• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

From Monday 19th July - Government has laid Regulations revoking (most) restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It sounds like if anyone is going to try and force a u-turn on this unlocking, it's the international scientific community, who are voicing condemnation for the planned unlocking next week:

Imbeciles.

As for the guardian.

Ignore them and get on with it, like the US has done.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
"Scientists say one of the most vaccinated countries in the world taking their masks off is a threat to the world"

Well done Science, well done...
I guess the are only bothered by masks as they are visible (but ineffective).

they seem to be less bothered by opening of night clubs, increasing capacity in venues etc. Maybe the know we can’t afford to keep them closed forever.

they will blame any rise next week on “freedom day” forgetting that there is a lag in the numbers. If I test positive today it won’t be reported until at least Monday. We have seen the impact of Sunday yet. Be very interesting if numbers start dropping wb 26th July. Then what will these scientists do. Likewise if other countries in Europe increase at the same rate what will they say. St Nicola (who’s country is higher in terms of infection per capita) will blame the English and say if they were independent Scotland would be at 0 by now.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I guess the are only bothered by masks as they are visible (but ineffective).

they seem to be less bothered by opening of night clubs, increasing capacity in venues etc. Maybe the know we can’t afford to keep them closed forever.

they will blame any rise next week on “freedom day” forgetting that there is a lag in the numbers. If I test positive today it won’t be reported until at least Monday. We have seen the impact of Sunday yet. Be very interesting if numbers start dropping wb 26th July. Then what will these scientists do. Likewise if other countries in Europe increase at the same rate what will they say. St Nicola (who’s country is higher in terms of infection per capita) will blame the English and say if they were independent Scotland would be at 0 by now.
It's not just that, think of the message these scientists are sending. One of the most successful vaccination programmes in the world means that we are a risk to the rest of the world. How is that going to help countries struggling to convince their populations to have the bloody thing. These people are so obsessed with getting their own way, they ignore the consequences of their words. I hope one day they are brought to account.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It's not just that, think of the message these scientists are sending. One of the most successful vaccination programmes in the world means that we are a risk to the rest of the world. How is that going to help countries struggling to convince their populations to have the bloody thing. These people are so obsessed with getting their own way, they ignore the consequences of their words. I hope one day they are brought to account.
That is a very good point. I am thinking why did I bother? It is making no difference to our ability to live a normal life. Definitely won’t be getting the boosters.

brad465

Established Member
Doesn't look like Sajid Javid will be around in person to oversee changes next week:

Health Secretary Sajid Javid says he has tested positive for Covid-19, but has had two jabs and his symptoms are "very mild".
Mr Javid, who became health secretary in June, said he had taken a lateral flow test after feeling a "bit groggy" on Friday night and it was positive.
He said he was now self-isolating until he got the results of a PCR test.
On Friday, the UK recorded more than 50,000 daily cases for the first time since mid-January.
In a video posted on his Twitter feed, Mr Javid said: "I was feeling a bit groggy last night, so I took a lateral flow test this morning and it's come out positive, so I'm now self-isolating at home with my family until i get the results of a PCR test."
"I'm grateful that I've had two jabs of the vaccine and so far my symptoms are very mild."
He urged people who had not been vaccinated yet to "get out there and get them as soon as you can".

STINT47

I was looking at this months railway magazines in WH Smith earlier to see if they had articles that would be of enough interest to me to make a purchase. I was somewhat taken aback to be told by a member of staff not to touch any magazines due to covid rules. I said that this seems a bit over the top as I like to browse before a purchase and was advised that it's policy from her manager and I should bear in mind that by opening the magazine I have technically purchased it and the store could charge me for the three magazines that I had looked through.

Not wanting to create a scene and bearing in mind that the staff member was doing as she was instructed I did not say anymore. Far from removing restrictions and giving us freedom it looks like some businesses are set to continue with excessive caution that have little value.

