• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fort George OO Gauge Scottish Terminus/Junction Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
New TPE service before the 185's arrived :lol: or on a charter train.

Rule one for model railways: Anything goes.

A 08 will probably do quite nicely for shunting duties although I also normally have another loco sat doing nothing as well.

I believe the Sleeper at Fort William runs round before shunting into the siding. While watching the scenic railway journeys of the WHL last night I did notice the Jacobite in the 'bay' which doesn't have a run round loop but that probably ran round on the other platform first where the 156 then arrived later on.
I'm avoiding 08's as they don't get great reviews of their performance on points, and my layout is full of them. Perhaps a 20 or a 37 might have to do the job, there is usually a WCRC 37 up there year round for snow clearing I believe so perhaps something like that might do the job. I've been to Fort William and seen a CS 73 shunting around, but sadly I didn't pay any attention to what it was actually doing at the time! <doh>

fortwilliam.jpg

Actually it looks really good. I reckon it needs some streaks of oil down the side of the body in a couple places now. ;)
I think the FGW Green livery is quite forgiving being quite dark, I do worry about some of my lighter colour locomotives, so they will get the airbrush once I sort one out. I'm not doing anymore to that 47, I'm quitting while I'm ahead :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRblue33

The class 47 look's good . :idea:you need to put some gloss black down the fuel tanks filler . As for a class 73 in scotland there are no rtr models. Go for a class 37.

Established Member
I'm avoiding 08's as they don't get great reviews of their performance on points, and my layout is full of them. Perhaps a 20 or a 37 might have to do the job, there is usually a WCRC 37 up there year round for snow clearing I believe so perhaps something like that might do the job. I've been to Fort William and seen a CS 73 shunting around, but sadly I didn't pay any attention to what it was actually doing at the time! <doh>

View attachment 88748
The 08 that I have works quite well and my layout has a number of different points. I never knew WCRC kept a loco on the WHL all year but it probably helps with the steam sets in the summer and then keep the line clear from snow in the winter.

Iskra

Established Member
The 08 that I have works quite well and my layout has a number of different points. I never knew WCRC kept a loco on the WHL all year but it probably helps with the steam sets in the summer and then keep the line clear from snow in the winter.
That's good to hear. What livery 08 would you suggest for the period 1996-2003 on my layout?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's good to hear. What livery 08 would you suggest for the period 1996-2003 on my layout?
A nice rough banger blue one or possibly a grey one with maybe Transrail on it? I’m not sure which of Mainline, Transrail or Loadhaul worked where back then?

Established Member
Not sure. I have a EWS one which could possibly work or maybe one of what Cowley mentioned above.

sprinterguy

Established Member
A nice rough banger blue one or possibly a grey one with maybe Transrail on it? I’m not sure which of Mainline, Transrail or Loadhaul worked where back then?
The West Highland was solid Transrail territory.

I believe the modern Hornby model is considered the best of the current 00 gauge offerings in terms of reliability and smooth running and I don't think they've produced a Transrail triple grey example, but they've certainly produced BR banger blue liveried locos which would suit.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I believe the modern Hornby model is considered the best of the current 00 gauge offerings in terms of reliability and smooth running and I don't think they've produced a Transrail triple grey example, but they've certainly produced BR banger blue liveried locos which would suit.

Ah thanks for that. It was a period of time when I’d drifted away from the mainline and I vaguely remember that we seemed to see quite a bit of Mainline stuff down here (even 58s).

I suppose you could get a grey 08 and a transfer quite easily? Fox Transfers must do them.

Iskra

Established Member
Not sure. I have a EWS one which could possibly work or maybe one of what Cowley mentioned above.

Ah thanks for that. It was a period of time when I’d drifted away from the mainline and I vaguely remember that we seemed to see quite a bit of Mainline stuff down here (even 58s).

I suppose you could get a grey 08 and a transfer quite easily? Fox Transfers must do them.
Thanks Gents, I will keep an eye-out for a suitable 08 although it's a low priority project. However, I do think they look good shunting and propelling coaching stock- very 'Penzance', in my mind.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Track improvement works were carried out overnight, it's still only set track but it looks a little more naturally-coloured and suitably grimy now. I will probably give it a more detailed weathering before I get around to pinning it down.

