• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forgotten Railways series Volume 12 South West England, David and Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Forgotten Railways series Volume 12 South West England, David and Charles. Just asking if anyone has a copy of this edition for sale, its the last one I need for my collection.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
Did D&C ever plan to do a Forgotten Railways on London? Was the series stopped short, I wonder?

Was Vol 12 on the SW ever published - if so who was the author please?

Last edited:

Western Sunset

Established Member
Nick, I can't find any copies on the various web-based book sites. In the Chilterns & Cotswolds book in the series (2nd ed, 1984) it mentions two books in preparation: the one on the West Midlands (which was published) and another on South-West England by David St John Thomas. So there were definite plans for one.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Im confused. Didn't the OP suggest in 2017 said that they already had a copy.

Keith Jarrett

Forgotten Railways series Volume 12 South West England, David and Charles. Just asking if anyone has a copy of this edition for sale, its the last one I need for my collection.
shredder1 - I have sent you a PM

Did D&C ever plan to do a Forgotten Railways on London? Was the series stopped short, I wonder?

Was Vol 12 on the SW ever published - if so who was the author please?

Volume 12 was published in 1980 with a 2nd edition in 1994. Author was DSM Barrie although the 1994 edition was attributed to Mrs KM Barrie and Peter E Baughan. 2nd edition, which I have, was published by Thomas & Lochar

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks, Keith for the info.

Just wondering though, are we mixing-up Barries's book in the Regional History series - he wrote Vol 12 covering South Wales.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Yes you could be mixing them up Keith, the Forgotten Railways is the sister series to the Regional History series, Im inclined to thing number 12 in the series wasnt actually printed as per above.

These are the 2 series,

A Regional History of Railways in Great Britain.

Publishers; David St John Thomas.​

Volume 1 The West Country
Volume 2 Southern Region
Volume 3 Greater London
Volume 4 North East England
Volume 5 The Eastern Counties
Volume 6 Scotland
Volume 7 The West Midlands
Volume 8 South and West Yorkshire
Volume 9 The East Midlands
Volume 10 The North West
Volume 11 North and Mid Wales
Volume 12 South Wales
Volume 13 Thames and Severn
Volume 14 The Lake Counties
Volume 15 The North of Scotland
Volume 16 Ireland

The Forgotten Railway Series
David and Charles

Forgotten Railways, Main Volume HP White

Volume 1 North East England
Volume 2 East Midlands
Volume 3 Chilterns and Cotswolds
Volume 4 North and Mid Wales
Volume 5 Scotland
Volume 6 South East England
Volume 7 East Anglia
Volume 8 South Wales
Volume 9 North West England
Volume 10 The West Midlands
Volume 11 Severn Valley & Welsh Borders
Volume 12 South West England, (this one may not have been printed)?

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Volume 12 South West England, (this one may not have been printed)?
Still confused. Were you mistaken in January 2017 when you indicated that you already had a copy of this title? (Link below).

shredder1

Established Member
Still confused. Were you mistaken in January 2017 when you indicated that you already had a copy of this title? (Link below).

Lol, I certainly get confused these days, I think it comes with age, no I dont have number 12 of Forgotten Railways, (if it exists), it was just posted as part of the list but not underlined, which reposting took off you see, but thanks for reading my book list, its grown a bit since then, despite fighting it all the way.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Had a similar problem a few months ago when trying to track down a copy of "Lost Stations of North Wales" by Paul Wright. There was an ISBN number for it, a picture of the front cover of the book on "Amazon" and an online bookseller in Germany supposedly even had a copy for sale, albeit nowhere else apparently did. Eventually managed to make contact with the intending author who confirmed that the title had never actually made it to print.

shredder1

Established Member
Had a similar problem a few months ago when trying to track down a copy of "Lost Stations of North Wales" by Paul Wright. There was an ISBN number for it, a picture of the front cover of the book on "Amazon" and an online bookseller in Germany supposedly even had a copy for sale, albeit nowhere else apparently did. Eventually managed to make contact with the intending author who confirmed that the title had never actually made it to print.

Yes its annoying when that happens, then again you can be vey lucky and find a rarer book were you wouldnt expect it. Theres lots of railway books out there but some you never see. Short print runs mainly.

Western Sunset

Established Member
On another track, ahem, the "Regional Railway Handbooks" (also by D&C) was announced as a "major new series".

Am I right in thinking that only two were ever published? Vol 1 was on the East Midlands and Vol 2 on East Anglia.

Status
Not open for further replies.