• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

jon0844

Veteran Member
The ratings are still so bad that they may as well just have Farage interviewing Trump 24/7 (I mean both can talk about crap forever) and leave it at that.

Then again, even the ratings for the Trump interview were still miniscule compared to the ITV interview.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They’re getting their money out of Patrick Christys at the moment. I hope they’re paying him well & putting him up in a nice hotel! He hosted his usual slot the last two days and was covering for Dan Wootton in the evening as well. So he’s just finished 11pm tonight and he’s hosting breakfast with Alex Phillips tomorrow and also Christmas Day.

Dai Corner

Established Member
They’re getting their money out of Patrick Christys at the moment. I hope they’re paying him well & putting him up in a nice hotel! He hosted his usual slot the last two days and was covering for Dan Wootton in the evening as well. So he’s just finished 11pm tonight and he’s hosting breakfast with Alex Phillips tomorrow and also Christmas Day.
It's a good job TV presenting isn't a safety critical role with minimum rest periods between shifts!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting to see one of the newsreaders presenting an actual programme tonight.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
GB News was accused of prejudicing a trial but not, in the end, charged with contempt of court in the recent "Colston Four" case in which four people were found not guilty of causing criminal damage when they damaged a statue of Edward Colston in Bristol by dragging it through the streets and dumping it in the port. That they did this was not under question, but nine people were charged with criminal damage and four of the people charged chose to make their cases in court.

I have to admit that I don't quite see how they were found not guilty, but they were entitled to a trial and that's what the result was. I wasn't there to consider their cases whereas the jury was.

GB News decided to report that Bristol council and police might have colluded in the act which they referred to as "white guilt". The judge said that he couldn't square this reporting with GB News' editorial guidelines: (https://www.gbnews.uk/our-editorial-charter) (https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/jan/07/gb-news-accused-of-prejudicing-colston-four-trial)
We stand for:

• The independence of our journalism.
  • Putting facts first.
  • Respect for opinions and those expressing them.
  • The right of every individual to form and share their views.
  • Holding our leaders, our society and ourselves accountable.
  • Bringing clarity to complex and contentious issues.
  • Celebrating the potential and achievements of the individual and communities in shaping their and our nation’s future.
  • Being one team, innovating side by side to bring the best out in each other.
GB News accused of prejudicing Colston Four trial

Rightwing news channel published opinion piece criticising defendants but was not charged with contempt of court

Jim Waterson Media editor

@jimwaterson

GB News was accused of prejudicing the trial of the Colston Four after it published opinion pieces criticising the defendants midway through court proceedings.

The rightwing news channel was summoned to Bristol crown court halfway through the trial in relation to an article and video monologue by the presenter Mercy Muroki titled “I’m in favour of white people calling out racism … but the Colston saga reeks of white guilt”.

In the piece Muroki commented on the ongoing trial and suggested that Bristol council and local police officers might have colluded with a “bunch of anarchic protesters” to tear down the statue of the slave trader Edward Colston. She added: “I don’t need a bunch of white hippies crippled by white guilt to throw a largely irrelevant statue in a river to prove they’re not racist.”

Although journalists can report on most court proceedings, there are tough legal restrictions on what the media can publish before the end of a trial in case it prejudices the jury.

At a hearing on 23 December – which can only now be reported – Judge Peter Blair QC considered whether GB News’ decision to air the monologue constituted contempt of court. “The most pressing matter from my court’s perspective is to ensure that the safety of my trial process is maintained and that I don’t have the risk of jurors coming across this sort of material and the trial being prejudiced by them being influenced,” he said.

The judge read out GB News’ editorial guidelines in court and expressed dismay at Muroki’s opinion piece, saying: “I am struggling to see how, as in GB News’ charter, that this article is ‘respectful’ or ‘sets an example by treating others in a way that they would wish to be treated’.” However, the judge ultimately decided not to pursue a contempt of court charge.

The four defendants – Rhian Graham, 30, Milo Ponsford, 26, Sage Willoughby, 22, and Jake Skuse, 33 – had argued GB News had created a substantial risk of serious prejudice by publishing the material.

Graham’s lawyer Blinne Ní Ghrálaigh argued the GB News monologue “pours scorn on the defendants and it pours scorn on my client in particular”. She said the decision to publish the article during an active trial was “not only contempt, it is entirely uninformed contempt based on fundamental ignorance of what has occurred in these proceedings”.

GB News’ representative, Claire Overman, told the court there had been a “breakdown in communication” at GB News on the day the article and video was published. She said the lawyer on duty at the channel only had a few minutes to look at it while also reviewing other on-air content.

