• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Norris on pole! Sainz 2nd, Russell 3rd, Hamilton 4th!

Crazy wet/drying qualifying session. Hamilton hit the wall on pit entry and spun on his final lap - suggestion he may have damaged his gearbox. If it has to be changed he will start 9th.

najaB

Veteran Member
Norris on pole! Sainz 2nd, Russell 3rd, Hamilton 4th!

Crazy wet/drying qualifying session. Hamilton hit the wall on pit entry and spun on his final lap - suggestion he may have damaged his gearbox. If it has to be changed he will start 9th.
Well, assuming that the rain stays away, we're in for an interesting day tomorrow!

The Losail International Circuit - just north of Doha has filled the final slot on the 2021 Calendar on November 21st, with a Qatar Grand Prix becoming permanent in a 10 year deal in 2023.

Also and in showing the seriously impressive nature of COVID security, there have only been 124 positive cases out of 150k+ tests, giving a positive rate of 0.08%!

Formula 1 can today confirm that the Losail International Circuit in Qatar will be the latest addition to the 2021 FIA Formula One World Championship between the 19th – 21st November, with Ooredoo – the international communications company as the title sponsor. Qatar will join the F1 calendar under a 10-year deal from 2023.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The Losail International Circuit - just north of Doha has filled the final slot on the 2021 Calendar on November 21st, with a Qatar Grand Prix becoming permanent in a 10 year deal in 2023.

Also and in showing the seriously impressive nature of COVID security, there have only been 124 positive cases out of 150k+ tests, giving a positive rate of 0.08%!
It will be interesting to see this circuit.

Domh245

Established Member
You're right about only taking the ICE, but pedantically a full PU would have resulted in a 'back of the grid' rather than 20 places. Strictly speaking, replacing 3 elements and incurring a penalty of more than 15 places would have the same 'back of the grid' start, depending on how you qualified compared to everyone else with the same penalty

If qualifying is half as interesting as last year, we're in for a good race.

It was not as dramatic as 2020, but 5 teams in the top 5 makes it a good one.

One other big bit of news, is that of Alfa Romeo Sauber soon to be getting Andretti on board and in this case, as the Majority shareholder!

American motorsports website Racer.com reported that 'significant talks' were set for the U.S. Grand Prix in Austin later this month.

Motorsport.com cited multiple sources on Saturday saying Andretti Autosport was closing in on a deal to take a majority stake, with talks at a very advanced stage.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Valtteri Bottas wints the Turkish Grand Prix! Happy for Valtteri though, may be his final win in F1.

Max with an understated but good drive to come second. And Perez was superb! Finally gets back on the podium.

Hamilton, did I feel get a bit screwed over with strategy, I think he could have potentially kept P3, but then again maybe not as those tires were graining fast.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Please could someone tell me just what was going on with that pit stop? There were no subtitles on Channel 4 ( probably as a result of the Red Bee Media mess ) and they didn't put the usual visuals up on the team radio either.

I think I did hear a censoring bleep though? Did I?

Given the state of the first set of tyres and his lack of progress after the pit stop, I am surprised they didn't put a set of soft slicks on - he must have been effectively on slicks for quite a few laps already prior to the pit stop...

DelW

Established Member
Given the state of the first set of tyres and his lack of progress after the pit stop, I am surprised they didn't put a set of soft slicks on - he must have been effectively on slicks for quite a few laps already prior to the pit stop...
I believe that the difference between slicks and intermediates is more than just the presence or absence of tread pattern, in particular the compounds used are different. Inters grip well at lower tyre temperatures, as they're designed to be used in the rain which cools the rubber down. Slicks need high tyre temperatures, which is why SV gave an impression of a novice ice skater when he tried medium slicks.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I believe that the difference between slicks and intermediates is more than just the presence or absence of tread pattern, in particular the compounds used are different. Inters grip well at lower tyre temperatures, as they're designed to be used in the rain which cools the rubber down. Slicks need high tyre temperatures, which is why SV gave an impression of a novice ice skater when he tried medium slicks.
Ah, I see.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
has the F1 title taken a swing from Brackley/Brixworth towards Milton Keynes?
I'm not so sure, I think the Mercedes is clearly the slightly faster car now. Only thing favouring Redbull is that both Brazil and Mexico are coming up which are tracks Mercedes is normally struggle at. But I really hope it will go down to the wire.

PG

Established Member
I'm beginning to wonder how many new engines Mercedes will opt to take before the end of the season?

If only changing the Internal Combustion Engine and not anything else means just a 5 place grid penalty then it almost seems like they could afford to take at least a couple more...

Also not sure how this all fits into the cost cap? It's not like they can knock up a new engine over the course of a weekend (I assume?) so isn't it making a mockery of the cost cap? I think Bottas is now on his sixth ICE and Hamilton his forth with rumours that he'll be onto a fifth next time out in Mexico.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's not like they can knock up a new engine over the course of a weekend (I assume?)
I would be surprised if they couldn't get the parts manufactured pretty quickly with CNC machining. Then it's just a matter of getting them assembled.

That was absolutely CLINICAL by Max Verstappen, to hold more than enough in reserve to bring it home! Hope Checo is okay, seeing that he had no drink from start to end and I suspect was part of the reason, why he ended 40+ seconds off his team mate in the end.

It's now a 12 Point gap with 5 to go and my goodness; regardless of the victor, this has been one season to forever savour!

najaB

Veteran Member
That was absolutely CLINICAL by Max Verstappen, to hold more than enough in reserve to bring it home!
Might be a bit controversial to say it, but before this race I was of the opinion that Max wasn't good enough all around to deserve a title. Today he displayed proper race craft.

jb108822

I was only listening to it on Radio 5 Live, but those last few laps were so tense. How Max managed to hold Lewis off is something I may well never understand, but it goes to show just how good he is. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in Mexico City in a couple of weeks' time.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I was only listening to it on Radio 5 Live, but those last few laps were so tense. How Max managed to hold Lewis off is something I may well never understand, but it goes to show just how good he is. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top in Mexico City in a couple of weeks' time.
It’s getting so exciting, I don’t know which way it will go.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Verstappen with another dominant performance yesterday. Perez seems to be picking it up too.

I have no clue what Bottas was doing at Turn 1 though. Almost seemed liek he gave up the position to Verstappen.

Hamilton is driving really well, but I think Max has been better than him.