• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val3ntine

Hi everyone congratulations on all that passed the tests. I have got a question and I am hoping someone can help me with it. I took the tests for London midland in 2016 I was told I failed on the dff. So only done the written tests that time round.I then applied for Freightliner I was told by the opc that all my marks was a good enough pass to proceed to stage 2 including the dff. Unfortunately I failed on the black square test moment of madness and pressed the button once too often. Does anyone know or can shed any light does this mean I have had my 2 strikes or could I possibly apply for Freightliner in the future as technically I have only failed for Freightliner once.
Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Hey mate. In short you have 1 life left so apply to every and any TOC. If a TOC requires a standard at london midland’s level or higher then you will have used up both chances with said TOC as you would have failed two tests twice.
But as I said apply to every and any TOC knowing you have 1 more life and they will tell you if you get through the sift wether you can be accepted or not.
It gets confusing because even a TOC that requires enhanced level pass have different pass levels as you’ve already experienced, so all you can do is apply and see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stanstaff

Hey mate. In short you have 1 life left so apply to every and any TOC. If a TOC requires a standard at london midland’s level or higher then you will have used up both chances with said TOC as you would have failed two tests twice.
But as I said apply to every and any TOC knowing you have 1 more life and they will tell you if you get through the sift wether you can be accepted or not.
It gets confusing because even a TOC that requires enhanced level pass have different pass levels as you’ve already experienced, so all you can do is apply and see.
Hi Mate thank you very much for your response and advice, you are right it is very confusing, I am relieved I still have 1 life left so hopefully in the future something will come up again and I will pass it.
Thanks again.

GMT

I know.....gotta be another round of Medicals next I think.
As DMcq2010 said, if they don't kick off with the training in March first we won't be hearing from them. Then I suppose they may start with us with the medicals, and CRB perhaps.

It's strange though that now I'm writing what I was reading from others a few months ago. Now those are doing the training...and I'm here...waiting :) hoping they don't drag it to 2020 :frown:

GLENMAYE77

As DMcq2010 said, if they don't kick off with the training in March first we won't be hearing from them. Then I suppose they may start with us with the medicals, and CRB perhaps.

It's strange though that now I'm writing what I was reading from others a few months ago. Now those are doing the training...and I'm here...waiting :) hoping they don't drag it to 2020 :frown:

We just don’t know. I first applied back in July, sat stage 1 on 31st Aug, Stage 2 in Nov and have been in the pool since Dec.
However there are people on here in the pool who have been waiting longer.

DMcq2010

Don't worry about it guys, just keep posted on this page and checking your emails. We know there are courses this year but the recruitment team must be outrageously busy. From the previous pool swimmers it looks like dbs' and medicals start within a 1-2 month period before the training starts. Running by that theory and if what we are led to believe is true that there is another course in may it will be a good 4-6 weeks at least until you hear anything I would have thought and that's only if you are allocated to the next available course.

mumrar

Established Member
Despite asking for a bit of detailed feedback as to where I was let down in the interview after waiting 2 weeks for a response I got a slightly longer than a default generic "unlucky, lots of applicants" response. All the best for those still waiting and those treading water in the pool.

Stigy

Established Member
Despite asking for a bit of detailed feedback as to where I was let down in the interview after waiting 2 weeks for a response I got a slightly longer than a default generic "unlucky, lots of applicants" response. All the best for those still waiting and those treading water in the pool.
So was it as you wanted? Or is there anair of sarcasm there? Genuinely interested as I never asked for anything beyond the same generic type email you got first time round.

mumrar

Established Member
So was it as you wanted? Or is there anair of sarcasm there? Genuinely interested as I never asked for anything beyond the same generic type email you got first time round.
Well, I'd hoped they may have been able to identify an area of weakness perhaps, somewhere which in the way they score when alaysing the interview says to them why I didn't score as well as others as there must be a criteria. There is an air of sarcasm because the initial response welcomes me to try again in 6 months but then my request for help in ensuring I come back stronger seemed to go unanswered to the point that if I did get the chance in 6 months I don't know what to do differently or how to be.

Im known for being very talkative and sometimes overly so, I feel that perhaps my nervousness of that happening in the interview lead me to shut myself up when perhaps I'd have had a fuller dialogue but I'll never know it seems.

I'll sign off by once again genuinely wishing all of those successful in passing the DMI all the best for the future be you on a course or a waiting list.

Thanks

Mike121

Well, I'd hoped they may have been able to identify an area of weakness perhaps, somewhere which in the way they score when alaysing the interview says to them why I didn't score as well as others as there must be a criteria. There is an air of sarcasm because the initial response welcomes me to try again in 6 months but then my request for help in ensuring I come back stronger seemed to go unanswered to the point that if I did get the chance in 6 months I don't know what to do differently or how to be.

Im known for being very talkative and sometimes overly so, I feel that perhaps my nervousness of that happening in the interview lead me to shut myself up when perhaps I'd have had a fuller dialogue but I'll never know it seems.

I'll sign off by once again genuinely wishing all of those successful in passing the DMI all the best for the future be you on a course or a waiting list.

Thanks

Best advice I can give you is take deep breaths, and think before you speak. Waffling in an interview for a train driver is a no no... they will be marking you on your communication skills.

Stigy

Established Member
Best advice I can give you is take deep breaths, and think before you speak. Waffling in an interview for a train driver is a no no... they will be marking you on your communication skills.
I agree about waffling, however there is a difference between nervous waffling and being talkative. Being talkative shows enthusiasm and can be a benefit (although too much can be an annoyance), whereas waffling shows nervousness.

Stigy

Established Member

Thanks
It may be that you were on a par with a lot of others who did get through, but they can’t recruit everybody. Or that you didn’t score badly, but other candidates scored better? They had 4,000 applicants after all. Agreed it would be nice to get specifics, but there may be nothing in their notes which would help recruitment advise you on your weaker points.

class 9

Often people read a lot into interview rejections, it is said that interviewers make their mind up within the first minute, they might just not 'like' you.

Mike121

Sort of... she said that there are current depot drivers that are looking at going mainline driving ... and was offering me a depot driver role starting in April (to replace these guys).

Stigy

Established Member
Sort of... she said that there are current depot drivers that are looking at going mainline driving ... and was offering me a depot driver role starting in April (to replace these guys).
So refresh my memory here, were you knocked back by Freightliner initially? Or did they offer you a mainline role and you rejected? Wondered if they were asking those close to the depot wanting depot drivers who may not have been successful for mainline....

Mike121

So refresh my memory here, were you knocked back by Freightliner initially? Or did they offer you a mainline role and you rejected? Wondered if they were asking those close to the depot wanting depot drivers who may not have been successful for mainline....

Hi Stigy! I got put in the pool in November. First I heard was today.. saying that there depot drivers were being priorised for mainline driving. And they were looking to replace these guys... I have a job at a TOC so I declined their offer. Told them to remove me from the pool.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi Stigy! I got put in the pool in November. First I heard was today.. saying that there depot drivers were being priorised for mainline driving. And they were looking to replace these guys... I have a job at a TOC so I declined their offer. Told them to remove me from the pool.
Hi, understood now. Any idea what they pay their depot drivers? Sounds like a sound decision for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.