• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Four dc / ac locations (or is it five)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In my experience travelling northbound the changeover always happens at City Thameslink.
For a long time. It was the Dec 2013 timetable change for 2014 when it became standard practice, as discussed here at the time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Any Thameslink drivers reading this? A quiz question has this wording
'Between The North Pole (a real pub in 2012) and Wormwood Scrubs is a railway bridge.
At that point on the line something happens that only happens at three other places in London. All those other places are stations. How many can you name?
'

The 'official' answer is Drayton Park, Farringdon and Acton Central.
However, I was on a Thameslink train yesterday (Sunday 16th May). On Sundays, trains do not call at City Thameslink. However, my train came to a halt in the station and the driver explained (I paraphrase) that it was to do the changeover from dc to ac. My later return train did the changeover at Farringdon and did not stop at City Thameslink.
Is it standard practice for the northbound services to changeover at City Thameslink and the southbound at Farringdon?
If it is, the 'official' answer to the question is not quite right.

Thameslink have been changing northbound at City Thameslink since 2014 (I believe).
Until then, it was always at Farringdon, regardless of direction.

Need2

99.9% of the Thameslink services I use always change power supply at Farringdon in both directions
Are you really sure?
I can say with 100% accuracy that I do not know of any driver who completes the changeover (in normal/fault free conditions) heading north at anywhere else other than City Thameslink.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are you really sure?
I can say with 100% accuracy that I do not know of any driver who completes the changeover (in normal/fault free conditions) heading north at anywhere else other than City Thameslink.

Agreed. Northbound it is at City TL, and has been for a decade.

Isn’t the changeover automatic now anyway?

Steve Harris

From D.C. to AC there is a regular passenger service from Willesden LL to Stratford with the changeover on the new lines.

Regular as in once a day!
And been happening regularly for 20+ years(?).

I remember bashing the line at the turn of the century... (I think at that time it was the old Liverpool St - Willesden L. L., but I could miss remembering).

Status
Not open for further replies.