• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight terminal electrification prototype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

themiller

Scraping my brain here. but wasnt there a system that was trackside that could move rail vehicles. Just a 'thing' on narrow gauge rails trackside that would put a probe into the train then move to push it along. Maybe in 3rd rail depots. The 'thing' could be a small electric loco, or a device made to move by a big threaded shaft between the tracks. Might have been when there were unfitted wagons tho....
or maybe I am talking rubbish...
I believe that it’s called a ‘mole’. It’s powered by wires under the rail level. If I remember correctly, there’s at least one installation in a Swiss facility (perhaps Lausanne). Viable in a busy marshalling yard but maybe not so when only needed a couple of times a day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
Surely the definitive solution on cost and efficiency grounds has to be the modern equivalent of the fireless steam shunter.

A battery powered shunter with a pan, that returns to the headshunt if required for a quick top up. Most of its time would be spent under wires topping up as it moves.

XAM2175

Established Member
Scraping my brain here. but wasnt there a system that was trackside that could move rail vehicles. Just a 'thing' on narrow gauge rails trackside that would put a probe into the train then move to push it along.
I believe that it’s called a ‘mole’. It’s powered by wires under the rail level. If I remember correctly, there’s at least one installation in a Swiss facility (perhaps Lausanne). Viable in a busy marshalling yard but maybe not so when only needed a couple of times a day.

Could you perhaps be describing a concept similar to the wagenförderanlage, or carriage conveyor system?

The Swiss installation I know of is at the Limmattal yard, and I believe DB have a few as well (definitely one at Maschen) - but I agree, overkill for all but the busiest yards.

furnessvale

Established Member
Could you perhaps be describing a concept similar to the wagenförderanlage, or carriage conveyor system?

The Swiss installation I know of is at the Limmattal yard, and I believe DB have a few as well (definitely one at Maschen) - but I agree, overkill for all but the busiest yards.
I believe that is the system being described, but its main purpose is to close up hump shunted wagons that have stopped short during humping.

GB

Established Member
From a container terminal perspective...

A diesel shunter costs in the region of £50-60k per year to rent and depending how much shunting you do you are only filling it up every couple of weeks. Berthing a train with a diesel shunter is also much quicker because as soon as the train is stopped it can be worked on immediately. Moveable catenary is likely to be very expensive and adds another layer of failure potential and adds another layer processes and checks before a train could be worked....

Lines in container terminals would need to be significantly separated from each other requiring more land and cost and there won't be anyone willing to sign off a risk assessment for crane or plant working close to or over an engergised line to get to an unenergised line. Stopping all loading and unloading moves while train movements take place will be a no no from a time and capacity stand point.

Moveable catenary might work in some single line yards or new yards that are specifically set up for it (not withstanding the issues above) but there is no way such systems will work in already established yards.

themiller

That’s it! Having just checked on my map app, I see that part of Muttenz is equipped but Lausanne isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.