• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Further Restrictions Announced by Johnson (22/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Not that I personally want one , but an actual true full lockdown at the first opportunity , may well have worked.
And would certainly have been incredibly dangerous and damaging.

baz962

Established Member
Not the "no true lockdown" argument again.
Not an argument , just a fact . I'm not pro lockdown at all and as a key worker I was out most day's , but let's not say we had a full lockdown when we didn't.

Yew

Established Member
Not an argument , just a fact . I'm not pro lockdown at all and as a key worker I was out most day's , but let's not say we had a full lockdown when we didn't.

I think given that it has been repeatedly called a lockdown in the media, it's a reasonable term to use. Perhaps it may not have been the most strict, and we can debate the relative effectivenesses in other threads, but this semantic pedantry adds nothing to the discussion.

baz962

Established Member
I think given that it has been repeatedly called a lockdown in the media, it's a reasonable term to use. Perhaps it may not have been the most strict, and we can debate the relative effectivenesses in other threads, but this semantic pedantry adds nothing to the discussion.
I think it does , the poster I was replying to said a full lockdown didn't work. The fact it wasn't actually a full lockdown and was a partial lockdown , could be the reason it didn't work. It may not have been the reason . But how can you say something didn't work , when we didn't actually do it.

greyman42

Established Member
Not that I personally want one , but an actual true full lockdown at the first opportunity , may well have worked.
So are you saying that if we had had a full lockdown then the virus would now be eliminated?

duncanp

Established Member
Although 50,000 cases per day sounds like a big number, it was estimated that there were 100,000 new infections per day during the early stages of the pandemic in April, with only a fraction of these being recorded as testing positive for COVID-19 due to the low levels of testing.

And yet with approximately 100,000 new infections per day, the NHS was not overwhelmed, with the Nightingale hospitals barely used.

Fast forward to today, when there is a lot more testing being done despite the glitches in the system. I can't help but wonder what the actual level of new infections per day is now compared to April, and what proportion of these are being caught by the testing system.

So although 50,000 cases per day sounds like a scary number, does it actually matter, if only a small proportion of these are hospitalised and the NHS is able to cope?

Similarly with deaths. Whilst 200 deaths per day is 200 too many, people die every day from all sorts of diseases and accidents, and the country does not come to a stop. You have to balance the 200 deaths per day from COVID-19 with the excess deaths from conditions which are left untreated, such and cancer and heart disease, as well as the incease in suicides. What matters is the level of excess deaths, and whether this is something that we are all prepared to live with. After all, we accept a certain number of deaths on the roads every day, as the price of being able to use road transport.

I can't help thinking that Boris is trying to scare people though, and the reality will be less serious. If cases stabilise by the end of October, he may extend pub closing time to 11pm, and then to midnight in time for Christmas and the New Year. Similarly for the relaxation of visiting restrictions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder if pub hours will ever be unrestricted again? The Police and local authorities notably don't like late opening. Could we end up with it back at 11pm permanently I wonder?

baz962

Established Member
So are you saying that if we had had a full lockdown then the virus would now be eliminated?
Did you actually read the part where I said it could of been or may not have been . I said we don't know . But you can't say a full lockdown didn't work , when we didn't have one.

Andyh82

Established Member
Absolutely amazed that masks were not required in taxis and private hire as soon as that applied to other public transport - the closed environment means near guaranteed spread if driver or passenger has it, unless there is a full height screen with no "money hole". Indeed I thought they were!
Most people I’ve seen in taxis and most of the drivers as well have been wearing face coverings in my experience for months now. They are just formalising what most people were doing anyway.

You’ve had to wear a face covering in hospitality settings whilst not seated for a while as well. They’ve certainly told you to do this in Costa

greyman42

Established Member
Have the government published the new laws regarding licensed premises? I cannot find anything.

BJames

Established Member
Absolutely amazed that masks were not required in taxis and private hire as soon as that applied to other public transport - the closed environment means near guaranteed spread if driver or passenger has it, unless there is a full height screen with no "money hole". Indeed I thought they were!
I thought they were as well. I've just had a cursory look and there's a blog dating back to the 11th August here from Uber that says face coverings are mandatory in their vehicles. Perhaps that's what we were thinking of...

duncanp

Established Member
I wonder if pub hours will ever be unrestricted again? The Police and local authorities notably don't like late opening. Could we end up with it back at 11pm permanently I wonder?

To have pub closing time at 11pm permanently would require legislation, which I think would be extremely unpopular.

Local authorities may impose conditions on premises open after midnight, but personally I don't think there will be a blanket ban on pubs being open after 11pm.

talldave

Established Member
Most people I’ve seen in taxis and most of the drivers as well have been wearing face coverings in my experience for months now. They are just formalising what most people were doing anyway.

