• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

birchesgreen

Established Member
He is an excellent footballer ( not sure "best ever" as few of us have seen all of the competition) but I still maintain he is a preening show pony and his histrionics are infuriating.
I find him so over the top he is actually quite endearing.
Manchester United 1- 2 Young Boys at Wankdorf Stadium. A tactical disaster class from the manager I think.
There is a "You won't win anything with kids" joke in there somewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Champions League

Manchester City 6 ... RB Leipzig 3

Plenty of goals for a neutral to enjoy, but Manchester City need to learn this is not a competition in which you can blithely concede three goals in a home match. When it gets to the later stages of this competition, a solid defence is an essential part of a good team.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Aston Villa 3 - 0 Everton

The most played top flight fixture saw goals from Matthew Cash (66) and Leon Bailey (75) scoring for Villa, with an own goal from The Toffees Lucas Digne (69).

Villa had 16 attempts on goal with 10 on target compared to Everton's 11 and 6 respectively. Possession wise, Villa had 56% compared to Everton's 44%.

As things presently stand, Villa have 7 points from 5 games (6 behind leaders Liverpool), and are in the relative comfort zone of mid table obscurity in tenth.

Geezertronic

Established Member
"It's a funny old game" - Jimmy Greaves, probably one of the most underrated English football players. Only injury robbed him of his big moment, promoting Geoff Hurst to English football folklore in the World Cup Final of 1966

Any football fan of a certain age also knows Saint & Greavsie which, whilst only on for 7 years or so, is also part of football folklore.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Some "interesting" Scottish Cup results from yesterday......

Coldstream 1 ... East Kilbride 10

Wigtown & Bladnoch 0 ... St Cuthbert Wanderers 8

Clydebank 7 ... Dalkeith Thistle 0
More "interesting" was perhaps Fraserburgh 1 Sauchie Juniors 2.

Fraserburgh, top of the Highland League, losing against ten man Sauchie, who were competing in the Scottish Cup for the first time ever.

EFL Carabao Cup - Round 3

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur; Spurs won 3-2 on Penalties

Nuno snuck a 2nd win at Molineux this season, but this one on Penalties.

Bruno Lage’s side went 0-2 down thanks to strikes by Tanguy Ndombele and Harry Kane, but we fought back thanks to a superb header by Leander Dendonker and a fantastically finished counter attack by Daniel Podence.

Roared on by over 28.7k, we just couldn’t find the winner and in the end, the luck of the draw on Penalties wasn’t there, with misses by Ruben Neves, goalscorer Dendonker and captain Conor Coady sent the visitors into Round 4.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
As they say about football, it's a funny old game. Oldham Athletic are having a very poor start to their League Two season and were well and soundly trounced (not unexpectedly) 7-0 in a cup match by Brentford during the week. Today, they were away in their derby match at Rochdale (who are the top half of that league) and Oldham Athletic won 1-0.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Llandudno goalkeeper Alan Camsell still playing at 88 - BBC News
A goalkeeper who still plays for his local team at the age of 88 says he is now playing with the grandsons of his original team mates.

Alan Camsell plays for Penrhyn Bay Stollers FC, a walking football team based in Llandudno.

"I'm rather sore on a Saturday, but on a Friday I enjoy it pretty much," Mr Camsell said.

"Lately I've realised I'm getting a bit slow, the ball's past me when I'm still diving. So what? It's only fun."
This must surely be a record?

I play football with a 70 year old which is pretty impressive (and that is outfield and not walking football, so rather more challenging).

SteveM70

Established Member
Sometimes football is the best sport in the world, and being a Halifax Town fan is bloody brilliant.

2-0 down at home to Notts County (and their big budget) after an hour

Centre half sent off for reacting to being flattened. Fifth division ref didn’t even book the other guy

Jordan Slew 79
Billy Waters 86
Matty Warburton 90+10

Won 3-2

Proper Roy of the Rovers stuff

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sometimes football is the best sport in the world, and being a Halifax Town fan is bloody brilliant.

2-0 down at home to Notts County (and their big budget) after an hour

Centre half sent off for reacting to being flattened. Fifth division ref didn’t even book the other guy

Jordan Slew 79
Billy Waters 86
Matty Warburton 90+10

Won 3-2

Proper Roy of the Rovers stuff
I hope the highlights for that one make it to YouTube!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Jim Gannon? Wow. Interesting times ahead
From a Hyde United supporters point of view, "interesting" seems a euphemism for a different word that could be applied, as in his very short tenure in post as manager, he has seen the team thrashed 6-1 in an FA Cup qualifying round game and then last night, away to Witton Albion, a team in the bottom places in the league, guided Hyde United to a 4-2 defeat.