MRtrack.jpg

The FGW 47 is on ebay now, so will be departing the layout, I thought I'd get a bit of a Penzance style photo opportunity before it leaves- 67's featured on Virgin XC services for a period, as well as mail trains of course, the Virgin 47 featured is Totnes Castle to add to the South West mystique;

MRpenzance.jpg

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Track improvement works were carried out overnight, it's still only set track but it looks a little more naturally-coloured and suitably grimy now. I will probably give it a more detailed weathering before I get around to pinning it down.

View attachment 88854
That track looks really quite nice @Iskra - I plan to make my track look (sort of) like that after the ballast has been fully done and then fully glued down as I'm thinking of using some Railmatch Sleeper Grime paint to weather it.

The FGW 47 is on ebay now, so will be departing the layout, I thought I'd get a bit of a Penzance style photo opportunity before it leaves- 67's featured on Virgin XC services for a period, as well as mail trains of course;

View attachment 88855
Looks very good! I've just seen the 47 on eBay and I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how much it goes for :) I also see you've got a Black Five on there?

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
That track looks really quite nice @Iskra - I plan to make my track look (sort of) like that after the ballast has been fully done and then fully glued down as I'm thinking of using some Railmatch Sleeper Grime paint to weather it.

Looks very good! I've just seen the 47 on eBay and I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how much it goes for :) I also see you've got a Black Five on there?

-Peter
Yes, that's all I've done to it, just sprayed it and then cleaned it. I'm happy with the result it looks better than it did, just the rest to do now so it will be an ongoing project as and when I feel.

Yes, I'm intrigued to see what price it goes for :D Yes, my current Black 5 is going too to make room for an upgraded version I found in a sale; that's another interesting one too as it's a Railroad Black 5, but with a high quality sound chip in it so I'm interested to see how much interest that attracts.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That track looks great. I use that Mig paint for weathering track (with a brush) too. It’s good because you can water it down and build it up easily.
Which is your 47 on eBay Iskra?

Iskra

Established Member

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m sure that’s fine especially for this section. :)
Haha that looks like exactly the kind of advert that I have to when I’ve finished with something!

Iskra

Established Member
I’m sure that’s fine especially for this section. :)
Haha that looks like exactly the kind of advert that I have to when I’ve finished with something!
I’d rather just be honest about its flaws. I’m not expecting to make much money on it, it just seemed better than throwing it in the bin, which was the realistic alternative. If someone can get it running and improve the weathering they can probably make a decent profit on it when you see that people are selling DC versions unweathered for £60.

Well I've been busy weathering again, this time on a more valued locomotive that started pristine:

DRS.jpgDRS2.jpgDRS1.jpg

As you can probably tell, I'm really enjoying doing this weathering :)

BR Green in the 1960's presented a different challenge. Firstly, I wasn't there so I have only seen BR green on immaculate preserved locomotives and secondly, most photo's from that era are black and white. I've had a stab at my most prized locomotive which was pristine before I started today. I've not used any spray paint on this one as I felt in BR times lineside vegetation would have been less due to steam locomotives, so there would be less leaf mulch and they would be cleaner. I therefore just gently hand-painted the bogies and underframes on this one. However, I felt that due to working alongside steam locomotives and more claggy diesels, that the roof would be dirtier so I put more effort in up there using powders. I then did all the body side grilles with black powder and a brush as well as some dark rust on top of the bonnet. I left the sides mainly clean to give the impression of a locomotive that is used, but cared for. Feedback appreciated on this one as I don't know how prototypical it really is? The good news is powder comes off a lot easier...

37W.jpg

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh wow they look wonderful. 37261 looks the absolute nuts!
I wouldn’t worry about weathering the green 37 up too much because they definitely did get very dirty in those days, quite often they were stabled alongside steam as well which was a very dirty environment (quite often a cause of problems actually).
Re the roof and exhaust ports - I cut the shapes of where I wanted the exhaust soot to go (two diamonds on the roof of a 37) and sprayed matt black through the holes which went quite well really.

Iskra

Established Member
Oh wow they look wonderful. 37261 looks the absolute nuts!
I wouldn’t worry about weathering the green 37 up too much because they definitely did get very dirty in those days, quite often they were stabled alongside steam as well which was a very dirty environment (quite often a cause of problems actually).
Re the roof and exhaust ports - I cut the shapes of where I wanted the exhaust soot to go (two diamonds on the roof of a 37) and sprayed matt black through the holes which went quite well really.
Thank you!

That was my thoughts, but when I see them in colour on videos etc they often still look shiny on the sides somehow.