“[The duty lawyer] accepts that by any view on his part he did not appreciate the concern arising from the contents in the time he had,” she said.

She added that GB News had put in place “immediate steps to ensure something like this does not happen again” and would send its staff on media law training to ensure they understand contempt of court law.

A local blog called Alternative Bristol was also separately summoned to court for a potential contempt of court during the trial. They were let off with a warning after apologetically telling the judge they were “more a group of activists than journalists” and in any case “the site only has about 150 hits a day”.

In a statement, Judge Blair said he had decided not refer GB News to the attorney general over the potential contempt of court: “The swift response of GB News in seeking to remedy the position when my concerns came to their attention, the promise of undertaking further focused training of journalists on matters of ‘contempt of court’ and their frank acknowledgment of their errors are, in my view, sufficient and proportionate steps to reflect their culpability on this occasion.”

All four defendants in the case were found not guilty of causing criminal damage by the jury on Wednesday afternoon.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I have to admit that I don't quite see how they were found not guilty, but they were entitled to a trial and that's what the result was. I wasn't there to consider their cases whereas the jury was.
The details are probably for another thread, but the short version is that there are a number of defenses that were argued by the legal teams defending those accused around the specifics of the law around criminal damage and it sounds like at least one of those arguments were successful (remember it is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt, so a defense only has to introduce a small amount of doubt into it). Or of course maybe it was jury nullification for any number of reasons (maybe political sensitivity or they supported the removal of the statue - I do wonder if the trial had been held outside of Bristol if the outcome would have been the same!). Either way we won't know because the jurors can't talk about the case.

In terms of GB News, I somewhat surprised the judge bought the "breakdown in communication" line (which sounds like absolute BS to me). Maybe it is more a case of the judge, knowing this was a sensitive case, didn't want to add any more fuel to the fires?

jfollows

Established Member
Yes, it's off-topic I know, but I now see that the Attorney General (Suella Braverman) is considering referring the appeal verdict to the Court of Appeal, which will please the Daily Mail and its readers (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nfusing-Colston-statue-case-Court-Appeal.html) but I'm totally satisfied that the system worked correctly even though the outcome surprised me.
According to the Daily Mail, her review couldn't cause the verdict to be changed anyway.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, it's off-topic I know, but I now see that the Attorney General (Suella Braverman) is considering referring the appeal to the Court of Appeal, which will please the Daily Mail and its readers (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nfusing-Colston-statue-case-Court-Appeal.html) but I'm totally satisfied that the system worked correctly even though the outcome surprised me.
According to the Daily Mail, her review couldn't cause the verdict to be changed anyway.
Suella Braverman is the female equivalent of Chris Grayling. I think you mean 'referring the verdict' by the way.

jfollows

Established Member
Suella Braverman is the female equivalent of Chris Grayling. I think you mean 'referring the verdict' by the way.
Thanks. She's dreadful but doesn't show up much as such only because surrounded by other equally dreadful people.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know why so many of the Adverts are for companies based in, or with shops in, South Wales?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Does anyone know why so many of the Adverts are for companies based in, or with shops in, South Wales?
Where and on what platform are you watching? It's possible they're able to regionalise the advertising.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Where and on what platform are you watching? It's possible they're able to regionalise the advertising.
On Freeview. I don’t live anywhere near Wales. They don’t have adverts during the programme on their radio station or web streams (just trailers for other programmes, and an advert at the start like you get on YouTube when viewing online).

mikeg

Established Member
Yes I was watching the other day from Bilsdale - so Tyne Tees region and all ads were for businesses in Wales. Thought at first their ads must be so cheap it was economical for local businesses to advertise nationally but then noticed they were all Welsh businesses

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lot of people are asking about the ads, and it certainly does seem a little odd. The ads are (were?) sold by Sky and some advertisers did of course request not to be included (in most cases, they let an agency place the ads for them and take little attention of the finer details) so maybe GB News have changed how they do things.

I am intrigued to see how their DAB radio offering will work, which is massively late in launching. Radio stations often broadcast video these days, but they still produce a programme with radio in mind so you can go without watching. GB News would appear to be just broadcasting the audio from a TV programme with lots of visual elements that won't make sense on radio.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am intrigued to see how their DAB radio offering will work, which is massively late in launching. Radio stations often broadcast video these days, but they still produce a programme with radio in mind so you can go without watching. GB News would appear to be just broadcasting the audio from a TV programme with lots of visual elements that won't make sense on radio.
It launched on Tuesday of last week (Jan 4th). It’s exactly as you describe, just an audio version of the TV. I haven’t actually heard or seen anything that doesn’t make sense yet; it’s probably why, for example, they started just before Christmas getting the presenter of the main programme to voice over the weather rather than just have music. The programmes themselves don’t seem to have many visual elements, and on the odd occasion they do (for example a picture), then the presenters will describe it.