You’ve had to wear a face covering in hospitality settings whilst not seated for a while as well. They’ve certainly told you to do this in Costa
Not our Costa, you get free food and upsized drinks if you're a non-wearer!

Andyh82

Established Member
Not our Costa, you get free food and upsized drinks if you're a non-wearer!
You’ve not been in the one in York, you were Strictly not allowed to move from the bit where you pay until the person at the bit where you get the drinks had moved on, resulting in nobody else being able to be served. They were very strict.

Domh245

Established Member
I thought they were as well. I've just had a cursory look and there's a blog dating back to the 11th August here from Uber that says face coverings are mandatory in their vehicles. Perhaps that's what we were thinking of...

After far too many weeks of having that god awful, frustratingly chipper Uber ad about "no mask, no ride" served to me before every other youtube video (I was seeing a variant of it back in June IIRC), I was under the same impression.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Labour would have us locked up till 2022. My partner cancelled her membership because of their stance. So one positive from all this!
That's just the best of a bad deal, it's still a bad deal.
Turning guns on the population is not acceptable.
And it's also political suicide. I don't think any leader of any of the parties is that daft.

duncanp

Established Member
You’ve not been in the one in York, you were Strictly not allowed to move from the bit where you pay until the person at the bit where you get the drinks had moved on, resulting in nobody else being able to be served. They were very strict.

Or the one in North Berwick, East Lothian, where you are not allowed to sit in if you don't happen to have a smartphone to scan the QR code.

My local Costa Coffee has no such silly rules.

Had to laugh at this cartoon in the Telegraph for tomorrow about using the military to assist in enforcing the new COVID rules.

Matt Cartoon - 22nd September..jpg

(Cartoon of an army tank crashing through a wall into a pub with the caption "Time, gentlemen, please")

stevetay3

We may never have had a full lockdown but the fact remains that we are now left with much less of one than before . I for one have never been in favour of lockdowns never have and never will, but the government needs to make up its mind sooner rather than later, economy or no economy, I know which I would choose.

route101

Established Member
Demand seems to be odd at the moment.

We stayed in two premier inns in the Birmingham area at the beginning of the month, and I’d say they were roughly what one would have expected, simply going by price and how busy the car park was.

We then went to a Travelodge in Essex (essentially the only place to stay in the town we wanted to be based) and it was fairly empty, though plenty of vans in the car park which seems to be an increasing trend at these sorts of places.

West Wales has been curious however. Last week the whole place was apparently rammed - could barely get a room for love nor money pretty much anywhere. Even Llanelli premier inn sold out! Yet this week things seem pretty empty. In the hotel we’re in now there were only two cars in the car park on Sunday night. I know there was some kind of walking holiday group here which may have contributed locally last week, but that shouldn’t have made that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure if all this talk of rising infection has put people off, or whether the fine weather last week caused a late rush. So far we’ve been in Wales for seven days and it hasn’t rained yet, which to be fair isn’t bad going, indeed today is the first day the sky has been grey.

Interestingly from what I can gather the local lockdowns only apply to people living in Wales, so in theoretically one could go on holiday from England to somewhere like RCT. This seems sufficiently odd that it seems hard to believe, but I’ve heard it from multiple sources.

Ive stayed in a few Travelodges recently , the prices have been very cheap even in London. The hotels have been fairly quiet and i think theres still long term residents staying in them too.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
What did everyone think of the speech?

Must admit, I find it funny how it's not at all 'realistic' to expect the vulnerable/elderly to isolate/shield whilst we pursue herd immunity, but he does find it 'realistic' and 'possible' that everyone might have to do that if the numbers get too high.

baz962

Established Member
I may be wrong but it seemed like a threat really , possibly just to try and get more compliance with face coverings and social distancing.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I may be wrong but it seemed like a threat really , possibly just to try and get more compliance with face coverings and social distancing.
Yeah I agree with that, it did seem a little like a threat. Not that I agree with it or that it would change my view on anything.

bramling

Veteran Member
What did everyone think of the speech?

Must admit, I find it funny how it's not at all 'realistic' to expect the vulnerable/elderly to isolate/shield whilst we pursue herd immunity, but he does find it 'realistic' and 'possible' that everyone might have to do that if the numbers get too high.

A poor speech, but to be fair I’m so sick of him even if it had been good (which it wasn’t) then I’d have probably been wanting to strangle the television.

No mention of young or working age people at all, which to be honest I thought was particularly poor. Meanwhile the usual continuing threatening tone.

It was actually refreshing to hear Drakeford come on immediately afterwards (presumably this was because I’m in Wales). In the hotel restaurant where people were watching Boris got tut tuts, whilst the comments for Drakeford were “that was more relevant”, even though the message was quite similar - he just managed to serve it up in a more approachable way.

Looks like we’re in for a winter or discontent.

Status
Not open for further replies.