• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
The TV direction was shocking in Miami.
...and that, ladies & gentlemen, sums up the Miami GP - this is all we've got to mention after the race!

As an aside I managed to catch a wee bit of the F1TV pre-race show and was surprised to hear Ben Edwards on the commentary. I'd (mistakenly) thought he was retiring when he left Channel 4, so did F1TV make him a better offer or did he leave C4 before he was pushed...?

birchesgreen

Established Member
It wasn't the worst race i've seen, though seen a lot better and much of the entertainment was after the SC.

I loved the fake marina :lol: i wonder if Miami will become like the US version of the Monaco GP, not a great race but a glamour and glitz fest.

The carts taking the drivers to the podium was a bit weird. I shudder to think what they'll do in Las Vegas, maybe Roman chariots will take the drivers to a podium set up in a strip club.

PG

Established Member
Best part of the race was Martin’s grid walk and Ted’s notebook.
Brundle might as well have been on the moon for the amount of pre-race info gleaned! IIRC he only managed to get a few sentences from Christian Horner and that was only by sharing with DC. Not his fault but that grid was really too crowded for even the spotters to see where the drivers were let alone for him to reach them.

I loved the fake marina :lol:
Just looked tacky IMO. If you're going to have a fake marina why not splash (pun intended!) a few dollars and dig a large pond which you could then fill with actual water instead of some daft imitation lino. Sure Austin may have that tall tower and cowboy hats a plenty but it doesn't feel the need to resort to obvious gimmicks to stage a GP.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Just looked tacky IMO. If you're going to have a fake marina why not splash (pun intended!) a few dollars and dig a large pond which you could then fill with actual water instead of some daft imitation lino. Sure Austin may have that tall tower and cowboy hats a plenty but it doesn't feel the need to resort to obvious gimmicks to stage a GP.

To be honest it being tacky was what i loved about it, so ridiculous but somehow really apt for that venue.

GB

Established Member
Brundle might as well have been on the moon for the amount of pre-race info gleaned! IIRC he only managed to get a few sentences from Christian Horner and that was only by sharing with DC. Not his fault but that grid was really too crowded for even the spotters to see where the drivers were let alone for him to reach them.
It not always just about gaining more race information but also the comedy value of how he interacts with posers and him not always knowing who he is talking too.

PG

Established Member
To be honest it being tacky was what i loved about it, so ridiculous but somehow really apt for that venue.
Yes well I suppose it goes with the national that gave us Mickey mouse seeing as how we use that as slang for something which looks cheap!

It not always just about gaining more race information but also the comedy value of how he interacts with posers and him not always knowing who he is talking too.

I'm just too old fashioned then, even if Martin Brundle is older than me. I'm sure he'd rather be gleaming nuggets of F1 info than what last Sunday's grid walk turned into. If I wanted to watch comedy I'd have picked a different channel...

Howardh

Established Member
Haven't watched his Question Time appearance yet so don't know if he commented upon any, err, 'nuances' of our railway system...
No, but did on energy and the NI protocol "Brexit". Seemed a bit lost by it all, but his thoughts on Germany relying for years on gas from Russia were interesting, and with the NI protocol he suggested isn't an EU problem, it's a Brexit problem and those charged with Brexit should sort it.

Nice as it was to see him on UK TV, it was a bizarre choice; there was no relevance to the programme. If one of the questions had been about road safety or something..."is there anything we can learn from F1 to make cars (and trains?) safer for the drivers, passengers and pedestrians?"

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking like Mercedes have made good progress in sorting their aero problems. Will be interesting to see if Russell is still outperforming Hamilton...
Could easily have been 3&4 without late engine problems…

najaB

Veteran Member
Looking like Mercedes have made good progress in sorting their aero problems. Will be interesting to see if Russell is still outperforming Hamilton...
Russel's result was better, but I'd say that Hamilton was quite a bit quicker.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Yes they are fighting for third best team now with Alfa Romeo, McLaren and Haas.

What a crazy season this is! :lol:
Mercedes is easily quicker although McLaren I think is only fighting with Alfa Romeo because Bottas is outdriving that car and so is Magnussen with the Haas. It will become less crazy once Verstappen build a point lead by winning all the races and Leclerc comes unstuck. Sainz doesn't have the consistency in pace to be a WC. Sad but I wish we could see Sainz hold up better.

PG

Established Member
Mercedes is easily quicker although McLaren I think is only fighting with Alfa Romeo because Bottas is outdriving that car and so is Magnussen with the Haas. It will become less crazy once Verstappen build a point lead by winning all the races and Leclerc comes unstuck. Sainz doesn't have the consistency in pace to be a WC. Sad but I wish we could see Sainz hold up better.
Sainz seems to be following the Ricciardo road to nowhere. Maybe they need a cup of whatever Perez has been drinking though he'll be hurting after being shunted out of the way for Verstappen. Hindsight is wonderful but I can't help feeling both Sainz and Ricviardo would have been happier at their previous teams unlike Bottas who is driving his socks off!

Russel's result was better, but I'd say that Hamilton was quite a bit quicker.
Russell's racecraft was impressive as was Alonso's - 20th to 9th.

All in all a way better Spanish GP then we've had for many a year 8-)

D365

Veteran Member
Sarcastic? Why so?

I posted before the race, it seems now the Mercedes are clear in 3rd and catching up.
Even before Spain it was clear that Mercedes would stay on top of AR/McLaren/Haas. It helps that each of the latter three teams is only really fighting with one driver.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well i'm not sure it was that clear considering not that long Mercedes publicly said they were not sure what was wrong with their design but anyway they obviously worked it out in the end.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Sainz seems to be following the Ricciardo road to nowhere. Maybe they need a cup of whatever Perez has been drinking though he'll be hurting after being shunted out of the way for Verstappen. Hindsight is wonderful but I can't help feeling both Sainz and Ricviardo would have been happier at their previous teams unlike Bottas who is driving his socks off!

Perez probably isn't hurting very much. He's got a seat in Red Bull for at least 5 years, Verstappen won't let him go anywhere after his heroics in fighting off Hamilton, and he won't have anything better on offer anyway.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Perez probably isn't hurting very much. He's got a seat in Red Bull for at least 5 years, Verstappen won't let him go anywhere after his heroics in fighting off Hamilton, and he won't have anything better on offer anyway.

Yes its true, Perez will be disappointed but second seat at RB is better than pretty much anywhere else and if something did happen to Verstappen like an injury or illness for a few races Perez would be the one who got the push and potentially to WDC.

PG

Established Member
Yes its true, Perez will be disappointed but second seat at RB is better than pretty much anywhere else and if something did happen to Verstappen like an injury or illness for a few races Perez would be the one who got the push and potentially to WDC.
I can see Perez finishing his F1 career at RB barring any odd decisions by Dr Marko and Dietrich Mateschitz.

Any news on Lando Norris being fit to race this weekend? I believe it was tonsil trouble plaguing him in Barcelona...

GB

Established Member
Aargh!!! Red Bull benefit from a crash yet again. It's getting very tiresome!

Ferrari had the same choice and chance to put mediums on during the red flag. They choose 10 lap old hard tyres which may have worked out if the race was full distance, not when there was only half hour left on a track notorious difficult to overtake. Ferrari also screwed themselves with the double pit stop.