• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
Good win by Max (despite his near miss on the rolling restart after the red flag), but Hamilton was incredibly lucky to get 2nd. The red flag caused by the Bottas/Russell accident allowed all lapped runners (including Hamilton) to unlap themselves which effectively gave Hamilton a 1m 20sec (essentially 1 lap) catch-up following his earlier accident before the red flag which resulted in him having to pit for a new nose & tyres.

Norris had another stellar race coming 3rd, Ricciardo should realise he has some serious competition now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good win by Max (despite his near miss on the rolling restart after the red flag), but Hamilton was incredibly lucky to get 2nd. The red flag caused by the Bottas/Russell accident allowed all lapped runners (including Hamilton) to unlap themselves which effectively gave Hamilton a 1m 20sec (essentially 1 lap) catch-up following his earlier accident before the red flag which resulted in him having to pit for a new nose & tyres.

Norris had another stellar race coming 3rd, Ricciardo should realise he has some serious competition now.

By the same token Verstappen only won thanks to a slow pit stop and a rare Hamilton error. Hamilton also tired and failed to bully/intimidate him out of the way at the start which in my book was the most significant point in all this. Hamilton, at the start of the race, gets away with that usually by looking like he is prepared to crash to keep/win the place! Verstappen held his nerve and forced him off damaging the car.

greatvoyager

Established Member
By the same token Verstappen only won thanks to a slow pit stop and a rare Hamilton error. Hamilton also tired and failed to bully/intimidate him out of the way at the start which in my book was the most significant point in all this. Hamilton, at the start of the race, gets away with that usually by looking like he is prepared to crash to keep/win the place! Verstappen held his nerve and forced him off damaging the car.
It was one of the more entertaining races I’ve seen.

Hamilton also tired and failed to bully/intimidate him out of the way at the start which in my book was the most significant point in all this.
I don't see that frankly it was just hard racing which any of the hard racers including Verstappen would do, I certainly don't think it justified a penalty, what might have been a bit more questionable although I don't know whether there is anything in the rules about it presumably not, is the fact that Hamilton reversed out of the gravel trap onto the track.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't see that frankly it was just hard racing which any of the hard racers including Verstappen would do, I certainly don't think it justified a penalty, what might have been a bit more questionable although I don't know whether there is anything in the rules about it presumably not, is the fact that Hamilton reversed out of the gravel trap onto the track.

I agree - that is exactly what I mean. Hamilton tried to be aggressive. He usually gets away with it as the other guy blinks. Verstappen didn't. It was good racing that we need more of. I am certain Perez thought he was about to inherit the lead mind!

Domh245

Established Member
what might have been a bit more questionable although I don't know whether there is anything in the rules about it presumably not, is the fact that Hamilton reversed out of the gravel trap onto the track.

Nothing in the rules against reversing on a live track, so long as you do it safely (which he did, I expect part of the wait for him to rejoin was for his race engineer to find a gap in traffic for him to reverse into) - it's only reversing in the pitlane that's absolutely forbidden

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
but Hamilton was incredibly lucky to get 2nd.
Indeed, although if the cars weren't such boats (Merc powered cars are the worst for this, they have a gigantic wheelbase), Hamilton would've had room to still turn around.
Don't count your chickens yet, Norris is an early season merchant.

Domh245

Established Member
Don't count your chickens yet, Norris is an early season merchant.

Not only that but RIC will still be adapting to the car (as are most drivers who've changed teams/(re)joined the grid - with the limited testing in Bahrain and cut down practice time over the weekend). Should shape up to be an exciting fight later in the season

najaB

Veteran Member
Agreed - Thought Russell lost it after causing a big accident. Think the red mist descended!
You really have to wonder what he was thinking. I don't see how he could have managed to get it slowed down for the corner.

