• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Jenson has (re)joined Williams as a Senior Adviser
The move takes Button back to the team that gave him his Formula 1 debut in 2000, before he went on to become 2009 world champion and win 15 grands prix.
Button, 40, said Williams' role in his career and the "history and heritage" meant they were "close to my heart".

He said: "I am going to do my part to help the team back to the front. I can't wait to spend time with the drivers and the staff."

Williams were bought out by investment group Dorilton Capital last summer, and founder Sir Frank Williams and his family are no longer involved. The team are going through a restructuring aimed at reviving their fortunes after three seasons of finishing last in the championship.

New chief executive officer Jost Capito, who starts with the team next month, said: "Bringing Jenson back on board is another positive step to help us move forward as a team, both on and off track.

greatvoyager

Established Member

Well it gives options on both sides it might be a convenient point to call it a day with the new regs especially if he manages an 8th championship although I dont think it's a given this year I think the competition will be stronger. I expect Russell will be at Merc in 2022 to replace one of them and expect Russell will be much cheaper salary wise than Hamilton. However of course yes Russell is a fast driver who would win races in a Merc but the world championship is of course about consistency, minimising mistakes and the best damage limitation in a difficult race, these are things Hamilton has which can make the difference.

I think if Lewis want's to drive for Merc in 2022 he might have to accept a lower salary although with the Diversity foundation they are setting up suggests a long term role in the Merc team after retirement, of course another team could throw in a curve ball with a big offer

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lewis has signed ... only for a year (by mutual request)

I guess with the upcoming rule changes it allows both sides to keep their options open.

Something to do with a sponsor? Maybe they meant Walsall?

NEXT ON SKY SPORTS NEWS:

LIVE from Bescot we bring you the unveiling of the new West Midlands F1 powered by Lada & Smiths rendered animal fats challenger for the 2022 season....................

RichT54

Sounds like an interesting idea:

Formula 1 bosses are to discuss a new proposal to introduce shorter 'sprint' races in an attempt to increase entertainment levels this season.

Teams and bosses will vote on Thursday on a plan for a shorter race on Saturday, which would define the grid for Sunday's grand prix.
Qualifying for the Saturday race would take place on Friday.

The top eight drivers in the 'sprint' race would earn approximately half the points awarded for the grand prix.

The 'sprint' race would be about 100km - a third the length of a grand prix - and would replace qualifying, which takes place on Saturday afternoon or evening.

Qualifying for the sprint race would replace second practice, which is on Friday afternoon or evening.

The plan - the latest in a series of attempts to introduce sprint races in some form on Saturdays - is to be discussed at a meeting of the F1 Commission of senior figures.

To be passed, it needs a total of 28 out of 30 votes. Governing body the FIA and commercial rights holder F1 have 10 each, and the 10 teams one apiece.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55992727

GB

Established Member
The teams will vote that down. It becomes too expensive (particularly now there is a cost cap) and adds risk for the Sunday race. It also won't do anything to reduce a certain team dominance as Merc will still more than likely win the sprint race and main race.

najaB

Veteran Member
It could, but then would substantially increase costs which is the opposite direction F1 seem to want to go at the moment.
It would increase costs, but I doubt substantially since they wouldn't be preparing three cars all ready to race, they would prepare two cars as normal and bring the chassis and engine for a third so that they can rebuild a crashed car overnight on Saturday.

They normally have a chassis or two back at the factory anyway, the cost of bringing three rather than two isn't going to be *that* high.