• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

baz962

Established Member
Okay, I'm going to have to go out any minute, so I'll make a simple sketch for now: I present the Aberdeen Grand Prix:

View attachment 105432

The pitlane would be created on Wellington Street on the grassy area across from Burger King. Cars would go clockwise, and turn by turn:

Turn 1: Wellington Street onto Waterloo Quay. A hard right hander after a cobblestone section. With some rain (inevitable), the cobblestones would turn incredibly slick, creating overtaking opportunities.
Turn 2: Regent Quay - a small right hand kink, taken flat out.
Turn 3: Regent Quay lights - a nasty left hander that requires concentration.
Turn 4: Virginia Street left hander. Taken flat out, the track is much wider at this point.
Turn 5: A nice wide run up to Guild Street by the train/bus stations, and another cobblestone section designed to catch out unaware drivers. At the end, a wide sweeping left hander onto College Street.
Turn 6: College Street into Springbank Terrace - a 90 degree turn, but nice and wide.
Turn 7: Quick run down Springbank Terrace into Willowbank road, followed by a hard 90 degree turn into Holburn Street.
Turn 8: Holburn Street into Union Street. A nasty fast right hand corner.
Turn 9: At the bottom of the flat-out Union Street down the hill, cars turn into King Street while preserving as much speed as possible.
Turn 10: Wide right hand turn into East North Street.
Turn 11: The Justice Port roundabout. Kept in place so that the downhill section of the Beach Boulevard will favour cars with quicker acceleration. Local boy racers from the 90s will finally see their dream: the Bouley being turned into a race track.
Turn 12: Beach Esplanade - a nightmare if it's raining and windy, which it probably will be. The spray from the beach will hinder drivers, while seagulls will probably attack the cars.

DRS zones on Union Street and the Beach Boulevard. The track itself is varied, but the two cobblestone sections are designed to catch drivers out.
Make them go through Burger king drive through . Different kind of pitstop , see who can cook a burger quicker.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
The track itself is varied, but the two cobblestone sections are designed to catch drivers out.
Impressive, though I can't see the FIA being too keen on retaining the cobblestones. More a case of accident opportunities instead of overtaking ones!

Incidentally (Google maps error I know) since when did Mannofield encompass the top-end of Holburn Street!??

kristiang85

Established Member
Hamilton under investigation for having too wide a DRS opening. if true, that could be a slam dunk disqualification from his pole position for the sprint.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Hamilton under investigation for having too wide a DRS opening. if true, that could be a slam dunk disqualification from his pole position for the sprint.

Verstappen also under investigation for park ferme irregularity.
I suspect Mercedes breached the rules but the video of Verstappen touching the car gives them an out making it much less of an open and shut case.

Indeed I do, I was the post Chief on Stowe corner who phoned it in to Race control.

As a current Volunteer Race Maker at Silverstone (who is in the stands), I can only say bravo! Despite the "Lunatic on the Track", 2003 from seeing many a highlight reel on YouTube was a CLASSIC of a race!

Domh245

Established Member
Well that was an exciting race!

I can't wait to see the mid-week analysis of that moment, given the form of the first two sprint race events, I was fully expecting tears!

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
That was a very good race and things seem to be looking up for Hamilton and Mercedes.
Verstappen is a very very lucky boy...
I would've personally given him a warning or black & white flag. I do think he was taking the pee though by the end with that weaving, he'll be lucky to avoid penalty points.
I can't wait to see the mid-week analysis of that moment, given the form of the first two sprint race events, I was fully expecting tears!
Mid corner, I thought that they were going to touch. It's amazing that they didn't and Max got completely away with it.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Only thing I will say, is Lewis pushed Perez off the track at Monza but didn't get any penalty or reprocussion for it either.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The last race seat has been confirmed. Guanya Zhou to replace Antonio Giovanazzi at Alfa Romeo.

Guanyu Zhou has become Formula 1's first Chinese driver after signing to race for Alfa Romeo in 2022.

