• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Touched a nerve did I fella? I stand by the statement.

That's evading my question. You implied there is something very racist about GB News, and I was simply asking you to clarify what your evidence for that implied allegation was.

So I ask again. Have you actually watched any of GB News? Have you actually seen them broadcast something racist? If so, what was it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I haven't watched any of GB News myself because it really doesn't appeal to me, but I haven't seen anyone on Twitter, even from the most bad-faith position, argue it's actually harmful and racist. It just seems to be a TV show churning out rather dull, right wing content as far as I can gather. I don't think it's any more sinister than any other privately funded news channel, but I am still surprised that people are watching it (and not just out of morbid curiosity!). Most of the leftie reaction has been one of amusement that Neil's pet project has got off to a wobbly start.

BrokenSam

That's evading my question. You implied there is something very racist about GB News, and I was simply asking you to clarify what your evidence for that implied allegation was.

So I ask again. Have you actually watched any of GB News? Have you actually seen them broadcast something racist? If so, what was it?
Why do you lot get so irate? Embarrassing.

I never said they said anything. Didn't know you had to be so overt about it to be racist anyway?

If you explained that you'll be anti-woke then that is the conclusion to draw. Whats the literal definition of woke again? It's exactly what people would have said during the Rosa Parks incident. It's similar with Colin Kaepernick. Are you going to pretend his situation wasn't drenched in racism? Are you going to pretend that GB News would side with him? Or does it have to be more overt for you?

Typhoon

Established Member
No need for sophisticated campaigns against GB News to reduce its advertising, just let it be known that they regularly feature the bl@@dy Cinch adverts with Rylan Clark Neal. I know enough people who loathe them with a vengeance not to turn on; that will put a dent on the viewing figures.

I saw a segment in which a presenter (possibly Michelle Dewberry) was promoting her programme - it would feature thoughts on PMQs and apparently she likes to find out what her viewers are talking about. So ... a phone in? (Not many of them around.) And the idea that more than a handful would tune in to find out what happened at PMQs I find difficult to contemplate. Maybe they are saving original content up but so far I just don't see any evidence that they are trying to carve out a niche market for themselves, except, say, as a background in a reception or waiting room, where their studio based output might be more acceptable than other providers' foreign correspondents footage.

Geezertronic

Established Member
It's similar with Colin Kaepernick. Are you going to pretend his situation wasn't drenched in racism? Are you going to pretend that GB News would side with him? Or does it have to be more overt for you?

Colin Kaepernick started his career promisingly, but after his SuperBowl loss his performances and career went downhill from there. The writing was on the wall for him as a starting Quarterback long before he started sitting and subsequently kneeling.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I haven't watched any of GB News myself because it really doesn't appeal to me, but I haven't seen anyone on Twitter, even from the most bad-faith position, argue it's actually harmful and racist. It just seems to be a TV show churning out rather dull, right wing content as far as I can gather. I don't think it's any more sinister than any other privately funded news channel, but I am still surprised that people are watching it (and not just out of morbid curiosity!). Most of the leftie reaction has been one of amusement that Neil's pet project has got off to a wobbly start.

I think being dull would be my complaint. I was initially very receptive to the idea of the channel because - since the rise of identity politics - I've strongly felt the BBC, ITV and other broadcasters have been continually pushing a kind of cultural politics that feels completely alien to me. So when Andrew Neill started talking about a news channel that represented people who felt excluded and marginalised from mainstream broadcasters, my mental reaction was something like, Yessss! That's me! And this kind of news channel is exactly what we need!

But having intermittently watched bits of it since Sunday, I'm getting disappointed. I guess I was hoping for something that would be informative and show news without the pro-identity-politics values that seem to have infected pretty much all the other media that I used to trust. But what it seems to be so far is mainly panel discussions and debates and reading out opinions that people have emailed in. And frankly I can get that by just going to Twitter directly. I don't mind the high level of technical flubs - they don't by themselves stop it being watchable. And I also haven't seen anything objectionable in it. Certainly nothing that would remotely justify for example, the campaign Stop Funding Hate are running. But most of the content isn't really as informative as I'd have liked and I'm finding I'm quickly getting bored and switching off again. I guess it's early days though - it probably will take the presenters a while to find their feet, so it may be a case of checking back in a month or so's time to see whether it's improved.

Last edited:

BrokenSam

I think being dull would be my complaint. I was initially very receptive to the idea of the channel because - since the rise of identity politics - I've strongly felt the BBC, ITV and other broadcasters have been continually pushing a kind of cultural politics that feels completely alien to me. So when Andrew Neill started talking about a news channel that represented people who felt excluded and marginalised from mainstream broadcasters, my mental reaction was something like, Yessss! That's me! And this kind of news channel is exactly what we need!

But having intermittently watched bits of it since Sunday, I'm getting disappointed. I guess I was hoping for something that would be informative and show news without the pro-identity-politics values that seem to have infected pretty much all the other media that I used to trust. But what it seems to be so far is mainly panel discussions and debates and reading out opinions that people have emailed in. And frankly I can get that by just going to Twitter directly. I don't mind the high level of technical flubs - they don't by themselves stop it being watchable. And I also haven't seen anything objectionable in it. Certainly nothing that would remotely justify for example, the campaign Stop Funding Hate are running. But most of the content isn't really as informative as I'd have liked and I'm finding I'm quickly getting bored and switching off again. I guess it's early days though - it probably will take the presenters a while to find their feet, so it may be a case of checking back in a month or so's time to see whether it's improved
What offends you about it? The world changes. Live and let live. It's easy if it doesn't effect you

dosxuk

Established Member
What offends you about it? The world changes. Live and let live. It's easy if it doesn't effect you

Where did they say they were offended by it?

