• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgot my change from the fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Is it just me who thinks its fair game for the driver to have a couple of pints?

When I drive a bus (2 or 3 days a week at the moment) I pay in takings once a fortnight by withdrawing from a cashpoint, and spend the loose change as I go about my daily business (though to be fair, this is the exception). This also has the advantage that if I'm short I just pay in anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

william

Established Member
Is it just me who thinks its fair game for the driver to have a couple of pints?

When I drive a bus (2 or 3 days a week at the moment) I pay in takings once a fortnight by withdrawing from a cashpoint, and spend the loose change as I go about my daily business (though to be fair, this is the exception). This also has the advantage that if I'm short I just pay in anyway.

What, with someone elses money? I needed that fiver as I'm of work at the moment. I wish I could go for a couple of pints......:roll:

34D

Established Member
What, with someone elses money? I needed that fiver as I'm of work at the moment. I wish I could go for a couple of pints......:roll:

I went to a restaurant last week. Bill was £34. I left two £20s on the table and left.

Do you really think it is acceptable to email a few days later and ask for my change?

bluenoxid

Established Member
I went to a restaurant last week. Bill was £34. I left two £20s on the table and left.

Do you really think it is acceptable to email a few days later and ask for my change?

It depends if the restaurant told me that they would offer me my change at a later point during the meal... :lol:

If you are not happy with a bus operators response, please do not hesitate to take it on to Bus Users UK.

wintonian

Established Member

(pointless rhetorical question)
I went to a bank last week and paid a £34 bill with 2 £20 notes.

Do you think it's acceptable for me to go back and ask for the £6.
----
(more sensible question)
Why are we obsessed with analogy's on this forum and why do they tend to appear in threads of disagreement? 8-)

34D

Established Member
Because the OP erred, and is (in my view) being unreasonable in search of someone else providing redress for his mistake.

Do not all Go Ahead buses take 'the key' ITSO smartcard?

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Because the OP erred, and is (in my view) being unreasonable in search of someone else providing redress for his mistake.

The Key was rolled out on Tyneside about 2 year ago IIRC. The 'compensation' of 3 day day ticket I got off them was stored on a Key card but the first day I used it I realised they had forgotten to load the tickets on :roll:

william

Established Member

What is your problem? All you've done is try and justify dishonesty. It is obvious both me and the driver forgot about it and this is not exactly difficult to understand considering the long bus journey during rush hour. This doesn't detract from the fact that I'm still owe change by the company/driver.

34D

Established Member
What is your problem? All you've done is try and justify dishonesty. It is obvious both me and the driver forgot about it and this is not exactly difficult to understand considering the long bus journey during rush hour. This doesn't detract from the fact that I'm still owe change by the company/driver.

Its not dishonest!! You left the shop without checking your change, mistakes cannot be rectified later. YOU were the one who forgot. Believe me, the driver has enough on controlling something 33 feet long and looking after the safety of 70 people without trying to remember which (of people getting off at some particular stop) he may owe change to.

If this post was in Fares Ticketing & Routeing and occurred on a train, there would be a lot more than me telling you to take responsibility for your own omissions.

So do you think I can go back to the restaurant I went to on saturday and ask for my change? You never answered this. Is it reasonable that the waiter who did our table kept my change instead of reporting it?

dzug2

You left the shop without checking your change, mistakes cannot be rectified later.

Legally that's a dubiously valid T&C - proving that the mistake occurred is the problem, whether by the shopkeeper or customer.

So do you think I can go back to the restaurant I went to on saturday and ask for my change? You never answered this. Is it reasonable that the waiter who did our table kept my change instead of reporting it?

In a restaurant, where tipping is customary, it's entirely reasonable for the waiter to assume it's that and keep it

Legally there is no obligation on any organisation to give change

34D

Established Member
In a restaurant, where tipping is customary, it's entirely reasonable for the waiter to assume it's that and keep it

Legally there is no obligation on any organisation to give change

This afternoon, a passenger put a chocolate bar on my cash tray..... was I to assume it was a gift, or assume it was lost property?

Statto

Established Member

Shops have notices up, always check your change when you receive it, as any errors cannot be redeemed later. To me the OP made the mistake in forgetting to ask the driver for the change when he got off, so can't see why he should get his money back, remember to ask the driver next time & if possible have some lose money ready next time you get on the bus.

beermaddavep

I must admit, as mentioned in an earlier post, I quite like the idea of drivers being able to issue ticket style 'credit notes' if they have insufficient change. These tickets could be then used as part payment for travel later on, exchanged for cash at a travel office or simply given back to the driver for cash when you get off, if he has accumulated enough.

Drivers float can certainly be a problem, in particular on express buses such as the X9/ X10 which I suspect the OP may have been on, since almost everbody tenders notes on these services. I know some drivers that carry a load of their own pound coins as float over and above the company issue.
I have also seen intending passengers refused travel because the driver had no change.

So, 'credit' tickets- good idea or utter wibble? :)

PS William hope you get your fiver back, i'm sure the driver just forgot too!

william

Established Member
Its not dishonest!! You left the shop without checking your change, mistakes cannot be rectified later. YOU were the one who forgot. Believe me, the driver has enough on controlling something 33 feet long and looking after the safety of 70 people without trying to remember which (of people getting off at some particular stop) he may owe change to.

