• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

greatvoyager

Established Member
Overall I don't think it'd have an impact. I don't think that the track time over a race weekend would significantly increase, so there's no reason to believe that wear would be increased either. How the FIA treat the sprint races for engine allocation will be interesting to see however
Fair enough, will be really interesting to see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Have Aston Martin confirmed their livery yet?

They had their livery reveal today, picture from the Sky Sports F1 page.

skysports-aston-martin-f1-2021_5291388.jpg

Along with Aston Martin's and Haas's car launches in the last 24 hours: VW Group are considering entrying Formula 1 under either Porsche or Audi in 2025, when the next Engine regs come into force!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Along with Aston Martin's and Haas's car launches in the last 24 hours: VW Group are considering entrying Formula 1 under either Porsche or Audi in 2025, when the next Engine regs come into force!
Please don't be I4s. I'd rather keep the V6s until the inevitable switch to hydrogen. Also Porsche have an up to regulation V6 sitting around somewhere because they were actually going to enter before Dieselgate. Also VW almost gave us I4s in 2014 but Mercedes managed to get the FIA to go for the V6.

najaB

Veteran Member
Please don't be I4s. I'd rather keep the V6s until the inevitable switch to hydrogen.
I'd be surprised to see them go to an inline 4 arrangement. V6's are still quite common in the performance automotive market, though inline 6s are starting to gain traction as well.

Domh245

Established Member
It'd be surprising to see inline engines of whatever length in F1 - Vs are much more suited from a structural view

najaB

Veteran Member
It'd be surprising to see inline engines of whatever length in F1 - Vs are much more suited from a structural view
Rotary engines would be interesting: super compact, almost unlimited top end, and spectacular blowups when they get things wrong. ;)

Wow, talk of engines and engines in the 2025 regs. F1 will go electric. There is absolutely no benefit to a manufacturer to do any R&D on an internal combustion engine or gearbox. There is just no avenue for the technology to trickle down and anyone buying a new car would see relevance of ICE technology like Freightliner would looking at a Steam Engine.

Darandio

Established Member
Wow, talk of engines and engines in the 2025 regs. F1 will go electric. There is absolutely no benefit to a manufacturer to do any R&D on an internal combustion engine or gearbox. There is just no avenue for the technology to trickle down and anyone buying a new car would see relevance of ICE technology like Freightliner would looking at a Steam Engine.

Yes there is, e-fuels. That is the future of F1 in the foreseeable and what they have committed to.

najaB

Veteran Member
There is absolutely no benefit to a manufacturer to do any R&D on an internal combustion engine or gearbox.
I wouldn't say that there is no benefit at all. While the general automobile market is going electric, high-performance vehicles will continue to be hybrid for the foreseeable future. And let's face it, that's the market that F1 is aimed at.

Domh245

Established Member
I wouldn't say that there is no benefit at all. While the general automobile market is going electric, high-performance vehicles will continue to be hybrid for the foreseeable future. And let's face it, that's the market that F1 is aimed at.

(there's also a fairly significant market for non-BEVs outside of the developed world which especially lack the grid infrastructure for them. Whilst not as much of a market for F1 teams, it's another way in which ICEs will continue to stick around for a bit)

Domh245

Established Member
The FIA yesterday revealed the findings, into Grosjean’s Crash at Bahrain 2020 and showed he suffered a 67G impact - 13G higher than originally stated.

The fact he got out alive, is nothing short of extraordinary in every way

greatvoyager

Established Member
The FIA yesterday revealed the findings, into Grosjean’s Crash at Bahrain 2020 and showed he suffered a 67G impact - 13G higher than originally stated.

The fact he got out alive, is nothing short of extraordinary in every way
That is miraculous, I still can’t believe he survived it.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Yes he's a very lucky chap to still be alive at all. IIRC Merc offered him a shot of a drive in their car as he expressed a desire for the crash not to be his last memory of being in an F1 car - anyone know if that's still on the cards?
As of 22nd February, it was being finalised...

Also, looks like Silverstone will hold a sprint race...

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Also, looks like Silverstone will hold a sprint race...
Unfortunately the plan is to have qualifying for the sprint race on the Friday - which cuts into practice time. I would prefer that they did something radical like a reverse grid based on points.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the plan is to have qualifying for the sprint race on the Friday - which cuts into practice time. I would prefer that they did something radical like a reverse grid based on points.

I would prefer they made cars refuel but have the fuel released as in the garage: only when Kevin has finished texting his mate or scratching his backside. The drivers should also have to get out and pay. Bonus points could be awarded for landing on a round 0 in your fuel cost window.

I think its a great idea to have the sprint race at Silverstone, and with the British weather potential to liven things up could be great, and more interest for potential spectators on the Saturday. Plus of course its also the one race in the year now we get live on terrestrial TV.

DelW

Established Member
I would prefer they made cars refuel but have the fuel released as in the garage: only when Kevin has finished texting his mate or scratching his backside. The drivers should also have to get out and pay. Bonus points could be awarded for landing on a round 0 in your fuel cost window.
With all teams having their tyres changed by Kwikfit*. A random number of drivers in each race would find when they stopped that there were only three tyres of the right type available.

*Other tyre companies are available, please insert name of your choice if preferred.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
With all teams having their tyres changed by Kwikfit*. A random number of drivers in each race would find when they stopped that there were only three tyres of the right type available.

*Other tyre companies are available, please insert name of your choice if preferred.

*Anyone but Kwikfit, who I find to be universally excellent!

SteveM70

Established Member
With all teams having their tyres changed by Kwikfit*. A random number of drivers in each race would find when they stopped that there were only three tyres of the right type available

And with the drivers having to find the locking wheel nut, which will be in the glovebox along with sweet wrappers, parking tickets, a chamois leather and something sticky and unidentifiable

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Nah mate - cant fit you in until next Tuesday. ;)