********************************************************************************************************************************

The next part of the posting covers events that happened on a later date, but the new website system conjoined it to a posting made on a previous day

Tonight in the Lowland League was the bottom v top fixture which came up with an eye-catching result.....

Vale of Leithen 0 ... Bonnyrigg Rose 13

Meanwhile, over in the Highland League, it looked like Fort William were holding their own and were 2-1 up at half-time, but they do say that football is a game of two halves and the final score was...

Strathspey Thistle 7 ... Fort William 3

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Getting rather fed up with the website deciding to dedicate this posting to me.....This posting made Saturday 9th October 2021 <(

Lowland League

Berwick Rangers 11 ... Vale of Leithen 0

That's no goals scored and 24 conceded in their last two matches by Vale of Leithen.....P15...W0..D0..L15...Goals for 5..Goals against 96...Points 0

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Great to see the Toon army faithful out celebrating the end of the Mike Ashley regime. Fat Mike might have gone but at least he never chopped up a reporter for asking awkward questions. The Chronicle will have to mind their p's and q's now!

The clown army are celebrating like they have won something (in colour) but have yet to realise their club just got further away from them.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Was rather surreal seeing the fans waving Saudi flags and even dressing like sheiks!

Rumour is Bruce is for the chop, i hope not literally but you never know these days.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Highland League

Buckie Thistle 9 ... Fort William 1

The mid-week match produced the expected high score. Fort William have only one point from the first twelve matches played this season.
Better than Vale of Leithen in the Lowland League who are pointless after 15 games, and recently lost 13-0 at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Better than Vale of Leithen in the Lowland League who are pointless after 15 games, and recently lost 13-0 at home to Bonnyrigg Rose.
See my posting # 27,705.

Recently, I had sight of the Vale of Leithen team squad players and their ages. Some were on the wrong side of 40.

From a Hyde United supporters point of view, "interesting" seems a euphemism for a different word that could be applied, as in his very short tenure in post as manager, he has seen the team thrashed 6-1 in an FA Cup qualifying round game and then last night, away to Witton Albion, a team in the bottom places in the league, guided Hyde United to a 4-2 defeat.
Since posting the above, Hyde United have had two further league matches, both at home....

09/10/21 ... v. Lancaster City ... Lost 0-1

12/10/21 ... v. Radcliffe ............Lost 1-3

Jim Gannon better start getting a few matches together with a different defensive strategy.

Last edited:

RichJF

Bruce is a gonna.
You get some NUFC fans who think that the Saudis are the best thing since sliced bread, then some more remote (geographically) NUFC fans such as myself who are pleased we might get some investment, but still wary about the state/club connection & the fact it's taking Middle Eastern billionaires to re-generate the city rather than the UK govt.

I still expect only 50m or something to be spent in January, not the hundreds of millions a lot of NUFC fans want to be spent.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I still expect only 50m or something to be spent in January, not the hundreds of millions a lot of NUFC fans want to be spent.
Wonder whether the present incumbent manager/head coach will still be around to spend any of that stated amount, or indeed if any of it will have already been spent on their severance payment.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
You get some NUFC fans who think that the Saudis are the best thing since sliced bread, then some more remote (geographically) NUFC fans such as myself who are pleased we might get some investment, but still wary about the state/club connection & the fact it's taking Middle Eastern billionaires to re-generate the city rather than the UK govt.

Wary is doing a lot of heavy lifting!

Steve Bruce has unsurprisingly left Newcastle United

Manager Steve Bruce has left Newcastle United by mutual consent just 13 days after the Saudi Arabia-backed £305m takeover of the club was completed.​

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Wary is doing a lot of heavy lifting!

Steve Bruce has unsurprisingly left Newcastle United

If he really got an Eight Million Pound Payoff is that not insane ?

A lot of these so called Managers troll around various clubs achieving nothing and leaving with a sizeable severance for maintaining mediocrity in a lot of cases.

Nice work if you can get it !!

Forget Bankers Football Managers are the ones with their nose in the trough.

On Moderation
If he really got an Eight Million Pound Payoff is that not insane ?

A lot of these so called Managers troll around various clubs achieving nothing and leaving with a sizeable severance for maintaining mediocrity in a lot of cases.

Nice work if you can get it !!

Forget Bankers Football Managers are the ones with their nose in the trough.
I hope he has got that pay off. For the way he has been treated from day one up there, he deserves it.