• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Darandio

Established Member
Question about the halo things (I’m only an occasional watcher of F1 and haven’t followed it closely since Gilles Villeneuve died). Why is the piece anchoring the halo to the car dead centre in front of the driver? Surely it would be better to have two of them, each at say 30 degrees from straight ahead, so the driver’s forward vision isn’t impaired?

The vision isn't impaired at all, after the initial period of getting used to it for a few laps you cannot even see it ahead of you.

This above is exactly what drivers had said after it was introduced. Drive any racing simulator that has the halo implemented, you see the exact same effect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Question about the halo things (I’m only an occasional watcher of F1 and haven’t followed it closely since Gilles Villeneuve died). Why is the piece anchoring the halo to the car dead centre in front of the driver? Surely it would be better to have two of them, each at say 30 degrees from straight ahead, so the driver’s forward vision isn’t impaired?

Binocular vision means that they can in effect see around it, in the same way that if you hold your hand up to the nose side on you can see past it. Two pillars would make it far harder to see into corners and whilst battling with other cars

In other (slightly oddly timed news) Mick Schumacher has now been announced at Haas as well

DarloRich

Veteran Member
two bits of F1 news. The first is a little bit of a surprise while the second has been touted for a while

BBC: Sakhir Grand Prix: British driver George Russell to replace Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes in Bahrain.....Williams reserve Jack Aitken will replace Russell.

and

BBC: Mick Schumacher, the son of seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael, has signed to race for Haas next season.

najaB

Veteran Member
The single post, directly in front is less of an impediment than two posts would be. After all, the greatest risk of collision isn't with a car directly in front of you but rather with the wing hitting the rear wheels of the car you're trying to overtake - which would be more or less 30° either side of straight ahead.

Edit: Explained much more clearly by @Darandio and @Domh245 - it pays to read to the end of the thread. :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
He has an effing girl's name which is wrong - then again he is Russian! I had to look him up as F1 is apparently allowing women to race very soon and I wondered whether this was an opportunity.

What on earth are you talking about? Women have always been allowed to race in F1. Few have, but there has been no ban. 5 have entered. 2 have qualified and started. One has won points. There have also been a number of female test/development drivers. I think Williams have one this season.

Geezertronic

Established Member
What on earth are you talking about? Women have always been allowed to race in F1. Few have, but there has been no ban. 5 have entered. 2 have qualified and started. One has won points. There have also been a number of female test/development drivers. I think Williams have one this season.

And Susie Woolf (wife of Toto) used to be a Development & Test driver for Williams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_Formula_One_drivers for the previous poster

D365

Veteran Member
If he does well, especially if he gets a win, it makes him much more marketable for Williams next year.
All it would do for Williams is make everyone more aware that he's a Mercedes driver in waiting!

D365

Veteran Member
But he's only on loan at Williams so is a Mercedes driver in waiting!
I know, I'm pointing out (in reply to @birchesgreen) that Russell winning a race in a car that isn't a Williams, wouldn't do much for the Williams team in terms of publicity.

two bits of F1 news. The first is a little bit of a surprise while the second has been touted for a while

Not a huge shock, it was only ever between Vandoorne and Russell.

Correct, Jamie Chadwick (the W Series champion) is a development driver. Very strange post. Would one accuse her of having a "male" name?

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Oh well I'm young so I wouldn't remember any of that. I would love to see F1 be more Male-female competitive. On a side note, wonder if Mick will adopt the passive aggressive attitude of his undoubtedly very successful father. I had much respect for Michael Snr after he retired.

D365

Veteran Member
If you say so, but it will raise his profile and name recognition.
Exactly, for Russell it's his golden opportunity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Russell scores those elusive first points, and that Aitken is at least able to match Latifi.

birchesgreen

Established Member
And next year Williams marketing people will approach potential clients, they'll have a much more notable name to help them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh well I'm young so I wouldn't remember any of that. I would love to see F1 be more Male-female competitive. On a side note, wonder if Mick will adopt the passive aggressive attitude of his undoubtedly very successful father. I had much respect for Michael Snr after he retired.

I ma not THAT old you cheeky so and so ;) THe bigger question is WHY there are so few female drivers or drivers from ethnic minorities.

Exactly, for Russell it's his golden opportunity.

A good showing and he moves up the pecking order for the next seat. He has done comparatively well in a rubbish Williams and constantly beaten his team mate in qualification and races. There is still a hint Williams might dump him for next season which seems mad!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I ma not THAT old you cheeky so and so ;) THe bigger question is WHY there are so few female drivers or drivers from ethnic minorities.

A good showing and he moves up the pecking order for the next seat. He has done comparatively well in a rubbish Williams and constantly beaten his team mate in qualification and races. There is still a hint Williams might dump him for next season which seems mad!

I am old enough to remember Williams actually winning and not coming around eighth and ninth place :lol:

greatvoyager

Established Member
It looks like the role of reserve driver at Mercedes seems a bit pointless.
Having said that, I’m looking forward to seeing what Russell can do.

D365

Veteran Member
It looks like the role of reserve driver at Mercedes seems a bit pointless.
Not as pointless as Davide Valsecchi at Lotus in 2013, where they passed him over at least twice as Kimi Räikkönen's late season replacement!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Youngsters. Remember Fittipaldi grand-père winning a championship and seeing Lella Lombardi racing. Also remember Niki Lauda's crash at the Nürburgring, which made last Sunday very uncomfortable indeed.

The 2013 film Rush gave a great idea of what it must have been like for Lauda in 1976.

D365

Veteran Member
Speaking of...

A very interesting read on how a modern F1 helmet is designed to protect a driver from smoke inhalation.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Not as pointless as Davide Valsecchi at Lotus in 2013, where they passed him over at least twice as Kimi Räikkönen's late season replacement!
That’s a good point, but slightly different as Davide, from memory, had never entered an F1 Grand Prix, whereas Stoffel has two seasons experience.

D365

Veteran Member
That’s a good point, but slightly different as Davide, from memory, had never entered an F1 Grand Prix, whereas Stoffel has two seasons experience.
It was a rather tongue-in-cheek reply. I think Vandoorne would have been more likely to fill in at Mercedes if Hamilton had tested positive on a Thursday, rather than a Monday.