0) second leg at the old Baseball ground.

Loppylugs

EFL TROPHY FINAL

Portsmouth from League 1 against Salford City from League 2 in this final played at Wembley. Scoreless at half-time, full-time and extra-time, but Salford seemed to have the edge and were not like a side a division below their opponents.

So it came down to the dreaded penalty shoot-out, which Portsmouth contrived not to score from either of their first two attempts, whereas Salford held their nerve and won the penalty shoot out 4-2. This is the first trophy win for Salford since they became an EFL club. A couple of the "noted" Salford owners were there watching the match.
So how ironic that both clubs have sacked their respective managers. Obviously Salford's owners expect instant success but money doesn't buy that. I wonder who's manager they'll pinch next to try and achieve their aims of joining the moneybags higher up.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Scottish Cup ... 2nd round

Brora Rangers 2 ... Heart of Midlothan 1

Not exactly the "Jam Tarts" finest moment and most definitely a "cup shock".
I had a big smile on my face last night when I saw that result - and no, I'm not a Hibs fan. :)

(There are, unsurprisingly, a lot of Hearts fans around where I am though, and without wanting to tar them all with the same brush, a high proportion of them have an artificially high opinion of their club e.g when they were last promoted from the Championship in 2015 a lot of them genuinely believed they could challenge for the Premiership title in their first season back. So to see them knocked out by a part-time team from 3 divisions below them was very sweet.)

Butts

Veteran Member

As a Hearts fan it is humiliating to say the least - did they put out a 1st Team ?

Just as well we are so far ahead in The Championship or promotion back to the SPL could be in doubt.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member

In my book that is the biggest Scottish Cup shock of all time, finally eclipsing Berwick beating Rangers in 1967.

Aside from the gulf between league placings, Brora's Highland League season had barely got going when it was suspended in January after 3 games. Their preparation for this tie was just five training sessions and one friendly, hardly ideal, whilst Hearts have been playing and training every week for months.

Last edited:

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Didn't a team from the Northern Premier League once shoot into the Scottish Premier League and waltz to the Scottish FA Cup Final where they only lost to Hearts on penalties? And they were even kind enough to remember their friends in the NPL and sell me a couple of tickets. Mind you a team from the NPL did much the same in England, in fact they won the FA Cup, but it took them a little longer! And they sold me a cup final ticket as well.