That's a great idea and something I will try on 37261. Although D6739 I won't because it's DCC sound and I'm weary of what I could be pouring paint onto :D

Well, the FGW 47 did way better than I was expecting, selling at £56 so I’ve more than covered my costs with it :D

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Today I've applied light weathering effects to the Ivatt Class 2 Tender Locomotive, which has dulled down the shiny plastic. My first attempt at a kettle and I'm reasonably happy with it as it looks better than when I started and I've avoided ruining it. Equally, I've done light weathering to the recently arrived EWS 37 and a slightly heavier job on the Class 20 which is seen running nose first on a mixed train below for @Cowley - I will sort out the route indicator disks on it eventually.
weatheringsteam.jpgweathering37.jpgclass20mixed.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Today I've applied light weathering effects to the Ivatt Class 2 Tender Locomotive, which has dulled down the shiny plastic. My first attempt at a kettle and I'm reasonably happy with it as it looks better than when I started and I've avoided ruining it. Equally, I've done light weathering to the recently arrived EWS 37 and a slightly heavier job on the Class 20 which is seen running nose first on a mixed train below for @Cowley - I will sort out the route indicator disks on it eventually.
View attachment 89958View attachment 89959View attachment 89960

Excellent job on the locos and I love that mixed train, it just shouts Scotland to me.
Also liking the tail lamp and gangway covers on the coach to the left. That’s a great touch

Iskra

Established Member
Excellent job on the locos and I love that mixed train, it just shouts Scotland to me.
Also liking the tail lamp and gangway covers on the coach to the left. That’s a great touch
Thanks! The lamps do add the finishing touch, I have plenty more lamps and discs that will be added when things eventually become more finished off.

The postman today has dropped off a few things from The Model Centre and Hereford Model Centre. My new upgraded Hornby DCC Sound Black 5 which will be right at home on the layout and is a stunning runner. This loco can feature in the default time period or on a Jacobite style service, railtours and also if I choose to run the branchline in preserved mode. Also delivered are a couple of Mk1 carriages in Blue/Grey and Carmine/Cream which allow me to 'flex' the time period my layout is set in a little or just break up a rake of maroon coaches. The final item is a tank wagon for delivering fuel to Fort George.

Black 5.jpg

Iskra

Established Member
I've been having a bit of an operating session tonight, as the layout will soon be in a state of total disarray as it gets extended at one end. The camera certainly helps me identify items that need weathering attention, thosse buffers need some attention to make the timber look more natural, although they aren't the final buffers merely a stop gap.

Going against the grain a 20 on a freight;

FortGeorge.jpg

The Jinty is factory weathered but I think I need to do a bit more to it, seen here shunting wagons. Those blue Grain Hoppers are going to be a future weathering challenge too, they currently stick out like a sore thumb. And then there's the remaining track to do too...

FortGeorgeFreight.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do for the pantograph on this Hornby class 90? Brand new out of the box it sprung up and won't stay down, the force of it makes it seem unlikely that any form of glue is going to hold it down.

Panto.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
I've been having a bit of an operating session tonight, as the layout will soon be in a state of total disarray as it gets extended at one end. The camera certainly helps me identify items that need weathering attention, thosse buffers need some attention to make the timber look more natural, although they aren't the final buffers merely a stop gap.

Going against the grain a 20 on a freight;

View attachment 92398

The Jinty is factory weathered but I think I need to do a bit more to it, seen here shunting wagons. Those blue Grain Hoppers are going to be a future weathering challenge too, they currently stick out like a sore thumb. And then there's the remaining track to do too...

View attachment 92399

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do for the pantograph on this Hornby class 90? Brand new out of the box it sprung up and won't stay down, the force of it makes it seem unlikely that any form of glue is going to hold it down.

View attachment 92400
Liking the photos @Iskra. One of my main issues with model railways is the fact that brown wood is so often represented as being black in colour - Hornby sleepers being the main issue I suppose - so weathering the buffers would definitely be interesting and nice to see.
That Jinty looks nice with a slight weathering but it would definitely benefit from something more I think. Although it might be an idea to leave it slightly more clean than other locos: steam crews and depots often looked after 'pet' engines and kept them looking nice and clean :)
That Class 90 pantograph looks like the one on my old Hornby Class 91. The little grey bit sticking up from the closest horizontal bar on the pantograph in that photo is, I think, a small catch for part of the pantograph to sit under and therefore stay in place. You may need to slightly slide the pantograph over to the side of the catch but don't push too hard else you could break it.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Absolutely no idea about the pantograph I’m afraid, although Peters suggestion sounds like it might work.
Those grain wagons are really nice especially the weathered ones.
Did you get all the wood that you need for the extension? I remember reading that you’d bought some extra stuff.

