• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freight traffic in and around Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1b0

Subsequent to a previous thread I am looking at photographing freight loco. I have identified three terminals near me:
  • Lawley Street FTT
  • Birch Coppice FTT
  • Hams Hall FTT
Lawley Street FTT does not appear to have any opportunities to snap, as per Google Satellite and this.
Birch Coppice FTT Might be OK with a tripod and tele lens on the bridge on Ansley Hall way MAP
Hams Hall FTT not so good again. Here. Might be able to shoot through the railings, or over the top with a ladder, which will no doubt attract unwanted attention.

Does anyone know of good spots to shot the terminals. And is there any good locations to see the loco's coming and going? I'm going to look a bit more at RTT to see if there is a 'sweet spot' for the freight.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

k1b0

Water Orton looks like a good place a fair bit of freight, interesting station building, low passenger traffic and possibly unmanned. Oh plus station and bridge level phot ops.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Agree that Water Orton is OK - on platform, or public footbridge on east side of station.

Not been for several years, but unless they have raised the bridge parapets, there used to be views from the overbridge (site of former Saltley station) about 1/4 to 1/2 mile east of Lawley Street. Surrounding area was a bit "dodgy", so probably best to avoid if alone after late afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.