If this post was in Fares Ticketing & Routeing and occurred on a train, there would be a lot more than me telling you to take responsibility for your own omissions.

They are both completely different situations and you know it. I didnt forget to check my change, it was the driver who said he would give me it when I got opff the bus.

34D

Established Member
So, 'credit' tickets- good idea or utter wibble? :)!

Unnecessary once ITSO with 'stored value' credit is fully onstream.

But a good idea, only for situations where change has run out (or possibly for dangerous routes).

People should _never_ be refused travel due to lack of change. In my view they should be carried free, or their £20 note taken with a request to see the driver when they get off for their change (ermmm).

Flying Snail

Established Member
They are both completely different situations and you know it. I didnt forget to check my change, it was the driver who said he would give me it when I got opff the bus.

And if you had gone to him rather than walking past you would have no doubt been given your change. Frankly I think you have some cheek to use the word dishonest in regards to this driver when you did not bother to make yourself known to him at the end of your journey.

I leave people short regularly with the instruction to ask for their change when they are getting off, it is just the way many of my routes are often even with a large float I will not have enough for certain fares. The fact is 90 minutes and dozens of fares later I cannot always recall which individual I owe money to, if they choose to walk away without pause then there is not much I can do about it, thankfully that is a rare occourence but it has happened.

Unnecessary once ITSO with 'stored value' credit is fully onstream.

But a good idea, only for situations where change has run out (or possibly for dangerous routes).

People should _never_ be refused travel due to lack of change. In my view they should be carried free,

No. That is one thing I refuse to ever do. Let certain elements know that tendering a large note may get them a free ride and they will be at it constantly. I have had the odd example of people trying it on and I don't let them away with it, if there really is no possibility of getting them change before their journey ends then ask for their name and address and tell them they can get their change from the nearest company office. 99% of the time the hand will go into the pocket and they will find they have some coin or small note on them.

34D

Established Member
No. That is one thing I refuse to ever do. Let certain elements know that tendering a large note may get them a free ride and they will be at it constantly.

Very fair comment. Taking the £20 at the start, then giving it back when they alight seems the best solution.

william

Established Member
And if you had gone to him rather than walking past you would have no doubt been given your change. Frankly I think you have some cheek to use the word dishonest in regards to this driver when you did not bother to make yourself known to him at the end of your journey.

I leave people short regularly with the instruction to ask for their change when they are getting off, it is just the way many of my routes are often even with a large float I will not have enough for certain fares. The fact is 90 minutes and dozens of fares later I cannot always recall which individual I owe money to, if they choose to walk away without pause then there is not much I can do about it, thankfully that is a rare occourence but it has happened.

No. That is one thing I refuse to ever do. Let certain elements know that tendering a large note may get them a free ride and they will be at it constantly. I have had the odd example of people trying it on and I don't let them away with it, if there really is no possibility of getting them change before their journey ends then ask for their name and address and tell them they can get their change from the nearest company office. 99% of the time the hand will go into the pocket and they will find they have some coin or small note on them.

I did not once call the bus driver concerned dishonest. Please ascertain the facts by reading the thread before accusing me of being cheeky. Unless you consider asking for advice on how to recoup my change cheeky?

Just to add, Go North East customer services said that my request would be looked into and a cheque would be issued. She advised a wait of 5-7 days. In my opinion, the difference with this case and that of checking mistakes in change from a shop is that both me and the driver knew the change was owed and to be collected later. It still remains that way....

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Very fair comment. Taking the £20 at the start, then giving it back when they alight seems the best solution.

So you propose taking £20 off them, not giving them a ticket and then give them the £20 back when they get off!

I can see any driver doing that becoming an ex-driver very quickly.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You used the word, if not aimed at the driver then who do you think has been dishonest in this matter?

Please read my posts for clarification and context.

What was the original title for this thread again?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What was the original title for this thread again?

I thought it was "Bus driver kept my change". Do correct me if I'm wrong.

This doesn't sem to imply dishonesty but is factually accurate - the bus driver did still have all the money the OP handed over.

Sure, the OP should have remembered to ask for it when they got off, but we're all fallible.

I'm fairly sure the only thing the OP has accused the driver of is being forgetful, something they too are guilty of.

34D

Established Member
So you propose taking £20 off them, not giving them a ticket and then give them the £20 back when they get off!

I can see any driver doing that becoming an ex-driver very quickly.

One would get in more trouble for not carrying the pax than for revenue being wrong. I would take the £20 on boarding, issue a ticket, then if no change at all return the £20 and void the ticket (but policies elsewhere could be very different).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have checked the change log and the original title was "Bus driver kept my change", so no mention of the word "dishonest" in there.

One would get in more trouble for not carrying the pax than for revenue being wrong. I would take the £20 on boarding, issue a ticket, then if no change at all return the £20 and void the ticket (but policies elsewhere could be very different).

I suspect his comment was tongue-in-cheek.

I am surprised that you can non-issue the ticket after all that time tbh. I thought non-issue could only occur before a specified number of tickets were issued after the ticket in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.