It's quite possible to find something dull without being offended.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, GB News had mega-crank Lady C (Colin Campbell's wife) on the show yesterday to discuss whether Epstein was a paedophile or an ephebophile, as if there is some sort of important distinction. Not exactly a stunning editorial decision, to be honest!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, GB News had mega-crank Lady C (Colin Campbell's wife) on the show yesterday to discuss whether Epstein was a paedophile or an ephebophile, as if there is some sort of important distinction. Not exactly a stunning editorial decision, to be honest!
It really is beyond parody

birchesgreen

Established Member
Just seen a clip of the Apprentice woman reading out a message about Cleo Torez sent in by Tess Tegal.

Last edited:

thenorthern

Established Member
The play-out for GB News is very bad as graphics are played at the wrong time and the sound is often awful.

It's catering to a gap in the market though as there is growing disillusionment with the current offering. It's the same with LBC when it went national it filled a gap in the market.

dosxuk

Established Member
They took a video question from a guy not wearing any trousers tonight too.

jfollows

Established Member
I just thought I ought to watch the channel before writing it off - and the video and audio aren't synchronised properly, it's only a small discrepancy but it's enough to notice and completely off-putting. How on earth can a group of "professional media" people make such a mistake?

Typhoon

Established Member
Big brands must not 'succumb to pressure groups' by pulling adverts from GB News, Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden warned last night.

He defended the UK's 'free and diverse media' after major companies withdrew commercials following pressure from Left-wing campaigners.
Perhaps not, Secretary of State ...
Just seen a clip of the Apprentice woman reading out a message about Cleo Torez sent in by Tess Tegal.
They read out comments by Mike Oxlong and Mike Hunt as well.
Maybe they don't want to be associated with inept journalism?

In the '90s there was a spoof tv programme called K Y T V. According to its Wikipedia entry:
Comedic elements included:
malfunctioning equipment;
rolling news channels with little content or analysis;
sensationalist and dumbed down shows (Murder. Gruesome, bloody murder. Coming right up, after the break. Tell your neighbours);
underpaid, incompetent and amateurish staff;
lavish 'showcase sequences' compared to shoddy, makeshift visuals or unfinished sets;
endless repeats of imported or old (and therefore cheap) programmes as an attempt to fill yawning gulfs of airtime;
relentless commercial intrusions, including plugs for shopping channels ('By the way, Mike, that's a very smart tie you have on!' 'Yes, and it's only £18.99 at Sofa Shop!')
They are well on their way (although the repeats appear to be their own programmes overnight).

They have had time to prepare, I was hoping for some investigative journalism as in Dispatches or Panorama; interviews with those who are usually ignored by the media. I might watch Neil Oliver, as I usually find him engaging but that's it. In doing so I find that many of the weekend's programmes are hilights of programmes from during the week. So, on Sunday I can find out what happened at PMQs? Its a News Channel, I would expect to hear ... news; by Sunday I will have consigned Wednesday's paper to recycling.

Is Roland Rat available?

Edit - Dowden quote is from https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...ture-secretary-warns/ar-AAL7Ef4?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited:

johncrossley

Established Member
GB News is regulated by Ofcom just like all other terrestrial TV channels, so there's only so much they can get away with.

I looked it up, using the old MPEG-2 encryption and an average bit rate on order of only 1MBps, operating at only 544x576.
(For reference BBC News normally runs about 1.9MBps)

Nevermind that I can't see why you would launch a new channel using MPEG-2 in 2021.....

How many non-HD receivers exist these days?

There is limited capacity for HD on Freeview. The main HD multiplex which has BBC One HD etc. looks to have some capacity but is probably very expensive. There is temporary HD capacity which covers about 70% of the UK population which is cheap but will be switched off soon due to the frequencies being required for 5G mobile networks. Basically we need another "digital switchover" from DVB-T to DVB-T2. But that would be controversial as some people would need new set top boxes.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
GB News is regulated by Ofcom just like all other terrestrial TV channels, so there's only so much they can get away with

Absolutely and thus far they don't actually seem to offer up much news. It is all right wing comment and editorialist thought. Those rules mean they have to behave however I am sure pressure will come to water down the OFCOM guidelines just as there is pressure from part of the media, especially the Murdoch media, to change the BBC

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yes - such a large gap that it has to be filled with many publications such as the Sun, Mail, Express etc.
The Sun and the Mail are easily the highest-selling newspapers. A TV channel aimed at a similar audience would appear to be a good commercial proposition. I'm not sure GB News is that though; where are the celebrity gossip, sport and scantily clad young ladies?

Scotrail12

Not her, the one who won. Dewsberry. They haven't had Hopkins on yet, things can always get worse.
They’re not going to get Hopkins on - the station might be right leaning but not far right plus they are at mercy of Ofcom. No way will Hopkins be back on UK TV or radio.