• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

najaB

Veteran Member
I thought they only had to supply engines if another team were unable to and they were supplying the fewest teams? Hence Renault would have had to supply engines to Red Bull if they hadn't sorted out their own engine and given Renault only supply their own team whereas Red Bull will be supplying two, that would surely leave Renault having to supply engines?
Ah, yes. I forgot that Renault weren't supplying anyone else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

So just after being announced, the Turkish Grand Prix is off

Just a few weeks after the Turkey event was announced as being slotted into the schedule to replace Canada, F1 chiefs have had to change plans again.

The fate of the Istanbul race was thrown into doubt when the British government added Turkey on to a list of red zone countries that required all returnees to face two weeks of hotel quarantine.

najaB

Veteran Member
So just after being announced, the Turkish Grand Prix is off
Yeah, adding Turkey to the Red List was the writing on the wall. As they said, asking the whole team to be away from home for six weeks was too much - both financially and from a work/life balance point of view.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Can I recommend following Danish F4 (home to Juju Noda) and the exploits of F5 driver Mads Hoe.
Mads Hoe overhauled Juju Noda to snatch pole position for the Danish Formula 4 season-opener at Padborg Park.

The 20-minute session marked the first official running of the 2021 season, following pre-season testing earlier in the week.

Early in the session, it was car racing debutant Emerson Fittipaldi Jr who set the quickest times, with the FSP Racing driver narrowly ahead of Noda with the rest of the field further back in the order.

Noda then took her turn at the top and looked set to continue her run of pole positions in the championship that stretched through the shortened 2020 season.

Hoe, driving for his own team Mads Hoe Motorsport, then topped the session with his penultimate lap to go quickest by just under two-tenths of a second.

D365

Veteran Member
good to see that Noda is doing well!

New post 23/05:

By Monaco standards, that was an ok race.

Last edited:

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
A shocker from Mercedes. Verstappen now leading the drivers championship and Redbull I think are leading the contructors.

I thought Perez would really struggle after qualifying but he had a brilliant race and only reason he didn't end up on the podium is that its impossible to overtake at Monaco.

Vettel was superb as well, rolling back the years. In fact a great weekend for Aston Martin in general.

I feel for Leclerc, but ultimately it was his own fault for crashing in qualifying, if he hadn't, a good chance he would have won the race.

christopher

Strange why Ferrari just didn't go ahead and take the penalty which presumably would have found the damaged driveshaft last night instead of leaving further checks until the morning of the race.

GB

Established Member
Strange why Ferrari just didn't go ahead and take the penalty which presumably would have found the damaged driveshaft last night instead of leaving further checks until the morning of the race.

The data they had at the time suggested the gear box was ok, it was only then when under load before the race that the full issues were then known. Hindsight is very easy.

JamesT

Established Member

I don’t think it was a matter of putting off checks, but all the checks they could do short of actually running the car on the track showed it was fine. So it was definitely getting a five place deduction versus having a car that looked good to go.

najaB

Veteran Member
Rumor is that Russel will replace Bottas at Mercedes from next year.

Domh245

Established Member
Rumor is that Russel will replace Bottas at Mercedes from next year.

That rumour has been going since the start of the season, if not earlier. Indeed, quite possibly since Bottas and Russell's last contracts were signed in 2020!

najaB

Veteran Member
That rumour has been going since the start of the season, if not earlier. Indeed, quite possibly since Bottas and Russell's last contracts were signed in 2020!
Indeed. But this is the first time I've seen someone claim that the deal has been done/contracts have been signed! I suppose I should have worded it "will be replacing".

greatvoyager

Established Member
Indeed. But this is the first time I've seen someone claim that the deal has been done/contracts have been signed! I suppose I should have worded it "will be replacing".
Considering the way Toto seems to throw Valtteri under the bus by claiming he had some fault in the Monaco pit stop, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is happening.

najaB

Veteran Member
Considering the way Toto seems to throw Valtteri under the bus by claiming he had some fault in the Monaco pit stop, I wouldn’t be surprised if this is happening.
Yeah, it did seem strange that he even mentioned that Bottas had stopped long - I mean, it's not like the mechanics don't have to deal with that all the time.

JohnMcL7

Coulthard thinks Bottas' reluctance to move over for Hamilton in Spain suggested Bottas had been told they weren't keeping him on. I thought it was odd they blamed Bottas' on that pitstop since I can't recall seeing that happen so badly before and I've seen drivers further out of position, I assumed it was a machining fault somewhere.

The Singapore Grand Prix is the lastest race to be cancelled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57360662

The Singapore Grand Prix has been called off this year and Formula 1 is assessing its options to replace the race, BBC Sport can reveal.

F1 and the Singapore authorities agreed it will not be possible to hold the event in the context of immigration restrictions in the city state.
Other races later in 2021 could also fall prey to the coronavirus pandemic.

Turkey, China and a second race at Austin in the USA are all under consideration as replacements.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Obviously never been, it's awesome.
Whilst I’ve not been to the Monaco Grand Prix, I wouldn’t deny that it is awesome to watch in person as I imagine it’s quite the spectacle. What it doesn’t produce however is an exciting race because opportunities for overtakes and general racing are few and far between. The size of the current cars means it’s primarily just a high speed precession.

D365

Veteran Member
I’m a Hamilton fan but that was beyond heartbreaking for Verstappen. I sure hope that the championship won’t be decided by the points lost at Baku.

Will be nice to (hopefully) see Perez and Vettel on the podium - interesting to think that they (with Hamilton) are becoming a reasonably frequent trio.

Domh245

Established Member
I’m a Hamilton fan but that was beyond heartbreaking for Verstappen. I sure hope that the championship won’t be decided by the points lost at Baku.

Will be nice to (hopefully) see Perez and Vettel on the podium - interesting to think that they (with Hamilton) are becoming a reasonably frequent trio.

Well, fortune finally turned on Lew Lew, though that does at least resolve any championship worries. A most unexpected podium!

Combined with a poor showing from Bottas, a real weekend to forget from Mercedes