• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FTR at Bruton

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
Just zoomed through Bruton station and there is an FTR parked up in the car park next to the station on the London bound side, still in First Barbie colours. Does anyone know what it's doing there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
It was at Somerset Passenger Solutions and it has been reported on another group that it is there to have some work done on it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
What is an FTR?

It was an ill fated project by First Group introducing what seemed to be rapid transit streetcars but what were really bendibuses with off bus ticketing. However, their design meant the vehicle capacity (seated) was no better than a standard B7RLE, and when the off bus ticketing machines proved unreliable, they then required a two person crew. So expensive to buy, expensive to operate in both staff and fuel, required a lot of road improvements in Swansea and York, and for no reason tangible benefit except it seemed exotic and modern. More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTR_(bus)

No, Go-Ahead operate one on the Luton Airport Parkway shuttle.

Thanks - I'd forgotten about that one

dazzler

It was an ill fated project by First Group introducing what seemed to be rapid transit streetcars but what were really bendibuses with off bus ticketing. However, their design meant the vehicle capacity (seated) was no better than a standard B7RLE, and when the off bus ticketing machines proved unreliable, they then required a two person crew. So expensive to buy, expensive to operate in both staff and fuel, required a lot of road improvements in Swansea and York, and for no reason tangible benefit except it seemed exotic and modern. More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTR_(bus)

Replying to the quote in bold: The original ticket machines in York were on board the bus. The reason they stopped working was due to the ticket machines not being suitable for being bounced around all day, every day on York's Roman and Mediaeval road infrastructure.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

It also ran in Leeds on service 4 before the Streetcars were transfered to the 72 and relaunched as Hyperlink in a two tone blue livery. As far as I know none of the Leeds based vehicles exist anymore.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Replying to the quote in bold: The original ticket machines in York were on board the bus. The reason they stopped working was due to the ticket machines not being suitable for being bounced around all day, every day on York's Roman and Mediaeval road infrastructure.

Sorry - my mistake. I remember only when the conductors had appeared

dazzler

Sorry - my mistake. I remember only when the conductors had appeared

Not a problem! :D On street ticket machines would last about 5 minutes at the Acomb end of the number 4 bus route. Possibly less if installed in the afternoon in winter! ;)

Having conductors did result in quicker loading and a lower incidence of fare dodging, as they could just get a bus load on board and take fares en-route - especially handy at the University end of the route. With the on-board machines it was not unknown for an ftr to sit at the main University stop for 15 - 20 minutes loading as each person had to make 5 or 6 attempts to get the machine to accept their quid coins! On an 8 minute service frequency, this was somewhat disruptive. It was also quite easy to slip on board without paying if the driver was distracted, something which was much appreciated by the local scrotes at the Acomb end of the route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not a problem! :D On street ticket machines would last about 5 minutes at the Acomb end of the number 4 bus route. Possibly less if installed in the afternoon in winter! ;)

Having conductors did result in quicker loading and a lower incidence of fare dodging, as they could just get a bus load on board and take fares en-route - especially handy at the University end of the route. With the on-board machines it was not unknown for an ftr to sit at the main University stop for 15 - 20 minutes loading as each person had to make 5 or 6 attempts to get the machine to accept their quid coins! On an 8 minute service frequency, this was somewhat disruptive. It was also quite easy to slip on board without paying if the driver was distracted, something which was much appreciated by the local scrotes at the Acomb end of the route.

Bit harsh on Acomb though, as my brother in law lives next door in Woodthorpe, I do know what you mean :D

randyrippley

Established Member
Given the goofball collection that the old Brutonian bus company ran, having something different like this turn up in Bruton seems somewhat apt

Ianno87

Veteran Member
This thread is timely - whipped passed the FTR at Bruton myself the other day and was similarly confused/intrigued!

B7rleThrasher

19010 is now an SPS machine for internal staff shuttles - it was stored at Yeovil for a few months pending a decision to be made regarding its future.

awsnews

There is a seller on ebay currently advertising 7 of them for sale, presumably the ones which were in store in Wales.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Sorry for dragging up an old thread. Have any of these buses been snapped up and moved on to other uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.