• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of the Class 89

On Moderation
The DVTs are LHCS mark 3s and I linked you to a photo which shows a DVT with 125mph on the data panel. Also, I have seen other mark 3 LHCS with 125mph on the data panel (although some are 110mph as you say). For example, Arriva Trains Wales mark 3 buffet 10249 is/was marked as 125mph, were this and other 125mph mark 3s converted from IC125 vehicles?
There's only been a small number of vehicles converted from HST to LHCS spec: RFMs 10200-211.

The real issue is braking. The secret of the HST is faster brake propagation from the E70/DW2 brake units in both power cars. The LHCS DVTs also had such a brake unit, but AFAIAA they generally ran with just the leading brake unit (E70 or DW3) controlling the train, partly because the locos were 110mph limited so it wasn't needed and partly for reliability as the rear brake control unit could be isolated and not suffer spurious activations if, for example the TDM de-configured.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There's only been a small number of vehicles converted from HST to LHCS spec: RFMs 10200-211.

The real issue is braking. The secret of the HST is faster brake propagation from the E70/DW2 brake units in both power cars. The LHCS DVTs also had such a brake unit, but AFAIAA they generally ran with just the leading brake unit (E70 or DW3) controlling the train, partly because the locos were 110mph limited so it wasn't needed and partly for reliability as the rear brake control unit could be isolated and not suffer spurious activations if, for example the TDM de-configured.
Thanks. Was 10249 retrofitted with better brakes then to allow uprating to 125mph? Or are the brakes on intermediate HST and LHCS coaches the same and the key thing is having the brake units at both ends to apply the brakes simultaneously from both ends (in which case 89 at one end and mark 3 DVT at the other could do the trick)?

On Moderation
Thanks. Was 10249 retrofitted with better brakes then to allow uprating to 125mph? Or are the brakes on intermediate HST and LHCS coaches the same and the key thing is having the brake units at both ends to apply the brakes simultaneously from both ends (in which case 89 at one end and mark 3 DVT at the other could do the trick)?
I have a feeling that the LHCS brake force was adjusted (in the 1980s?) from 7%g to 9%g. I think the lower rating was when they were largely in mixed sets with Mark 1s and Mark 2s and may have been adjusted to 9%g when the 110mph workings started - I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Otherwise, they're the same brake wise and the key to 125mph with the 89 would be having a DVT at the other end and operational E70s/DW3s at both ends.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
wikipedia isn't saying a lot, and it'd be amazing to at least see this on a charter run, any news at all about the possibility of the class 89 being allowed a run out to track or will it just remain static until it fades away or is scrapped?

Thread reopened to allow @ExRes to provide an update.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I saw LSL and ETL have put out an announcement that the parts required to return the 89 to operational status have finally been obtained and the loco will be moved shortly Loughborough for the work to be carried out. I believe the plan is to have it working charter trains with their Intercity rake, possibly as soon as next Summer.

popeter45

I saw LSL and ETL have put out an announcement that the parts required to return the 89 to operational status have finally been obtained and the loco will be moved shortly Loughborough for the work to be carried out. I believe the plan is to have it working charter trains with their Intercity rake, possibly as soon as next Summer.
would it be cleared to run on the WCML? would be cool to see pulling the friday charter if that runs again

12LDA28C

Established Member
would it be cleared to run on the WCML? would be cool to see pulling the friday charter if that runs again

I don't see why not, although I don't expect to see the 'friday charter' running again, circumstances at Avanti have changed since that train ran, indeed LSL cancelled the trains planned for November/December.

Also, given the huge interest in the loco, why would they run it on what was essentially a service train when then could charge more money by using the 89 on dedicated charter trains?

ExRes

Established Member
Thread reopened to allow @ExRes to provide an update.

Thanks to @Mag_seven and @12LDA28C

It's suggested elsewhere that 89001 has been moved ready for road transport from Barrow Hill to Loughborough Brush, parts have been obtained and due to the amount of work being carried out at Barrow Hill the move to UKRail at Loughborough is being undertaken

Mainline equipment installation will be carried out as well as replacement of a faulty blower motor, overhaul of the cab aircon units and fitting of the repaired traction motors, static testing will be carried out before a move to Crewe for movement testing

What, Paddington to Cardiff without bothering with gauge clearance? :)

:rolleyes: You knew what I meant! :p

No point me going all the way to Padd, just to basically come home again

In fact, take the thought further, as it is being operated by LSL:

Class 47 hauled (89 on the back) Crewe-Cardiff with Passenger pickups at Shrewsbury/Hereford/Abergavenny, say 6am for 9am/9:30.

9:30/10am Cardiff to Padd (now 89 hauled) should be there for about 1pm

Whatever for runaround and able to reverse the route

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
Just a quick mention of 89001, there are numerous pictures on Class 60 Group facebook of the DCR locos awaiting their futures at Loughborough, 89001 appears airborne in a couple of the photos inside the shed so work is certainly ongoing

D365

Veteran Member
Just a quick mention of 89001, there are numerous pictures on Class 60 Group facebook of the DCR locos awaiting their futures at Loughborough...
OT, but I doubt it's quite that drastic.

D365

Veteran Member
Thanks @yorkie

@Trackman shared the following update yesterday:
28/02/2024:
With it being a few months since we last updated you on the restoration of Class 89 89001 ‘Avocet’ we thought it was time we broke silence with a small update to let you know how things are going.
As with any one of a kind locomotive that hasn’t run for over 20 years there have been some challenges faced big and small, but working alongside the Electric Traction Limited has been an absolute pleasure whilst overcoming these challenges.
89001 is still currently at UKRL’s Depot in Loughborough where the majority of the works has been completed with final testing the only large item left to complete on the long list of jobs.
The fitment of TPWS 4, Compliant Fire Suppression System & OTMR are now physically complete which is a huge step forward.
It was noticed during static testing in the workshop that the brake frame had a few pneumatic leaks which needed resolving so the brake frame was completely stripped and replacement O-rings sourced. These are sandwiched in between two large manifolds which make up the entire brake frame, this hasn’t been a small job and we can’t thank Electrical Traction Limited enough for all their hard work and dedication to the project. Light is finally at the end of the very long tunnel!
Whilst spanners were being turned in the workshop ETL’s Paul Steane & our own AC Locomotive Engineer Robert Fenner have had several meetings with Network Rail regarding the return to service of 89001.
As you can imagine this is a process that needs to be very thorough and treated with great respect to ensure all parties are satisfied. A plan has been put together and the relevant testing is soon to be started to get the ball rolling for mainline approval. This process isn’t a 5 minute job and will take some time to complete but we think we can all agree .. it will be worth the wait for the badger!
1f9a1.png

Stay tuned for the next update in a few months’ time …