JamesT

Established Member
You really have to wonder what he was thinking. I don't see how he could have managed to get it slowed down for the corner.
It was pretty much the same place that Hamilton managed multiple overtakes at. If Russell had managed to stay on the track, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have been able to make that corner.

najaB

Veteran Member
It was pretty much the same place that Hamilton managed multiple overtakes at.
I haven't seen the whole race but I thought Russel was (a) further down the track; and (b) quite a bit faster than Hamilton had been.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Not only that but RIC will still be adapting to the car (as are most drivers who've changed teams/(re)joined the grid - with the limited testing in Bahrain and cut down practice time over the weekend). Should shape up to be an exciting fight later in the season
I think Norris vs Ricciardo is one of the most exciting teammate battles.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Depending on the device you're watching on, there may be an option to adjust the position of the subtitles. So you can get it to cover up something even more important. :)

Standard freeview telly... I've never seen one with the choice of subtitle position.

Non Multi

The Monaco Historic GP event is this weekend (25th April). The free web livestream is being shown on the Goodwood GRRC and SkyF1 YouTube Channels as well as Eurosport player.

Sunday morning races:
7.55am 1961 F1/F2 cars
9am Pre WWII GP cars
10am 1961-1965 F1
11.15am 1966-1972 F1

Sunday afternoon races:
1pm 1952-1957 sportscars
2pm 1973-1976 F1
3.25pm 1977-1980 F1

Established Member
On the evidence of today's Formula E race I don't think F1 has much to fear from electric racing any time soon.

(More than half the field ran out of energy)

najaB

Veteran Member
On the evidence of today's Formula E race I don't think F1 has much to fear from electric racing any time soon.

In the old days of F1 it wasn't uncommon for cars to run out of fuel.

Plus ça change.

D365

Veteran Member

The farce was down to an artificial cap (1kWh removed per safety car lap) and not a shortcoming of the cars themselves.

Domh245

Established Member

Worth noting that they didn't actually run out of energy, there was plenty left in the batteries. "usable energy" gets taken away from the Fe cars during safety cars & full course yellows to ensure that energy management remains a part of the race strategy (analogous to F1 reducing the amount of fuel that is allowed to be used), but a combination of a late, long safety car, after 4 previous SC periods, and going one lap longer than most anticipated, on a track with high consumption in the first place meant that most of the field went over their allowance during the last lap. Farcical, yes, but that's more on the rather poor rule set & management of the championship than car shortcomings

Established Member
I thought that it was down to an artificial cap (1kW removed per safety car lap) and not a shortcoming of the cars themselves.

I think it's 1kw per minute, but yes. But the net result is that most of the electric cars ran out before the chequered flag. Why anyone promoting electric cars thinks it's a good idea to make up rules to increase the likelihood of running out is a mystery, especially as if you don't know the rules it does simply look like they couldn't last the distance. Particularly embarrassing it happened on the very rare occasion they used a permanent circuit as well.

Similar things have happened in Formula 1 in the past, but back in the 80s the teams had much less data on the state of the cars than they do now. It's inconceivable that this situation could arise in modern F1.

PG

Established Member
Similar things have happened in Formula 1 in the past, but back in the 80s the teams had much less data on the state of the cars than they do now. It's inconceivable that this situation could arise in modern F1.
I seem to recall an incident in the past few years when a faulty fuel rig meant a car on circuit with less fuel on-board than the team anticipated. I can't remember if it was during qualifying or the race, no doubt someone will be able to fill in the details...

Established Member
The cars themselves are pretty good, the energy cap needs to be changed.

Doing some numbers on this. As I understand it the cars have 52kwh available at the start of the race. There were 19 minutes of safety cars, 1kwh per minute is taken off for time behind the safety car, so 52-19=33kwh. The winning time was 48 minutes something so 29 minutes of racing (IMO too little for a World Championship race anyway).

So they had 33kwh for 29 minutes of racing plus 19 minutes behind the safety car. So unless they used less than 2kwh in 19 minutes of safety car the energy reduction was greater than the energy they would have used at racing speed (31/29 < 1+2/19)? I know they go slowly but is the energy saving really that much? Especially around a much more open circuit than Formula E is used to?

Last edited: