• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum Restructure

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Hold on a mo. Trip Planning & Reports isn't in the 'Rail Hobbies' section - but isn't bashing and spotting a hobby itself?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Potentially. We did discuss that, but we felt the current structure made most sense.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The posts in the 'UK Fares & Ticketing Guide' section of the forum are now out-of sequence. Section 1 seems okay, and Section 2 only has one post out of seq., but after that, they become more jumbled. I guess they've been indexed in date order, rather than in section number order.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This would be nothing to do with the re-ordering of other forums. As publicised, the guide is now partially out of date and the project team has been reconvened to look at an update, hopefully soon.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One recent matter that appears to have been added recently to the website was on index pages where at the left-hand side of each thread in the index, besides the normal avatar, is a secondary small avatar which when "hovered over",tells the number of postings that the website member has made on the thread in question.

Many thanks for the return of this information facility, which used to be once made available on the old vBulletin system by clicking on the posts box at the right-hand side of the thread on the index page.

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
I've been trying to get through to mods, unsuccessfully, and hopefully this posting has a chance. Under the new system, suddenly, I can't 'edit' a posting and the system just hangs, with a rectangle blob in the top right hand corner that just has dots going along it. The only way I can stop this is to log out and log in again. Any ideas please? Help!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've been trying to get through to mods, unsuccessfully, and hopefully this posting has a chance. Under the new system, suddenly, I can't 'edit' a posting and the system just hangs, with a rectangle blob in the top right hand corner that just has dots going along it. The only way I can stop this is to log out and log in again. Any ideas please? Help!
Sounds like a fault with your computer. Unfortunately I can’t help with that.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Sounds like a fault with your computer. Unfortunately I can’t help with that.
Thanks for replying anyway. I just don't understand why the fault only occurs with Rail UK and this specific action. If anyone else gets it, do report it. Oh, I forgot to mention why I just didn't hit 'report' on the post in question - that didn't work either! The other functions (quote, reply) work fine.

If I discover anything, I will reply to this thread to let you know.

Edit: I just did right click on the edit function of this post and now I am on a new tab and am editing. It has invited me to 'save changes' so let's see if it works. Will now hit 'save changes'.

Last edited:

HowardGWR

Established Member
Well, well, it worked. So I have a work around, but it's all a bit odd. :)

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for replying anyway. I just don't understand why the fault only occurs with Rail UK and this specific action. If anyone else gets it, do report it. Oh, I forgot to mention why I just didn't hit 'report' on the post in question - that didn't work either! The other functions (quote, reply) work fine.

If I discover anything, I will reply to this thread to let you know.

Edit: I just did right click on the edit function of this post and now I am on a new tab and am editing. It has invited me to 'save changes' so let's see if it works. Will now hit 'save changes'.

Clear your cache in the first instance

HowardGWR

Established Member
Clear your cache in the first instance
Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately i don't know what that means. Is it the same as 'clearing temporary files, cookies and so on' in Chrome and similar browsers?

Edit and update:
Thanks to Crossover. I cleared all the temporary data (all types), but no go. I uninstalled and re-downloaded Chrome but still no go. This update is being achieved with Edge and as you can see it works, so the problem is with Chrome. I am wondering if some recent extensions I incorporated in Chrome may be the problem, but I might just stay with Edge.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately i don't know what that means. Is it the same as 'clearing temporary files, cookies and so on' in Chrome and similar browsers?

Yes - sorry I was brief but I was on mobile at the time.

I had some odd things going on post upgrade where things weren't doing what they were meant to. Clearing the temporary files sorted it and I haven't had a problem since so it is definitely worth a go. The problem you describe sounds like something may be getting stuck in an infinite loading loop (the dots at the top right indicate loading from what I recall seeing before)

Strat-tastic

Established Member
One recent matter that appears to have been added recently to the website was on index pages where at the left-hand side of each thread in the index, besides the normal avatar, is a secondary small avatar which when clicked on, tells the number of postings that the website member has made on the thread in question.

Many thanks for the return of this information facility, which used to be once made available on the old vBulletin system by clicking on the posts box at the right-hand side of the thread on the index page.

I don't get that function... :s

HowardGWR

Established Member
Yes - sorry I was brief but I was on mobile at the time.
I had some odd things going on post upgrade where things weren't doing what they were meant to. Clearing the temporary files sorted it and I haven't had a problem since so it is definitely worth a go. The problem you describe sounds like something may be getting stuck in an infinite loading loop (the dots at the top right indicate loading from what I recall seeing before)

Thanks to you, Crossover. I cleared all the temporary data (all types), but no go. I uninstalled and re-downloaded Chrome but still no go. This update (see post #42) is being achieved with Edge and as you can see it works, so the problem is with Chrome. I am wondering if some recent extensions I incorporated in Chrome may be the problem, but I might just stay with Edge. The worst was -I discovered I couldn't access my bank account for a transaction, either! :(

Update: Hope this is useful to other members. If you want to re-install Chrome, don't do it from Chrome! Do it from another browser (e.g. IE or Edge) and first completely remove Chrome from your computer and then install it on a 'first time' basis. It will nevertheless pick up all your stuff from the chosen browser (bookmarks and so on). Having done that, I can now edit this email, of which this update is an example. I had sync'd my bookmarks to Edge before doing all this, and chose to bring them in from Edge when asked, so remember to do that, if you have that facility under Windows 10. Phew! Hope this may help other members.

Last edited:

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Try "hovering over" the small secondary avatar rather than clicking on it.

Got it. I thought you meant the number of posts from the creator i.e. the avatar shown, and didn't see any secondary one. I don't post much, you see ;) However, trying again just now there was a thread I'd posted in so saw the extra little avatar and presto hey! :idea:

Thanks.

A Challenge

Established Member
I do miss it being for everybody who has posted, particularly in the Quizzes and Games, but it is nice to have that, even though it is now unavailable on mobile (unless there is a way to hover I don't know).

A Challenge

Established Member
It doesn't, there used to be tapatalk but the forum upgrade has meant that the forum is no longer able to support tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.