• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Various Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rachael92

I passed the assessment with a toc in January 2018 and currently sitting in a talent pool, does that mean I can't apply for this role?

stjimmy87

I thought they laid loads of people off recently? I wouldn't see this as a secure long term job if that's the case.

RollingOn

It is quite clear in the advert that you must currently live within 60 mins of your chosen depot. I always see people saying they live further but will apply anyway. My question is, has anyone been successfull in doing this in a similar situation where it appears to be strictly 60 mins of your current home?

Goingloco

Can anyone shed any light on the OPC questions that preceed stage 1? I've not experienced these previously so any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheggers

I passed the assessment with a toc in January 2018 and currently sitting in a talent pool, does that mean I can't apply for this role?
Yes you will be fine as you've passed assessments. I "think" it's only if you've failed assessments in last 6 month's. I think......

martin2345uk

Established Member
Can anyone shed any light on the OPC questions that preceed stage 1? I've not experienced these previously so any thoughts gratefully received.

Pretty straightforward "choose the answer you best think applies" etc type things, nothing to stress about, just get it done when you have 30 mins quiet time to spare.

Goingloco

Thanks Martin that's helpful. Nothing that I can prep for which was what I was after.

Yellowbelly

Just submitted for Peterborough. Some freightliner history questions to give people a heads up. My first time applying so not expecting to much. Reading the whole recruitment process it gives no reference to CV upload. Does anyone know why this might be?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just submitted for Peterborough. Some freightliner history questions to give people a heads up. My first time applying so not expecting to much. Reading the whole recruitment process it gives no reference to CV upload. Does anyone know why this might be?

This way they narrow the numbers down first without having to look at any CVs..?

Yellowbelly

So I’m slap bang in the middle of Peterborough and Birmingham can any one say whether you can apply to both separately as they’re two separate adverts but with the same company? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Suraggu

When G&W bought Freightliner from the Arab investment group it was just as Coal traffic was about to go off a cliff edge. Drivers were made redundant as they had no work to do, some were purely dedicated to Coal. But since then traffic has boomed with increasing Infrastructure work along with Aggregates and Cement.

The HH side of the vacancies Crewe, Peterborough, Reading and Tilbury have a lot of infrastructure work which for job security is great as NR have a great relationship with Freightliner and keep sending work that way.

Peak Forest (Tunstead) is mainly aggregates traffic. And its going to get manic with work in the next few years thanks to the order for 400 MWA box wagons, with HS2 on the horizon.

Thamesport is the new depot as Hoo Jct is moving there for the new BAA fuel contract to Heathrow. That work will increase, plus with the Infrastructure work Hoo already have and that is likely to be very secure.

Monopoli

Morning all,
Just wondering can some give me a overview of the job and what's expected?
The one thing I was concern about was being away from home, would this be always the case or did I read this wrong?

Last edited:

Yellowbelly

Morning all,
Just worrying can some give me a overview of the job and what's expected?
The one thing I was concern about was being away from home, would this be always the case or did I read this wrong?
How I see it is you need to be prepared to be away from home for unprepared periods so not permanent but periodically when it suits where you maybe working from. This suits working time directives and you’ll be fully supported by the company you are applying for.

GJL9916

So my application says one questionnaire per post so can I apply for both Peterborough and Birmingham?

I am not sure about two different depots, I cant see the harm as long you live within 60 minutes of each? There are two positions at Crewe so should be OK applying for both I hope but I haven't started the application yet, I will have to wait until I get a spare hour or two later in the week!

I did notice it's the same reference / activation code on both of the positions so maybe you just need to do the tests once but you can then clarify which positions / depots you are going for later in the application, I am unsure until I start the application i'm sorry.

You could always drop their HR team an email for some clarity

GJL9916

From what I can gather job history doesn't matter too much (unless of course you've drove trains before) by looks of it they are more interested in passing the SJT & VSE tests and making sure you have the right mental capacity / concentration levels, once they've sifted through them I imagine you'll get the chance to upload your CV or even take it with you to one of the interviews if we pass the tests!

Were they just generic kind of Freightliner history questions? Then the Situational tests and Visual search ones? I've been practising for a similar position so hopefully the practise will be of good use for these tests as well!

Harbon 1

From what I can gather job history doesn't matter too much (unless of course you've drove trains before) by looks of it they are more interested in passing the SJT & VSE tests and making sure you have the right mental capacity / concentration levels, once they've sifted through them I imagine you'll get the chance to upload your CV or even take it with you to one of the interviews if we pass the tests!

Were they just generic kind of Freightliner history questions? Then the Situational tests and Visual search ones? I've been practising for a similar position so hopefully the practise will be of good use for these tests as well!

Generic history questions yes :) The situational ones were 3 most/least important roles and a generic train driver situational rank the answers 1-4 as you would do them task.

PaulBusDriver

I applied last night, the company history questions were easily answered by a look on the companys website.
Next there were some situational judgement questions, none very specific but along the lines of "I work long hours alone" or "I do several tasks at once" which you had to give a answer ranging from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree and neither agree nor disagree inbetween.
After that there were some questions that were more specific but outlined a scenario in which you were given four answers,
you had the pick the best likely response from 1 being the one you'd most likely behave like if you were in the given scenario and 4 being the least likely way to react to the given example.
Some were very easy to choose, based on my knowledge of rules and regs in a similar working environment but I expect a few total newcomers could be caught out by them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.