Incidentally after this exchange I left the store as I had to purchase some food from Sainsburys and purchased the magazine that I had decided to buy before the encounter with the staff member from there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was looking at this months railway magazines in WH Smith earlier to see if they had articles that would be of enough interest to me to make a purchase. I was somewhat taken aback to be told by a member of staff not to touch any magazines due to covid rules. I said that this seems a bit over the top as I like to browse before a purchase and was advised that it's policy from her manager and I should bear in mind that by opening the magazine I have technically purchased it and the store could charge me for the three magazines that I had looked through.
This is not true; they just made it up
Not wanting to create a scene and bearing in mind that the staff member was doing as she was instructed I did not say anymore. Far from removing restrictions and giving us freedom it looks like some businesses are set to continue with excessive caution that have little value.
I'm quite prepared to refuse to give my custom to suich shops, hopefully others will too

Incidentally after this exchange I left the store as I had to purchase some food from Sainsburys and purchased the magazine that I had decided to buy before the encounter with the staff member from there.
Glad to hear you got the magazine from an alternative supplier. If several people do this, they'll have to change their ways

greyman42

Established Member
Bear in mind that it was not that long ago that experts were spouting rubbish that you could catch covid from letters and parcels.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
This is not true; they just made it up

I'm quite prepared to refuse to give my custom to suich shops, hopefully others will too

Glad to hear you got the magazine from an alternative supplier. If several people do this, they'll have to change their ways

Smith's are in trouble as it is!

greyman42

Established Member
That is a very good point. I am thinking why did I bother? It is making no difference to our ability to live a normal life. Definitely won’t be getting the boosters.
I think you would be better of getting any boosters that are available. Remember from Monday most restrictions are being dropped so don't take much notice of what some barmpot scientist says as they don't make government policies.

duncanp

Established Member
Most US states I think removed almost all restrictions several weeks or some cases months ago. Are they too undertaking a dangerous and unethical experiment?

In any case, the UK has less than 1% of the world’s population. A vaccine resistant variant is statistically much more likely to arise somewhere else, regardless of what the UK does.

The fact that the locktivists on SAGE have had to get their friends in the "International Scientific Community" to issue this ridiculous statement shows how desperate they are becoming.

They failed to stop the government going ahead with stage 4, and prostituting themselves all over the UK media didn't work either.

So now they have resorted to this.

And I wonder how representative of all scientists in the word these 1,200 people are.

KeithMcC

With respect to buying (or not) magazines from Smiths, one of the few benefits of all of this is that our local libraries service now have a much bigger range of magazines available electronically, including Railway Mag, so my need to buy magazines has reduced anyway.
Wish they would add Bylines to their list, but it is probably too niche!

Class 33

Established Member
I was onboard a total of 6 buses today between Bristol and Bathampton. I'd say roughly only about 50% were wearing face masks on average across those 6 buses I used and in Bristol and Bath bus stations. I expect this to easily drop further come Monday, and will continue receeding as the weeks go on. Anyone who believes these dubious polls saying two thirds(or 70% or whatever) of people are still going to continue wearing face masks on public transport from 19th July are going to be in for a shock! The vast majority of the British public are well and truly fed up of wearing the darn things and can't wait to ditch them without any problems come Monday!

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I was onboard a total of 6 buses today between Bristol and Bathampton. I'd say roughly only about 50% were wearing face masks on average across those 6 buses I used and in Bristol and Bath bus stations. I expect this to easily drop further come Monday, and will continue receeding as the weeks go on. Anyone who believes these dubious polls saying two thirds(or 70% or whatever) of people are still going to continue wearing face masks on public transport from 19th July are going to be in for a shock! The vast majority of the British public are well and truly fed up of wearing the darn things and can't wait to ditch them without any problems come Monday!

I bet those not wearing them did have one in their bag/pocket but just decided not to wear them especially with today's high temperatures. I bet most buses aren't air-conditioned.

brad465

Established Member
I bet those not wearing them did have one in their bag/pocket but just decided not to wear them especially with today's high temperatures. I bet most buses aren't air-conditioned.
If that's the case that'll continue into next week, as the warm/hot weather is lasting till at least Wednesday, if not longer.