Alfa Romeo described the Formula 2 frontrunner as a "trailblazer who will write a pivotal page in his country's motorsport history".
Zhou, 22, will partner Valtteri Bottas, signed from Mercedes after veteran Kimi Raikkonen decided to retire this year.

He replaces Antonio Giovinazzi, who has raced for Alfa since 2019 but now has no place on the F1 grid next year.

Zhou, who is second in the F2 championship with three wins this season and two rounds still to go in Saudi Arabia next month, said: "I dreamt from a young age of climbing as high as I can in a sport that I am passionate about and now the dream has come true.

"I feel well prepared for the immense challenge of Formula 1, the pinnacle of my sport, alongside a proven, world-class talent in Valtteri Bottas."

The move means all F1 teams have confirmed driver line-ups for 2022.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
It's being reported that the stewards allegedly still don't have access to Verstappen's forward facing tcam.

The last race seat has been confirmed. Guanya Zhou to replace Antonio Giovanazzi at Alfa Romeo.
Poor decision to be perfectly honest. Gio has been shafted several times by Alfa's crap strategy calls. Battle of the midest drivers next year will be between him and Schumacher (still don't know why Ferrari want this guy in a car in 2023).

GB

Established Member
The footage is out now but it must be asked why they don't immediately have access to all the cameras on both championship contending cars....even more so when they have come to grief together multiple times in the not too distant past.

Edit: Mercedes have now requested a right of review following the release of Verstappen's on board footage.

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
What would the likely punishment be for non-provision of this access?
Red Bull can't prevent the FIA having access to the cameras, only the TV rights holder (FOM owned by Liberty) can give/refuse access (any punishment for them would be financial). If Red Bull had disabled the camera (which isn't the case), I'd expect fines in most cases and docking of constructors points under serious circumstances.
The footage is out now but it must be asked why they don't immediately have access to all the cameras on both championship contending cars....even more so when they have come to grief together multiple times in the not too distant past.
To drum up hype and drama. Ant Davidson said he had the on board replay at the sky pad but it cut away at the crucial moment.
Mercedes have now requested a right of review following the release of Verstappen's on board footage.
I don't see anything else coming from this. Max didn't intentionally force Lewis off the track, just braked too late for the approach speed. A warning should be the most that comes of this.

Domh245

Established Member

To drum up hype and drama. Ant Davidson said he had the on board replay at the sky pad but it cut away at the crucial moment.

More accurately, bandwidth limits mean that of the multiple cameras on the car, only one can be transmitted (and recorded for instant playback). FOM made a (in hindsight) ill timed decision to switch to the rear view camera on Max's car just as the incident occurred, Ant has the same feeds as everyone else from FOM - it is only once cars are released from Parc Fermé that the full download of all cameras (including the 360° camera, remember that!?) can begin

I don't see anything else coming from this. Max didn't intentionally force Lewis off the track, just braked too late for the approach speed. A warning should be the most that comes of this.

ehhh, Max was offline and braked late, he knew he wasn't going to make the corner, and that Lewis was on his outside. A driver of Max's calibre knows that is intentional, you don't win grand prix by failing to appreciate that braking later and offline will change the trajectory of the corner

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
ehhh, Max was offline and braked late, he knew he wasn't going to make the corner, and that Lewis was on his outside. A driver of Max's calibre knows that is intentional, you don't win grand prix by failing to appreciate that braking later and offline will change the trajectory of the corner
We all know he was pushing his luck with that move, but it has to be 100% proven that the move was intentional. He does need a warning about toning down his moves, because he's taking the pee now.

najaB

Veteran Member
Verstappen under investigation for not showing for double yellow flags. Could be interesting!

greatvoyager

Established Member
A few days late... have watched the Qatar GP. Title battle going all the way and both constructors getting a bit hot under the collar!

Cracking to see Alonso up on the podium :D
It’s so exciting to see such a close battle.

D365

Veteran Member
Best season since at least 2012.

RIP Sir Frank Williams, whose passing has just been announced.

Last edited: