• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort George OO Gauge Scottish Terminus/Junction Layout

Iskra

Established Member
I love a weathered bit of rolling stock...
Sometimes even just getting a bit paint on and then wiping nearly all of it off so that some of it just highlights the detail does wonders for making something look a bit more used.

I totally agree, although I've not mastered the more subtle approach yet :D

Funnily enough I dipped a toe into the world of rolling stock weathering for the first time in exactly the same way a couple of months ago: With an old brakevan (Of the same design, for that matter!) and a trio of vans, and a similar weathering process. I've found that Railmatch Sleeper Grime spray has a myriad of different uses around the layout!
What a coincidence! Yes, the Sleeper Grime spray really is excellent isn't it. I think the simple BR Vans are a good item to start on and fairly inexpensive.

This is where I've got to so far. They certainly look a lot less plasticy. I've added some black dots of paint to the buffers too using cotton buds to simulate the worn metal where they contact with each other. Just the roofs to finish now, but I'm awaiting the correct powder to arrive for that. Overall it has turned out reasonably well for a first attempt and they look better than when they started, I'm particularly happy with how the grey wagon turned out as that was the one I was most worried about doing :)

wagons1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
An update

I've now weathered the ferry van that I like to include in my parcels trains, a suburban Mk1, a Mk1 BG, a Thompson BG and a Stanier BG. All of these were in pristine condition and I'm generally happy with how they turned out, the Thompson BG I'm particularly happy with as it was an older model that was way too shiny. I'm also happy with how the two Blood & Custard carriages turned out as it's less forgiving than maroon. Obviously, I'm far from a pro at this and I think I need to work on being a bit more subtle, but it's brought to life a few models that were way too pristine for my time period.

New Arrival: I've been eyeing up a Hornby Standard Class 2 Tender Locomotive due for release this year, but the price is high and then I'd need to spend more on weathering plus DCC fitting and then it also doesn't look a perfect model either; its wheels are way too shiny. So instead, I came across a second-hand Bachmann example in mint condition for £65 that I acquired from Clark Railworks (a good website worth watching for second hand models, and they all come with 6 month warranty too). It's a good model and at £65 I can afford a stab at weathering it in the future at that price. It's a locomotive very at home in Scotland and about right for operating on my branchline in particular. It's not DCC fitted, but my controller allows me to run one DC locomotive at a time on the layout without any issues thus far, so this allows me to rotate some cheaper DC locomotives onto the layout.

weathering1.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
An update

I've now weathered the ferry van that I like to include in my parcels trains, a suburban Mk1, a Mk1 BG, a Thompson BG and a Stanier BG. All of these were in pristine condition and I'm generally happy with how they turned out, the Thompson BG I'm particularly happy with as it was an older model that was way too shiny. I'm also happy with how the two Blood & Custard carriages turned out as it's less forgiving than maroon. Obviously, I'm far from a pro at this and I think I need to work on being a bit more subtle, but it's brought to life a few models that were way too pristine for my time period.

New Arrival: I've been eyeing up a Hornby Standard Class 2 Tender Locomotive due for release this year, but the price is high and then I'd need to spend more on weathering plus DCC fitting and then it also doesn't look a perfect model either; its wheels are way too shiny. So instead, I came across a second-hand Bachmann example in mint condition for £65 that I acquired from Clark Railworks (a good website worth watching for second hand models, and they all come with 6 month warranty too). It's a good model and at £65 I can afford a stab at weathering it in the future at that price. It's a locomotive very at home in Scotland and about right for operating on my branchline in particular. It's not DCC fitted, but my controller allows me to run one DC locomotive at a time on the layout without any issues thus far, so this allows me to rotate some cheaper DC locomotives onto the layout.

View attachment 88518
That’s a really nice model. Are the coaches behind it the ones you weathered? They look just right to me, not too much and not too little.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Great effort on the weathering, that really looks the part and it sounds like you've made a lot of progress with it!

When I started reading your paragraph on the BR Standard 2MT, my first thought was to recommend Ebay for reasonably priced Bachmann models: I'm keeping a cursory eye out for the same myself.

Iskra

Established Member
That’s a really nice model. Are the coaches behind it the ones you weathered? They look just right to me, not too much and not too little.
It's the 3 attached to it, plus 2 on the line behind. Thanks :)

Great effort on the weathering, that really looks the part and it sounds like you've made a lot of progress with it!

When I started reading your paragraph on the BR Standard 2MT, my first thought was to recommend Ebay for reasonably priced Bachmann models: I'm keeping a cursory eye out for the same myself.

Thank you. Yes, they are a great little locomotive and very versatile. I'd recommend keeping an eye out here https://clarkrailworks.com/collections/oo-gauge As it can be cheaper than ebay due to no sellers fees, everything comes with a 6 month warranty and you can't have any issues with any ebay chancers as they are a reputable supplier. Ebay can be good, but you need to be careful on there.

Peter C

Established Member
An update

View attachment 88518
You've got a brilliant set of rolling stock there @Iskra - and that engine looks very nice as well. You've sent me down a rabbit hole on that site because I keep finding models for good prices which I like the look of! :D
Regarding DC engine on DCC - has it been making any strange noises when it goes on the track? Mine always did - horrible noise which didn't sound unlike a dial-up internet connection!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
You've got a brilliant set of rolling stock there @Iskra - and that engine looks very nice as well. You've sent me down a rabbit hole on that site because I keep finding models for good prices which I like the look of! :D
Regarding DC engine on DCC - has it been making any strange noises when it goes on the track? Mine always did - horrible noise which didn't sound unlike a dial-up internet connection!

-Peter
Thanks. Yes, it is a good website, there are some good prices plus some rare items now and again and it's less risky than ebay.

Yes, actually this one does make a strange sound just like that. It's DCC ready however, so something I may be able to change in the future. One element of my layout that aids dual operation, is that I have deliberately included a mixture of self-isolating and non self-isolating points in strategic places so that not all engines are 'live' at the same time, or I can isolate certain engines down certain sidings and happily run the rest of the layout.

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks. Yes, it is a good website, there are some good prices plus some rare items now and again and it's less risky than ebay.

Yes, actually this one does make a strange sound just like that. It's DCC ready however, so something I may be able to change in the future.
If the engine's making funny noises on the track I'd probably suggest not running it too often (if at all) until you get a decoder in it. DC engines on DCC track don't often fare well (I can't remember the specifics) and I've had a couple of engines I ran on DCC when I didn't know what I was doing really and now they don't work. I think it's a higher voltage or just the way DCC sends signals through the track? I expect @Cowley or @reddragon could shed some light on this.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
If the engine's making funny noises on the track I'd probably suggest not running it too often (if at all) until you get a decoder in it. DC engines on DCC track don't often fare well (I can't remember the specifics) and I've had a couple of engines I ran on DCC when I didn't know what I was doing really and now they don't work. I think it's a higher voltage or just the way DCC sends signals through the track? I expect @Cowley or @reddragon could shed some light on this.

-Peter
A few people have said this, but it's in the instructions for my controller that it's okay. I do keep it to a minimum and mainly stick to my DCC stuff, but so far I've had no evidence of any issues with my DC loco's.

Peter C

Established Member
A few people have said this, but it's in the instructions for my controller that it's okay. I do keep it to a minimum and mainly stick to my DCC stuff, but so far I've had no evidence of any issues with my DC loco's.
Ah OK - fair enough. I'm not going to become one of those people who tells others what they 'must' do with their models! ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it might be a case that ‘DCC ready’ just means that it’s easy to fit a DCC decoder. You have to be careful not to get the two voltages mixed up though as DCC is higher and you can end up frying the PCB board thingy if you’re not careful.
(You don’t have to pay extra for this sort of technical language by the way ;))

Peter C

Established Member
I think it might be a case that ‘DCC ready’ just means that it’s easy to fit a DCC decoder. You have to be careful not to get the two voltages mixed up though as DCC is higher and you can end up frying the PCB board thingy if you’re not careful.
That's what I meant - higher voltages, PCB whatsit - all technical terms at the end of the day I guess? :)

-Peter

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's the 3 attached to it, plus 2 on the line behind. Thanks :)

Thank you. Yes, they are a great little locomotive and very versatile. I'd recommend keeping an eye out here https://clarkrailworks.com/collections/oo-gauge As it can be cheaper than ebay due to no sellers fees, everything comes with a 6 month warranty and you can't have any issues with any ebay chancers as they are a reputable supplier. Ebay can be good, but you need to be careful on there.
Ooh I wasn't aware of that site, there are indeed some pretty keen prices on there so thanks for the link: I think I'm going to lose a lot of time scrolling through haha.

I must admit that I've used Ebay quite extensively, both buying and selling, over the years for my model railway needs, especially since the first lockdown last year, and I've been fortunate to never encounter any issues to date.

Iskra

Established Member
Ah OK - fair enough. I'm not going to become one of those people who tells others what they 'must' do with their models! ;)

-Peter

I could well be back to report frying locomotives in the future, so you may well be right yet :D

Yeah, I bought it knowing I could install a decoder later on should I feel the need. I've ordered a suitable decoder now for £15 so it could well become a mainstay of the fleet and I can relax about damaging it. It will be first time fitting a decoder so we will see how that goes :D

Ooh I wasn't aware of that site, there are indeed some pretty keen prices on there so thanks for the link: I think I'm going to lose a lot of time scrolling through haha.

I must admit that I've used Ebay quite extensively, both buying and selling, over the years for my model railway needs, especially since the first lockdown last year, and I've been fortunate to never encounter any issues to date.
Yes, it's a good site, it's just about waiting for the right thing to appear.

I've generally done okay with ebay, but there are some listings that I click on where I think 'wtf' or alarm bells start going off in my head. You have to scrutinise some of the listings carefully.

- - - - - - - -

I've tried some more subtle weathering of my express passenger stock today, I've just lightly done the underframes and ends to give the impression of stock that is relatively well cared for.

Here, D1572 pauses before coupling to its rake of Mk1 coaching stock for an express working towards the Central Belt, while a pair of DMU's watch on:
Mk1s.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
I could well be back to report frying locomotives in the future, so you may well be right yet :D
Haha :) Let's hope not!

Yeah, I bought it knowing I could install a decoder later on should I feel the need. I've ordered a suitable decoder now for £15 so it could well become a mainstay of the fleet and I can relax about damaging it. It will be first time fitting a decoder so we will see how that goes :D
Just out of interest, what kind of decoder have you gone for? I'll be needing a good supply of them in the future when I get started DCC-fitting my DC engines and that sounds like a good price.

I've tried some more subtle weathering of my express passenger stock today, I've just lightly done the underframes and ends to give the impression of stock that is relatively well cared for.

Here, D1572 pauses before coupling to its rake of Mk1 coaching stock for an express working towards the Central Belt, while a pair of DMU's watch on:
View attachment 88683
I really like the weathering you've done on those coaches. I always like the idea of certain depots looking after engines/rolling stock and taking care of them, as they should require.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Haha :) Let's hope not!

Just out of interest, what kind of decoder have you gone for? I'll be needing a good supply of them in the future when I get started DCC-fitting my DC engines and that sounds like a good price.

I really like the weathering you've done on those coaches. I always like the idea of certain depots looking after engines/rolling stock and taking care of them, as they should require.

-Peter
I needed an 8 pin one as it's an older locomotive, I just googled 8-pin dcc decoder and a Hornby one was the best value so that's the one I've got. I will let you know if it's any good once it's here and I've installed it.

Thank you.

Peter C

Established Member
I needed an 8 pin one as it's an older locomotive, I just googled 8-pin dcc decoder and a Hornby one was the best value so that's the one I've got. I will let you know if it's any good once it's here and I've installed it.
Ah OK - I've got quite a few 8-pin decoders from Hornby so I can vouch for their good qualities. I prefer a 21-pin decoder as they never have wires and so are much easier to fit, whereas searching for an 8-pin decoder without wires is quite difficult in my experience.

Thank you.
You're very welcome :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Those coaches look really good, you’ve definitely got a good eye for it.
There’s something about that era that’s really attractive, I nearly ended up going for a late 60s layout when I had an initial dabble in N gauge about ten years ago. I ended up selling it all (I had a green Peak and a maroon Warship plus a mixture of carriages) and then coming back to it later when I went for the late 1980s era.
My friend Paul has a lot of steam era stock and the plan is (when we eventually start doing shows again) that we’ll start off with steam in the morning and move forward 25 years in the afternoon.

Iskra

Established Member
Ah OK - I've got quite a few 8-pin decoders from Hornby so I can vouch for their good qualities. I prefer a 21-pin decoder as they never have wires and so are much easier to fit, whereas searching for an 8-pin decoder without wires is quite difficult in my experience.

You're very welcome :)

-Peter

Ah, that's a good nugget of knowledge that I shall use in future, thanks for that. The DCC goes in the tender on the Standard 2, which is otherwise empty so there should be plenty of room for any wires.

Those coaches look really good, you’ve definitely got a good eye for it.
There’s something about that era that’s really attractive, I nearly ended up going for a late 60s layout when I had an initial dabble in N gauge about ten years ago. I ended up selling it all (I had a green Peak and a maroon Warship plus a mixture of carriages) and then coming back to it later when I went for the late 1980s era.
My friend Paul has a lot of steam era stock and the plan is (when we eventually start doing shows again) that we’ll start off with steam in the morning and move forward 25 years in the afternoon.

Thanks Nick.

I think it's a great era for indecisive people like me :D It let's me run the steam I like and the classic diesel I like! It's arguably the last hurrah of railways before they started a long period of decline and you have got (generally) a lot more operational interest back then. You're lucky with Lapford that it kept loco-hauled operations until fairly late with classic locomotives and when I run mine in the 90's/00's the inclusion of the sleeper services allows me to have more locomotives than most places would realistically have. I do like the Peaks and Warships are cracking machines too. I've avoided the temptation to get any 40's or Peaks as they are a bit too big and would look a little daft hauling 3/4 coaches on my layout I think.
That sounds a good plan, best of both worlds :) It will be interesting to see which era you find most satisfying when you come to doing that.

Peter C

Established Member
Ah, that's a good nugget of knowledge that I shall use in future, thanks for that. The DCC goes in the tender on the Standard 2, which is otherwise empty so there should be plenty of room for any wires.
If you look about on a certain well-known auction site you'll find some adaptors which (should, in theory) allow you to use a 21-pin decoder in an 8-pin socket; I've got one of these adaptors but I'm yet to use it. Train-o-Matic do some good DCC decoders with better options than Hornby/Bachmann/etc. in that they offer both wired and non-wired versions of decoders with various numbers of pins.

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
If you look about on a certain well-known auction site you'll find some adaptors which (should, in theory) allow you to use a 21-pin decoder in an 8-pin socket; I've got one of these adaptors but I'm yet to use it. Train-o-Matic do some good DCC decoders with better options than Hornby/Bachmann/etc. in that they offer both wired and non-wired versions of decoders with various numbers of pins.

-Peter
That's good to know, but I'll need to start in an extremely basic way by just learning to install a decoder, before getting clever like that :D For some reason I think I will find taking my locomotives to pieces quite daunting.

And now for something completely different...

fgw47.jpg

My first attempt at locomotive weathering. I've got to give credit to the FGW maintenance crews because while researching these locomotives, they are on the whole extremely clean, which is impressive. I've lightly dry brushed the bogies with Dulux moka paint and then gone slightly heavier on the sides of the buffer beams as this is always the dirtiest bit on the photos. I've then used Humbrol black weathering powder on the roof, mainly going over the grilles and exhausts as well as above each cab and I like how that has turned out, I think the roof is looking pretty good- it was all that plastic-looking light grey colour before. This photo has showed up that I need to tidy up below the grilles where I've gone a bit over the top below the cantrail.

So, what's a FGW 47 doing in Scotland? ...answers/suggestions/suitable excuses on a postcard please? ...it's merely a suitable weathering testbed that I found on ebay going cheap and I quite like the livery; it's unlikely to feature much.

Peter C

Established Member
That's good to know, but I'll need to start in an extremely basic way by just learning to install a decoder, before getting clever like that :D For some reason I think I will find taking my locomotives to pieces quite daunting.
For most engines you don't have to take anything apart, so to speak; it's mostly just unscrewing screws or pushing clips in. When you put the decoder in, make sure you get the pins the right way round; there'll be a small number 1 or an arrow on the socket which you need to align with the number 1 or arrow on the plug for it to work.

And now for something completely different...

View attachment 88709

My first attempt at locomotive weathering. I've got to give credit to the FGW maintenance crews because while researching these locomotives, they are on the whole extremely clean, which is impressive. I've lightly dry brushed the bogies with Dulux moka paint and then gone slightly heavier on the sides of the buffer beams as this is always the dirtiest bit on the photos. I've then used Humbrol black weathering powder on the roof, mainly going over the grilles and exhausts as well as above each cab and I like how that has turned out, I think the roof is looking pretty good- it was all that plastic-looking light grey colour before. This photo has showed up that I need to tidy up below the grilles where I've gone a bit over the top below the cantrail.
You've done a really good job with that weathering. Not too much, and not too little. It looks like it's had a bit of a hard day and hasn't been properly cleaned in a while but it's looked after by the depot crew :)

So, what's a FGW 47 doing in Scotland? ...answers/suggestions/suitable excuses on a postcard please? ...it's merely a suitable weathering testbed that I found on ebay going cheap and I quite like the livery; it's unlikely to feature much.
Trainee signaller pathed the Paddington - Penzance sleeper on the wrong route? Train travelled east from Paddington and entered a time warp? Depot crew at Inverness (?) just like that livery? ;)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Peters explanation sounds entirely feasible to me. :lol:
Or what about, it was freed from the GW services and sent north as a shunt release and standby locomotive? A bit like Ian Riley had a 37 based at Fort William to shunt the steam stock?
Anyway, good work. I reckon you’ll be investing in an airbrush soon @Iskra..?

Iskra

Established Member
For most engines you don't have to take anything apart, so to speak; it's mostly just unscrewing screws or pushing clips in. When you put the decoder in, make sure you get the pins the right way round; there'll be a small number 1 or an arrow on the socket which you need to align with the number 1 or arrow on the plug for it to work.

You've done a really good job with that weathering. Not too much, and not too little. It looks like it's had a bit of a hard day and hasn't been properly cleaned in a while but it's looked after by the depot crew :)

Trainee signaller pathed the Paddington - Penzance sleeper on the wrong route? Train travelled east from Paddington and entered a time warp? Depot crew at Inverness (?) just like that livery? ;)

-Peter

Thanks!

All of the above perhaps :D

Peters explanation sounds entirely feasible to me. :lol:
Or what about, it was freed from the GW services and sent north as a shunt release and standby locomotive? A bit like Ian Riley had a 37 based at Fort William to shunt the steam stock?
Anyway, good work. I reckon you’ll be investing in an airbrush soon @Iskra..?

That's actually one of the conundrums I have with my layout when running in modern times, I do need a spare locomotive around to release other locomotives. I'll have to have a look at the current Fort William/Mallaig/Oban trackplans to see how they go about it. It's good to know that having a standby loco is prototypical however :)

I looked into it last week, but I'm going to try just using masking tape to cover the top 50% of the above FGW 47 first and then just gently use railmatch sleeper grime spray to do the underside and lower body and see how that turns out before I go for an airbrush.

Established Member
New TPE service before the 185's arrived :lol: or on a charter train.

Rule one for model railways: Anything goes.
That's actually one of the conundrums I have with my layout when running in modern times, I do need a spare locomotive around to release other locomotives. I'll have to have a look at the current Fort William/Mallaig/Oban trackplans to see how they go about it. It's good to know that having a standby loco is prototypical however :)
A 08 will probably do quite nicely for shunting duties although I also normally have another loco sat doing nothing as well.

I believe the Sleeper at Fort William runs round before shunting into the siding. While watching the scenic railway journeys of the WHL last night I did notice the Jacobite in the 'bay' which doesn't have a run round loop but that probably ran round on the other platform first where the 156 then arrived later on.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I did weather some of my 00 stuff with the Railmatch sleeper grime spray a few years ago but I did find it little bit heavy and as @BRblue33 says you can sometimes get spitting from the can.
But there’s a couple of other things I’ve started doing as well. I now use these Mig paints through an airbrush which if you go too heavy over a certain area can be wiped off with a damp cloth. I used to find that if I used thinners to wipe off excess solvent based paint it could damage the lettering and numbers on a model and lead to much headbanging of the table.

12ECEA2A-D448-4367-BAD7-4036910F75B7.jpeg

Iskra

Established Member
I went with the railmatch spray as this locomotive was only acquired to test on, so it was worth a try. I do agree with the above comments that it has come out a little heavy, but I think it's a good first attempt. For my more modern and valuable locomotives, an airbrush will likely be the way to go. Thank you all for the hints, tips and support; the main thing is that I've enjoyed the process and feel a lot more confident doing it now. In the space of about a week I've gone from tentatively weathering BR Vans to doing full rakes of carriages and now my first loco :)

It's gone from this:

Lima.jpglima2.jpg

To this; which I feel is far from perfect but definitely looks more realistic.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Actually it looks really good. I reckon it needs some streaks of oil down the side of the body in a couple places now. ;)