Iskra

Established Member
Liking the photos @Iskra. One of my main issues with model railways is the fact that brown wood is so often represented as being black in colour - Hornby sleepers being the main issue I suppose - so weathering the buffers would definitely be interesting and nice to see.
That Jinty looks nice with a slight weathering but it would definitely benefit from something more I think. Although it might be an idea to leave it slightly more clean than other locos: steam crews and depots often looked after 'pet' engines and kept them looking nice and clean :)
That Class 90 pantograph looks like the one on my old Hornby Class 91. The little grey bit sticking up from the closest horizontal bar on the pantograph in that photo is, I think, a small catch for part of the pantograph to sit under and therefore stay in place. You may need to slightly slide the pantograph over to the side of the catch but don't push too hard else you could break it.

-Peter

Thank you! Yes, that's very true actually. I've had a go at a sample of buffers and they are drying now so hopefully they turn out looking better.

The answer with the pantograph actually turned out to be more force and not less, but I got there :D I think there is a fault in the design as it's not as good as the panto's that I had on the old 87/90/91 I had as a kid.

Absolutely no idea about the pantograph I’m afraid, although Peters suggestion sounds like it might work.
Those grain wagons are really nice especially the weathered ones.
Did you get all the wood that you need for the extension? I remember reading that you’d bought some extra stuff.

Yes, I've got another baseboard, legs and backscene boards but it's going to be a 2 man job lifting and rearranging the current boards safely so I need to wait until my father is around to do it. This will now make the layout an L-shape meaning slightly longer trains and another 2ft of scenic space, although I'm intrigued to see if the curve is going to cause me any operational issues.

I've lightly weathered the Jinty and I think it looks more realistic adding two new shades of weathering powder to it and dulling down the logos, numbers and buffer beam to give it a slightly more worked appearance without going over the top;

Jinty.jpg

Next up for weathering will be the bright blue grain hoppers although I'm slightly apprehensive with them.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Jinty looks brilliant now. Just the right level of weathering to my eyes.
What radius track will you have on the curve going into the new section?

Iskra

Established Member
The Jinty looks brilliant now. Just the right level of weathering to my eyes.
What radius track will you have on the curve going into the new section?
I've just realised looking at that photo that I need to deal with the shiny coal in the bunker too as that's not very realistic!

I'm actually going to try use a set of curved points, which will help allow for slightly longer trains. This would then introduce two different radius' I believe leading into the fiddle yard so there may be some testing required to see what works and what doesn't!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've just realised looking at that photo that I need to deal with the shiny coal in the bunker too as that's not very realistic!

I'm actually going to try use a set of curved points, which will help allow for slightly longer trains. This would then introduce two different radius' I believe leading into the fiddle yard so there may be some testing required to see what works and what doesn't!

I have had curved points on 00 gauge railway myself and I found that the sharpest ones (going into the fiddle yard on the inside track) caused me a few issues with certain locos.

Iskra

Established Member
I have had curved points on 00 gauge railway myself and I found that the sharpest ones (going into the fiddle yard on the inside track) caused me a few issues with certain locos.
Yeah, it's going to require some trial and error to see how it works. I have the alternative of just a normal curve as a back up, so we shall see how I get on with it once it is down.

Peter C

Established Member
Thank you! Yes, that's very true actually. I've had a go at a sample of buffers and they are drying now so hopefully they turn out looking better.
Oh cool - I'd be interested to see the result of that at some point.

The answer with the pantograph actually turned out to be more force and not less, but I got there :D I think there is a fault in the design as it's not as good as the panto's that I had on the old 87/90/91 I had as a kid.
Haha :D With a pantograph of that design but that livery, I'd bet it's a model from 2000-2010? They seem to be a bit hit-and-miss in my experience as it's the sort-of transition from older Hornby stuff of the 1980s/1990s to modern super-detail things.

I've lightly weathered the Jinty and I think it looks more realistic adding two new shades of weathering powder to it and dulling down the logos, numbers and buffer beam to give it a slightly more worked appearance without going over the top;

View attachment 92432

Next up for weathering will be the bright blue grain hoppers although I'm slightly apprehensive with them.
I'm liking that! Have you thought about adding a driver/fireman to the cab? I expect it would be pretty fiddly (hence why I've only done it with one of my locos) but they really do add to the look, especially if you weathered them too.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.