• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of the Class 89

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexl92

Established Member
Definitely. :)
I think any discussion about who’s going to use it and where etc is probably a bit of a waste of time at the moment. Clearly their main thoughts are focused on getting this complicated one-off machine working properly and reliably before they move onto the next stage.
Who knows what’s being discussed behind the scenes but whatever their plans for it are we’ll have to wait for that announcement.
I just wish them all the luck with the testing to be honest and I hope it goes well.

Your point is entirely valid however, given the time and money invested in this restoration to main line standards, I’d be shocked if they havent already had conversations with potential operators.

On Moderation
AC loco group should be collecting some Mk3s from Long Marston in the next week or so, for use with 89001.
Electric Traction owns 11092/099 and 82107 (which are at Castle Donnington) and 12125/154 at Long Marston.

ExRes

Established Member
There looks to be a possibility that the 89 may, and I stress may, be on its way back to Barrow Hill tomorrow, there is currently a VSTP schedule showing for a DCR 1625 0X89

superjohn

What was the business case for 89 then?
I imagine that would be considered confidential among the group members. That said, I can see the potential advantages of a unique, 125mph locomotive in terms of securing mainline work. Remember that electric locos can’t earn any income running on preserved railways in the same way diesels can. As such the main source of revenue would be mainline operations, if they decided to go down that route it meant a complete restoration with all the costs involved. The group membership obviously believe it is a viable project.

On Moderation
I imagine that would be considered confidential among the group members. That said, I can see the potential advantages of a unique, 125mph locomotive in terms of securing mainline work. Remember that electric locos can’t earn any income running on preserved railways in the same way diesels can. As such the main source of revenue would be mainline operations, if they decided to go down that route it meant a complete restoration with all the costs involved. The group membership obviously believe it is a viable project.
I’m struggling to see any case for the 89 in straight commercial terms: one-off, limited/no crew knowledge, limited route clearance and little demand for 125mph electric locos (ie no-one needs one). On the other hand, I can see reason for 86/87/90 locos.

Malcmal

I’m struggling to see any case for the 89 in straight commercial terms: one-off, limited/no crew knowledge, limited route clearance and little demand for 125mph electric locos (ie no-one needs one). On the other hand, I can see reason for 86/87/90 locos.

Maybe they are just rail enthusiasts with plenty of fire in their bellies??? It's not unheard of :D

On Moderation
Maybe they are just rail enthusiasts with plenty of fire in their bellies??? It's not unheard of :D
Indeed! Which is why I said “in straight commercial terms”; there’s plenty of other reasons for restoring the 89.

alexl92

Established Member
A long-term hire to LSL would make sense for all parties though. The group have a legitimate reason to overhaul the locomotive which they're obviously so passionate about (rightly so given its unique status) to main line standard and earn a fee towards its upkeep. LSL get one of the only two 125mph, intercity-liveried electric locos in the country to run with their MK3 loco-hauled set & DVT without having to fund a major overhaul on a unique piece of kit.

I know LSL have 86/87/90s but I'd imagine the ability to run a charter along the ECML within Class 91/MK4 timings would be valuable for pathing purposes.

I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but it makes sense to me!

(Making me think... would love to see LSL pick up a Cl91 but I bet it won't happen!)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
run a charter along the ECML within Class 91/MK4 timings would be valuable for pathing purposes.

The standard charter path on the ECML (and WCML) is traction agnostic. It could fit in to a existing 125mph path only if the current holder of that path makes way for it. Which in current circumstances is quite possible (for a fee).

Speed43125

I never used Realtimetrains in anger before so I could be doing it wrong but that headcode doesn't return any results??
Seems to work for me.
Were you entering "ox89" rather than "0x89" by any chance? I often do silly stuff like that and have it not work on me.

Malcmal

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/62969/2020-10-13/detailed

This is the service that currently operating under 0X89, I'm not fully sure why RTT wouldn't return a result for you, could be as it's running STP but not 100% sure
Seems to work for me.
Were you entering "ox89" rather than "0x89" by any chance? I often do silly stuff like that and have it not work on me.

I was definitely entering the right headcode around 6pm tonight and it didn't work. But when I tried later on it did. So not sure what happened but thanks to both you guys for helping out. I was just curious to see where it was coming from as I was lead to believe that it left Toton a week ago. Seems like this info was incorrect as that headcode was for a Toton -> Barrow Hill move.

Bob figgis

It was supposed to have been moved last week but the movement of the 89 was cancelled. I can’t remember the exact detail but the original path , last week, was used to move other locos between Toton and BH.

Spartacus

Established Member
I was definitely entering the right headcode around 6pm tonight and it didn't work. But when I tried later on it did. So not sure what happened but thanks to both you guys for helping out. I was just curious to see where it was coming from as I was lead to believe that it left Toton a week ago. Seems like this info was incorrect as that headcode was for a Toton -> Barrow Hill move.

Possibly being due to it being changed en-route from 0X89 to 0Q89 as it wasn't required to be an X load.

alexl92

Established Member
It was supposed to have been moved last week but the movement of the 89 was cancelled. I can’t remember the exact detail but the original path , last week, was used to move other locos between Toton and BH.
Apparently the original move was cancelled due to paperwork issues. I believe it was a 37 hauling a 47 but I'm not 100% sure.

ExRes

Established Member
Reported on WNXX today it would seem that 89001 is off next week for its high voltage electrical testing, an STP schedule for a 1000 Barrow Hill LIP to Soho LMD is on RTT for next tuesday

sprinterguy

Established Member
Reported on WNXX today it would seem that 89001 is off next week for its high voltage electrical testing, an STP schedule for a 1000 Barrow Hill LIP to Soho LMD is on RTT for next tuesday
Excellent, will keep an eye out for that on my way in and out of Birmingham later in the week. Thanks for the update.

ExRes

Established Member
The 89001 move is running today but left 30 early, not sure that would be greatly welcomed by anyone wishing to see it, the 89 has ROG 37510 & 47813 for company and moved, almost, to its scheduled timings after passing Toton

ExRes

Established Member
According to an update on the AC Locomotive Group website, after completion of the electrical test work 89001 will undergo design and installation work for GSM-R and OTMR equipment to be fitted