• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
It’s absolute madness playing it there now. It should be played at Wembley in the current situation which would be better for everyone concerned.
Needless risk and expense for the teams and the fans isn’t it?

Yep, exactly. Barmy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
It’s absolute madness playing it there now. It should be played at Wembley in the current situation which would be better for everyone concerned.

I wouldn't say Wembley, but at Villa Park, or even St James Park in Newcastle. A city which is neutral for both teams.

The athletic stadium in Turkey can get the final next year. Similar to what's happened in rugby

birchesgreen

Established Member
Good to see an All premiership final for the Champions League again, hopefully both Man Utd & Arsenal will make it an all premiership final for the Europa League tomorrow.
Really? Why? The best thing about European football is seeing different teams and not match-ups you already see at least twice a season.

REVUpminster

At a real football level if Torquay United win their last four games they will be promoted as champions of the Vanarama National league. A stunning result last Tuesday between Notts County and Sutton United gave this outcome.

Loppylugs

At a real football level if Torquay United win their last four games they will be promoted as champions of the Vanarama National league. A stunning result last Tuesday between Notts County and Sutton United gave this outcome.
Real football level indeed, will be good to see Torquay back in the league.
The best game of football I've seen all season was the 2020 FA Vase final between Consett and Hebburn completed Bank Holiday Monday this year. Five great goals, no tip-tapping around in their own areas and thoroughly entertaining. 3 - 2 to Hebburn.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I genuinely don't know
1-0 win for Chelsea (vs Manchester City), I didn't watch this particular FA Cup semi final either.

Interesting that three of the English teams who were so recently seeking to form the new European Super League competition have now qualified for the two major European club tournament finals currently organised by UEFA.

Arsenal can make it four if they win through tonight.

Butts

Veteran Member

This makes perfect sense- but UEFA are just as corrupt and greedy as the usurpers put to the sword so I doubt it will happen.

If only Sepp was still there, I'm sure an understanding could have been arrived at :E

Both European Trophies could end up in Manchester this year.

Kite159

Veteran Member
This makes perfect sense- but UEFA are just as corrupt and greedy as the usurpers put to the sword so I doubt it will happen.

If only Sepp was still there, I'm sure an understanding could have been arrived at :E

Both European Trophies could end up in Manchester this year.

I wonder when the last time both European trophies ended up being won by 2 teams in the same city?

Edit - only a couple years ago it seems when both Madrid clubs won.

Grecian 1998

Real and Atletico Madrid won the two cup competitions in 2018.

In 1994 AC Milan won the European Cup and Internazionale won the UEFA Cup. There was then also the Cup Winners' Cup though, which was won by Arsenal. Not sure there's ever been any other such instances though.

If there are no fans, or not many fans, the Ricoh Arena in Coventry is about halfway between the two. Alternatively, I'm sure Nuneaton Borough would be happy to stage the Champions' League Final at Liberty Way, although the press facilities might not meet the relevant criteria. Wikipedia does however confirm there is a sizeable car park.

JamesT

Established Member
Have attendance limits of supporters per club been set on both of those two coming finals in either Turkey or Poland?

Apparently for the Europa League Final the total numbers will be 9,500, 25% of capacity. 2,000 have been allocated to supporters of each team.
For the Champions League it’s supposed to be at least 4,000 for each team. But the status of restrictions in Istanbul is still uncertain so the number of supporters allowed isn’t fully decided.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Apparently for the Europa League Final the total numbers will be 9,500, 25% of capacity. 2,000 have been allocated to supporters of each team.
For the Champions League it’s supposed to be at least 4,000 for each team. But the status of restrictions in Istanbul is still uncertain so the number of supporters allowed isn’t fully decided.
In that case, there is no need for a very large stadium to be used.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Although I suspect if they use a smaller stadium the number of people allowed in will also decrease citing social distancing.
Do both Poland and Turkey have the same social distancing requirements as Britain.

Some football supporters appear to believe that social distancing does not apply to them as was shown when the Liverpool fans came en-masse to Anfield and to the Pier Head after they had won the Premier League and those Manchester United supporters who very recently turned up en-masse outside the Old Trafford stadium (those who invaded the pitch area there are something for another thread).

JamesT

Established Member
Though as it stands, Turkey has gone onto the red list, so there won't be any fans from the UK going.
Poland isn't on the green list, so any United supporters will have to self-isolate on the way back.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I believe there are exceptions for elite sportsmen, hence they’ve been able to play internationals recently.
I wonder where the medical knowledge came from that miraculously keeps "elite sportsmen" free from from pandemic danger, when other medical science talks of football players being prone to certain ailments from the constant heading of a football.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wonder where the medical knowledge came from that miraculously keeps "elite sportsmen" free from from pandemic danger, when other medical science talks of football players being prone to certain ailments from the constant heading of a football.
I think it's more that the nature of their work means that (a) their interactions with others are limited outside of the game itself, with the other team being in the same situation; and (b) elite teams generally travel privately as a group, so post-return testing is easier to undertake.

Cletus

Established Member
Newcastle 2 up? Weird…
Not as weird as being 3-up :lol:

Real football level indeed, will be good to see Torquay back in the league.
The best game of football I've seen all season was the 2020 FA Vase final between Consett and Hebburn completed Bank Holiday Monday this year. Five great goals, no tip-tapping around in their own areas and thoroughly entertaining. 3 - 2 to Hebburn.
Hebburn are in this season's quarter-finals, so you may get to see them again soon.

Iskra

Established Member
There's much interest in the final day of the Championship today;

Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and Rotherham all able to be relegated from the Championship, with Derby and Wednesday playing each other today. Rotherham must beat Cardiff to survive. I'm hoping Rotherham can stay up but I don't think it is very likely.

In league two, I'm hoping Morecambe can win their 'derby' against Bradford, with Bolton dropping points to allow Morecambe to be promoted automatically.