One thing I did notice, is that the radio seems to be about two seconds ahead of the TV.

Dai Corner

Established Member
One thing I did notice, is that the radio seems to be about two seconds ahead of the TV.
There's less digital processing involved for radio so it happens more quickly at both the transmission and reception ends.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A lot of people are asking about the ads, and it certainly does seem a little odd. The ads are (were?) sold by Sky and some advertisers did of course request not to be included (in most cases, they let an agency place the ads for them and take little attention of the finer details) so maybe GB News have changed how they do things.
I saw an ad the other night for Pembrokeshire Gin Co., and it had a thing on it advising of a 10% discount if you used promo code "SKYTV," so I'd assume they are still provided by Sky.

As an aside, don’t think I’ve seen this posted yet, they have another MP presenting for them, Conservative MP for Shipley, and wife of Co-Presenter Esther McVey, Philip Davies. Not sure what happened to TV chef Tonia Buxton who used to co-present with Esther, but by my reckoning this marks the third person [not counting Darren McAffrey] that Esther has held this slot with, after ex-Labour MP Caroline Flint left after only a few shows last year.

Gloster

Established Member
Are viewers expected to stand and wave a flag during the performance?
No, but one expects all the presenters to stand at attention. (If BBC announcers used to have to wear suits on the radio, GB News should maintain the standards.)

alex397

Established Member
No, but one expects all the presenters to stand at attention. (If BBC announcers used to have to wear suits on the radio, GB News should maintain the standards.)
Do BBC announcers no longer wear suits on the radio? I’m disgusted and appalled.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They gave a little sneak preview of what it will look and sound like at the end of Farage just now, if anyone is interested I've attached the link below, hope this video works, should take you to the right timestamp but it is off a livestream.

Also, not sure if anyone else noticed but they have started displaying the weather to the left of their ticker today, instead of their social media stuff. The places earlier started off a bit random with locations such as Elland and Hounslow, but it's a bit better now, although still doesn't have a very good mix of locations. They have the weather on so often though so I'm surprised this was thought necessary.

Scotrail12

Not going to lie that I hate the idea of them having the national anthem.

I like some of GB News' presenters (Wootton, Dolan, Christys, Oliver etc) so still watch a bit but I gradually dislike the channel itself more and more and I'm totally over many of their piss poor panel contributors like Jon Gaunt who we constantly get subjected to. The whole place has began to feel too right leaning for me. The original appeal was the likes of Wootton & Oliver who are against COVID restrictions and just less of a left wing take on things, not hardcore nationalism.

Scotrail12

Gaunt isn't a presenter but often brought on as a panelist in some of the shows. He usually falls out with the other panelists and comes off aggressive.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Gaunt isn't a presenter but often brought on as a panelist in some of the shows. He usually falls out with the other panelists and comes off aggressive.
He's a classic case of someone who, locked in a private room by themselves, would still manage to start an argument. :D

Gathursty

Established Member
I like Patrick, Mercy and Alex Philips.

I strongly dislike Dan Wootton. Constantly smirking and constantly banging on about Meghan. It was entertaining at first but now it's derivative and sad.

His coverage of Covid has always been we need to return to normal asap which I'm fine with but he has crossed a line with his put downs of Whitty etc... and seeking out fringe medical opinions. It's easy to say with hindsight that coronavirus would mellow out and only be devastating for those already infirm etc... but we could only know that with getting data in the first place.

His treatment of Insulate Britain is immature but I can see how he is playing to the audience. My bone of contention is making such a huge deal out of traffic they caused and inconvenience (I'll not defend ambulance blocking.) I think if Dan Wootton wants to talk about road safety, he should call the guy in prison for using his mobile phone in his HGV whilst plowing into the back of the minibus killing a kid and call him a terrorist.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Noticed Conservative MP Dehenna Davison hasn’t been on The Political Correction for two weeks now, and Farage hasn’t been seen since the start of the year.

BUT for the past two weeks it’s been hosted by Arlene Foster & Michael Portillo. Is he a regular presenter now? (he also appeared as a panellist on Tonight in the week)