Andyh82

Established Member
I caught three buses today and I’d say a good 90% were still wearing masks, even a group of teenagers who got on were wearing them, although they may have lowered them once they’d reached the back seats.

317 forever

Established Member
An understandable preferance, which I originally planned myself. However, with all the stats worse than last summer I have decided to continue to wear mine. I believe it will help other passengers and shop staff in particular near me feel more at ease.

greyman42

Established Member
An understandable preferance, which I originally planned myself. However, with all the stats worse than last summer I have decided to continue to wear mine. I believe it will help other passengers and shop staff in particular near me feel more at ease.
What makes you think that other passengers and shop staff feel uneasy?

Jimini

Established Member
I was in my local M&S earlier, and it was genuinely quite uplifting to see them peeling all the 2 metre markings up off the floor in advance of tomorrow's restrictions lifting :D

Smidster

What makes you think that other passengers and shop staff feel uneasy?

If anything that is one of the real problems with the non medical face coverings that they give people a false sense of security and lead to people getting closer for longer than they otherwise would.

I would much rather be 2m away from someone with a mask than 1m from someone with a flimsy piece of cloth half covering their nose.

ABB125

Established Member
Quick question, apologies for not reading further back in this or any other thread (and apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in):

Will I need to wear a mask on trains tomorrow, and if not is there a succinct "stock phrase" I can use if and when challenged (eg: "it's no longer a legal requirement, therefore I'm not wearing one")? I will, however, need to wear a mask on the Underground?

Thanks very much. :)

3rd rail land

Quick question, apologies for not reading further back in this or any other thread (and apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in):

Will I need to wear a mask on trains tomorrow, and if not is there a succinct "stock phrase" I can use if and when challenged (eg: "it's no longer a legal requirement, therefore I'm not wearing one")? I will, however, need to wear a mask on the Underground?

This is all correct. Personally I'd just say it's not a legal requirement and then walk away, if the situation allows, so as not to give the staff member time to respond. I can't imagine they'll tailgate your around the station/shop/wherever.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member

As of when I last checked, TfL and its subsidiaries, Metrolink, and LNER purport to continue to make face coverings mandatory on their services after the rules are revoked in 40 minutes.

All other TOCs “encourage” or “expect” them to be worn. You are most unlikely indeed to be challenged.

ABB125

Established Member
This is all correct. Personally I'd just say it's not a legal requirement and then walk away, if the situation allows, so as not give the staff member time to respond. I can't imagine they'll tailgate your around the station/shop/wherever.

As of when I last checked, TfL and its subsidiaries, Metrolink, and LNER purport to continue to make face coverings mandatory on their services after the rules are revoked in 40 minutes.

All other TOCs “encourage” or “expect” them to be worn. You are most unlikely indeed to be challenged.
Excellent, thanks both.

kristiang85

Established Member
So it seems that NHS staff might be exempted from self isolation after a T&T notification.

If this is about protecting the vulnerable, then why exempt that subset of society who will probably have most contact with the most vulnerable? It makes no sense.

This needs to be dropped for everybody.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Freedom has once again been restored in England. Social Distancing and the mask mandate have now ended, and all businesses are once again open.

Let us hope that this evening marks the end of a dark, sad period for our country of which will be purely confined to history books from here-on in. Be kind, respect the opinions and personal choices of others and, most importantly, enjoy your newfound freedom. I hope I'm not far behind you all!

Cdd89

Established Member
It is surreal to be emerging on what might well be the other side of the pandemic. To those nervous about this step, there probably isn’t any more reassurance but I expect we will all find ourselves on the same side on this in a few weeks. Which side that is depends on how the gamble pays off; but it’s in everyone’s interests to be optimistic now.

Status
Not open for further replies.